FM17 - What database size are people using?

I just click on every available country and play with their default number of leagues. All playable. Then I go into advanced data base and add every continent with high rep players, top league players, international level players ... and 1 or 2 categories more that I don't remember right now. Result is some 180k players/staff in the resulting data base at the start of a save. Plays fine on a Intel Core i7 6700HQ processor and 8 GB's of DDR4 RAM and a SSD.

For me, it's the only way to play.

I use Huge database size.  I load anything between twelve and twenty five nations and always load down to their bottom divisions.

Twelve nations are always loaded - England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Scotland, Belgium, Holland, Norway, Argentina and Brazil.

I am fairly regimented so if I load certain, nations, I must load others.  If I load Sweden, for example, then I have to load Finland, Iceland & Denmark too.  Russia then Ukraine gets loaded.  Austria, then in come Switzerland etc etc.

It depends on the kind of game I want. In one of my current saves I'm managing Liverpool and trying to completely change them into a home grown haven; only signing players who are home grown [England], or can become home grown [club] within 3 years.

So I've loaded a large database plus all English Leagues, Wales, Scotland, Ireland (north & south), Denmark, Holland, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal. As well as all players of English nationality. It's about 70,000 players at game start but my PC is super fast and there's no issue.

I have all European nations fully simulated, plus China, Australia and USA, on the largest possible database with all players loaded from each continent. It was some-hundred thousand players...and not recommended by the game. It's a set up I did try before 64-bit, but it's running like a dream for now. Much faster than any save I've had previously on FM, with any edition of the game (exempted perhaps the odd attempt at Dafuge).

Regarding any of the myths on page one, well I'm far from concerned. I'm unlikely to get more than ten seasons, playing at the pace I do, so I doubt I'll run in to any trouble. If someone manages to make an MMO that's in any way decent I might not get that far.

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Is it worth loading loads of leagues on small database 

or a few on large? 

I believe running loads of leagues on small is fine, from memory @Cougar2010 is a bit advocate of using a small database with lots of leagues.

The difference between each database size I have found is about 3000 additional players per size increase. So if you load say 20 leagues equaling 50000 players on a SMALL database, a MEDIUM database setting for the same amount of leagues will be roughly 53000 players, where as on a LARGE database there will be about 56000 players. MEDIUM and LARGE database size will include more players from non-loaded nations or leagues that are in or close to the nations loaded.

What you don't want to do though is add heaps of extra players with a small amount of active leagues or else there is not enough teams to go around to sign and play the excess players.

• 3 weeks later...

My laptop is by No means fast, 1.9ghz processor 6gb ram so actually falls short of ideal recommendations for the game, but I've started a save loaded 33leagues from 15nations(90k players and staff)and it says performance will be half a star 🤔But havent seen much difference from a 1 league save, only issue seems to be when a new month loads, usually takes a minute longer but I can live with that

I've been playing fm for years and I've realised I don't know what all these options mean or do.

Have I understood?

playable - I can manage any club and loads max amount of players

view only - loads some players, not all. I can't manage. Will maintain the competiveness of the clubs/nation in competitions. Clubs will make bids for my players the same as they would if in a playable nation

not selected - loads very few players, clubs and nation will become uncompetitive.  Far less clubs will bid for players making it hard to sell

small, med, large db - from the options I've chosen above, this selects how many players are loaded. So 1 playable league with a small db might have a similar number of players to 1 view only league on a large?

Thanks

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 08:04, Leccy said:

I've been playing fm for years and I've realised I don't know what all these options mean or do.

Have I understood?

playable - I can manage any club and loads max amount of players

view only - loads some players, not all. I can't manage. Will maintain the competiveness of the clubs/nation in competitions. Clubs will make bids for my players the same as they would if in a playable nation

not selected - loads very few players, clubs and nation will become uncompetitive.  Far less clubs will bid for players making it hard to sell

small, med, large db - from the options I've chosen above, this selects how many players are loaded. So 1 playable league with a small db might have a similar number of players to 1 view only league on a large?

Thanks

Being new to the game after a long time away, I would like to full understand this too. Can someone from SI clarify?

Obviously I want the most realistic set-up without running many leagues i.e. the possibility to buy and receive bids from anywhere in the world.

And if you increase the database size where are these extra players based? If they are spread around the world that's great, but as someone suggested, if there is no competition for these signatures does that make the game too easy?

It really should be made clearer what effect the different options have.

20 hours ago, charlie82 said:

Being new to the game after a long time away, I would like to full understand this too. Can someone from SI clarify?

Obviously I want the most realistic set-up without running many leagues i.e. the possibility to buy and receive bids from anywhere in the world.

And if you increase the database size where are these extra players based? If they are spread around the world that's great, but as someone suggested, if there is no competition for these signatures does that make the game too easy?

It really should be made clearer what effect the different options have.

