FM13: GPTG General Advice & Tips - For those playing as clubs with no team guides!

Purefun

Yeah they had an amazing team 10-15 years ago. Along with gio, floccari going back to lazio was a blow. Despite his age, last year on fm he got 25 goals at least in each of my 3 seasons n led me to a serie a title. Glad biabiany is still there as pace is always good to have. Had Belfodil for Nice on a save on FM13 and he was a beast after a few years.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a brilliant Parma save before the latest update, I won every trophy possible and made them a force again it has been my best save so far. I think I may go them again with the latest update after my Celta Vigo save.

This sounds so awesome! What kinda team did you end up with the end? Wanna see what sort of players you attracted...

Deja vu here, 1st league game against Fiorentina and its exactly the same story as my last game, not too bad defensively but can't score at all, Rocchi had been tearing it up in pre season scoring in nearly every game and now he's not getting anything, it also seems like my players always give possession away, this is very frustrating! :p

This sounds so awesome! What kinda team did you end up with the end? Wanna see what sort of players you attracted...

I can't remember all the team as I have deleted the save and was a while ago but I had players like Gino Peruzzi, Kurt Zouma, Ezequiel Cirigliano, Pedro(Sampdoria one), Adryan, Alessandro Florenzi, Keisuke Honda, Ademilson, Mattia Destro and mostly regens. I preferred to sign younger players an develop them but there was some amazing players interested in joining me but I always went for the young players with potential.

I've decided to have a crack at a Feyenoord save. It looks interesting: some cracking youngsters, good facilities, a board expectation to develop youth, a chance at the CL in the first season, but not great finances. I'll post my progress as I go.

Fist season is constant struggle. Well, it was at previous update, on 13.3 few players have been boosted so you shouldn't end your first season in the middle of the table as I did. And developing those youngsters is fantastic. Through youth ranks you should get some really good players too.

Fist season is constant struggle. Well, it was at previous update, on 13.3 few players have been boosted so you shouldn't end your first season in the middle of the table as I did. And developing those youngsters is fantastic. Through youth ranks you should get some really good players too.

Cheers for the info. I can see that in the Reserves team there are already a couple of players with 4 1/2 or 5 star potential (I forget their names, a LB and a DC). I think the tricky thing at the moment is settling on a formation that best fits the squad. I'm going to try without wingers with a 4222 Box or a 4312, but I've never really used wingerless formations, so it could be interesting.

Cheers for the info. I can see that in the Reserves team there are already a couple of players with 4 1/2 or 5 star potential (I forget their names, a LB and a DC). I think the tricky thing at the moment is settling on a formation that best fits the squad. I'm going to try without wingers with a 4222 Box or a 4312, but I've never really used wingerless formations, so it could be interesting.

I played 41221 in the first season, then switched to 4231, wanted to make tactical system that would express those youngsters in the future, when they are fully developed, especially Vilhena and Achahbar. And on those two you should concentrate IMO, two top notch talents. I posted screenshot of Achahbar in Cleon's Ajax Development thread. He turned into world class winger/striker, used him as IFa on left wing, trained very differently but that's how he looked at his peak-> http://i46.tinypic.com/vcxfh3.png

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with this club.

I've decided to have a crack at a Feyenoord save. It looks interesting: some cracking youngsters, good facilities, a board expectation to develop youth, a chance at the CL in the first season, but not great finances. I'll post my progress as I go.

Its a good time to start with Feyenoord, Graziano Pelle's had an insane boost, and gone from a pretty terrible striker stats wise to one of the top ones in the Eredivisie! You've also got a nice young starting defence with Martins Indi and that other guy who was captain, forgot his name....I've got an ajax save going at the moment but I'm very tempted to give Feyenoord a go, one of my favourite teams about!

Yeah I stumbled upon Pelle when looking for a Striker in my Villa save and made a mental note to check them out. Then of course I spotted Achahbar, Vilhena, Martins Indi, de Vrij, Clasie, even Boetius to a degree and thought, there's my next save!

For those with the Feyenoord save are you introducing Boetius and Vilhena into your first team straight away? If given games and used correctly they both look like they can be insane. Well both have progressed so much irl that they were called up to the Netherlands squad. Boetius has been upgraded, but he should be a lot faster IMO.

I've updated my DB with the latest Parma transfers, as their assistant manager yesterday confirmed that they're getting Rodrigo Battaglia, Bruno Mendes, Gonzalo Mastriani and Aguilar at the end of the season, all of them are proper wonder kids so I shall definitely be restarting a save with them!

I've got the FM rage but its quite funny, with my Parma save, in my 3rd and 4th games, against Udinese and Fiorentina respectively, they've literally been identical games! I've gone ahead in both around the 30ish minute mark, then exactly on the 78th minute, Udinese equalised, and now with Fiorentina they've got a penalty at exactly the same time to make the game 1-1 too....Quite frustrated, as my team can't seem to score more then 1 goal in a game and they always seem to throw the lead away!

