Match 32 - Group G - USA VS Portugal 2300BST

sean_oc16

United States VS Portugal 22 June 1800 local (2300 BST)

usa.gifmex.gif VS cmr.gifcmr.gifpor.gif

From Arena Amazonia, Manaus

Amazonia_Arena.jpg

Referee: Nestor Pitana (Argentina)

Assistant Referees: Hernan Maidana, Juan Pablo Belatti

Fourth official: Walter Lopez (Guatemala)

Tournament so far

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]USA[/TD]

[TD]Portugal[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ghana W 2-1[/TD]

[TD]Germany L 4-0[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

USA: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake); DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nuremberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders); Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City); Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes).

Portugal: Beto (Sevilla), Eduardo (Braga), Rui Patricio (Sporting); Andre Almeida (Benfica), Bruno Alves (Fenerbahce), Fabio Coentrao (Real Madrid), Joao Pereira (Valencia), Neto (Zenit), Pepe (Real Madrid), Ricardo Costa (Valencia); Joao Moutinho (Monaco), Miguel Veloso (Dinamo Kiev), Raul Meireles (Fenerbahce), Ruben Amorim (Benfica), William Carvalho (Sporting); Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Eder (SC Braga), Helder Postiga (Lazio), Hugo Almeida (Besiktas), Nani (Manchester United), Rafa (Braga), Varela (FC Porto), Vieirinha (Wolfsburg).

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to be wrong, but I can't see our fullbacks dealing with ronaldo for 90 minutes. I also don't like that we have an argentine ref for this either. can definitely see him buying into portugal's antics and calling all sorts of nothing fouls. won't be shocked if we have somebody sent off at some point either.

:(

No bet then, was hoping USA would have a like for like replacement for Altidore.

Portugal can now play a high line and press all over the pitch.

No real like for like in this squad. Boyd and Johnson have been left at home. Johannson and Wondolowski are quite different

Friedel sounds like he's gonna be a good pundit. Definitely done his research.

Heard about 2 minutes of him on the radio and he was great. Not sure how he'll be on TV because it's more geared towards soundbites than the radio where you can be more in depth without the need to constantly cut to highlights or crappy bbc montages.

Oh ffs. Cristiano being completely absolved of blame, and apparently despite being outscored by his centre back he carried his team to the World Cup. Righttttt.

I know, the assumptions they make are ridiculous. Neville saying if they had someone who could play passes through, did he not watch the playoffs?

Woah, Ronaldo has 112 caps already? He's only 29 too. Only 15 shy of breaking Figo's record. I thought he'd only played like 80 times for his country :D

Hoping the USA win this. I can't stand Portugal (bar one or two players) and I quite like the States' team. Would be great to see them make the last 16 and I think if they fail to win tonight then they'll go out at the group stages.

Oh ffs. Cristiano being completely absolved of blame, and apparently despite being outscored by his centre back he carried his team to the World Cup. Righttttt.

Did you see Portugal v Sweden (both legs)? Without Ronaldo we are watching Ibrahimovic instead.

Did you see Portugal v Sweden (both legs)? Without Ronaldo we are watching Ibrahimovic instead.

I did, yeah. Without Moutinho we'd be watching Ibra too, without Postiga and Bruno Alves we wouldn't even be seeing Portugal in the play-off game.

Only morons think Cristiano single handedly carried them, he was important but it wasn't a 1 man show.

Don't get why people are losing interest?

Maybe because it's less of a novelty now?

And England is out, Spain too, the WC is less interesting if the most famous teams are out.

Thankfully the group stage will finally be over this week, the playoffs tend to be far more interesting and games tend to be more competitive too.

Don't get why people are losing interest?

England are out. Automatically, people become less interested because their side isn't in it.

For the non-English people, most of them are still in it or are never in it (the Scots and Welsh among us) so we love the spectacle of football. The English people still around just love football/are true fans of the sport.

I did, yeah. Without Moutinho we'd be watching Ibra too, without Postiga and Bruno Alves we wouldn't even be seeing Portugal in the play-off game.

Only moronos think Cristiano single handedly carried them, he was important but it wasn't a 1 man show.

Who is Moronos? Never heard of him :D

He didn't single-handedly carry him but he was by far the biggest factor. His contribution to their qualification is tenfold that of anyone else. Not got a problem with people branding them a one man team. Without Ronaldo they are nothing.

strange to say it, but I think there has just been too many games and not everybody can watch all of them considering the kick off times, especially the 11pm kick offs

there will be more interest next week when teams start to go out of the competition

Archived