Some years ago I had the same questions and after some searching i found this:

So, obviously, "playable" leagues will have more transfer activity than the "view only" ones. Concerning regens, check this: https://community.sigames.com/topic/188501-view-only-vs-playable-regens/ and this: https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/23jowa/if_a_league_is_view_only_can_i_still_get_regens/

Now, it all depends on your system. If your pc can handle it, use as many playable leagues as you can, the rest as view only. And always use Custom Database and "load players from"... Not just Small/Medium/Large.
My pc is 7 years old. i3 540 3.07GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 1GB GDDR3, no SSD, Windows 7 64-bit. I am only going to manage one team, Olympiacos in Greece. I will never manage any other team. Have a look at my setup for FM16 (haven't bought FM17 yet but i guess it has the same leagues, maybe more) and my explanation as to why i chose that setup:
-50 Nations (40 Playable-10 View Only)
-75 Divisions (60 Playable-15 View Only)
-Custom-Large Database with 140 Nations (Loaded "Current International Players" from 140 Nations and "Players from Top Division Clubs" from 80 Nations)
-Total of 140.000 Players
-Full Detail selected for the 1st division of 20 leagues and 15 other competitions (World Cup, EURO, Copa America, Ch.League, Europa League, Copa Libertadores, etc.)
-Half-star rating (although i never cared about that rating).

Check the leagues i loaded:
https://postimg.org/image/55eznl9oz/
https://postimg.org/image/f6esc3x3h/

You may ask "why did you load so many leagues if you are only going to manage one team?" And my answer will be "because i want as much realism as i can get".
You might wonder why did i load Belarus and Israel? Because of Bate Borisov and Maccabi (they regularly play in Ch.League and Europa League). Why did i load Ireland or Iceland? Because i want their national team to have real players and keep getting regens. Same goes for Colombia/Mexico and many other leagues.
I have loaded the first 4 divisions in England, although i will never manage there nor will i ever buy any English player. Why? Because England has the best league and i want to remain that way for realism.
I also chose to Load "Players from Top Division Clubs" for the following African Nations which don't have a league to load: Algeria, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Congo, DR Congo, Egypt, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Mali, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal and S.Africa. Why? Because French clubs have no limitations on buying African players, they can buy as many as they like. Why Cape Verde? Because most Cape Verdians have Portugal as second nationality and i want Portuguese clubs to have more options in the transfer market.
For now, i don't care for Asian leagues that much. I only loaded "Players from Top Division Clubs" from China, Qatar and UAE.
What about the transfer market?
On a previous save with Olympiacos i had offers for my players from Austrian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Hungarian ,Mexican, Polish, Romanian, Slovenian and Swiss clubs. Not to mention the offers from Ukranian, Dutch and higher league clubs.

Is my game slow? Yes. Every first day of transfer periods and especially on transfer deadlines. I have to wait 5 minute on transfer deadlines but after that i am free to continue. Ok, it gets worse the more years you progress but it's tolerable.

Don't be afraid to choose a larger database with more players. Forget about the star rating system. Your game is gonna be fine, just a bit slower.
My advice for you would be to use as many leagues as you can with a custom-large database and as many players as you can. 100.000 is fine, 150.000 is better. You could also run a holiday save for a couple of years to test the transfer activity on leagues you don't want to add. You could also use genie scout and search for yourself, how many regens did each country get on the annual youth intake.

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

What I like to do is base the leagues loaded based on the continental qualification (via co-efficient in Europe, other continents is more tricky and less consistent).

So for example right now I am starting a worldwide swashbuckling career save starting off based in SE Asia with Klassen's league files megapack you can get from the EH part of the forum.

I have loaded all the leagues in Europe which get 1 guaranteed spot in the UCL group stage (and have done the similar for Africa & Asia too although Africas I have adjusted this rule to be two guaranteed due to how the nations get slots ). This can also be dynamic so I can add/remove leagues based on leagues performance in game. For example if the Greek top division gains co-efficient and gets an automatic GS spot then I will load this league to show its increased importance and demote another). I find this is an efficient/crude way of deciding which leagues to load which avoids my own inherent bias & knowledge set.

North America is very much dominated by Mexico and US and the same for S.American with Argentina & Brazil so I'm sticking with these, although if I do end up there I will load others too. I leave Oceania alone because its complete unimportance to world football (sorry)! If I end up in Europe I may add more leagues, but essentially the aim is to be dynamic based on where my career leads me to while recognizing world football as a whole and becoming ingrossed in the gameworld.

Although I also like to go down the route of loading leagues that have links (say USA/Mexico, England/Scotland or as I have done at the moment; I have loaded up extra all the leagues in the sub-confederation for SE Asia region (so Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia etc) so I have plenty of choice and potential to go anywhere starting out. Then leaving it to a holiday until the current date and starting applying for jobs then which I would hope is another neat idea to (somewhat) randomly let the game pick a starting club for you.

On top of all this, I ensure all continents have continential rep/comp players with more local customisation via the database settings. (eg. UK & Ireland - national rep because thats where I'm from).

