Things that have come and gone in FM/CM history.

There used to be cheat whereby if you offered enough money for a player that the bid was accepted immediately (without having to wait at all, which come to think of it is another feature no longer present!) you could go back and adjust it to £0 and you would get the player for free. That was CM2 as well.

IIRC this was possible in CM4 as well, albeit in a slightly different way

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They need to bring back the complain about a ref option. It never usualy worked but when it did it was pretty damn funny.

Indead, it was just for myself to let off some steam by complaining about the ref even you gained nothing.

That's still there, I tried starting at Chelsea on a save and Abram signed 2 players because I hadn't spent the budget or brought anyone in that was a big enough name. That was the end of that save.

I never knew that still happened - that's a great added touch!

What about the long-term bans?

I remember once I had Juan Veron for my Juve team and he punched someone in the face and got a 3 month ban!

Have never seen this since. Can't remember what version it was on tho, maybe 02/03!?

• SI Staff
I couldn't agree more, also abandonments due to inclement weather.

They really need to come back in, they haven't been in since 01/02.

We also had floodlight failures which were my favourite (half-way through an evening match it'd stop with a black commentary string saying the floodlights had failed and you'd have to replay the match) ... if you were losing it was great, if you were winning it sucked.

(one day they might return - but do please bear in mind they cause havoc with fixture scheduling which is complicated enough in the game already)

I remember once I had Juan Veron for my Juve team and he punched someone in the face and got a 3 month ban!

Have never seen this since. Can't remember what version it was on tho, maybe 02/03!?

Its still there I think. ON FMH2008 I had Eto banned for 3 months in my first game.

Can anyone confirm its on the PC one?

I miss the ARSE command, and the fact that the Collyers made Everton stupendously overrated in the first couple of CMs.

That went on for sometime, it used to do my nut in. Everton and Man Utd would challenge for the Prem every year in quite a few games. I'm probably just bitter because I'm a Liverpool Fan :(

Speaking of a feature that is history...quite literally....History. There used to be detailed encyclopedia about every club, some players, etc etc. It was great....taught me a lot about the origins of AC Milan and things like that. Why did that go?

On one of the FM09 screenshots I noticed a news item entitled 'The Club: A Background' or something like that. I am assuming that you may get a run down of the history of the club when you become manager.

Anyway on topic. Things that were in past games were: postponements of matches due to weather, comlplaining about a referee, requesting a match to be postponed, long-term bans.

I've got a screenie of a certain Steffan Iversen feeling he was treated so harshly he took me to the ECHR and they agreed with him and invalidated his contract. Moaning whatsit. Never seen that before or since.

I'd LOVE to see the printouts coming back. I've still got reams of stuff from my CM days with players scoring a large amount of goals, or league tables and stuff. 9pin dot-matrix goodness.

Player Insurance. They got injured, you got paid. Superb.

You could view the job security screen by division. Would be very handy now because once you get past about 10 leagues that screen takes an age to appear.

VB

We also had floodlight failures which were my favourite (half-way through an evening match it'd stop with a black commentary string saying the floodlights had failed and you'd have to replay the match) ... if you were losing it was great, if you were winning it sucked.

(one day they might return - but do please bear in mind they cause havoc with fixture scheduling which is complicated enough in the game already)

How come they were taken out?

Sign Joey Barton! It'll happen three times a season!

Printing the fixtures in a HTML or notebook file, you can see the scorers, away or home, attendance, etc etc

I want that back!!!

I'm seconding this. :)

I'll put my vote in for this too, it was a nice extra to the game.

oh, and the asterix next to the 3 best players in a squad. helped me decide who to try and steal!

I quite liked this, although I didn't think it was the three best players, I thought it was the fans favourite players at the club.

I suppose the new confidence feature brought in for FM08 was the first thing that has come in to replace that.

They weren't taken out - they were in Cm3, CM4 (which evolved into FM) was a whole new game engine and simply they've never been implemented in it ...... yet.

Ooh is that a hint that postponements and abandonments are going to be back in the game? Pleeeeeeeease! :)

It's the main annoyance I have with the game to be honest.

If people don't like hectic fixture schedules then they could turn the option off in the Preferences screen -- like moving matches for TV.

