FM13: The Bender Twins - "Bite my efficient German ass."

Ricky Button

bender_flexo.jpg

Errr, okay, so not those two!

FM13: LARS AND SVEN BENDER

bender_lars_sven_zweikampf3.jpg

Lars and Sven Bender, German twins, combative midfielders.

Well then, I've never seen a player thread for two players at the same time so hopefully this is alright. Lars and Sven Bender both start at German Bundesliga clubs Bayer Leverkusenand Borussia Dortmund respectively. Both are remarkably good at what they do - being a top class defensive midfielder. Both of these players have very high attributes for the role Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend and have consistently put in brilliant performances for my Manchester United side.

benders.png

Lars, top. Sven, bottom.

Sven:

:
150, 157

Lars:

:
153, 163

For me, Lars slightly edges it as a player, purely down to his superior physical stats. There isn't much between the two, but that extra pace has seen him in my side more often than Sven, but when the big games come around both of them sit in the middle of the park and break up anything that comes at them.

benders2.png

My preferred 4-2-3-1 formation. They're so similar even their avg. rating is the same.

As one can probably expect, the fact that the twins are so good means that their transfer fees will not be cheap. I signed Lars in the first January transfer window for a pricey £17.75m and Sven came in the summer transfer window after that for £15m. With the Bender's being relatively young players as well, the potential for them to be a part of the first team for many years to come justifies those transfer fees.

Has anybody else signed one, or both of this dynamic duo and how has your experience with them been?

Against the big teams that I expect to trouble me for possession, it works great. They break up any midfield attacks pretty quickly and, well, get the ball back in my possession, as their role dictates.

The majority of the time for me, they share the defensive position and Cleverley is sat next to them as a deep-laying playmaker. Sven's taking a little time to gel with the squad, but he hasn't had any real stinkers and has been quite consistent.

I think the price tag comes purely from Lars being in my team for longer and getting more games, builds his reputation better than Sven's I am guessing. I've not looked into the PA of either player but wouldn't be against putting them in the OP if someone would like to get that information.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have Sven in my team - he was at Spurs and was transfer listed, so I initially got him in on loan for half a season owing to stinginess (had already had a fair transfer outlay for the season). He was majestic and luckily, he went back on the transfer list in the summer and I snapped him up for 12.5m.

In his first full season he played as a BWM(d) and averaged around 7.5 for the season. This season, I'm playing him either as a DM(s) or A(d), depending on the game. He's an absolutely vital cog in the team. So much love.

I actually retrained Lars as a centre back for my Bayern team, and he put in a very tidy shift, however I've reverted to using him as a Anchor man and he's performing amazingly! I taught him to play simple passes and he's become key to my quick transitions.

both expensive, but both have perfect stats, but a low CA imo for how good they are. but i discovered n this FM, it aint always about the PA/CA.

EG. i had Wanyama for my man utd side and he played nothing less than a 7.5 as a BWM-D. I know he has a low PA, but has awesome stats

I have Sven in a DM Anchor Role for Arsenal (or I did before a crash dump just now). He is the most unspectacular player I have ever signed but my god is he consistent! He was to me what Makelele was to Madrid

• 1 month later...

I bought Lars in my 1st season at Liverpool - he was listed by request - got for 11m

He has been with me 3.5 seasons now and he is my new club captain after Gerrard retired - He has not put a foot wrong in 3 years and gets Fans player of the year every season.

Regular for Germany and worth about 35m now!!

Totenham has Sven in my game but they only just got him - so will see how he does

G

Archived