EDIT-Oh no, I spoke too soon, Fiorentina have scored a 2nd a minute later to probably win the game, oh, the joys of FM!

For those with the Feyenoord save are you introducing Boetius and Vilhena into your first team straight away? If given games and used correctly they both look like they can be insane. Well both have progressed so much irl that they were called up to the Netherlands squad. Boetius has been upgraded, but he should be a lot faster IMO.

I introduced both of the them into the team straight away in the first season even if they weren't ready.

I'm in the 3rd season now and both players are progressing well, if anyone wants screenshots, let me know.

My strongest starting lineup in the 3rd season is:

Mulder

Janmaat De Vrij Kongolo Masilela

Clasie

Mokotjo Vilhena

Achahbar Boetius

Schalk

I introduced both of the them into the team straight away in the first season even if they weren't ready.

I'm in the 3rd season now and both players are progressing well, if anyone wants screenshots, let me know.

My strongest starting lineup in the 3rd season is:

Mulder

Janmaat De Vrij Kongolo Masilela

Clasie

Mokotjo Vilhena

Achahbar Boetius

Schalk

Annoying that they have Vilhena listed as a right foot when irl he is left-footed. Do you still have Pelle? Also can i see SS of Boetius and Vilhena please?

Started a save with Udinese and straight from the off I've nabbed Pellissier and Bianchi, both Chievo and Torino's best players :p With Muriel out for 7 months and terrible back up for Di Natalie in Ranegie, I needed reinforcments, and without realising I ended up putting my wage budget £50,000 into the red, but so worth it haha....Although Udinese make money every month so hopefully I'll be sound again soon!

Annoying that they have Vilhena listed as a right foot when irl he is left-footed. Do you still have Pelle? Also can i see SS of Boetius and Vilhena please?

Yea that's definitely annoying.

Yea Pelle has been my top scorer every season so far, with 20, 20 and 15 goals in 19 so far this season. In fact Pelle has started more games than Schalk for me this season.

Here is Boetius: screenshot20130417at125g.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and here is Achahbar: screenshot20130417at125.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Playing with Parma is getting a bit ridiculous now, I've played 8 league games, and I haven't won one of them, losing all of them or the other team equalising in the last 10 mins, and it'll normally only be by 1 goal

Join some of us on a Feyenoord save instead ? :p

Join some of us on a Feyenoord save instead ? :p

Haha, I have given that Parma save up after I got sacked! I am tempted, I do rate the Eredivisie highly, a lot of teams use youth, and Feyenoord are one of the best at that, with the bonus of being in Europe!

• 2 weeks later...

In between jobs now, so I thought of making a new FM save with Stade de Reims. Quite impressed with their performance 1st season back in Ligue 1. I was thinking of Zulte Waregem too but went ahead with Reims instead. Anyone else playing as them by chance?

Anyone here played as Koln? Just started a game with them, I'm liking their setup, literally loads of players in the 1st team squad, a few youngsters so they can be loaned out to cut down the squad, a fair few very promising youths, and in a division which they should get out of pretty easily :)

Udinese is a good game - a bit easy possibly, which is a shame (bar conquering Europe).

A bit of cash, alot of good players though and plenty who are co-owned which will bring in good funds when they get sold ie Handanovic, Asamoah, Isla... and more.

I say easy in the sense that there is plenty of cash and young talent there to take advantage of a few teams being in transition in Italy.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me some advice on playing with Brighton i.e. good players worth signing, positions that are urgently required to be filled etc.

General advice on managing in the Championship would be appreciated at the same time.

Thanks.

I think they have a pretty decent squad. They are set up to play with wingers and in the games I've had in the championship with Derby and Charlton a 433 with wingers has worked really well. I'd say that pace is the key in that league.

Can anyone give me some advice on playing with Brighton i.e. good players worth signing, positions that are urgently required to be filled etc.

General advice on managing in the Championship would be appreciated at the same time.

Thanks.

My main save on fm 13 was with Brighton! As it is everytime I get FM, but that was about 6 months ago now....I'll try and rack my brains! I started playing this time with the demo and was about 10 points clear by the end of December, so fortunately despite struggling in the 2nd half of the season with the first match update I still got promoted in the first season. From there it took me about 3 seasons to be challenging for the Premier League I think.

I'll try and give you a review of the squad from what I remember:

GK:

Kusczcak good enough for the Prem. Brezovan/Ankergren, ok championship back-up but need replacing when promoted.

Centre-backs:

Lewis Dunk is a hidden gem, he's nothing special but can develop into a very solid Premier League defender & went on to play 40 odd games for England.

