FM17: Manchester United - The Special One Arrives

mikenevo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished the first season, finished 2nd behind Spurs who just didn't seem to want to drop points. Also lost in the Euro semi final :(

On the plus side, I got rid of some dead wood in the transfer window, and brought in some serious quality!

Deals for Dybala and Dele were done a couple of months before the transfer window officially opened, I'd been trying to unsettle them all season!

Transfers.png

34 minutes ago, RickH said:

Finished the first season, finished 2nd behind Spurs who just didn't seem to want to drop points. Also lost in the Euro semi final :(

On the plus side, I got rid of some dead wood in the transfer window, and brought in some serious quality!

Deals for Dybala and Dele were done a couple of months before the transfer window officially opened, I'd been trying to unsettle them all season!

Transfers.png

3 very good signings there mate

Finished first season in charge and finished 3rd. so back in champions league . Won the fa cup league cup and comunnity shield. Knocked out the europa league semi final to villareal .

Started second season well winning the community shield against spurs . got a tough start to the season arsenal away the everton home chelsea away. played first two with 2 wins :).

Anyone managed griezemann before? was wondering how to get the best out of him. 

vBnMcR.png

Hey

V rarely post on here but have been pretty addicted since the demo came out.  I feel like this years iteration is really great.  There's a few annoyances (social media - what's the point?!) but the core game is really good especially the match engine & tactics.  And that's the bit I like the most!

Anyway, I'm half way thru my second season at United and I have assembled a world beating team.  I won the domestic double season one but lost to Lyon in Europa League final.  But my summer signings and development on youth has got me excited about a possible tilt for the treble this season!

I am trying to create a philosophy that stays true to my perception of what United is all about.  The core of this is: attacking, attractive football; develop young players; sign the best talented young players.  I have spent some serious money but I do this on particular stand out players that fit my philosophy (similar to what Fergie did with Rooney, Ferdinand in the past)

Here's a little summary of how I've been doing so far...

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 21.42.06.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 21.42.22.png

End of season one stats.  Really happy with the overall squad performance with Pogba finding his feet in second half of the season and some youngsters starting to come thru (esp TF-M!)  A few pieces of deadwood went in the summer (Rooney, Fellaini)

Look at the amount of promising youngsters coming thru as well.  I supplemented these with some of the talent in the ranks already and I'm excited for the future!

Season Two so far...

Here's how my squad and tactics are lining up for season two.  I have made some big signings with Griezman, Alli and Dybala both coming in but I have also given lots of youth a chance with Tuanzebe, TFM, Gribbin & many others getting debuts and chances where possible.  I have used 39 players so far this season and have around 15 promising youngsters out on loan (most are playing v well)

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 14.10.46.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-12 at 13.15.37.png

My first choice is something like this now (Martial is always getting injured for me)

The formation and team is ripping people apart and some of the football is stunning.  I just beat Liverpool 4-1 with Dybala scoring after 20 seconds on his debut after a record 120m move.  I have developed the formation over the seasons and tweak it each game according to the opponent.  I don't use any other formation for away or different games, just vary this core one.

The key elements to it are:

- Solid back 4.  I used to play with full backs that bombed on but by setting both to support, I am conceding less goals and keep my shape better.  The full backs are two of my best players with  Fabinho on pens and Shaw whipping crosses in for fun.

- The mid 3.  The energy and drive of this 3 is unreal.  I also have some lovely options in reserve with Merino taking the Carrick role as DLP (I play him against poor teams where I need less muscle and more guile), Herrera can fill any of the roles and is great back up Alli and I have retrained Mata to play CM as AP back up for Pogba.  Also TFM for muscle and Gribbin for AP is a nice option.  The football these 3 play is unreal.  Pogba I play either APA, APS or DPS but always with 'run with ball more'.  He started the season off with 7 in 7 games but since I have got him to control tempo more - especially in big games and the influence he can make as a DLPS is amazing.  Alongside him - Alli I play CMA and basically tell him to get up alongside the striker.  He's been amazing.  Morgan sits and tidies it all up

-  The front 3.  Ibra has been amazing up there as CFS but Dybala will now that on and his debut was unreal.  Griezman had a big injury at start of season but he's been sensational since coming in - his set pieces are amazing and his link up play stunning.  On the right wing, I swap between Micki, Lingered and Rashford and like to play them as Wingers to spread the play a bit.  

