FM13: GPTG General Advice & Tips - For those playing as clubs with no team guides!

Purefun

Your infamous Hoffenheim thread did a number on me last time and gave me my longest stint in FM for last 2-3 incarnations! :) I just cant break the 4-5 season barrier as I get bored. Its been like this for years :(

Infamous? :(

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SRL88: he was paying you a compliment:) and I recall it was an excellent thread (your love for Gylfi being matched only by Reading fans).

I recently started a save with Gillingham but sadly don't have time to create a thread for them, hence posting in here. By selling some clauses relating to Ryan Bertrand you can get £700k transfer budget to start in League 2, although the board emphatically restrict the wage bill to about £24k with no allowance to edit the budget. I got promoted in second place in season 1 (minimum board expectation of promotion), and the team is now sitting just outside the play-off's in December season 2 (the target was consolidation).

To make my challenge harder, after buying Liam Hearn from Grimsby right at the outset I self-imposed myself to buying/loaning only South East related players - e.g they play/played for a club in the broad area of London, South East, South Coast, with a special dispensation to include France and French players. I actually only signed one French defender in season 1 plus added his brother in the winter window, and the French connection was included because of geographical reasons given that Kent > France is quite a common journey in the real world!

This strategy to form a locally concentrated squad applies even to my youth squad for whom I picked up some Premier league youngsters released at the end of season 1 from teams like Spurs. I wanted to build a whole club that the locals would want to support, and the healthy (for level) gates, all-seater stadium and area potential were also factors in my choice of club and mission. I have created virtually my own youth squad from the few I inherited at the start and other 'real' players. I don't ever use regens or newgens but still wanted to bring through some young talents to the first team in the future. I use some of these in the reserves also, along with the better young reserves that I inherited. I sold or released the older players as I never like to keep anybody over 30, and send some of my youngsters out to my locally chosen non-league feeder club.

Due to the wage bill limitations as mentioned above (it only went to about £28k per week after promotion to League 1) you are limited to lower/non league and lower reputation players plus some French reserves and youth team players, but I have secured some good players for this level. Actually, the squad was probably better in the first season because some of the loans I had and wanted to repeat were not possible, and the wage budget for season 2 didn't get anywhere near what I needed to sign the best of those on again permanently. I think the transfer budget for the second season was under £300k also, even though I hadn't used all of my first season allowance.

Having said all that, I'm amazed at the progress of my French centre back who I picked up for £150k at the start of Season 1. He has been ever-present for one and a half seasons so far, with an average rating of 7.60 in that time and his value is now over £900k. Luckily I extended his contract to 2017 already:thup:.

For season 2, I've added a French goalkeeper and winger (so the squad has 4 from France in total now) but apart from these, I only added two loan signings (one short term), two free transfers that were on loan with me in season 1, and a young defender (all of which are back-up only). The core of the side is formed from the original League 2 squad as I like to keep a sense of reality.

The original staff weren't that great but as I thought no Gills fan would remove Andy Hessenthaler from his DOF role, I left him and another long-term club servant Ron Hillyard (GK coach), before releasing the others. I replaced them with ex-Gills or 'known names' with South East influenced careers that I felt had decent attributes for this level.

I'd encourage anyone to consider giving Gillingham a go even if they don't approach it in the same way as me. Or if anybody has done/is playing as the men from Kent, it would be good to hear of your progress and/or exchange ideas. If anybody is interested, I'm happy to suggest names of players or staff that I used or signed for this kind of project (some of which could be useful for other lower league saves).

Need a bit of help with my Coventry City save. Just won L1 and in pre season going into the 2nd year. Board has lowered wage budget and given me £0 to spend. Had quite a few loans last year but now teams are expecting me to pay large chunks of wage contribution, even my parent club.

Im not sure if its best just keeping who i've got and hoping a takeover comes in soon (Board are looking to sell but no offers been made) or whether i should sell off a most of my squad so i can bring in a few players on loans/frees (Already signed Owain fon Williams, Alan Judge, Rivaldo & Jon Daly on frees).

So what would be better option;

-Keep the squad as it is even though it is pretty weak compared to the rest of the league

-Sell as many players as i can and try and bring in a few top quality players

Heres my squad at the moment:

tacticsp.png

For anyone looking for an interesting team to be, I had one of my most fun saves with Udinese, even though I got sacked in February :( They've got around 20 quality players out on loan or co owned, so for someone like me, who loves a bit of wheelin' and dealin', it had a lot of promise for the end of the season, considering theres players like Cuadrado and Armero out on loan, with the possibility of bringing Handanovic and D'agostino back!