Greer is also good enough for lower Prem level/back-up.

El-Abd is Championship back-up at best.

I ended up signing Chris Smalling to accompany Lewis Dunk for a few years, I forget who else!

Full-backs:

RB: Bruno is solid for a couple of years, Calderon is disappointingly average but ok back-up. You're best off looking for young potential here as it's not a position that immediately needs addressing.

LB: Bridge is fantastic for Championship but I can't remember if it's possible to sign him after this...I think I may have loaned him again. Again look for young potential in this position.

Midfield:

DM: Bridcutt has great Premier League potential, resist the temptation to sell him even if you get big offers.

CM: Hammond is slow, I'm not a fan. Crofts is decent though, scored lots of goals in the Championship for me though not really Premier League standard.

AM/WINGERS: Some real talent here! Vicente is still a great player, you may get tired of his injuries but I think he's worth the risk. Orlandi is fairly similar to Vicente, not quite as good but not quite as injury prone. Personally I found these two most effective as AP in CM or AM rather than on the wing. They don't have great pace but due to their passing, creativity, close control, long shots etc they are great in the middle. Both were a key part of my team in the Premier League for a couple of seasons before they started to decline as players in their 30s.

The third Spaniard David Lopez is more of a wide player than the other two. I ended up selling him fairly early on before his value declined because Will Buckley was outperforming him.

Buckley's a definite RW, his pace and dribbling make him a real handful in the Championship and he can also be useful in the Premier League especially as a sub.

Lua Lua was a big disappointment for me, and I ended up selling him really cheap after 2/3 seasons because no one wanted him. He showed signs of potential in the Championship but didn't push on. However I'd give him a chance and see how he does.

Forwards:

I didn't have Ulloa on my save as he joined in January, I'm sure I signed a ST for my first season but can't remember for the life of me who it was! But as you have Ulloa you don't have the same problem.

Mackail Smith is a useful player with his work-rate but he was only ever a sub for me.

Barnes is a bit of a hidden gem, he's very good in the air & should actually develop into a decent Premier League standard striker like he did on my game. I used him as back-up for a few seasons before selling him for around 6m but he went on to score around 15 goals a season for a Prem AI team in his late twenties.

Other players:

Forster-Caskey is one to look out for and will be worth a few million even if he doesn't make you're team. None of the other youth team players did particularly well for me.

I used to play a team something like this in the Championship with Vicente LAM & Buckley RW:

-----------------ST

-------Vicente--Orlandi--------Buckley

----------Bridcutt---Crofts

Bridge-----Greer------Dunk----Bruno

-----------------Kuz

And for away games, very narrow 4-1-2-2-1 with short/medium passing:

-----------------ST

----------Vicente---Buckley

-----------Orlandi---Crofts

---------------Bridcutt

Bridge-----Greer------Dunk----Bruno

-----------------Kuz

Eventually I managed to sign Mata, Kagawa, Gotze & Hazard on that save..there's a lot of potential for success.

Just used the 'pick a team for me' to get me started on a new save, and have ended up with Danish 2nd division East side Helsingor. Has been pretty fun so far, was quite happy to recognise a player in the squad, Lasse Qvist, a striker I used to sign on an FM years ago. Doesn't look like he'll be playing for a while though, out for 12 months with knee ligament damage. Squad was tiny, so had to bring in some amateurs, and a few guys on part-time contracts, but the squad seems pretty strong now after boosting the keeper, centre backs, and strikers. The season has started brightly too. Been very good on the counter attack, and are scoring lots of goals, scoring 9 in 3, picking up 2 wins and a draw. Hopefully I'll stick with this, and eventually manage to make Helsingor one of the stronger sides in Denmark. Would love to get them into the Champions League!

I'm currently in a similar situation to you "danm2501", I've just started in the Swedish 2nd Division with Orgryte. They won 10 out of the first 14 Swedish championship in the late 1800/ early 1900's, and finished 2nd twice during that period. However, they've only won one title since 1928, I thought it'd be a good challenge to try to get them back on top in Sweden after so long.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, after a long albeit involuntary FM hiatus, I've started a career with Leyton Orient. After my first season, I have unexpectedly been promoted via the play offs and at a loss at how to approach the new campaign. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions

Hi guys, after a long albeit involuntary FM hiatus, I've started a career with Leyton Orient. After my first season, I have unexpectedly been promoted via the play offs and at a loss at how to approach the new campaign. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions

Hi there, would love to help but kinda require some specifics on what exactly do you need.

I've never managed in Belgium before and wanted a short break from my Crewe adventure, so decided to take a crack at it. I was tempted by Club Brugge but instead took on the job at 2nd tier Westerlo who are predicted to finish 3rd.

