Managing your teams rivals

So as a Manchester United fan, I find it nearly impossible to manage Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea in the game.

I have played every edition of the game for 17 years now, and have NEVER managed any of these clubs.  Barring one time many years ago me and a friend (also a Man Utd fan) played a network game where he chose United, so I went Arsenal.

Anyone else feel the same? Is this worthy of it's own topic? 

1 hour ago, FrazT said:

I dont think that there will be many users who could choose to manage a bitter rival, unless of course they were doing so in order to trash the club.:D

Yeah I once joined City and sold everyone in first team and reserve....shifted all payroll to money.....and then spent all money to buy a sunday league player....:)....I resigned after that....

In real life board would never allow outgoing transfer in first place or approve incoming transfer......I can only wish :D

Being an Arsenal fan, I could never bring myself to properly manage Chelsea or Tottenham. I did manage them many years ago, but only to ruin them with the old 'release everyone and then resign' trick. I once got Spurs relegated to the Conference within four seasons doing this. :D

I've no problem with managing Manchester United, though. Most of my early CM saves were with them.

1 hour ago, OhHoopedOne said:

Serious question, can you get a team liquidated on FM? Just curious

No, you can't. The worst you can do is take them into administration, as far as I am aware.

Also a United fan. I never actually start as Man Utd but rather as a Conference club and work my way up. I'm OK with accepting Chelsea or Arsenal job but not Liverpool or City, just can't bring myself to manage either of those clubs. Not even to "destroy" them which seems a bit pointless anyway.

As a guy that don't even buy players that has been tainted by City and Liverpool I could never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever manage any of them!

I also enforce a City/Liverpool transfer tax when I sell players to them. If they want one of my players they have to double what everyone else has to pay. 

Man Utd on the other hand get a transfer discount. If they want one of my players I will usually settle on a reasonable price. I also allow United to purchase players that are not for sale at any price to other clubs, but in those cases United has to break the bank in order to get them.

One example from my current save is a wonderkid striker I had at Middlesbrough. I sold him to United for £110 mill. There is no way I would have let him go if it were any other club.

If your ''Favourite Club'' is a ''Fierce Rivalry''  isn't FM coded so that it has an impact on your managing ability of the rival or even getting the job. Supporters of certain Clubs will forever hold your past against you. 

He wasn't a supporter but Alex Mcleish has never recovered after his Blues to Villa switch, would never get the Celtic job regardless of how succesful he mayhave become. And George Graham was always on a hiding to nothing at Spurs.

7 hours ago, Chinook2000 said:

If your ''Favourite Club'' is a ''Fierce Rivalry''  isn't FM coded so that it has an impact on your managing ability of the rival or even getting the job. Supporters of certain Clubs will forever hold your past against you. 

He wasn't a supporter but Alex Mcleish has never recovered after his Blues to Villa switch, would never get the Celtic job regardless of how succesful he mayhave become. And George Graham was always on a hiding to nothing at Spurs.

Indeed - even when we won the cup the chant was infamously "Man in a raincoat's blue and white army!" as we couldn't bring ourselves to sing his name :D

I have played FM since the start and have never managed any other Club than West Ham, bar the odd stint with England.  Did try starting off as unemployed once but didn't get very far so just stick with The Hammers these days.  Been slightly tempted to take over one of the Manchester clubs purely on a financial basis to see what you could achieve with the top players but never gone through with it because it just doesn't seem right!! 

Still get a chill down my spine to think Redknapp managed Spurs IRL and even worse the great Billy Bonds had a brief period at Millwall.  What was he thinking!!!!

How has nobody mentioned the fact that Judas Mourinho is now managing Manure?!

Been done on player level a lot too.. Figo at Real and Barcelona, Owen Liverpool and Manure to name but 2. 

I did manage Juventus on FM12, but only because they had a regen striker called Mark Whelan, who was an improvement on Messi (same technical and mental attributes, with 15s and 16s for heading, jumping, strength, to this day he remains the best player I`ve seen in an CM/FM game), and I wanted to see what I can get out of him. He was the top player in that save for years, think he was 25 or 26 by the time I joined (around 2024-2025 season, I previously had stints at Fiorentina and Bayern), he was a monster of a player, ended up winning everything, went unbeaten in the Serie A, only lost one game in the Champions League group stage and he scored some 60 goals in the Serie A alone and 4 goals in the Champions League final, think it was against Bayern Munich.  I did beat Inter twice in the league, which felt awkward, but hey, we`re professionals and we need to do our job. :D

Never managed Milan though, and I wouldn`t consider Roma or Atalanta as rival teams to Inter (teams I have managed at one point in my CM/FM playing days).