Oh, and even if you just do a very basic save and load the big European leagues. You have to load Argentina/Brazil surely!! Big argument for MLS & CSL now given their growing status.

On 4/10/2017 at 12:22, oche balboa said:

Well i'm running a game with over 40 nations and 80 divisions on a small database and its quicker then 10 nations on a large database. 

Really?  That literally makes no sense

44 Leagues (all playable), Huge Database, 121,000 players. 4.5 stars for Computer Performance and 0.5 Stars for Estimated Game Speed but it runs better than FM 15 on the same PC, although I'm only 2 seasons in. I had to switch to Borderless Window though, as it was lagging in Fullscreen.

Intel i7 3820 @4.3ghz, 16Gb 1600mhz DDR3, Windows 10 64-bit, standard HDD

• 3 weeks later...

I read this thread- and other familiar threads- very carefully but I yet have to find an answer about how I should choose my database/league- settings. The issue is that there is a lot of disagreement on this topic.

My goal is to have a longtimesave, which is quite fast and stable. On the other hand I want much realism/diversity as possible. Even more important for me is a good pool from regens and staff where I can choose from.

So what to do? A moderator in this thread said he wouldn’t recommend to go over 150k players as otherwise the game could be unstable. But there are others who have chosen many leagues and players and are doing okay.

What is better:  to choose more leagues or more players? Let’s say you have activated players in the league which isn’t playable- what is the difference to a scenario where you also activated the league?

As I said my focus is on the regens/staff. Also I won’t care so much about “garbage regens”.

The only benefit of view-only leagues is that you can look up the stats of the league, they won’t produce more regens, is that correct?

My PC-specs are:  16GB RAM; 4970k

. My suggestion would be 15 nations and 25 divisions (all playable) and “load players from top division clubs” on every country, and all players of the nation for South America and Germany, which would lead to 133k players.

To refer to my point where I ask what´s the difference between adding leagues and players- What should I add: More leagues or more players?

Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, jusinho9 said:

To refer to my point where I ask what´s the difference between adding leagues and players- What should I add: More leagues or more players?

Definitely more playable leagues.

More leagues=you make sure for example that, even after 5 years, the Swiss League will generate more regens than if it was in "View Only" mode.
More players=when you start your save you make sure that more real players (and staff) of our world will be in your database (even the crappy ones).

You should make sure that you have at least most first divisions set as playable.
Are you concentrating solely on the Bundesliga?
Regarding the South America nations, do you really need the Bolivian division for example?

Also, a large database will make sure that you will have more players (and more regens) after some years, but you will also have crappier players (and crappier regens).
Personally, I found the balance by using a medium database.
There were some interesting conversations in this thread. Maybe check it?

11 hours ago, jusinho9 said:

A moderator in this thread said he wouldn’t recommend to go over 150k players as otherwise the game could be unstable. But there are others who have chosen many leagues and players and are doing okay.

You are relying on luck. You can't be sure if your save is going to be 100% stable after 10 years... Chances are it will, but you never know.
Also, if you are going to add new leagues (like the claassen ones), you decrease your chances a lot!

Meh, my browser got closed, answer was gone.

-

That was the kind of reply I was looking for, thank you very much @ilkork. Yeah, I read that thread already, so your name was familiar to me already. It’s nice to write with a person who also was struggling with that choice. :p

4 hours ago, ilkork said:

More leagues=you make sure for example that, even after 5 years, the Swiss League will generate more regens than if it was in "View Only" mode.
More players=when you start your save you make sure that more real players (and staff) of our world will be in your database (even the crappy ones).

Hm, that makes sense. But you are writing yourself that with a larger database will lead to more regens in the future (however, the percentage of crappy regens will increase). You wrote in the other thread:

On 14.3.2017 at 00:07, ilkork said:

I've also read after searching that, if you "load players from top division clubs" for a nation and you DON'T add that league as playable you will get more regens from when you didn't "load players from top division clubs" for that nation (and still didn't load that league as playable).

I liked the tip "load players from top division clubs", because I thought it would increase the diversity of game in future.

Are you concentrating solely on the Bundesliga?
Regarding the South America nations, do you really need the Bolivian division for example?

Yes, I am going to work only in the Bundesliga.

Argentina and Brazil seem like regen- and staff paradise so I wanted to make sure to max everything out, to get the most of those countries as possible. As I set “load players from top division clubs" for the whole globe anyway, the difference for the rest of the countries of South America wasn’t that huge anymore.

You are relying on luck. You can't be sure if your save is going to be 100% stable after 10 years... Chances are it will, but you never know.
Also, if you are going to add new leagues (like the claassen ones), you decrease your chances a lot!

I going to make a lot of back up saves.

