FM17 - What database size are people using?

Now that the game is fully out, what database size/leagues are people going to aim for especially with 64bit helping to process games faster?

Currently I am going try 26 nations / with about 36 leagues.

Nations I've added are: Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Scotland, Serbia. Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and Uruguay.

Only the top division for each of the nations, except England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

This gives me 96,000 players on a Large database.

• Administrators

Generally run about 10 nations, roughly about 17 leagues and a large database. Normally try to load the major European leagues, the two main South American then one from Asia and one from Africa. Ends up about 60k players which works fine for me. 

This can obviously change depending what nation I'm playing in, but that's my rough setup. 

I for the first time ever am going to dive head first into a European Journey Man save, starting in the Lower Leagues of Scotland and England  with no experience or badges and seeing where the adventure takes me.

11 Nations (OCD as there are 11 players in a Team)

Scotland - All Leagues

England - All Leagues

Belgium - Top 2 Leagues

France - Top 3 Leagues

Germany - Top 3 Leagues

Italy - Top 3 Leagues

Netherlands - Top 2 Leagues

Portugal - Top 2 Leagues

Russia - Top 2 Leagues

Spain - Top 3 Leagues

Turkey - Top 2 Leagues

All playable form the start (although I will only accept a job offer from a Team in Scotland or England's Lowest League as my first job).

Large Database, No Transfers in the first window and I forward the game to today November the 4th before I start to apply for jobs.

I'm looking forward to the adventure.

1 minute ago, roykela said:

All nations with all leagues + custom db = around 300k players.

A saved game with that many players could become unstable over the seasons. I recommend between 100k and 150k as maximum.

I know. Had around 200k-250k players on FM16 and i was doing about 50 seasons there. Worked as a charm.
This year i just wanted to push it, after it turned 64-bit. Going to be interesting to see how far i can get before it all crumbles.

4 hours ago, harrycarrie said:

Huge database, plus the top five European leagues (Serie A, La Liga, Premier League, Bundesliga, Ligue 1). 37k players, plus all nations set to 200 youth rating for added top class regens.

How do you get the Huge database option or is that a community modded feature?

2 hours ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

92 leagues.  forgotten amount of nations but it's pretty much all of them on large DB.  No slow down at all in past after multiple seasons. still in first season on fm 17 but going to get most the season done later

That's quite a lot of leagues. How many players is that? You must have a beefy PC to be running that with no slow down.

41 minutes ago, MegaBrickzFMG said:

I have loaded 10 nations, 17 leagues should I be worried that I only have a 2 & half star rating for performance?

A lot of people say not to worry about the star rating  as it's not a reliable indicator of performance expectation.

4 hours ago, KUBI said:

A saved game with that many players could become unstable over the seasons. I recommend between 100k and 150k as maximum.

I've had full detail all league saves run for 30+ seasons with over 300,000 players, iirc my FM12 save ran for 50 seasons.

Just now, Barside said:

I've had 30+ season full detail all league saves with over 300,000 players, iirc my FM12 save ran for 50 seasons.

Good for you, but it's known for years that it causes issues with newgens and general stability. That was the reason SI did remove the huge database option.

6 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Good for you, but it's known for years that it causes issues with newgens and general stability. That was the reason SI did remove the huge database option.

What were the issues with the newgens?

13 minutes ago, KUBI said:

That's a present day myth born out of the use of .ddt files back in the CM days, the way that the club shortlisting & newgen code has been developed in the decade since that was true means that huge databases are perfectly stable for long-term saves.

As I said the huge database option was removed for a reason. When you have 300k players and 80 leagues loaded you may simply don't see when there is something strange in a league. But again, if you are happy with your save, just continue. 

11 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

I seem to have the same allowances on FM 17 as I did with FM 15, 120,000 players. But due to the silliness withe Brazilian League I might knock it down to 1 division and add some others

What's the Brazilian silliness?  you mean the team names being 3 letters only?  sure there is a certain file which fixes that available 

30 minutes ago, KUBI said:

As I said the huge database option was removed for a reason. When you have 300k players and 80 leagues loaded you may simply don't see when there is something strange in a league. But again, if you are happy with your save, just continue. 