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 14.10.39.png

Here's squad performance so far this season.

I am thinking about the following changes in the summer

- Laporte in, Blind out.  Laporte is better and transfer listed and I can prob get 45m for Blind

- Schneiderlein maybe out and let TFM take the DM role with Merino in back up.  Real want him

- Icardi out.  I signed him, he won me the FA Cup but he's nowhere near Dybala and I have Rashford and Dolberg coming thru

- Mata out (maybe)  depends on Gribbin and others development

Overall, happy with squad but want to make sure I don't limit any of my youngsters development so may make some big calls if necessary

I love how my team shares the goals around.  Typical Fergie United style!

Anyway, hope everyone else's save is going well.

To sign off, I just had 4 players in Squad of the year and with Dybala signing, I have 5 (equal with Barca!)

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 11.58.24.png

On 10/11/2016 at 04:28, Sheep said:

How has Ro-Shaun Williams turned out for you guys? I've sent him on loan the first 2 seasons hoping he will improve. Very put off by his low tackling and marking.

He is now my best defender, He only has 11 for tackling and 12 for marking even though I have been training him for 5 and a half seasons, but his performances are impressive. The last 3 seaosns his overall rating has gone from 7.74 in 25 games, to 7.77 in 32 games, and now currently this season it's at 7.97 after 30 games with a few to play. Him and Bailly have struck a formidable partnership

Currently have great success using this away from Home, Beaten Chelsea, Madrid, City, Arsenal Away with it this season.. They hardly had a sniff at goal accept Ronaldo scoring for Madrid once. Also beaten the smaller teams (Southampton, Cardiff, Burnley) with absolute ease, there not carving through my defence like they usually would.

I have Two Wingers closing down much more, Back 4 stand off. Pogba plays as CM (A) with Direct Passes, Dribble More.

CAM is Pjanic with Roaming and Direct Passes

Lacazette up top.

Herrera as DLP (D) With Tackle Harder.

Martial Left Wing, Berahino Right wing.

Away Tactic 2.png  Away Tactic 3.png

Just restarted after my previous save died on me. Doing ok, not great but ok. I do have one problem though. How do you deal with players who are unhappy at the start of the season because you havent strengthened the squad? I signed Stefan De Vrij and while he's playing well he's unhappy I havent signed any players to strengthen the team. How can I sign quality players if their clubs refuse to sell them? I cant force players to join my team so I think this player happiness\promises thing needs tweaked a bit. I have some targets earmarked for January so maybe he'll be happier then if I can sign them.

1 minute ago, trekman said:

Just restarted after my previous save died on me. Doing ok, not great but ok. I do have one problem though. How do you deal with players who are unhappy at the start of the season because you havent strengthened the squad? I signed Stefan De Vrij and while he's playing well he's unhappy I havent signed any players to strengthen the team. How can I sign quality players if their clubs refuse to sell them? I cant force players to join my team so I think this player happiness\promises thing needs tweaked a bit. I have some targets earmarked for January so maybe he'll be happier then if I can sign them.

Don't worry about players being unhappy, just play them and keep winning, they will soon get over it

1 hour ago, Powello said:

Don't worry about players being unhappy, just play them and keep winning, they will soon get over it

I hope so. I still think this feature needs tweaked a bit though. Now I just had a message pop saying he's unhappy because we've had a falling out which isnt true because theres been no conversations between us.

10 hours ago, lol28 said:

Season Two so far...

Here's how my squad and tactics are lining up for season two.  I have made some big signings with Griezman, Alli and Dybala both coming in but I have also given lots of youth a chance with Tuanzebe, TFM, Gribbin & many others getting debuts and chances where possible.  I have used 39 players so far this season and have around 15 promising youngsters out on loan (most are playing v well)

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 14.10.46.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-12 at 13.15.37.png

What are your team instructions? any specific individual instructions?

Season 6 Review

This season in a way has been better than last season, but trophy wise not as good. We went out of the EFL and FA Cups in the 4th rounds of each. In the EFL match I was playing the kids though as I didn't really care and had important games around it..