My complete suggestion:

(With 16GB RAM; 4970k)

17 Nations, 27 divisions (all playable)

Spoiler

Germany (3)

Argentina (2)

Belgium (1)

Brazil (3)

China (1)

Colombia (1)

England (3)

French (2)

Dutch (1)

Italy (1)

Mexico (1)

Portugal (1)

Russia (1)

America (1)

Uruguay (1)

Spain (2)

-Picked the countries based on my preferences and on this guide: https://www.passion4fm.com/football-manager-scouting-regions-nations-youth-rating/

-“load players from top division clubs”- for every country but Germany, Brazil and Argentina, which I loaded max- (maybe i will deactivate that option for some "useless countries" like you did.)

-130k players

How many leagues I can add without risking too much? I am thinking about: Switzerland, Serbia, Scotland, Turkey and Greece. I am also thinking about if to activate some of them/others as viewable, as they have teams in the CL.

By the way, your contributions in the different threads were very helpful, thank you again.

32 minutes ago, jusinho9 said:

You wrote in the other thread:

On 14/3/2017 at 01:07, ilkork said:

I've also read after searching that, if you "load players from top division clubs" for a nation and you DON'T add that league as playable you will get more regens from when you didn't "load players from top division clubs" for that nation (and still didn't load that league as playable).

I liked the tip "load players from top division clubs", because I thought it would increase the diversity of game in future.

I can't be 100% sure about this. Although I've read it somewhere, it doesn't make sense.
"Load Players From Top Division Clubs" makes sure that there aren't any grey players in teams (it loads the real world players, even the crappy ones).
I am not sure if it helps with getting more regens though.

Yes, I am going to work only in the Bundesliga.

Argentina and Brazil seem like regen- and staff paradise so I wanted to make sure to max everything out, to get the most of those countries as possible. As I set “load players from top division clubs" for the whole globe anyway, the difference for the rest of the countries of South America wasn’t that huge anymore.

You don't really need to "load players from top division clubs for the whole globe anyway".
If you do, the crappy players will be in your game.
For example, do you really need to load players from Iran or India or Singapore? I don't think so.

What you need to do though is to make sure you have as many German related countries as you can.
Let me explain myself.
Germany has many refuges. Many are from Turkey and some are from Greece.
So, you also have to add the Turkish and Greek leagues, so to make sure there are more regens in the future who can have German as a second nationality.
Same goes for Poland, Austria, Switzerland. These nationalities tend to have German as second nationality, right?
Make sure you add these.

Regarding South America, yes, Brazil and Argentina are a must.
Then, second tier leagues are from Uruguay, Chile, Colombia and Ecuador. Bolivia (and maybe Ecuador) isn't really worth it.

If you can have 130k players, you can make better configurations and remove the unimportant leagues.

That was the kind of reply I was looking for, thank you very much. Yeah, I read that thread already, so your name was familiar to me already. It’s nice to write with a person who also was struggling with that choice. :p
By the way, your contributions in the different threads were very helpful, thank you again.

Thank you very much for the kind words.
Actually, many people from the forum have helped me (including mods).

1 hour ago, jusinho9 said:

How many leagues I can add without risking too much?

Also, forgot to add about that.
You can't really say.
I am in my 3rd year atm, and already had 2-3 crashes. Not much of a problem though, as I backup frequently.

You can find my setup in the other thread, here (the last setup):

(But don't do the same setup, as I mentioned the important stuff about German related leagues)

On 7.5.2017 at 18:34, ilkork said:

I can't be 100% sure about this. Although I've read it somewhere, it doesn't make sense.
"Load Players From Top Division Clubs" makes sure that there aren't any grey players in teams (it loads the real world players, even the crappy ones).
I am not sure if it helps with getting more regens though.

Buf if it would be like that, then the clubs only would have no-grey players at first, when the player would retire, and no regens could come, most players in the teams would be grey. I find it a crucial point, because that way you would get rid of all the simulating of leagues you dont need. There might be many garbage regens for many countries though.

I will have a look on the youth intake in my save and compare. However, they wont be much grey players to replace within the first year.

-

Okay, I added those leagues.

I think i found a good mixture now. 27 Nations, 39 Divisions, 130k players (maybe i am going to add some leagues with the time)

I changed the option "load players from top division clubs" to "load players from topclubs only" for many countries outside Europe. Or do you would suggest i should leave those countries completly out? Do you think i would get any benefit from any of the lesser rated football countries? Would love to get some staff/regens from an exotic country. (Edit: It would only lessen the database for 10k players, so its not a big difference anyway.)

Thanks.

Ok, first some thoughts:

Buf if it would be like that, then the clubs only would have no-grey players at first, when the player would retire, and no regens could come, most players in the teams would be grey.

That's correct.
If you "Load Players From Top Division Clubs" for a league that you didn't set as playable or view-only, after some years, those teams will be full of grey players.

I changed the option "load players from top division clubs" to "load players from topclubs only" for many countries outside Europe.