It's tough to give up myths.

I assume that you have analysed data to prove what was a problem on much older games in the series still exists in FM17.

6 minutes ago, Barside said:

It's tough to give up myths.

I assume that you have analysed data to prove what was a problem on much older games in the series still exists in FM17.

Just continue your huge save and be happy. :)

38 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Strange as in how? Development-wise or something else?
I think this is my 4th year (could be 3rd) i'm going with all leagues and a big db. Normally i've just gone with a large db but this time i just want to push it a bit.
I haven't noticed anything weird in my journeyman saves at all. I could have been just lucky, of course.
The only negative effect i've had is slowdowns on days like transfer deadline day, new year, new season.

Would be nice to know so i could keep a lookout. Then i could register what it the issues could be, for future iterations.

7 hours ago, KUBI said:

Just continue your huge save and be happy. :)

So that's a no. :D

7 hours ago, roykela said:

Strange as in how? Development-wise or something else?
I think this is my 4th year (could be 3rd) i'm going with all leagues and a big db. Normally i've just gone with a large db but this time i just want to push it a bit.
I haven't noticed anything weird in my journeyman saves at all. I could have been just lucky, of course.
The only negative effect i've had is slowdowns on days like transfer deadline day, new year, new season.

Would be nice to know so i could keep a lookout. Then i could register what it the issues could be, for future iterations.

In much older versions the regen system could not cope when a player retired because their reincarnation would have to be generated in an active naton & there were fewer sanity checks in regards to nationality & ability. This became less of an issue with the regen system was replaced with the newgen system & over the years the newgen code has been tightened up to ensure that the player database balance is retained for the life of teh save.

All te test saves that I've run in recent years & those of SI show that teh issue KUBI mentons doesn't exist.

I also loaded most Nations and Leagues last year and had them running on full detail. Got to around 2039 with no issues, other than it being very slow. :D

When I eventually start a save, I'm definitely doing the same again, since the game is faster now.

The game is running unexpectedly slow on my machine. 

First I've created a game with a large DB (+70k players). Then I thought that DB size might be the cause of slow gaming experience. What I mean by slow is it took 1-2 sec. to swich between menus e.g. (Players profile to Squad or Scouting). 

Then, I've chosen a smaller DB size (30k players), however, the game continues to perform slowly. I am watching matches in 3D, which is perfectly fine. Only problem is that there is constant lag between menu transitions. 

What do you think is the problem?

My Comp. Specs are:

AMD FX8350

16GB RAM

250GB SSD

GTX 770

Windows 10-64Bit

The main impact on game speed is not the amount of leagues you are loading, it's how the game simulate this leagues. Full detail slows the game, because all fixtures are calculated with a match report. If you add 100 leagues and selecting NONE in the detail level, the game will be faster as a game with 20 leagues and all in full detail.

It's the same with adding leagues as playable or not. Adding leagues as view only has no impact on the size of the db, while adding a league as playable loads the majority of players and staff from those league.

It's all about finding the right combination with leagues and detail level for your computer. It's a myth that the bigger the db the more realistic the game play. 

30 minutes ago, KUBI said:

It's all about finding the right combination with leagues and detail level for your computer. It's a myth that the bigger the db the more realistic the game play. 

With a smaller database and limited leagues loaded, isn't there an issue where the game lacks diversity in nationalities and gets dominated by nations you have loaded?

Just now, Powermonger said:

With a smaller database and limited leagues loaded, isn't there an issue where the game lacks diversity in nationalities and gets dominated by nations you have loaded?

This has improved a lot in recent years.  And even when you are using a small database you can use the advanced settings to load the top players from Europe, Africa and South America into the game. 80% of the players in the db have no impact on the quality of their nation, as those players lack the quality to become national players.

I have 13 nations, with approximately 36 divisions.