Personally I wouldn't mind a fixture pile-up, because it would be realistic in the lower leagues. I used to really like it in CM01/02 because it felt more real when the conference table looked all skewed (teams having played different amounts of matches etc.)

Please bring it back Marc!

I used to like it when you could make your transfer budget go a lot further by offering peanuts up front and then the rest over 4 years.

Also when you offered exactly double the players value and it was always accepted.

Scandinavian players costing a few grand turning into world class players worth millions in one season

The with/without the ball tactics screen is by far and away the thing I miss most from previous editions of FM (well, CM but you know what I mean!).

It gave your tactics that extra dimension. Currently your tactics are limited to a rigid 4-4-2 or whichever tactic you use without a real ability to adapt instantly to when your team loses the ball.

By using the with/without ball screen you are able to position your players to adapt to the conditions, i.e. when your defending in your own half, one of your strikers is able to drop back to form a 5 man midfield, but when you get the ball back an additional midfielder is able to work as an extra striker etc. These types of instances I feel will be worked on on training grounds on a daily basis and think it would be great to see this aspect of the tactics returning if not now then for FM2010.

If not, I'll just have to keep dreaming of my true tactic tinkering days!

couldn't agree more

everyone is going on bout the new 3d but im sure prem manager 99 used to have it

3D has been going for ages, PM97 on PC had it if I remember - was absolutely shocking and my PC could never handle it - exciting nonetheless.

Favourite feature of CM/FM...the speed of CM3 - CM01/02.

The grades slipped back then, but it was worth it.

Whwn I was really young I played Alex Fergusons player manager on the PS1. It had a set piece editor where you could intruct, on a chalkboard, player positions and runs. The thing is it actually worked!!!

I remember that game.

What I want to know is what was the point in making you, the "player manager" a really **** 34-year old who in the right mind would play themselves in the squad? Weird game. It also used to show you how much of the pitch players had covered throughout the game and stuff.

Something else I have thought of that should come back...

Countries bidding to host tournaments.

Back in the day we used to get news items saying (for example) Brazil, Canada, Russia and Spain have bid to host the 2018 World Cup, then a few months later another news item would appear saying who had won the vote. I liked this feature.

Tied in to that, hosts of tournaments should not be hard coded and also should not be on a (nearly) strict rotation. For the past few versions, different saves from different people have the same cycle of countries hosting tournaments/continental club competitions. This needs changing, and more variety implemented.

Pro Cycling Manager is able to do this. Every year there is a number of applicants to host the following year's World Championships, with the winner of the vote announced at the end of the year. Also, the cities vary from save to save, with only the first and second year's host hard coded into the game to mirror the real life hosts. If the French (PCM's developers are Paris based Cyanide) can do it, then surely SI can...

everyone is going on bout the new 3d but im sure prem manager 99 used to have it

Difference with that is all the 3D action was pre-determined and you'd see the same clips played all the time, wasn't really worth watching since it gave little impression of how each player was actually performing during the game.

i think it was in cm 96/97 that once you had installed the game from the disc you never needed to use the disc again. great ploy from si because i passed my disc on to a couple of friends and they got hooked and went out and bought the following seasons game and every year since!! fantastic marketing ploy.

There are two things i miss.

In the player search you could specify how many of the search requirements must be met. Great for finding good players.

The other thing i liked doing was looking at the national squads and checking whose contract is going to expire soon and adding those players to my shortlist. Sadly they messed it up when they changed the skin in FM05. I gave up reporting this as a bug because i kept getting ******** responses such as players have a contract with a club not with a country and so on. No one could explain why the hell do we still have a contract view available then. Who knows...might be fixed in FM09.

I remember one more i miss a LOT :)

Proper right click functionality

You used to be able to right click somewhere and a popup would appear. You then right clicked somewhere else and voila..again a popup.

Since fm07 this doesnt work anymore. For some reason you now have to left click after every right click or the second right click will not be registered and the original popup is still displayed.

So annoying that im going to report it as a bug again in FM09 :)

I remember with the wibble/wobble tactics screen you could set up the tactics so you could play with two GKs .

The features i miss more are the * indicating the 3 best players and also the player compare screen where you got stars inicating how good they were in each postion relative to each other rather than a million bars figures etc just at glance see how good they were rather than getting your calculator, slide rule and six computers trying to work it all out.

Archived