One example.
Suppose you didn't set the Egyptian League as playable or view only.
But, if you choose "Load Players From Top Division Clubs" for Egypt, then the teams in first division will have as many real players as possible.
If you choose "Load Players From Top Clubs" for Egypt, then, not only the teams in first division will have as many real players as possible, but also other Egyptian teams. How many more teams? Depends on the reputation of those teams.
At least that's my take on it. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Do you think i would get any benefit from any of the lesser rated football countries?

Naaaah.
What's 1 very good regen per year(or maybe less) from, let's say, Egypt? Does it matter to you? For me, no.

Would love to get some staff/regens from an exotic country.

Well, that's your choice, but, is it really so important?
Do you prefer to load Azerbaijan, Iraq or Singapore so to get some staff but add more players(the crappy ones in particular) and make your game slower?

(Edit: It would only lessen the database for 10k players, so its not a big difference anyway.)

That may sound "not a big difference" to you, but, have you considered the leagues you'll set to Full Detail after you set up the database? Because "Full Detail" will make the game slower but more realistic.
(Setting a league to full detail will make sure that matches are played in the match engine and are not calculated just by reputation).
Are you only going to set Germany to Full Detail?

Finally, let me help you a little bit more with some questions.
How are you imagining your save? What do you want from your save?
What do you want from Europe and S.America in terms of progress and what from countries in N.America, Africa, Middle East, Asia, Oceania?
Do you care about the progress in Middle East, Asia and Oceania? Personally, I don't. I wish I could, but my computer can't handle 200k players. That's why I choose some countries from those continents.

Let me add something.
If you want "exotic" players, you should only add more leagues from countries you may get a feeder club, for financial gains. Like Japan, China, USA...
If you have a player in your club from, let's say Japan and you also have a feeder club from Japan, then you increase your profits.

EDIT: And it's not even necessary to do that, because I am sure you will get a regen without adding those leagues as playable.
View-Only will do.

Wow, thanks for your quick (and detailed) reply. I just was about starting a game, so you are just in time.

To the first parts: I understand and see it the same way.

46 minutes ago, ilkork said:

Naaaah.
What's 1 very good regen per year(or maybe less) from, let's say, Egypt? Does it matter to you? For me, no.

If the very good regen is good enough to play for my team (which will be though, because i am managing Bayern :P), then it matters for me. Especially if you take in consideration that you have that chance for many nations.

52 minutes ago, ilkork said:

Well, that's your choice, but, is it really so important?
Do you prefer to load Azerbaijan, Iraq or Singapore so to get some staff but add more players(the crappy ones in particular) and make your game slower?

By skimming the recommend staff lists (was only watching it for the nations) I actually found a Coach from Azerbaijan who was on top of a list. My take on the thing is if a country is "garbage" (footballwise) then you still have a good chance, as there are so many garbage nations, so a few of them will produce some talents. Not only I hope to increase the general amount of quality staff/players but also, like i said the diversity.

1 hour ago, ilkork said:

That may sound "not a big difference" to you, but, have you considered the leagues you'll set to Full Detail after you set up the database? Because "Full Detail" will make the game slower but more realistic.
(Setting a league to full detail will make sure that matches are played in the match engine and are not calculated just by reputation).
Are you only going to set Germany to Full Detail?

I think you mean "set as playable?" Every of my selected 39 divisions is playable. View only doesnt make much sense for me, i didnt chose it for any of the leagues.

1 hour ago, ilkork said:

Finally, let me help you a little bit more with some questions.
How are you imagining your save? What do you want from your save?
What do you want from Europe and S.America in terms of progress and what from countries in N.America, Africa, Middle East, Asia, Oceania?
Do you care about the progress in Middle East, Asia and Oceania? Personally, I don't. I wish I could, but my computer can't handle 200k players. That's why I choose some countries from those continents.

My fear is that I would be missing something if I wouldnt "empower" every nation at least a bit- if you dont have activated the league _and_ no players activated through the player database, i doubt there will be regens. The crucial questions is: with "load players from top division/top clubs" will there be enough quality regens to justify the more players. I really want to dive deep into that game-however I intend to only work with Bayern, so this is an aspect which speaks for your point of view.

Also i thought that adding players doesnt slow down the game as much as adding leagues does. In my opinion 27 nations and 39 leagues are quite many and I am not sure if adding more mediocore european leagues would benefit me that much.

I will adding some competitions (u-tournaments etc ) when i am in the game btw.

1 hour ago, ilkork said:

And it's not even necessary to do that, because I am sure you will get a regen without adding those leagues as playable.
View-Only will do.

Hm, yes.

-

6 hours ago, jusinho9 said:

I think you mean "set as playable?" Every of my selected 39 divisions is playable. View only doesnt make much sense for me, i didnt chose it for any of the leagues.

No, I mean this:

Spoiler

Detail_Level.png

Look what I have done with Premier League, despite the fact that I only(and will only) manage in Greece.
That is the "Full Detail" option. By setting a league to "All".
I did the same to some other leagues and cups, because they are important (ofc my main leagues in Greece):

Spoiler

Detail Level:

Greece: 1st Division, 2nd Division, Greek Cup, U20s League
England: Premier League
France: Ligue 1
Germany: Bundesliga
Italy: Serie A
Portugal: Liga NOS
Spain: Liga BBVA

All - FIFA World Cup, FIFA World Cup Playoffs, UEFA World Cup Qualifiers, CONMEBOL World Cup Qualifiers, FIFA Confederations Cup
All - Nations League, EURO, Euro Qualifiers, Euro Ch'ship Qual Playoff, Copa America
Later Stages - UEFA U21 Championship, UEFA U19 Championship, FIFA U20 World Cup
Main Stages - UEFA U21 Qualifiers, UEFA U19 Qualifiers
All - Champions League, Europa League, Super cup, UEFA Youth League, Copa Libertadores
Later Stages - FIFA Club World Cup

Now check what other people had said on that:

On 24/12/2015 at 22:13, Seb Wassell said:

A playable league with detail level set to none will use the Quick Match Engine. This simulates the match using a wide variety of factors; you would see as a realistic table as you might through using the Full Match Engine (obviously upsets and anomalies are possible in both!). This alone would not weaken a league.

Transfers are not affected by detail level, but rather the Playable/View Only options.

Cheers,

Seb.

On 7/11/2016 at 10:42, KUBI said:

The main impact on game speed is not the amount of leagues you are loading, it's how the game simulate this leagues. Full detail slows the game, because all fixtures are calculated with a match report. If you add 100 leagues and selecting NONE in the detail level, the game will be faster as a game with 20 leagues and all in full detail.

It's the same with adding leagues as playable or not. Adding leagues as view only has no impact on the size of the db, while adding a league as playable loads the majority of players and staff from those league.

It's all about finding the right combination with leagues and detail level for your computer. It's a myth that the bigger the db the more realistic the game play. 

On 11/3/2017 at 01:43, Cougar2010 said:
On 11/3/2017 at 01:23, ilkork said:

Unfortunately, the questions never end...
Do i really need to load "players from top division clubs" for countries like Azerbaijan, Estonia, Faroe islands etc?
Not if i don't care about them always failing in EURO qualifications or Ch. League qualification, right?

I wouldn't & don't bother with it.

The clubs shouldn't always fail as they'll get grey players who are of a similar standard to what you would expect at the club based on their rep.

I used the following advice from Cougar2010 for the African, Middle Eastern and Oceanian countries and some unimportant European countries:

On 10/3/2017 at 23:45, Cougar2010 said:
On 10/3/2017 at 23:40, ilkork said:

What about Argentina and Brazil? I wanna buy regens from there and sign staff.
What about the African national teams who compete in World Cup or the regens from that continent?

How many newgens are you going to buy from South America? 10, 100, 1000, 10000?

Countries still produce newgens even if they aren't active, just not as many as they don't have to fill domestic squads.

Same with African countries, sure there might be some grey players in some International squads but thats better than the gameworld being filled by newgens that you don't use.

So, to summarise @jusinho9:

-Set as "playable" as many countries are "important" in Europe.
You chose Germany as your main country, so make sure you also set as playable, at least the first division from most European countries (with some exceptions if you like).
-Set as "playable" all the leagues from Germany and the countries that could create regens with German as second nationality (Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Turkey, Greece).
-Set as "playable" the important S.America leagues (as many as you like) with the exception of Peru.
-Set as "playable" the Mexican league and if your pc can handle it, the USA league.
-Set as "playable" the S.African league, if your pc can handle it.
-Don't set as playable any Asian leagues. If your pc can handle it, add China.

Only one league from the "lesser important" nations is fine. You don't have to add the 2nd or the 3rd divisions for such nations (like Belarus, Colombia, etc).

-You should at least copy my setup regarding the "Load Players From Top Division Clubs" and other options and then build from there (add more if you like). Here (it's towards the end).
-I chose most options for Greece, you will do the same for Germany (and as many more countries as you like, but this will add more players, even the crappy ones).
-Choose only "International Players" for nations that you don't care if they progress.
-You don't really have to use a "Larger" database. Medium will do just fine. In fact, with medium you'll have more transfer activity (with small even more).

-Set to Full Detail, only the most important leagues and cups. Don't overdo it because your game will be very slow.
And "Full Detail" doesn't affect regens, only the "realism" of matches.

I can't think of something else atm.
Of course, the previous is just my opinion. You can do whatever you like and if you add extra leagues (like the claassen ones), your DB will get bigger in size. But also, the risk of crashes is greatly increased.
Someone who plays, for example in Brasileirao, shouldn't choose the same setup.
My advice was for you only, because you will manage in Germany.

EDIT: Sorry, :idiot:.
Egypt isn't added in the original game. I meant S.Africa.
Bolivia is also not added in the original game. I meant Peru.
Japan is also not added in the original game.