In the premier league, after finishing both of the last 2 seaosns unbeaten, the aim was to do it again and we have managed that once again. We broke the record for most points, least conceded and most wins in a season. We coouldn't quite break the record for most goals scored, which Villa hold with 128 many many years ago apparantly.

league.png

We smashed Arsenal in the Community Shield, making it 6 wins in a row

community.png

Benfica couldn't stop us in the Super Cup, so we retain that again

supercvup.png

ATM should have been easier, but we saw them off.

clubworld.png

And once again facing PSG for the third time  in the Final over the past 4 seasons, beating them, meaning 3 times in a row

championleague.png

Highlights of the Season

Apart from the 10-1 win over West Brom I mentioned a few posts above, the highlight game of the season has to be this one.

barce.png

Everything went according to plan, apart from conceding the 2 goals.

The standout player of the season once again was Rashford, scoring 52 goals in 44 appearnaces. Shoutout to De Gea, Bailly and Ro-Shaun Williams though who all formed a solid wall at the back, keeping 32 clean sheets in 56 games I think it was.

Plans for next season

I am thinking, now I am going into my 7th season, it might be time to do a massive overhaul of the squad, get rid of a lot of the old players and build a new-ish team.

Go for a 4th league season in a row unbeaten
Win as many trophies as possible
The usual haha

I already have 2 young Brazilians lined up to come in as soon as the transfer window is lined up, I also have Bale joining. He was on the transfer list at Madrid for £1.5m??!! I don't really need him and he's getting on a bit, but how could I turn that deal down?

I will omce again see if any clubs have released any quality players, like they seem to do at the end of every season.

8 minutes ago, Powello said:

Season 6 Review

This season in a way has been better than last season, but trophy wise not as good. We went out of the EFL and FA Cups in the 4th rounds of each. In the EFL match I was playing the kids though as I didn't really care and had important games around it..

In the premier league, after finishing both of the last 2 seaosns unbeaten, the aim was to do it again and we have managed that once again. We broke the record for most points, least conceded and most wins in a season. We coouldn't quite break the record for most goals scored, which Villa hold with 128 many many years ago apparantly.

league.png

We smashed Arsenal in the Community Shield, making it 6 wins in a row

community.png

Benfica couldn't stop us in the Super Cup, so we retain that again

supercvup.png

ATM should have been easier, but we saw them off.

clubworld.png

And once again facing PSG for the third time  in the Final over the past 4 seasons, beating them, meaning 3 times in a row

championleague.png

Highlights of the Season

Apart from the 10-1 win over West Brom I mentioned a few posts above, the highlight game of the season has to be this one.

barce.png

Everything went according to plan, apart from conceding the 2 goals.

The standout player of the season once again was Rashford, scoring 52 goals in 44 appearnaces. Shoutout to De Gea, Bailly and Ro-Shaun Williams though who all formed a solid wall at the back, keeping 32 clean sheets in 56 games I think it was.

Plans for next season

I am thinking, now I am going into my 7th season, it might be time to do a massive overhaul of the squad, get rid of a lot of the old players and build a new-ish team.

Go for a 4th league season in a row unbeaten
Win as many trophies as possible
The usual haha

I already have 2 young Brazilians lined up to come in as soon as the transfer window is lined up, I also have Bale joining. He was on the transfer list at Madrid for £1.5m??!! I don't really need him and he's getting on a bit, but how could I turn that deal down?

I will omce again see if any clubs have released any quality players, like they seem to do at the end of every season.

Dominating, very nice. How much is Bale on a week?

Does anyone have any experience with ICardi in FM17? I just cant get him to be firing on all cylinders, its just a goal here and there, 2 goals one game then goes missing for the next couple of games, I need him to be leading my line but hes not doing that in ANY role, i've tried Complete Forward, Advanced, Poacher, he has most of his goals playing as a poacher alongside a CF. I'd be miles ahead on the league in the second season if I could just get him to start bagging goals.

4 minutes ago, Verby said:

Dominating, very nice. How much is Bale on a week?

Does anyone have any experience with ICardi in FM17? I just cant get him to be firing on all cylinders, its just a goal here and there, 2 goals one game then goes missing for the next couple of games, I need him to be leading my line but hes not doing that in ANY role, i've tried Complete Forward, Advanced, Poacher, he has most of his goals playing as a poacher alongside a CF. I'd be miles ahead on the league in the second season if I could just get him to start bagging goals.

