FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

where can you change the players rest days in training, can't find it unless it has been removed, can only see where you do it for each individual day which is a bit annoying

What do you mean? There are two checkbox to "Allow rest before/after match" at the top of the Team Training panel. These can be overridden on a per match basis too, but there's a bug that we're aware of that prevents you from removing the rest day set before/after a specific match.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A player in the AML/R positions who is instructed to cut inside is an Inside Forward.

ah ok, so they've already been selected? Because it's telling me that it's "unavailable for duty and role selected" which suggests to me that you can't tell him to cut inside. Poor wording.

basque search filter seams to be bugged and not turning up any hits at all, could this have to do with the secoundary nationality change from basque to pays basque? would assume that since this was changed the search filters was not updated at all to work with this change

Actually, there's no need as we're aware of this issue but thanks for raising this.

Qhen you make an offer for a player and his team comes back with an alternative price it doen't show the amount of your previous bid so you get no frame of reference between your offer and what they will accept. As an example it would be better to have:

"Barcelona have rejected your offer of £100 million for Lionel Messi"

"Barcelona will settle for a deal of..."

Probably tied into the squad selection issues that are already documented, but here goes:

AI clubs aren't playing their best youth prospects, or loaning them out, or leaving them in the U21s, or really doing much of anything. Here's Januzaj, who has played in two friendlies and done nothing else from the season's start until February. Almost every top young player in the PL who isn't quite a bonafide first teamer stats-wise is in the same position: Ravel Morrison, Andros Townsend, van Ginkel, etc.

I'd assume the AI managers deem these players good enough to be nominal members of the first team squad, but not good enough to ever get a game. In reality they'd play regularly in the U21s and be eased into regular first team action over time. Obviously a big deal that needs to be worked on, as if the AI can't develop players then it can't provide any kind of challenge.

• SI Staff
I can't select "cut inside with the ball" for my wide attacking midfielder. Why? There's a few instructions that are blanked out despite them making perfect sense for the roles I've selected

For some of these roles ajw they instruction is greyed out because it is "turned on" and if was turned off would change the type of player he is.

Might be more 'realistic', but this has killed the game for me. Most lower league clubs have zero transfer budget (in fact, some bigger clubs also do). The amount of frees you can sign is limited enough, now you won't be able to sign a single free who has an agent. Poor show.

Also, nowhere on the transfer confirmation screen does it inform you what this fee is for.

Been impressed so far, but this is a gamebreaker for me.

It's going to take some getting used to. I just signed a striker for 6.8 million and had 9 taken out my account. I can't see where it tells you its going to cost 9 anywhere before the confirmation screen.

Is anyone else being forced to talk to the media when they sign a new player?

I have my assistant selected to do all media talks but with 3 players signed 3 times I have had to talk to the media.

Is this working as intended or can it also be down to the fact I sacked my previous assistant after a week and hired a new one and he is a bit shy. :p

Hi Guys, just finished preseason, and my first game vs southampton (a hard fought 3-1) and i gotta say im very impressed.

il break it down for ease of reading

UI:

much slicker, less cluttered, but still everything there that needs to be. some buttons are "slow" (takes a while to get a response once pressed) but hey, its the beta still.

Tactics:

although in theory you get much less choice, i feel its a massively positive step for the creation of tactics. no more messing around with sliders that you dont fully understand, not to mention that they were unrealistic. i like the fact that you give semi realistic instructions rather than going up and down notches on the sliders.

Match engine:

i have to say, im not sure what the people complaining saying its the same as last year are on about, maybe its just because i use a PC with it full graphics that i notice it, or maybe not. i have to say its a massive jump forwards. player movement is much more realistic, players look more like people, ball moves better, animations are much better.

maybe a bit too much sliding into tackles and to win the ball at the moment, however it once again may just be how i have my team set up.

havent noticed any too erratic defending. the only thing i have noticed regularly over the 8 games is the hairy backpasses to the keeper, although i know its listed as a known bug.

overall a massive improvement, and although i know i will get frustrated and begin to notice things wrong, its still no doubt much better.

Transfers:

this is one of the main plusses in my opinion, the transfer prices being asked by clubs is much more realistic. in the previous game with my 15 mil budget i would have had to search the transfer market bargain bin for the player i wanted (an ideally world class left winger), in this one i picked up lorenzo insigne for a very reasonable price (wont post exactly how much as some people consider it a spoiler). before signing insigne i also noticed that just about every player i scouted that had an asking price, was well within the realms of realism, but definately not unrealistically cheap either. if it carries on then i would say you have it close to spot on (although will have to do some more scouting within different types of player to get a sound opinion)

really enjoyed my first 4 hours on the game, just a shame i have work in the morning. :(

Just a couple of questions.

Why would windowed mode decrease the responsiveness of the interface (as per the warning)? I've always played in windowed mode and whilst I know my PC would never struggle with FM (it's a gaming rig), I'm just curious as to the reasoning.

Secondly - what would you say is the best way to experience the game? Full screen or windowed? In the past I've never felt like full screen was necessary - sure, more information was displayed but everything you needed to know was in windowed mode and took up much less screen estate.

...and finally - any chance of a full-screen borderless mode?

About to get cracking with the game - initial impressions are that the interface is very snappy and looks great¬

This would be great

Looks pretty slick so far, but I'd suggest a rethink over the calendar that appears when you press continue.

It's massive, actively slows the game down and so far the extra space seems pretty pointless.

What was the rationale behind increasing its size? I thought it was pretty bang on in FM13.

• Administrators
Looks pretty slick so far, but I'd suggest a rethink over the calendar that appears when you press continue.

It's massive, actively slows the game down and so far the extra space seems pretty pointless.

What was the rationale behind increasing its size? I thought it was pretty bang on in FM13.

Doesn't slow the game down - it's running at the same speed. The fixtures may whizz through slightly slower, but this is so the user can actually see them.

Probably tied into the squad selection issues that are already documented, but here goes:

AI clubs aren't playing their best youth prospects, or loaning them out, or leaving them in the U21s, or really doing much of anything. Here's Januzaj, who has played in two friendlies and done nothing else from the season's start until February. Almost every top young player in the PL who isn't quite a bonafide first teamer stats-wise is in the same position: Ravel Morrison, Andros Townsend, van Ginkel, etc.

I'd assume the AI managers deem these players good enough to be nominal members of the first team squad, but not good enough to ever get a game. In reality they'd play regularly in the U21s and be eased into regular first team action over time. Obviously a big deal that needs to be worked on, as if the AI can't develop players then it can't provide any kind of challenge.

Sorry to be a jerk and quote my own post, but I don't see the top prospects wandering around with no match fitness in the other countries I'm running, only in England. This leads me to believe it's a problem with how the game renders the new English U21 league.

Hi Guys, just finished preseason, and my first game vs southampton (a hard fought 3-1) and i gotta say im very impressed.

il break it down for ease of reading

UI:

much slicker, less cluttered, but still everything there that needs to be. some buttons are "slow" (takes a while to get a response once pressed) but hey, its the beta still.

Tactics:

although in theory you get much less choice, i feel its a massively positive step for the creation of tactics. no more messing around with sliders that you dont fully understand, not to mention that they were unrealistic. i like the fact that you give semi realistic instructions rather than going up and down notches on the sliders.

Match engine:

i have to say, im not sure what the people complaining saying its the same as last year are on about, maybe its just because i use a PC with it full graphics that i notice it, or maybe not. i have to say its a massive jump forwards. player movement is much more realistic, players look more like people, ball moves better, animations are much better.

maybe a bit too much sliding into tackles and to win the ball at the moment, however it once again may just be how i have my team set up.

havent noticed any too erratic defending. the only thing i have noticed regularly over the 8 games is the hairy backpasses to the keeper, although i know its listed as a known bug.

overall a massive improvement, and although i know i will get frustrated and begin to notice things wrong, its still no doubt much better.

Transfers:

this is one of the main plusses in my opinion, the transfer prices being asked by clubs is much more realistic. in the previous game with my 15 mil budget i would have had to search the transfer market bargain bin for the player i wanted (an ideally world class left winger), in this one i picked up lorenzo insigne for a very reasonable price (wont post exactly how much as some people consider it a spoiler). before signing insigne i also noticed that just about every player i scouted that had an asking price, was well within the realms of realism, but definately not unrealistically cheap either. if it carries on then i would say you have it close to spot on (although will have to do some more scouting within different types of player to get a sound opinion)

really enjoyed my first 4 hours on the game, just a shame i have work in the morning. :(

good stuff

though I'm pretty sure Lorenzo Insigne should command a NOT very reasonable fee IRL, certainly over 15M...

I thought it was slick and pretty quick. The its maybe a little large but it's doesn't slow my game down.

Doesn't slow the game down - it's running at the same speed. The fixtures may whizz through slightly slower, but this is so the user can actually see them.

Fair enough, might be my imagination on the speed.

Any chance of an option to reduce the size in the full game if (m)any others aren't keen on it either?

good stuff

though I'm pretty sure Lorenzo Insigne should command a NOT very reasonable fee IRL, certainly over 15M...

As i said i didnt want to give it away, but in terms of up front money, it wasnt far below 15 at all. Add to that the clauses (sell on, money once he scores so many goals and when he reaches so many internationals) and it takes it slightly above. I also managed to free up money by selling a couple of players. Irl i wouldnt expect napoli to turn down a 20 mil pound offer. While they are rich, there still isnt much money in the italian league generally any more to be turning down that sort of offer for that level of player

Is anyone else noticing how bad fullbacks are at following runs, being in position and making challenges?

Mines seem to never be in position, either they're too far up the pitch (sometimes running up even when the other team are attacking) or they're far too narrow, letting the wide player put in an uncontested cross.

My first impressions are that i like the UI, graphics are improved but totally gutted with tactical rehaul.

I have played FM since the beginning and loved the sliders, as they give the ability to almost give numerical value to tactical settings and adapt them scientifically - in the way sport science is allowing teams like Dortmund to do irl. I don't see why this couldn't have been left in, I just don't like the shouts system - they are too vague in impact and don't allow the same detail of change. Really disappointed by this and tempted to cancel my pre-order.

The extra space you refer to can be filled completely depending on the amount of news/results that happened on the day.

Loving the new game! Great stuff!

Two things though:

1. Did you remove the option to turn off all player photos? I only see an option to turn off regen photos...

2. Wasn't there suppose to be an option for instant result in the main game?

Fair enough, might be my imagination on the speed.

Any chance of an option to reduce the size in the full game if (m)any others aren't keen on it either?

That's unlikely, but the size may be editable through an xml change - your best bet is to check with the Skinning Hideout subforum.

Loving the new game! Great stuff!

Two things though:

1. Did you remove the option to turn off all player photos? I only see an option to turn off regen photos...

2. Wasn't there suppose to be an option for instant result in the main game?

1) Yep. That option wasn't very popular and when switched on could cause issues with the layout. Thus, it was decided for the option to be removed.

Like the ME at high you can really see the nice differences and the touches that SI put into this game.

Transfer system its refreshing to see that you can offload and get offers for under the radar players , i managed to offload a high wage player for a decent to low sum to a saudi arabian club i think :).

UI this year is excelent and quite nice , the only thing i hate that button at the tactics the black one .

The GK animations are awful tbh and the net movements when the ball touches it the same but that can be fixed i stil get gk animations when lobbed they dive in lateral.

Bought Macheda and actually Man U proposed 4 or 5 transfer clauses , that was a nice thing to see i was prepared to do that when i low balled them but the counter offer was very realistical and with clauses that will actually help me .

• Administrators
@SI

Sorry for repost but where is the option to talk to press about managers/players.

For example on FM13 we could talk to press about interest in a player, criticise National team inclusion, or endore a youngster etc. Cant see any of that now, bar the declare interest

Most of this is now included within the narrative press conferences or prompted for the user to comment upon. Not sure about endorsing a youngster and those ones, will have to check with someone else.

• Administrators
I get full game crash EVERY time I add a large amount of players (normally my youth team) to unwanted list > sell or release

Can anyone reproduce? (save first!)

Can you raise this here please? - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/342-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues

We'd also appreciate if you could describe EXACTLY how you did this it'd be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Archived