@ilkork Well done for explaining the difference between active and full detail, I imagine a lot of people don't even know it exists.

Am I right in thinking that leagues in full detail will tend to dominate continental competitions over time?  I'm sure i've read this somewhere?

*edit* btw I only manage lower leagues myself so I've started to put the leagues directly above and below me into full detail as I feel it will give more realistic promotions/relegations

On 10/5/2017 at 00:46, bennytee said:

@ilkork Well done for explaining the difference between active and full detail, I imagine a lot of people don't even know it exists.

Thank you very much mate :). And sorry for the very late reply, I was banned for a couple of days (for stupid reasons, let's forget that).

Actually, that's knowledge that was passed onto me through searching this forum.
Really, there are many explanations out there. The problem is that all of them are into different topics and not combined into one.

On 10/5/2017 at 00:46, bennytee said:

Am I right in thinking that leagues in full detail will tend to dominate continental competitions over time?  I'm sure i've read this somewhere?

Hmm, no.
Playable vs View Only will affect that. Here it's explained in more detail. But for people's convenience, let me paste it here as well:

On 7/11/2009 at 20:18, Amaroq said:

No. There's a huge difference in processing speed between "View Only" and "Playable".

In a league which is completely off, there are no fixtures, you cannot see a league table, clubs' AI is fairly inactive/passive, and promotion/relegation/European spots are done purely by reputation. What you'll notice in a long-term game is basically the same four clubs qualifying for the Champions League over and over, though if you pay close attention to their first-round C.L. match, you can figure out who finished 1st/2nd, who was 3rd, and who was 4th, and that will change occasionally based on their C.L. wins/losses. On a "Small" database, regens are fairly uncommon.

In a league which is "View Only", there are fixtures, however, each match is resolved super-quickly based primarily on the clubs' reputation. Therefore, you can see a league table, and promotion/relegation/European spots are done by table, so you'll see a bit more variation. The clubs' AI is still fairly inactive/passive, which means that the top clubs eventually "fall behind" the top clubs in your Playable nations. On a "Small" database, regens are fairly uncommon.

In a league which is "Playable", but on low detail, there are fixtures, and each match is resolved based on the quality of the players involved .. but the full match is not simulated, so it is of average quickness; you can't watch match highlights. You can see a league table, and promotion/relegation/European spots are done by table. The clubs' AI is now active/aggressive, which keeps the top clubs in line with the top clubs in other nations. Regens are created annually for every club just as they are for yours.

In a league which is "Playable" and on "Full Detail", such as the league your club is in, there are fixtures and each match is resolved in every-touch-of-the-ball detail, which is extremely slow. It does give you the ability to watch highlights or even full matches, and of course there's a league table and proper promotion/relegation/European spots. The clubs' AI is active/aggressive, and regens are created annually for every club.

. . .

So, setting a league on "View Only" gives you a marginally better experience, with more variation in the promotion/relegation/European spots. It doesn't really make the league into an active league, but it isn't going to cost you much processing time, either.

Because of the difference in A.I. strength, I like to set the top divisions of the big-five European nations to "Active" so that I know that, no matter where I'm managing, the Barcelonas, Bayerns, Milans and Chelseas of the world are going to be epically tough matches. The regens keep the international sides competitive, too. Plus, you can always take a job in one of those top leagues if you get bored of the league you're in - the game will automatically set it to "Full Detail" when you transfer into it. I also like to have the top divisions of Argentina and Brazil and active, which tends to give South America much better regens.

Of course, that does slow my game down, so its a balancing act between realism and processing speed.

So, for example, if you set the Greek League to "Playable" and the Spanish League to nothing, after some years (but still I think maaany maaaany years), the Greek League will be in better condition than the Spanish one.

The "Full Detail" option will affect the "realism" of the results in the leagues you chose it.

Finally, let me give out some results regarding regens.
I compared the regen production in leagues that are Playable vs leagues that are View-Only vs nations that don't have those two enabled but have the "Load Players From Top Division Clubs" or the "Load Players From Top Clubs" only and nations that have no option enabled, nothing at all.
It's not that extensive, but just to give you an understanding.
(Here you can find my setup (it's towards the end).)

Spoiler

-Here are some countries that are set as Playable and have the "Load Players From Top Division Clubs" and "Load Players From Top Clubs" enabled:
Greece: 1025 regens
Italy: 3667 regens
Serbia: 821 regens
Poland: 820 regens
Norway: 503 regens
Mexico: 1069 regens
Argentina: 2249 regens
Brazil: 2478 regens
Chile: 540 regens
Uruguay: 752 regens

-Here are some countries that are not set as Playable, neither as View-Only and have the "Load Players From Top Division Clubs" and "Load Players From Top Clubs" enabled:
Algeria: 155 regens
Cameroon: 232 regens
Ghana: 227 regens
Ivory Coast: 192 regens
Morocco: 327 regens

Pretty good, huh? Saves you a lot of processor speed.