I would have Icardi as an AF, not sure if he has the likes to beat the offside trap trait or not on yours, he does on mine and he scores for fun by the looks of it. Have that with move into channels, a TI of pass into space and players in midfield who have the plays killer balls trait and that should help

11 minutes ago, Powello said:

I would have Icardi as an AF, not sure if he has the likes to beat the offside trap trait or not on yours, he does on mine and he scores for fun by the looks of it. Have that with move into channels, a TI of pass into space and players in midfield who have the plays killer balls trait and that should help

Yeah he has Beat The Offside Trap and Move into Channels, just taught him Play one twos, hoping that will spark something more in the Final third with him aswel. Hoping he starts giving me 55m pounds worth.

He just redeemed himself for me, scored an amazing Solo goal and then set up Martial for a win over The Scousers.

icardi genious.png

10 hours ago, mattskelding said:

What are your team instructions? any specific individual instructions?

Hi mate,

Here you go but bear in mind, depending on opposition and availability I will tweak the OI & PI

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.51.00.png

Complete forward with move into channels and mark tighter.  All top 3 have 'mark tighter' to try and cause errors in opposition half or at least force them to punt it up field.  Have to have the right players for this.  And my whole tactic relied heavily on v fit players. I do a lot of rotation to keep people fresh.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.50.50.png

Delle Alli is amazing in this role.  He can also swap into the playmaker midfield role

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.50.45.png

Pogba's position but I switch between APS, APA and DLPS for him

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.50.37.png

Sometimes I'll drop him back into the DM strata if the opposition are playing two up front to give better protection to the CBS

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.50.24.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.50.14.png

And these are the results it's produced.  Lost my first game to Swansea - I had 27 shots to their 2!

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.52.53.png

1 hour ago, lol28 said:

Hi mate,

Here you go but bear in mind, depending on opposition and availability I will tweak the OI & PI

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.51.00.png

Complete forward with move into channels and mark tighter.  All top 3 have 'mark tighter' to try and cause errors in opposition half or at least force them to punt it up field.  Have to have the right players for this.  And my whole tactic relied heavily on v fit players. I do a lot of rotation to keep people fresh.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.50.50.png

Delle Alli is amazing in this role.  He can also swap into the playmaker midfield role

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.50.45.png

Pogba's position but I switch between APS, APA and DLPS for him

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.50.37.png

Sometimes I'll drop him back into the DM strata if the opposition are playing two up front to give better protection to the CBS

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.50.24.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.50.14.png

And these are the results it's produced.  Lost my first game to Swansea - I had 27 shots to their 2!

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.52.53.png

Sweet! I'll try yours as well, it looks cool.

Could you give us the PI's on the IF & W? And for the defenders as well! 

Also, do you play this tactic both home and away no matter the opposition? Like, you dont switch to counter when you face Chelsea away?

And OI? You do them yourselves or let your assistant make them?

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, Cefozo said:

Sweet! I'll try yours as well, it looks cool.

Could you give us the PI's on the IF & W? And for the defenders as well! 

Also, do you play this tactic both home and away no matter the opposition? Like, you dont switch to counter when you face Chelsea away?

And OI? You do them yourselves or let your assistant make them?

Cheers!

Here you go

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 12.44.05.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 12.44.04.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-13 at 12.44.01.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-13 at 12.43.58.png

Also, probably one my best performances yet - a 6-0 dismantling of Watford on the eve of a big Champions league game so used a rotated 11

This shows how dominant the formation and team can be.  It's all about controlling the game but with purpose - not just passing for the sake of it.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 12.44.38.png

I switch the TI, PI & OI depending on who I am facing. There's no set 'away' strategy but typically I have a few tweaks if I want to be more cautious or more gung-ho.  Main thing is switching between standard and control but I try to maintain the key philosophies of the tactic.  'Very Fluid' is crucial as it means my team stays close together and all players contribute to defence and attack.  Some of the transitions can be wonderful to watch with the pace, power and finesse of the attacking players.

What's your team look like at the moment because it all depends on the players.

17 minutes ago, lol28 said:

Here you go

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 12.44.05.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 12.44.04.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-13 at 12.44.01.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-13 at 12.43.58.png

Also, probably one my best performances yet - a 6-0 dismantling of Watford on the eve of a big Champions league game so used a rotated 11

This shows how dominant the formation and team can be.  It's all about controlling the game but with purpose - not just passing for the sake of it.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 12.44.38.png

I switch the TI, PI & OI depending on who I am facing. There's no set 'away' strategy but typically I have a few tweaks if I want to be more cautious or more gung-ho.  Main thing is switching between standard and control but I try to maintain the key philosophies of the tactic.  'Very Fluid' is crucial as it means my team stays close together and all players contribute to defence and attack.  Some of the transitions can be wonderful to watch with the pace, power and finesse of the attacking players.