Also, for my first game ever, the club would continually make profit every year, even when you spent a fair bit. Your transfer budget would also keep getting bumped up throughout the year because there are a lot of clauses which rake in the cash, for example, Alexis Sanchez brings around 4m throughout the year just through making appearances for Barca, and Arsenal bought some random left winger from Granada for 21m, which I had a 20% sell on clause for, so got a good chunk of money off that :) But yeah, really interesting team and a lot of dealing needs to be done at the end of the first season because you'll have about 4 or 5 quality players for each position!

i posted a thread regarding Dyanamo Kyiv which was rightfully deleted as it was in the wrong place. I have started my new game with them and have been playing over the course of the last 24 hours.

I have soon realised this a good enough challenge in a competitive league with four main title challenges in Shaktar, Dnipro, Metalist and ourselves. The main challenge is to be the top team and overturn Shaktars grip of the league title. With the requirement of needing four Ukrainian players in your starting 11 doesnt hamper your signings from abroad but does add a little challenge to overcome. I started off with a transfer budget of 10.7 mill sterling with a aim of title challenge. With players in your team such as Yarmolenko, Garmash, Veloso and Ruben you have a solid spine in your side. If anyone fancies or has done a game of dynamo kyiv before i would be happy to hear of your input of them.

After 21 games in the league he has an average rating of 7.22. He plays best as a deep lying playmaker support. i used him as a deep lying playmaker defend but he wasnt as good. He is definetly a big game player, always puts his best performances in against the big boys and in europe. His partner in centre midfield is denys garmash, hes 22 yrs old and is absolute class. im sure he will develop into a world beater.

Just heading into my second season as Villarreal. Always been a team I've liked, and seeing them in the Segunda despite having players like Senna, Musacchio, Cani, Uche, Zapata, De Guzman, Mellberg and Venta was not something I wanted to last much longer. First season went fairly well. Didn't win the Segunda, but did get Automatic Promotion thanks to a couple of good results at the back end of the season. It's fortunate that Villarreal's squad is so good, because the finances just aren't. Couldn't afford to do anything in either transfer window in the first season, the board are ludicrously tight. Eventually though, after working my way into La Liga, and cashing in on Cani and Joselu for a combined £9.2m, I've been able to bring a few guys in. Here are my transfers in:

Mattia Destro - Free

Jack Butland - Loan

Yossi Benayoun - Free

Alexander Kolarov - Loan

Magaye Guaye - Loan

Mladen Petric - Free

So I've not spent anything, other than monthly fees on the loans, so no actual transfer spending, but a decent group of players there. I'm particularly happy to have snapped up Destro, Butland, Kolarov and Guaye, as they should play key roles in the First Team for me. Praying that we can avoid relegation, and after that season get a bit of a finance boost. Would love a tycoon takeover, but would be surprised if that happened.

Here's how I'm lining up:

----------------------Butland------------------------

--Mario------Zapata---------Musacchio----Kolarov-----

----------------------Bruno----------------------------

-------------De Guzman-----Cani--------------------

---Perez-------------------------------------Guaye------

----------------------Destro-----------------------------

Hopefully that'll be good enough to spare me relegation, it should be, it's a decent first XI, but the squad is thin, and a few injuries to key players could really hurt me. Just have to wait and see I guess!

Does anyone have a tactic to suggest for getting promotion from the BSP? Currently Stockport and we've strengthened well in pre season but we're so inconsistent: win lose win lose win lose, so frustrating. I'm confident we have one of the best squads in the division, just don't know how to approach it tactically?

Does anyone have a tactic to suggest for getting promotion from the BSP? Currently Stockport and we've strengthened well in pre season but we're so inconsistent: win lose win lose win lose, so frustrating. I'm confident we have one of the best squads in the division, just don't know how to approach it tactically?

At that level, I would honestly play long ball football. The pitches are rubbish so there is no point playing Tika-Taka football as it just won't work. Play to the strengths of being at that level. When I am in the lower divisions I usually play 4-5-1, rigid, really difficult to beat and make my players get stuck in all the time. It works a treat for me everytime I am at that level.

id definetly stick to rigid philosophy. Maybe a basic 4-4-2. Press more and stick to positions should be applied. End of the day you dont want to play fluid, expresive formations in that league as in my eyes players of that calibre do struggle to pull it off. Im guessing some people on here have pulled it off but id stick to a safe option of play to get results.

At that level, I would honestly play long ball football. The pitches are rubbish so there is no point playing Tika-Taka football as it just won't work. Play to the strengths of being at that level. When I am in the lower divisions I usually play 4-5-1, rigid, really difficult to beat and make my players get stuck in all the time. It works a treat for me everytime I am at that level.
id definetly stick to rigid philosophy. Maybe a basic 4-4-2. Press more and stick to positions should be applied. End of the day you dont want to play fluid, expresive formations in that league as in my eyes players of that calibre do struggle to pull it off. Im guessing some people on here have pulled it off but id stick to a safe option of play to get results.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. How do you think I should approach it regarding strategy then? counter/standard/control?