Playing in Argentina, I loaded all South American playable nations, Mexico, and then also the major European nations to ensure an active transfer market and to increase the challenge. I do like to customise the database heavily too, and have a range of the non-playable divisions also running. In total, around 115k players.

7 hours ago, Barside said:

In much older versions the regen system could not cope when a player retired because their reincarnation would have to be generated in an active naton & there were fewer sanity checks in regards to nationality & ability. This became less of an issue with the regen system was replaced with the newgen system & over the years the newgen code has been tightened up to ensure that the player database balance is retained for the life of teh save.

All te test saves that I've run in recent years & those of SI show that teh issue KUBI mentons doesn't exist.

I understand. That's probably why i haven't had any issues then.
Good to know nonetheless, in case something would happen. Thanks for the info Barside :thup:

4 hours ago, KUBI said:

The main impact on game speed is not the amount of leagues you are loading, it's how the game simulate this leagues. Full detail slows the game, because all fixtures are calculated with a match report. If you add 100 leagues and selecting NONE in the detail level, the game will be faster as a game with 20 leagues and all in full detail.

It's the same with adding leagues as playable or not. Adding leagues as view only has no impact on the size of the db, while adding a league as playable loads the majority of players and staff from those league.

This hits the nail on the head for me and my issue.

My dilemma is that I (obviously) want an active and competitive transfer market and realistic world football environment. The best way to achieve that seems to be by loading as many playable leagues as my PC can manage.

However, I only intend to manage Liverpool. So I do not need other leagues to be playable. It also means that I choose to only load the top league of every other country in order to avoid bloating the game with players that will not be on my radar.

So, ideally, I would choose English top 4 leagues as playable and then every other country's top league as view-only (detail none). Then add to that the players from the top teams of each continent.

However, I have noticed that unless other leagues are playable I get a much shallower pool of staff to choose from. Admittedly, I only witnessed this problem twice on FM16 but it has made me think a bit before starting my big 17 save.

I am currently thinking of using the large/huge database and adding a few more playable top leagues from the really significant footballing nations and leaving the more peripheral ones as view-only.

Does anybody have any helpful insights or suggestions related to this type of one-club, top-level game?

• 3 weeks later...

Having trouble starting a new game. Is there a certain amount of time I should have to wait when the game is "setting up database"? The load bar has gone as far as it will but I've been stuck there (with the same tip) for numerous hours. I've loaded a large database with all English players, along with Maltese selected and various leagues, mainly all View-Only. I've got a couple of editor files added on, one being making the Maltese league playable, the other being my own edits (which is simply making the Stalybridge squad up to date and adding a couple of media outlets for the area).

Player count is only 108,000, well below recommended but it's not going anywhere! :( Help!

53 minutes ago, miguelinho said:

Having trouble starting a new game. Is there a certain amount of time I should have to wait when the game is "setting up database"? The load bar has gone as far as it will but I've been stuck there (with the same tip) for numerous hours. I've loaded a large database with all English players, along with Maltese selected and various leagues, mainly all View-Only. I've got a couple of editor files added on, one being making the Maltese league playable, the other being my own edits (which is simply making the Stalybridge squad up to date and adding a couple of media outlets for the area).

Player count is only 108,000, well below recommended but it's not going anywhere! :( Help!

Perhaps try removing the custom database files and then retry creating a new game? If that still doesn't work you might need to get Steam to check the integrity of the installation files, a file may of gotten corrupted.

On 07/11/2016 at 21:39, Becanes said:

So what impacts realism the most?  

The nations you don't load will become significantly weaker in time. So, for example, if you load only Scotland, when your team reaches the Champions League, it will be unrealistically more powerful compared to the other non-Scottish sides.

17 hours ago, Powermonger said:

Perhaps try removing the custom database files and then retry creating a new game? If that still doesn't work you might need to get Steam to check the integrity of the installation files, a file may of gotten corrupted.

Cheers. It was my own edit file impeding the load. Is there any way of pinpointing what could have caused it?

Archived