What's your team look like at the moment because it all depends on the players.

Thanks a lot! 

This is my current squad, I'm doing an online save with 3 friends, finished 3rd first season.  I always tend to dominate the games, having atleast 60 % possession and always over 20 shots per game, but I have had huge problems getting them goals in.

Still have 50 mil to spend.

Thinking about selling Mata and perhaps Rooney as well(?). Where should I play Gribbin? AP? I also have Belotti and Zlatan as forwards if needed.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 14.11.02.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 14.12.48.png

2 hours ago, Cefozo said:

Thanks a lot! 

This is my current squad, I'm doing an online save with 3 friends, finished 3rd first season.  I always tend to dominate the games, having atleast 60 % possession and always over 20 shots per game, but I have had huge problems getting them goals in.

Still have 50 mil to spend.

Thinking about selling Mata and perhaps Rooney as well(?). Where should I play Gribbin? AP? I also have Belotti and Zlatan as forwards if needed.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 14.11.02.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 14.12.48.png

Mata is a quality player, I still have him now and I am about to start the 7th season, although I am looking to sell him now, but that's only because of his age. For me he works best either in the AP, CM-A and IF positions. Gribbin has worked best for me in the IF right position. But he can fit in the same positions as I just said for Mata and probably as a Wide playmaker.

I absolutely love this FM but it's games like this that make me want to chuck my laptop across the living room.

ikm10x2.png?1

Leicester were smashed for 90 minutes but my classy strikers contrived to miss absolute sitters and then we were caught with the inevitable far post chest into the goal,my CD getting caught in possession when all he had to do was a simple pass back to the keeper and then that 90th minute sucker punch that I love so much.

I'm scoring goals for fun this season but am conceding at an alarming rate

OkMSPHR.png?1

I get the feeling i'm not going to run away with it this time round.

I drew Real Madrid in the group stages of the Champions League and have managed to win 5-3 at home and an easy 3-0 away win and with one more game at home to Monaco we will top the group.

The chairman wanted to discuss transfer funds at the beginning of December season 2 to increase the funds(to which I agreed to) and we have gone from £30m to £104m ready for the January window,which I wont touch as we have this beauty coming in already for £76m(I lost Koke for 9 months just as the transfer window closed so went looking for a good BBM/Adv PM to come in in January).

LfX5qks.png?1

Interesting, what year did this happen?

On 11/7/2016 at 12:46, Powello said:

I haven't seen this guys named mentioned yet, but he has been the savior of my second season. Had a rough first season without winning any silverware, other than the community shield. So when the summer transfer window came around no Striker I was interested in would give me the time of day. Dybala, Aubameyang, Muller, Embolo, etc. Even after clubs had accepted offers in the $140m range, they weren't interested in discussing contracts.

So, my scouts found André Silva, had awesome stats, great potential, and I was able to get him for a potential cost of $55m. I was also able to bring in Griezmann who plays in just behind him and together they're unstoppable. I'm in late January and Silva as 34 goals in all competitions. 

I have an attacking rotation of Silva/Rashford - Memphis/Martial - Griezmann/Coric - Mkhitaryan/Dembele.

Silva is the best finisher I've ever had on Football Manager. 2nd game in the team and he smashed in 4 against Arsenal(defending champions).

A very worthwhile pick up for season 2.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 11.32.43 AM.png

Re: Powello's post on André Silva (above).

He isn't in the game on my save. Could this be because I've not got the Portuguese league loaded? Seems a bit weird considering he's obviously highly rated.

I've set the Portuguese to be loaded, which will occur in pre-season anyway. Does anyone know if that will enable certain players currently non-existent to actually exist?

Screenshot_78.png

4 minutes ago, Mancunian Red United said:

Re: Powello's post on André Silva (above).

He isn't in the game on my save. Could this be because I've not got the Portuguese league loaded? Seems a bit weird considering he's obviously highly rated.

I've set the Portuguese to be loaded, which will occur in pre-season anyway. Does anyone know if that will enable certain players currently non-existent to actually exist?

It wasn't my post, not sure why it says it was mine lol

He's not in mine either, so he's either random or yeah he will show up when the Portuguese league is loaded

In February of the first season, and it's going pretty well! Top of the league for the moment with Arsenal and Spurs chasing. Through to next round of Europa League and FA cups but out of EFL after West Brom beat me during the worst run of my season to date. As usual around this time, I'm starting to future plan. I want to bring through a lot of youth this time as in the past I've probably relied too much on big money signings throughout the team. I've already started to clear the deadwood and Valencia, Young, Fellaini, and Schweinsteiger all gone. Rooney and Rojo are out on loan and will depart at season end along with Carrick and Romero. I've also blooded some new players already Fosu-Mensah (now a 1st team member), Axel, Ro-Shaun, Gribbin and Chong have made debuts this season. 

With all that said, I see two positions with big asterix. Centre midfield and AMR. In the centre, Pogba has torn it up but I can't settle on a ball winner beside him. Schneiderlin gets sent off too much, Herrera is too dainty and Blind just doesn't excel. Mensah isn't ready yet for the full responsibility.

At AMR, Henrikh and Mata have swapped back and forth but neither are really killing it. 

Within 2-3 seasons, Mensah, Luis Florentino, Gribbin and/or Angel Gomes will hopefully fill these gaps (or at least provide proper backup) but for next year I want to try and fill them with some big names to bring the quality level of the squad up. 

Can anyone suggest a CM or AMR - I would like them to be more experienced - preferably 27+ and will be willing to spend but not crazy money like 100million. Also for the CM, if he could not be sent off every game he plays as a BWM that would be great. Any suggestions?

Also, does Zlatan diminish after the first year? 24 games this year have brought 24 goals (about half of which are goal of the season contenders). I have Rashford as backup and Kuki training to step up in a couple of years but I'm a bit worried if Zlatan drops then Rashford won't be ready yet. 

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 17:01, axehan1 said:

Control is still quite an aggressive strategy,couple that with higher tempo and your players might be rushing shots instead of looking for passing options..

I try to train all my 1st team(even defenders) to play simple passes and try one-two's I feel that it helps especially in the attacking half to work the ball forward , having said that I could show you a few matches where I have taken plenty of long shots.That's because teams "park the bus" and a long shot is the only option.I have both fullbacks on attack duty offering a passing option outwide which really helps in that instead of blasting from range a ball is played to the flanks for a crossing opportunity.

Cheers for the advice, I played at the weekend a bit and beat both Man City at home and Arsenal away. But was robbed away to Liverpool. Think I may need to start with more away games on a 'standard' instruction and reduce the tempo to more normal levels. At least until next year when I can buy a few more players at a higher level.

Does having both fullbacks on attack leave you exposed away from home or is the worth it for the attacking threat?

2 hours ago, crestofadave said:

In February of the first season, and it's going pretty well! Top of the league for the moment with Arsenal and Spurs chasing. Through to next round of Europa League and FA cups but out of EFL after West Brom beat me during the worst run of my season to date. As usual around this time, I'm starting to future plan. I want to bring through a lot of youth this time as in the past I've probably relied too much on big money signings throughout the team. I've already started to clear the deadwood and Valencia, Young, Fellaini, and Schweinsteiger all gone. Rooney and Rojo are out on loan and will depart at season end along with Carrick and Romero. I've also blooded some new players already Fosu-Mensah (now a 1st team member), Axel, Ro-Shaun, Gribbin and Chong have made debuts this season. 

With all that said, I see two positions with big asterix. Centre midfield and AMR. In the centre, Pogba has torn it up but I can't settle on a ball winner beside him. Schneiderlin gets sent off too much, Herrera is too dainty and Blind just doesn't excel. Mensah isn't ready yet for the full responsibility.

At AMR, Henrikh and Mata have swapped back and forth but neither are really killing it. 

Within 2-3 seasons, Mensah, Luis Florentino, Gribbin and/or Angel Gomes will hopefully fill these gaps (or at least provide proper backup) but for next year I want to try and fill them with some big names to bring the quality level of the squad up. 

Can anyone suggest a CM or AMR - I would like them to be more experienced - preferably 27+ and will be willing to spend but not crazy money like 100million. Also for the CM, if he could not be sent off every game he plays as a BWM that would be great. Any suggestions?

Also, does Zlatan diminish after the first year? 24 games this year have brought 24 goals (about half of which are goal of the season contenders). I have Rashford as backup and Kuki training to step up in a couple of years but I'm a bit worried if Zlatan drops then Rashford won't be ready yet. 

I'd personally just trust Fosu-Mensah for your ball winner. He's been my starter since January 1st season and I've never looked back and I'm now just starting my 3rd season. He is so strong in there and is constantly winning the ball back and starting attacks. I've had Schneiderlin that whole time too to provide my experience but he does get sent off a lot I admit.

2 hours ago, crestofadave said:

I would stick with FM for the CM, for the AMR, use Gomes from the youth, he might not look amazing but get him training and playing him and he will be one of the best in the world in no time.

Zlatan was good for 2 seaosns for me but Rashford took his place in the second season, although he was ready in the first and did well when he had the chance, I wanted to make the most of Zlatan while he was there

4 hours ago, crestofadave said:

I have Naingollan from Roma beside Pogba , the two together are amazing.  

1 hour ago, georgey said:

I have Naingollan from Roma beside Pogba , the two together are amazing. 

Thanks mate, do you mind if I ask how much did you pay for Naingollan? What role does he play and does he pick up many bookings?

Thanks Powello and Chris21 for advice as well. TFM will be the answer if I don't get a top player. As for Gomes, he is pegged for the next few seasons but I want someone I could hypothetically play in say a CL final next year with no doubts. I'm thinking of trying a sneaky bid for James Rodriguez or Mahrez though I might just stick with Henrikh and Mata.

No worries. I've ended up with Embolo at AMR but I'm in my 3rd season as I said and he's developed a bit since then so I doubt he'd be the answer for you right now.

Mahrez would certainly be a player who would improve you straight away. Think Arsenal paid £32m for him on mine. Douglas Costa maybe?

3 minutes ago, crestofadave said:

Thanks mate, do you mind if I ask how much did you pay for Naingollan? What role does he play and does he pick up many bookings?

Thanks Powello and Chris21 for advice as well. TFM will be the answer if I don't get a top player. As for Gomes, he is pegged for the next few seasons but I want someone I could hypothetically play in say a CL final next year with no doubts. I'm thinking of trying a sneaky bid for James Rodriguez or Mahrez though I might just stick with Henrikh and Mata.

You could easily play him in a Champions league final the following season, especially if you start playing him now and often. People are too quick to spend money when it's really not neccessary

13 minutes ago, Chris21 said:

No worries. I've ended up with Embolo at AMR but I'm in my 3rd season as I said and he's developed a bit since then so I doubt he'd be the answer for you right now.

Mahrez would certainly be a player who would improve you straight away. Think Arsenal paid £32m for him on mine. Douglas Costa maybe?

For some reason I don't like Douglas Costa. Maybe I owned him in a previous game and he didn't do well. i hold grudges! Embolo is a great player but he is young, so would just end up taking the spot of a youngster. Mahrez for circa 30 mil would probably be perfect. Can make a profit on that in 2 years time then when it comes time to shunt him out.

12 minutes ago, Powello said:

You could easily play him in a Champions league final the following season, especially if you start playing him now and often. People are too quick to spend money when it's really not neccessary

I agree with you on spending, that's why I'm aiming to bring through so much youth. But with that said, United are short on real world class at the moment. I want to bring the youth through while keeping my job long enough to do it. So in my mind I reckon one or two top players this year will give the squad enough that I can seamlessly shift out the rest of the crap and allow the youth to develop. Gomes still only 16 in my game so loads of time to train him!

Just now, crestofadave said:

I agree with you on spending, that's why I'm aiming to bring through so much youth. But with that said, United are short on real world class at the moment. I want to bring the youth through while keeping my job long enough to do it. So in my mind I reckon one or two top players this year will give the squad enough that I can seamlessly shift out the rest of the crap and allow the youth to develop. Gomes still only 16 in my game so loads of time to train him!

Fair enough.

I have just set myself a new challenge starting a new save. I am going to sell a few first teamers and only promote from within, I won't buy anyone. Will see how well I do. I aim to show people that you don't need to buy anyone at all. I've promoted Johnstone, Warren, O'connor, TFM, Tuanzebe, Ro-Shaun Williams, Gomes, Gribbin and Chong so farand all apart from Johnstone are 18 or under, some being 15. I have put Rojo, Valencia, Fellaini and Romero up for sale at the so far, but I expect there shall be others I sell

2 minutes ago, Powello said:

Fair enough.