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. How do you think I should approach it regarding strategy then? counter/standard/control?

I would go standard and you can always change it during a game depending on how things are going.

Going amazingly in my first La Liga season as Villarreal. Made a few last minute key signings, bringing in Leonard Kweuke on loan from Spurs (god knows what they're doing. Signed Andy Carroll for £5m and left Kweuke rotting in the reserves), and somehow managed to snaffle Fede Vico for £1m with a 30% sell on fee percentage. Those 2 signings have been superb. Kweuke's got 10 goals in 13 with an average rating of 7.78, and Vico's nominated for the Golden Boy award, with 4 goals and 6 assists with an average rating of 7.16. As for the team performance, we're 5th in La Liga, with 27 points from 17 games, going very nicely indeed. Was expecting to struggle to avoid relegation, but we're doing very well. Hopefully the form'll continue and could potentially get into Europe! I'm obviously doing alright though, been offered the Chelsea and Valencia jobs this season, am hot property!

How does anyone make any money in Spain? Is there not TV Revenue for staying in La Liga, like in the Premier League? Made £22m in TV revenue last season, but with expenditure we're only making £7m a year tops, which just isn't enough to compete. Every season I'm relying on loans and free transfers. Going into my second season as Villarreal, and other that securing Kweuke on permanent for £2.3m, I've relied on Free's and Loans, bringing Butland back in, and adding Nene, Will Hughes, Alejandro Faulin and a few youngsters, and been forced to sell De Guzman for £9.75m, so not really made any positive progress with the squad, which, after only managing to finish 12th last season, it's going to be even more difficult this season!

you wont make meaningful amounts of money from the league. think its about 4mil tops for winning it.

you need the champions league money really to be able to make big purchases.

doing better over time you should get yourself better team tv deals if your rep increases.

first few seasons keep wages in check and buy low sell high!

My PC restarted itself earlier just as I drew with Real 2 - 2 now when I reloaded I won 2 - 0, feel like a cheat but I'll be there ages trying to get it to 2 - 2 again plus there was some other fixtures too.

In my save I play in spain with Celta Vigo I am in my 2nd season just now, I know the money isn't great in spain compared to england and italy I would say the champions league money is a must and probably better to find bargains an then sell them on for a good profit. I finished 6th in my 1st season an a doubt i'll finish in a champions league place this season but will be looking to finish in one on my 3rd season, I think my best option is to try and sign cheap regens an develop them into great players hopefully.

How does anyone make any money in Spain? Is there not TV Revenue for staying in La Liga, like in the Premier League? Made £22m in TV revenue last season, but with expenditure we're only making £7m a year tops, which just isn't enough to compete. Every season I'm relying on loans and free transfers. Going into my second season as Villarreal, and other that securing Kweuke on permanent for £2.3m, I've relied on Free's and Loans, bringing Butland back in, and adding Nene, Will Hughes, Alejandro Faulin and a few youngsters, and been forced to sell De Guzman for £9.75m, so not really made any positive progress with the squad, which, after only managing to finish 12th last season, it's going to be even more difficult this season!

Decided to start a save with Villarreal, shame there isnt a thread (may make one if it turns into a long term save) anyway i noticed you said you didnt sign anyone first season, but did u sell anyone ? as some are on big wages and with the loan repayments my balance has dropped to £2.43M, am only at the end of Oct

Nope, made absolutely no transfers in the first season. It wasn't until the second season where I managed to get £7m for Uche, £2.2m for Joselu, £1.3m for Diego Marino, £1.1m for Florian Lejeune and £1.5m for Jaume Costa. Finances didn't look great in the first season, but after getting promoted it all evened itself out, and I had enough money to strengthen ready for La Liga.

Nope, made absolutely no transfers in the first season. It wasn't until the second season where I managed to get £7m for Uche, £2.2m for Joselu, £1.3m for Diego Marino, £1.1m for Florian Lejeune and £1.5m for Jaume Costa. Finances didn't look great in the first season, but after getting promoted it all evened itself out, and I had enough money to strengthen ready for La Liga.

Ah ok thanks, i havent bought or sold anyone so far although i may get rid of one or two in jan if i can as some arent getting a game, done well to get £7M for Uche he is only a backup for me as i only play 1 upfront so use Perbet or Pereira. Am also playing in FMC mode as the full mode takes to long for me

Anyone have any experience playing with Tranmere since the update? They've had a massive boost and most of the team has the potential to become really good premier league players, I'm thinking it could be a good save as by the time you get to the premier league most of your team will have become pretty good. They've also only got 4 or 5 players over the age of 21!