-Here are some countries that are set as View Only and have 0 options in the advanced setup:
S.Africa: 83 regens
China: 19 regens
India: 6 regens
Indonesia: 25 regens
S.Korea: 35 regens
USA: 106 regens

Not bad as well, the "less important" nations still produce regens.

-Here are some countries that have 0 options. Nothing enabled, nothing:
Cape Verde: 22 players
DR Congo: 183 regens
Egypt: 26 regens
Ethiopia: 0 regens
Togo: 16 regens
Japan: 18 regens
Albania: 275 regens
Bosnia: 233 regens
Faroe Islands: 5 regens
Malta: 2 regens
San Marino: 15 regens
Ecuador: 28 regens
Guatemala: 0 regens
Panama: 5 regens
New Zealand: 19 regens

As you can see, some of the "less important" nations still produce regens, and some of the "not important at all" nations (at least for my setup) produce very little to none regens.

Now, let's check the quality of the regen production in the "less important" nations:

Spoiler

-Algeria regens:
Algeria_regens.png

-Cameroon regens:
Cameroon_regens.png

-Ghana regens:
Ghana_regens.png

-Nigeria regens:
Nigeria_regens.png

-African regens (general):
African_regens.png

Now, check the best African regen:
best_african_regen_current_ability.pngbest_african_regen_potential_ability.png

He's from Egypt and I don't even have the Egyptian league as playable neither as view only and I don't have the "Load Players From Top Division Clubs" and "Load Players From Top Clubs" enabled!

Some other regens from "unimportant" regions:

-Asian regens:
Asian_regens.png

-C.American regens:
C.American_regens.png

-Oceanic regens:
Oceanic_regens.png

And last, the regens from the "important" regions:

Spoiler

-Central European regens:
C.European_regens.png

-Eastern European regens:
Eastern_European_regens.png

-S.European regens:
S.European_regens.png

-UK&Irish regens:
UK_Irish_regens.png

-Scandinavian regens:
Scandinavian_regens.png

-South American regens:
S.American_regens.png

-North American regens:
N.American_regens.png

• 1 month later...

A few introductory facts:

1. My game starts complaining at anything over 100,000 players.
2. Like everyone who has played FM too much, I have developed a certain OCD.
3. I have some third party files added to my game. Just the usual stuff. I don't think it has any effect on database size, but I can't guarantee that YMM not V concerning the following.

Here's what I do (large database):

For Europe, current top 25 UEFA nations, minus Cyprus which is not in the game. For this, substitute Ireland, just because, much like the moon, it's close to us. This gives us:

Spain
Germany
England
Italy
France
Russia
Portugal
Ukraine
Belgium
Turkey
Czech Republic
Switzerland
Netherlands
Greece
Austria
Croatia
Romania
Denmark
Belarus
Poland
Sweden
Israel
Scotland
Norway
Ireland

Then, South America: Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, Uruguay.

North America: Mexico, USA.

Asia: China.

Set everything to top two leagues (if available), except: England and Scotland, who get four levels, and Belgium, which gets three (they have a weird league structure anyway).

This gives me a player count of.... wait for it... drumroll... ON THE NOSE the magical number of 100,000 players. This makes me very happy. So clearly, this is the Right, Proper and Correct database setup.

Edit: Hang on, I think I slightly improved on this. Remove the second level from Switzerland, Columbia and Uruguay, keeping only the top league for those. This leaves the magical player count, while shaving off some pointless leagues. The total (unless I screwed up somewhere in there) should now be 65 leagues, 32 nations.

Out of interest if I were to add additional leagues to my game as "View Only", would I then be able to apply for jobs in those leagues, which would then become "Playable" if I took that job in a different league?

160k players

England, France, Ger, Gre, Holland, Belgium, Turkey, Scotland, Portugal all divisions

With all players from South America loaded along with UK and Ireland, Scandinavia, Croatia, Serbia, Czech Rep.

A better and slightly more scientific version of my earlier approach:

Same nations as before.
Set everything to top league only, except:

England: Four levels (until League Two).
Spain, France, Germany. Italy: Three levels.
Russia, Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, Turkey (the rest of the Euro top 10): Two levels.

Total player count: 99,950. Close enough, I guess.

26 minutes ago, Analog said:

Number of players can affect the processing time of FM, but what really has the most affect is the level of detail for the leagues you are simulating.  

I know. But my game complains at over the recommended number of players, and I don't feel like I should **** with it. Besides, doesn't one correlate with the other? Adding playable leagues is what adds players. Seems like much the same thing. Unless you fiddle with the advanced stuff, I guess, which I don't.

OK, I've decided on a database of a smidgeon over 100,000 players. I think it was 102,000, or thereabouts. Dropped Ireland, decided I needed Chile and the second tier for Argentina and Brazil. Now it looks like... well, exactly as it should, I think. Behold the unassailable logic! Nothing I can do to change it now. Here's hoping my computer doesn't blow up!

• 1 month later...

Archived