I have just set myself a new challenge starting a new save. I am going to sell a few first teamers and only promote from within, I won't buy anyone. Will see how well I do. I aim to show people that you don't need to buy anyone at all. I've promoted Johnstone, Warren, O'connor, TFM, Tuanzebe, Ro-Shaun Williams, Gomes, Gribbin and Chong so farand all apart from Johnstone are 18 or under, some being 15. I have put Rojo, Valencia, Fellaini and Romero up for sale at the so far, but I expect there shall be others I sell

Don't forget Tosin Kehinde, not a bad player as a RPM.

htRSUUV.png?1

I didn't give him the right tutoring at the beginning of the game but he has potential.

1 minute ago, axehan1 said:

Don't forget Tosin Kehinde, not a bad player as a RPM.

htRSUUV.png?1

I didn't give him the right tutoring at the beginning of the game but he has potential.

Yeah forgot about him haha. I am going through every player to make sure their training and tutoring is set up right this time, I didn't do it on the last save and I wasted some talent, which annoyed me

I decided to really pinpoint the youth players who I felt had the best chance of making it, not that I forgot about others with potential but I felt Fosu-Mensah, Gomes, Gribbin, Borthwick-Jackson, Tuanzebe and Shaun-Williams were the ones at least on my save had the potential to play for the first team. 3rd season now as mentioned and Fosu-Mensah is a definite starter, Gomes and Gribbin are members of the squad who get games as and when I can give them. Borthwick-Jackson is really pushing Shaw and is starting at the moment as Shaw is injured. Tuanzebe and Shaun-Williams are 3rd and 4th choice centre backs behind Smalling and Gimenez. So they're all coming along nicely but it is about getting the balance right because you need to develop youth (especially now with the Brexit feature) but you also need to make sure you're competing with world class players.

I'm also one of those players that hates spending ridiculous fees. Infact for years and years I would hate going above £30m for a player, I've kind of put that up towards £40m now with prices generally going up but I still don't like doing it. Of course I have spent bigger money than that, think I spent £80m on Neymar one year but it's very rare I spend really big money. Of course I'm still spending, Lukaku cost me £26.5m rising to £32.5m, Gimenez £32.5m rising to £37.5m, Rafinha £30m, Embolo £26m rising to £30m but I consider them very good value when you consider they're all early to mid 20's in age so I'm going to get 5-10 years out of them or of course sell them for a profit.

We all play the game differently though. End of the day irl Utd payed £93m for Pogba so not like it's not realstic to spend loads. And I will probably at some point spend a huge fee but I like to try and avoid it if possible.

1 hour ago, crestofadave said:

If i remember correctly , i paid 38m for him. I play him as either B2B or BWM . He has an amazing engine, getting all over the pitch and has scored several 25-30 yard screamers ! He will get the occasional booking but not so many that i find it a problem , i play him as an "enforcer" ( high pressing and hard tackling ) so he does put himself about.  I am finding him a tremendous signing so far to be honest and i would highly recommend trying him.

On 13/11/2016 at 16:53, BowTieSamurai said:

Interesting, what year did this happen?

Manchester United have joined the pursuit of young Portugal international Andre Silva, as the English Premier League club moves to further overhaul a squad that has proved itself unfit for purpose.

Silva, who turned 21 last week, has drawn the interest of a number of Europe's leading clubs with his recent performances for FC Porto and Portugal.

The 1m85 centre forward has scored seven goals in 10 Primeira Liga appearances for Porto this season, adding two more in the Champions League.

A prolific finisher at under-19, -20 and -21 international level, Silva was called up to the full national team in August, rapidly contributing four goals in four World Cup qualifiers.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester City are among a group of competing clubs who have asked to be kept informed of Silva's intentions with Porto working on the expectation of a lucrative summer sale.

The club improved the striker's contract soon after the start of the current campaign, increasing his release clause to €60million.

Interesting to see Duncan Castle reporting this tonight! 

8 hours ago, blue heron said:

At the end of the first season, i have the option tot sign Sergi Roberto from Barca. Does anyone have experience with him as right back?

I almost bought him in the second season but went for João Cancelo instead, he was cheaper. His crossing is abit low for me as I dont play with wingers, good work rate though and he can play Defensive Midfield AND Central Midfield well.

Have a look at João Cancelo, great alternative and hes only 24 and im in my third seasson now.

Archived