Although there was no transfer budget, I have assembled a strong first season squad without spending a penny, courtesy of a couple of free transfers and lots of non-contributory loans for young Belgians from the big clubs (no limit on loans here). I managed to sell one of our 'keepers for £45k but can't shift on any of the other over 30's that could demand a fee. I don't need any more players for this season and I'm within wage budget, but would love to boost the coffers so I have demoted these six or seven older pros to the U21 team (no reserves) and keep offering them out. Next season I hope we will have a modest transfer budget as lots of these loans will have to return to parent clubs.

An impressive pre-season has now been completed including a draw against a strong Schalke first team, and we won our opening league match 3-0 away, with a brace from free transfer signing Devon Hodges (27 year old ex-Jamaican international striker). Apart from him and a couple of loanee strikers, the rest of our squad is Belgian.

I expect promotion and hopefully can get this club in to the Europa league after a few seasons.

Is anybody else playing (or has played) lower leagues in Belgium?

Tactics mainly. I just want to consolidate my position in the league due to my small budget and my board's unwillingness to give me a parent club. I played a standard 4-4-2 in League 1 and though goal scoring wasn't a problem, I always seemed to squander leads in the last 10 minutes even when I changed strategy. Cheers

That's a decent achievement taking Leyton Orient up at the first attempt. I'd love to hear more about your players, signings etc in season 1. Also it might shed some light on why Eliiot Omozusi was unavailable for a year when I took him on loan to Crewe. I found that a back three and wing back's worked well when I was managing Bournemouth but it depends on the players you have to some extent. You need to utilise your team's strengths and best players so a formation and tactics should be in conjunction with that. Maybe rigid, counter attacking might suit you best in the second tier if you feel that playing more expansive will put you under the cosh alot?

The main problem with Orient's squad is depth, especially when it comes to their FBs. (Omozusi had a brief custodial sentence in 2012 which is why he is deemed as unavailable until mid/late january, which is when he re-joined the club) Due to my lack of experience in playing FM at this level, I only brought in a few players to supplement the squad in the summer. I signed Lee Johnson on a free and loaned Jack Grimmer, Mikkel Andersen and Nicholas Bignall. My form was inconsistent to say the least for the first half of the season, with my league position fluctuating between 9th-16th on a weekly basis and I was swiftly eliminated from all cup competitions. However in January, the loan signing of Fréderic Piquionne proved to be a master stroke as he hit several last minute winners and I sneaked in to the play-offs on the last day of the season. I was able to cruise past Coventry and Brentford in the semis and final respectively and I'm now planning for the season ahead.

Thanks, that clears up why I wasted £8k p/m on a loan deal for Omozusi - it never ever gave a reason why he was unavailable and I wasn't able to terminate his loan. I wouldn't have even looked at him knowing that had happened in real life.

I know Andersen from Reading, and he is a superb loan 'keeper. A must-have for me in season 1 of any club at that level (I even took him to Copenhagen and he was first choice). Unfortunately he never seems interested in a loan or permanent transfer after that first season. If you're just attempting to avoid relegation, you can go one of two ways: either with a solid spine (GK, CB, CM) and rigid, counter-attack style...or a gung-ho approach where you hope to entertain. If you can score enough to unsettle the opposition that might be your best approach to survive, but it's a gamble and depends on your firepower for that level. If you don't have top quality forwards, a more cautious approach is likely to serve you better - especially as it sounds like you over-achieved there a little with that strong finish.

As for signings, I am sure your board don't give you much (or anything) so loanees and the odd free transfer will have to help boost your numbers. It might be a season of struggle but hopefully you can retain your status.

You're right regarding Andersen, neither he or Reading are interested in a loan. I'm attempting to beef up my defence with a couple of CBs and hopefully some WBs to attempt the changes you suggested. I've been a bit of a wally also and left myself without an assistant manager which has left me without any pre-arranged friendlies to generate some much needed revenue.

Yeah it's a shame about Andersen (IRL he has just been loaned to Randers in Denmark so won't be available in FM14).

Is it too late to arrange some friendies yourself? If you need an Assistant Manager - it's by no means an extensive list but you could have a look at David Byrne, Brian Horton, Terry McPhillips, Luther Blissett, Andy Crosby.

For WB/CB positions, you could see if Chris Hegarty (Rangers), Jack King (Preston - can play CB/CM), Charlie Daniels (Bournemouth), Shaun Cummings/Nick Arnold (Reading), Teddy Mezague (Montpellier Res), Adam Smith/Danny Rose (Tottenham), Michael Keane (Man Utd) are available and meet your needs.

If you need a better GK, Mark Bunn (Norwich), Sam Johnstone (Man Utd) are worth a look - on loan or permanently. There is also an English keeper at Belenenses in Portugal that you may be able to look at. Do you have any transfer kitty?

Archived