[Suggestion] Club location maps

Powermonger

I suggested this a long time ago but can there be included in the game an actual map of where clubs are located in the world (similar to what footiemap provides) as part of the club information screen, or a map showing where all clubs are located for a particular league or competition?

I always like to know where clubs are in relation to the world and having this information at hand would add a nice dash of detail and presentation. This is one thing I feel is sorely missing from the game.

An example of a club location map for the Bundesliga

Map of Bundesliga Team

Yes, I second this. That would be a great thing to see in future versions, viewable on both competition and club profiles. I always have to look up where the clubs are in the lesser-known leagues when there's no recognizable city name in the club title. Please put this in SI!

As an addition to this, it'd be amazing if you could then draw lines on the map in the pre-game editor to set boundaries for regional divisions, rather than having to use the longitude and latitude fields and being limited to rectangles.

+1 from me as well.

Its been mentioned for years but for whatever reason SI never seem to shown any interest in it.

Much like trophy cabinets it maybe doesn't sound that big a deal but it adds something to the experience particularly when you play with random clubs in random countries.

It's a very popular request for years. If I remember correctly the response from SI in the past was, that not implementing is difficult, but the maps itself. You need to buy a license or using your own ones, which would be a big effort for something outside of the game mechanism.

16 hours ago, KUBI said:

It's a very popular request for years. If I remember correctly the response from SI in the past was, that not implementing is difficult, but the maps itself. You need to buy a license or using your own ones, which would be a big effort for something outside of the game mechanism.

I remember around 2008 we were discussing it then, I would hope things have changed now.

They could do the maps similar in style to the scouting knowledge map, I think that would work well. It doesn't need to be as detailed as a Google map, although not completely lacking of detail.

One can only keep their hopes up.

EDIT: This is a thread I started back in Dec 2007. 9 years ago now. Hopefully this could be the year SI come to the party!

Agreed! Two of my favorite things are football and geography and my love for each are very intertwined in each other. It would do a world (ha) of good for the imaginative spark of the game to be visualize where the club you're traveling to is, say it shows an arrow from your town to theirs in the load screen before each match or something. Crests are great, but even if it's just names like in wikipedia it would be nice.

Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 6.53.56 PM.png

On 11/08/2016 at 13:06, Powermonger said:

Agree, maps of any sorts would be a bonus.

Perhaps a map like in the image below, and when you click on the club you get information such as in in the picture as well (jersey, stadium picture, league performance etc)

league-two_2011-12-stadia-map_h.gif

I think just a map will do :thup:

KUBI is correct that the issue is published maps are licensed properties so their inclusion in FM will require a fee to be paid unless SI can draw their own & that would be a monumental effort, sounds silly but that's the commercial world we live in.

36 minutes ago, Barside said:

KUBI is correct that the issue is published maps are licensed properties so their inclusion in FM will require a fee to be paid unless SI can draw their own & that would be a monumental effort, sounds silly but that's the commercial world we live in.

I don't think anyone really expects it to be exact & to scale.

Surely SI have the capability to produce images which look roughly like the shape of each country and within that stick some sort of markers in the approx location of the teams.  We aren't even talking about every country here just those which are playable so thats what about 50?

3 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Surely SI have the capability to produce images which look roughly like the shape of each country and within that stick some sort of markers in the approx location of the teams.  We aren't even talking about every country here just those which are playable so thats what about 50?

I'll draw you 50 maps as a work for hire in exchange for a free copy of the next game.

6 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Having a free drawn map & in the right sort of area locations is possible but we both know there would be complaints when it turns out that town x is not where is is supposed to be.

Those outlines will still be based on exiting maps which then triggers the whole copied for commercial gain & payment of a fee for their use, I'd like to see it & hopefully SI can come up with a method that does not cost them excessive time (I'd rather have an artist work on stadium models & less frightening newgen faces than a map) & money.

1 hour ago, Barside said:

Those outlines will still be based on exiting maps which then triggers the whole copied for commercial gain & payment of a fee for their use, I'd like to see it & hopefully SI can come up with a method that does not cost them excessive time (I'd rather have an artist work on stadium models & less frightening newgen faces than a map) & money.

That's another thing - it's so inconsequential it's not worth complaining about but "less frightening newgen faces" would be great haha, that and ones that change with age (maybe like newgen faces in sets of three for young, middle, and old) or at least reflect age at all - it's unsettling to get a 15 yr old recruit who is somehow already balding and looks like he's seen horrifying things...

5 hours ago, Barside said:

Not really, you can get free public domain GIS data for creating maps that require no payment and can be used commercially without any financial compensation required.

i.e. http://www.naturalearthdata.com/ offers such data free for creating maps.

Using such data you can make the maps as detailed or plain as you like. Obviously street maps won't be part of it but we don't need Google Maps level of detail.

Surely now is the time to add maps to the game, regen faces can still be fixed at the same time if need be but not having any geographical references for a game as mature as FM is now seems a bit neglectful.

Free public domain tends to mean they can only be for private use which will be covered in the T&C's however that's a useful link their T&C's do say their work can be reused for commercial purposes so that's one hurdle covered, there'd still be a few more but I imagine that having a link to a resource can only be an assist for SI/SEGA

4 hours ago, Barside said:

Free public domain tends to mean they can only be for private use which will be covered in the T&C's however that's a useful link their T&C's do say their work can be reused for commercial purposes so that's one hurdle covered, there'd still be a few more but I imagine that having a link to a resource can only be an assist for SI/SEGA

I understand what you mean but yes their T&C says commercial use is also allowed free of charge. So SI could make use of their mapping data and massage it into a look and feel appropriate for FM. Hopefully the link and the mapping data can make this suggestion one step closer for SI to spend time on and include.

How much is in question here to have the rights to use this kind of map?

I'm sure that SI can state a value, but are talking about around 150 Pounds? 1500 pounds? 15000 pounds?

I think this is an investment that the game needs, since it can benefit the game.

I for one has been forward for this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived