what ever happened to the collyer brothers?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'll be able to see an interview with the 3 of us (rather than just me) in Shortlist magazine and online in a few weeks time.

The 3 of us also did the press conference together when we announced FML.

To answer other questions, no, I'm no relation to Stelios and the guy who did the original editor (Boah) is very much at SI (his real name is Svein). I used to use that editor myself to do the first data updates for the game back in 1995...

I remember downloading 'miles files' many moons ago. Were they your creation?

I didn't realise both of you were still involved. infact i was sure that you broke up the Partnership and one of you kept Championship Manager and the other went on to make Football Manager. Did i just completely imagine this?

if so then who is responsible for CM and how did they get the rights to it if you're both working on FM?

• SI Staff
I didn't realise both of you were still involved. infact i was sure that you broke up the Partnership and one of you kept Championship Manager and the other went on to make Football Manager. Did i just completely imagine this?

if so then who is responsible for CM and how did they get the rights to it if you're both working on FM?

Yes, you must have imagined that, we have had nothing to do with CM since SI left Eidos.

• SI Staff
Ahh, on the ball...

Back in mid '90 i was crazy about CM and On the ball, and i was always thinking those Collyer brothers will see OTB once and they'll implement OTB graphics in CM, but it never happend.

15 years later, i still think it would be great to have a background pictures of dressing room, training ground, and all other club screens in FM.

We always found graphics "for the sake of it" a bit unnecessary to be honest. A lot of games around then (and now in fact) do this window-dressing.

That said, I think FM has really come on in terms of presentation over the years.

Probably around the time Paul and I realized we couldn't create graphics to save our lives and we really ought to get some help - now you have people like Ter who actually know what they are doing :)

Yes, you must have imagined that, we have had nothing to do with CM since SI left Eidos.

ah well, im glad you're both on board with FM anyway. I've spent years gutted at the apparent break up of the best partnership since sliced bread.

I take it Eidos owned the rights to CM then? if so does that mean there is a danger of having to change name again if you ever leave Sega, or is it a different kind of deal with more power now you're responsible for some of the biggest selling PC games of all time?

can i just say thank you

many an enjoyable hour i have played on footie manager and plus you have probably saved my relationship in a round a bout way, after having children you gave me a bearable excuse to stay in and not go out with the lads, thus saving me no end of earache

thank you

ah well, im glad you're both on board with FM anyway. I've spent years gutted at the apparent break up of the best partnership since sliced bread.

I take it Eidos owned the rights to CM then? if so does that mean there is a danger of having to change name again if you ever leave Sega, or is it a different kind of deal with more power now you're responsible for some of the biggest selling PC games of all time?

I believe that eidos owned the rights to the name CM and SI the rights to the actual game code! That's why SI started the FM series (well bought the rights to the name as it had already been used and shelved).

• SI Staff
can i just say thank you

many an enjoyable hour i have played on footie manager and plus you have probably saved my relationship in a round a bout way, after having children you gave me a bearable excuse to stay in and not go out with the lads, thus saving me no end of earache

thank you

That makes a change - normally FM gets blamed for causing relationship problems, not solving them!

That makes a change - normally FM gets blamed for causing relationship problems, not solving them!

A few years ago, FM ruined uni and relationships. Now I've graduated and working full time and in a good relationship and FM does keep me in, on my laptop, downstairs on the sofa with my fiancee as she watches telly. She even asks me how its going on the game too. AND when it comes to games on the 360 or PS3, she actually LIKES to WATCH me play them haha. I found a keeper!

• SI Staff
A few years ago, FM ruined uni and relationships. Now I've graduated and working full time and in a good relationship and FM does keep me in, on my laptop, downstairs on the sofa with my fiancee as she watches telly. She even asks me how its going on the game too. AND when it comes to games on the 360 or PS3, she actually LIKES to WATCH me play them haha. I found a keeper!

Excellent - so it's kind of evolved over time according to your circumstances. I like it.

I hope it doesn't go full circle though and you forget your tenth anniversary because you have an important Cup Final :)

A better question would be , when they first started cm, who was top of the charts :) , oh yeah and were flares in then?
Excellent - so it's kind of evolved over time according to your circumstances. I like it.

I hope it doesn't go full circle though and you forget your tenth anniversary because you have an important Cup Final :)

To paraphrase Alan Partridge - "Which are the unimportant cup finals in FM? I've got to hear this..."

Admittedly, destroying a ten-year relationship for the sake of a Hong Kong FA Cup final might be somewhat unfortunate. If you lose, anyway...

• SI Staff

In answer to dragosani's question about whether flares were "in" then.

No, they weren't. We're talking the mid/late eighties when we first started this - so unfortunately, it would more likely be drainpipe jeans and dodgy perms back then.

But hey, enough about my brother...

(Just picture for a moment a youthful looking Paul Collyer, with a floppy fringe and a bass guitar, hunched over a computer in a darkened room muttering "We'll get these people addicted bruv - it might take 20 years, but we'll get there in the end, and then just to really mess with their heads, in 2008 we'll remove the tactical arrows" followed by evil cackling and the sound of the howling Shropshire wind)

No, they weren't. We're talking the mid/late eighties when we first started this - so unfortunately, it would more likely be drainpipe jeans and dodgy perms back then.

(Just picture for a moment a youthful looking Paul Collyer, with a floppy fringe and a bass guitar, hunched over a computer in a darkened room muttering "We'll get these people addicted bruv - it might take 20 years, but we'll get there in the end, and then just to really mess with their heads, in 2008 we'll remove the tactical arrows" followed by evil cackling and the sound of the howling Shropshire wind)

You guys are really evil! I wonder what will you do with fm2010. Ooooh, I'm so scared, I don't want even to imagine it.

What a brilliant thread to have the 2/3 main guys behind the whole series in here responding!

I hav eplayed CM/FM ever since CM1 with fake players and remember thinking "this would be amazing with real players" The Collyers duly obliged and i've been addicted ever since. I will always remember one normally forgetful summer due to solid rain we couldn't go out to play footy, so we spent a whole 6 week school hol playing season after season of CM. I will never forget wasting £1m (a ton of money back then) on a "foreigner abroad" regen called Torben Schmeichel. I was a laughing stock with my mate when he pipped me to the title on the last game of the season, when i'd been top every single game until the very last :-(

So thank you Paul, Ov and Miles (not forgetting the rest of the amazing team) you have given me many happy years and thousands of wasted hours playing a silly computer game thats completely amazing when things DO go right on the rare occasions I actually string together back-to-back wins (any chance of making the game just 1 notch easier back to FM05 days? - Worth asking I suppose lol)

Cheers again guys - KUTGW!

can i just say thank you

thank you

I use a few little tricks with my fiance that makes her feel involved, and leads to her asking me how the game is going.

I once started a game as Coventry (her local club) and said I'll add her into the game with any job she wanted -she chose physio (I try not to think too hard about why she wanted that job)

If we come back from somewhere we really like on holiday I'll start a game with the local club (e.g. Rimini).

And she has banned me from ever selling Xabi Alonso because he "looks like such a nice boy"!

I used to have a letter from Ov explaining how not to ruin my copy of Cm on the Amiga , as i kept forgetting to save my game and if you didn't you screwed up the disk, I think he felt sorry for my clear lack of any intelligence, and was rather kind to me sending me a replacment disk :) , after my rather shaky start with CM back in the day i have never missed a release, so you may say you are not so good at Pr Ov I however beg to differ .

Just found this after a google search:

Championship Manager '94: End of Season Edition is the sequel/expansion to CM 93/94. A popular "cracked" version of the game was available for the Amiga, that featured 2 fictional super-players called Mark Collis and Ferrah Orosco.

But I definitely don't agree with it because as I said I never had a cracked version. I wouldn't even have known what cracked meant back then, so unless the cracked version was sold in a box at the shops (and I don't mean down the local car-boot sale) the players were also in the legitimate game.

Just picture for a moment a youthful looking Paul Collyer, with a floppy fringe and a bass guitar, hunched over a computer in a darkened room muttering "We'll get these people addicted bruv - it might take 20 years, but we'll get there in the end, and then just to really mess with their heads, in 2008 we'll remove the tactical arrows"

Well that's the intro to the next issue of The Bootroom written!!!

LOL! The comment about the arrows was brilliant, the debate going on in the 'An open and Honest letter to SI....' is very interesting and well worth a read. Good to see the guys that invented the game we all spend so much time on are still involved. By the way am I right in thinking that Sega actually bought SI (can't remember if I read that somewhere or not)?

Nice to hear from the starters of the series and good to know you are still working on FM.

I got hooked on the Champ Man Italia version, great game........Van Basten was awesome on it.

that was a cracking version, lentini was awesome also when he finally came back from his mega injury layoff lol

Cantona was a monster in CM Italia. I got him to score more than 100 goals in a season for my Milan side

that is impressive, I mentioned a few weeks ago about this version I had Brian Laudrup get about 130-150 assist's a season for milan. They were awesome back then. Brings back memories :D

Archived