10 hours ago, OhHoopedOne said:

Has anybody ever came across a situation in FM where an AI manager has done a Jorge Jesus?

I`ve had Guardiola  sacked by Man City then join Man United on FM17, and Pochettino taking over at Arsenal after being sacked by Tottenham.

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's who I manage, I just need to feel a slight connection in some manner to the club otherwise I lose interest.

That connection can be very tenuous - nothing more than I liked one of their players once, or they had an historically interesting manager/player, or they are tactically interesting.  Heck it may be nothing more than just their shirt colour or their stadium.

So yeh, I'm a West Ham fan and I've managed Chelsea and Tottenham.

On 25/3/2017 at 02:01, DannyFM87 said:

Anyone else feel the same? Is this worthy of it's own topic? 

The majority feels the same!
99 (including me) out of 100 people feel the same.

But this thing has its roots outside of the football world.
You are born on this planet and you are bombarded every day with stuff that don't let us evolve.
Be a member of a "team" (whatever "team", not just football) so to feel you are also a part of that team, feel you are someone, become "someone". Hate the people who joined another team. Hate the other team. Keep supporting "our" team cause the other team are cheaters/irrational.

And what you do as you become older is you start questioning things.
"Why do i really hate the other team? I don't know them personally".
"So, should i just hate them cause someone else told me to"?
"Could it be that my folks(and the world) taught me the wrong stuff"?

And as you become older you start to detach yourself from that awful "reality" and become free.
Some people can't do it. MOST people can't do it. They have jobs which take 12hours a day from them and when they return home they are so tired, all they want is to sit in the couch (rightfully so) and just watch TV and relax. They don't have the time to philosophize and they accept everything the TV told them.
You find the time only when you retire, 70 years old, but now it doesn't matter, you can't make a difference to the world anymore..

So, yes, i haven't managed Panathinaikos (Olympiacos' rival in Greece) and won't manage them. I don't like their colours. I don't like the fact that they used to be "the team of the rich royalty".
Same with Real Madrid. I will never manage them cause they are "the royalty". I prefer Barcelona who are "the people's team".
I don't like Partizan, cause Crvena Zvezda is our "Orthodox Brothers" (although i am an agnostic-atheist) and they hate Partizan, so i also have to hate them.
I don't like Dinamo Zagreb cause they have the rivalry with our "Orthodox Brothers" and a rivalry as nations.
I don't like teams in Turkey, cause the world taught me that we(the Greeks) were right and the Turkish were wrong.
I prefer Bayern cause of their colours.
I prefer Man Utd cause of their colours and because in my childhood they had a good team which won the Ch.League. Later they had Van Nistelrooy whom i had a shirt. I also like Liverpool. I hate Chelsea, Man City but i don't know why. Arsenal=neutral.
I prefer Inter or Milan and i hate Juventus cause they ridiculed Olympiacos in Ch.League season 03/04 with 7-0 in Delle Alpi.
I prefer Benfica cause of their colours, but no hate towards Porto.
France=neutral
Holland=Ajax cause they are the most famous and i like their colours.

Hope you won't find it offensive and you'll get my point.

Well the reason I posted this is that on a lot of other forums I read, and even this forum to some extent, I see United fans posting in Arsenal threads.. I've even seen a Man City fan playing as Man Utd etc.. (not sure I'm allowed to mention the forums by name, so I wont) 

30 minutes ago, DannyFM87 said:

Well the reason I posted this is that on a lot of other forums I read, and even this forum to some extent, I see United fans posting in Arsenal threads.. I've even seen a Man City fan playing as Man Utd etc.. (not sure I'm allowed to mention the forums by name, so I wont) 

The world does change, but with a very slow pace. Veeeery slow pace.
It's nice when things like that happen. You couldn't imagine a Man Utd fan and a Man City fan discussing peacefully in the 90's, could you?
One day there will be no hatred. Sure, we will also lose the "romance" of the sport, but it's already happening with clubs acting as corporate businesses.

EDIT: Btw, the previous post wasn't about you specifically.

Archived