The Anyone But Spain thread

• SI Staff

I decided to create this thread, as I myself - and I am sure there are others - almost weekly see myself shaking my head disbelief over the incredible unsporting conduct the Spanish players show.

Let's all hope they crash and burn as they have often done.

Besides, they have already won four years ago * and won the European Championships as well, so it's time to pass the torch to another side.

They also play boring football - although that's not really a crime, but their massive and aggressive whinging towards the referee should also not be gone unnoticed.

* While on doping. Isn't it rather interesting that there is a massive drug bust in the Cycling world, not limited to several Spanish riders. Allegations and ties to the Football world, upon which a judge decides to eliminate the evidence. Ha. Can you get anymore guilty?

Anyway, during this World Cup I am sure this will unfold until a thread of horrible horrible gameplay and personalities bringing the game into disrepute.

Let's start with an example:

_fad6c5f279b57bb59a456a242b24b031.gif?noht=1

It's frustrating as they can play entertaining football- such as the Euro 2012 final. The tiki taka football can be brilliant to watch, as Barca were at their peak say 2009-11ish, but it is bloody boring when it's done at a slow pace, and passed side, to side...to side...to side...to side......

Problem is sides know Spain will strangle them with possession so sit back and let them play in front of them. Then there's a bit of good ol fashioned lack of penetration from Spain and ta daa, you got a Spain game

People whine that it's not fair that teams defend like this against them but that's what happens when you have a particular style and it's kind of up to Spain to break them down. Hence the 1-0s in tournaments

• SI Staff

For me it's not really that. Yeah, the Spaniards play pretty boring football. Which does suck, but I can live with that. They're just unsporting.

alba-ball-to-face1.gif

Pathetic. Although somewhat understandable, as it's Robben... but still...

• SI Staff
I'd have thrown it at his balls, give him something to cry about!

Anyway, I've nothing against Spain, or any other WC nation for that matter. Can't we just enjoy football without all the hate, schaudenfreude, baiting and general ******* behaviour for a change?

As soon as consistently and continuously cheating ******** are out of the game - then yes, yes we can.

Appalling

I'd love to know what the defenders of cheating say about that one, which is basically the entire 'serious' football media these days

It's usually something along the lines of 'they (foreigners amirite :brock:) just see the ref as another opponent to be defeated' ... that's a favourite. Where's that in the football rules again? Also, just in the last couple of decades they've thought that, more and more oddly :D

Another one is 'well bad tackles are far worse' as if we live in a world when we can only report on just one issue

Stuff like that link I just don't understand. There's no 'there was contact' no 'he left his leg out and he went over' just no justification whatsoever other than trying to get someone else in trouble. Pathetic. They'll still be people saying 'well, he shouldn't have touched his hair'

My blood boils when I see things like this :D

Reddiablo been drinking I think. Holland in 2010 were the most unsporting side to ever play a world cup final.

Anyway I'd like for someone else to win it this time as well, they've all had their moment. This year it's Argentina or Belgium :cool:

• SI Staff
Reddiablo been drinking I think. Holland in 2010 were the most unsporting side to ever play a world cup final.

Anyway I'd like for someone else to win it this time as well, they've all had their moment. This year it's Argentina or Belgium :cool:

There really wasn't much difference overall between the aggression of both sides. Yes, both nations were quite unsporting. Sadly, for Spain it's a rule and not an exception. (bar Robben perhaps)

Spain weren't very sporting either, but Holland took it a couple of steps further. And not just in the final.

It was embarrassing from start to finish really. I might also add I always enjoyed Holland before, and supported them whenever Belgium weren't there or were knocked out.

• SI Staff
Spain weren't very sporting either, but Holland took it a couple of steps further. And not just in the final.

It was embarrassing from start to finish really. I might also add I always enjoyed Holland before, and supported them whenever Belgium weren't there or were knocked out.

Honestly, I think it's a case of where you don't really expect the Dutch side to be aggressive and then as they did play aggressively it's much more of a shock and a surprise and it then seems like it's a lot worse? It doesn't help if commentators and viewers share this view. I mean, if you're up against Spain - some other South American teams and some of the African sides - you know there are going to be plenty of bad tackles.

Am pretty much in this camp as I appreciate how good the team is, but it's just so hard to actually enjoy them winning things. When a poor team does all the play-acting it's quite funny as it looks pathetic, but you think Spain don't need to resort to such nonsense.

It's very rare that a team creates any chances against them though, and I do respect how good the team is and how hard they work. Yet at the same time, I would love to see a big team brush them aside like Brazil at the Confederations Cup.

That's Arbeloa though, he's a **** of the highest order as well. Not saying Alba isn't a big faker, but even the most decent player around would be tempted to start taking dives against that guy. That's from when Mourinho was in charge, and we all know how he approached the Clasico.

The Netherlands in the 2010 final were very aggressive, but you can be aggressive in the game and you get penalised. Foul play is part of the game, but the referee should notice and you move on. There is an honesty to a good foul.

Feigning injury, pretending to be hurt, diving are unsporting conduct, but are hard for a referee to police as the main aim of some players is to deceive.

So yeah.... Aggressive play>>>>deceit

ABS

• SI Staff

Four years ago all players received € 600.000 for winning the World Title. The Spanish FA initially allowed the same bonus for this World Cup. After heavy debate from mostly Xavi and Iker Casillas, by suggesting the enormous ccompetition in Brazil, they thought they are justified in asking for a higher bonus payment. The Spanish FA decided to increase it to € 750.000

Overpaid ********! 3 games, 3 losses. Get the F out of Brazil, you obnoxious scum!

I hope Spain play against Brazil at some point, I don't mind their boring style, even funnier if Diego Costa manages to score against Brazil.

• SI Staff
I hope Spain play against Brazil at some point, I don't mind their boring style, even funnier if Diego Costa manages to score against Brazil.

I am hoping Holland finish first in the group, and ideally Chile as second - but perhaps it will be Spain, so that they can get annihilated but those sexy Canaries.

Neymar hattrick, please.

I am hoping Holland finish first in the group, and ideally Chile as second - but perhaps it will be Spain, so that they can get annihilated but those sexy Canaries.

Neymar hattrick, please.

The 'sexy canaries' died in 1982. This is Brazil now: :cool:

2009_179_042_0468_Pof2-700x805.jpg

Four years ago all players received € 600.000 for winning the World Title. The Spanish FA initially allowed the same bonus for this World Cup. After heavy debate from mostly Xavi and Iker Casillas, by suggesting the enormous ccompetition in Brazil, they thought they are justified in asking for a higher bonus payment. The Spanish FA decided to increase it to € 750.000

Overpaid ********! 3 games, 3 losses. Get the F out of Brazil, you obnoxious scum!

Put the drink down, mate.

Archived