Anyone have any experience playing with Tranmere since the update? They've had a massive boost and most of the team has the potential to become really good premier league players, I'm thinking it could be a good save as by the time you get to the premier league most of your team will have become pretty good. They've also only got 4 or 5 players over the age of 21!

That sounds like a good idea Dave.

I never looked at them so couldn't comment on the boost, or how they are to play with, but they are top (March 2013) in my current League 1 save, so your comments would seem to be accurate.

That sounds like a good idea Dave.

I never looked at them so couldn't comment on the boost, or how they are to play with, but they are top (March 2013) in my current League 1 save, so your comments would seem to be accurate.

Yeah, I've always thought about having a game with them as my family are from up there, but in previous versions they've always been terrible and relegation contenders, and before the update they were severely underrated so weren't worth playing with, pretty much all the players bar 1 or 2 have 4-5 star potential and a few players like the goalkeeper Owain Fon Williams are already premier league quality according to my scout reports!

Yeah, I've always thought about having a game with them as my family are from up there, but in previous versions they've always been terrible and relegation contenders, and before the update they were severely underrated so weren't worth playing with, pretty much all the players bar 1 or 2 have 4-5 star potential and a few players like the goalkeeper Owain Fon Williams are already premier league quality according to my scout reports!

In that case, go for it as that should give you plenty of reasons to retain your interest! Fon Williams used to be my go-to 'keeper in my first few years of FM (circa 06/07).

There is a LLM thread but I am not sure if that is for League 2 or lower. Or maybe here is the right place to post your updates?

Without ever wishing to hijack their threads, I tend to join in a little with the guys on the other L1 threads (Crewe and Pompey) for the odd bit of banter and idea-sharing as sadly there isn't a specific thread for most clubs like The Trannies, or a general League 1 guide.

Good luck and enjoy if you decide to do it.

Well, just started as AFC Wimbledon. Brought in two youngsters on loan, and started the season with a 0-3 loss in the first round of the Capital One Cup away to Brighton & Hove. I'm not dissapointed though, as I never expected we'd get through. First match of the season is away against Gillingham.

Anyone had any luck with Parma on the latest DB?

They're my Italian team so I started a game with them, brought Eros Pisano and Libor Kozak in on loan, but I'm having a torrid time at the moment, having played 12 games, drawing 5, losing 7 and winning NONE! I'm surprised I haven't been sacked yet....

The biggest problem is I just can't get the team scoring, defensively we're not too bad, with only 1-0 losses to Juventus and Milan, but Amauri and Kozak are both donkies, and even with Belfodils massive boost, he just can't score at all for me, I've scored a measly 2 goals altogether, both coming from Biabiany in the first couple of games, this is a real toughy!

EDIT - And theres the sacking.......:(

Ive always like parma since the Chiesa days and I had a great game with them last year but after losing so many good players in the summer I've steered clear so far. Shame about the sacking, are you going to have another go?

Yeah, I will have another go, not sure if I'll start again today or in a day or 2, playing with them on FIFA yesterday has definitely rekindled my love for them! Hopefully my team will play a bit better...

Losing Giovinco was a massive loss, I also gained interest in Parma when they had super Gio and Alberto Paloschi, so I used to love playing with them 2! But this year they are still quite quality, Belfodil has had a pretty huge boost in the update and has the potential to be a 4 and a half star player, and Sansone is also quite the wonderkid.

The main issue with this years team is up front. I'm not a fan of Amauri (even though he seems to be doing pretty well in real life!) but he is pretty useless on the game, and the only other natural striker is Belfodil. Biabiany, Palladino and Sansone can all play up front, but I don't think any of them are goalscorers, and its really hard to bring in a quality striker when the transfer and wage budgets are pretty low to start with, I guess trying to get some players in on a free and maybe 1 or 2 hot prospects could work...

If you can get them clicking, Parma are massive fun though, they've got a pretty massive squad, with about 7 or 8 players on loan, and plenty of quality players out on co-onwerships or out on loan, which I love dealing with! Give them a go, I love trying to get them back to the days of being in Europe, with world class players!

I had a brilliant Parma save before the latest update, I won every trophy possible and made them a force again it has been my best save so far. I think I may go them again with the latest update after my Celta Vigo save.

All this talk about Parma has got me to start another save :p this time I've decided to keep Sansone and Ampuero in the squad and not send them out on loan, and I've brought in De Sciglio on loan and Rocchi from Inter, wish me luck!

Archived