*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

If you go back and play the very early games like CM2 you can see that the logic behind the tactical engine is very precise.

More precise and logical or more simplified with more obvious causes and effects?

I do think many people are getting frustrated by tactics they think should work without thinking about other mitigating factors and influences between their own players' roles and the opposition's tactics.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The AI in PES is extremely good.

The Barcelona v Real game plays just like a real game albeit speeded up.

You don't see that in the FM engine.

That's your opinion. It's wrong though. You are being seduced by the graphics and not watching the patterns of play. They look nothing like a real football match.

How on earth can you say the tactical logic is right in a game that doesn't have any kind of visual match engine?

You can tell what is happening in the engine using the commentary and it generates what you would expect given the relative strengths of teams and tactics used.

That's your opinion. It's wrong though. You are being seduced by the graphics and not watching the patterns of play. They look nothing like a real football match.

Dots on a screen do not resemble a football match and neither do glitchy animations and wayward 1980s style 3d matches with mad players and odd physics.

PES resembles a football match- listen to the commentary on the following - http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=qx6ddLq8zbU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dqx6ddLq8zbU

Dots on a screen do not resemble a football match and neither do glitchy animations and wayward 1980s style 3d matches with mad players and odd physics.

PES resembles a football match- listen to the commentary on the following - http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=qx6ddLq8zbU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dqx6ddLq8zbU

It's too fast, too back-and-forth, and the players look to big for the pitch.

I cant believe we've had two pages of someone trying to claim PES simulates a more realistic game of football. The GD forum never ceases to amaze!

I gave up on PES and FIFA years ago, they were terrible and had nothing to do with football, except for the fact you had 11 players on each side and a football. Yes they looked nice, and you could just about make out Henry's face if you were prepared to risk square eyes, but after that it was pointless really. Have you ever watched an AI vs AI game on PES or FIFA, its absolutely laughable.

I've been asked to move this post to the feedback thread, although looking through this thread it would appear it's going to be next to useless doing so, but here goes...

I've played CM/FM since the amiga days, and i am quite happy to admit that sometimes i am crap, other times i am successful, so this isn't a rant at the game being hard.

I'm in my second season with Rotherham. Took them up in 3rd in first season and in mid table second season, so doing ok, but i have noticed major annoyances which are beginning to ruin my game.

Players unable to tackle.

All my players seem to do is run up to the opposition, then dance around them a little bit. The opposition appear to be able to take the ball off me with ease, but i hardly ever see any of my players making any kind of tackle.

I've tried pressing more, more aggressive tackling, hassling, get stuck in. Nothing makes any difference, all they do is just shimmy round the opposition, who then ping the ball off with unbelievable precision to one of their team mates.

Half my throw ins go straight to opposition.

I know i am only in league 1, and the players aren't great, but why the hell are they unable to throw the ball to a team mate. The amount of times they throw the ball straight to the opposition is incredible! This hardly ever happens in real life, so why is it playing such a large part in my game?

It's not even that the ball is thrown to my player and the opposition intercepts it, it just literally gets thrown straight to them!

Bizarre player movement.

I don't think i have ever seen anyone in real life run up to a player who has the ball, then run backwards 10 foot, then just stand there quivering. Nor have i ever seen a real footballer stand still and watch a ball sit motionless a few feet away while an opposing player runs 30 feet to reach it. And i have definitely never seen 2 players stood together waiting for the ball to drop out of the air, only for one player to suddenly slide backwards about 10 foot behind the other player. Also, why do my defenders think it's a good idea to slow down or stop for a split second, giving the striker they are running with just enough time to get in front of them?

I have only spent 1 and a half seasons on this game, yet i am seeing obvious faults in virtually every match. These faults and others are now ruining my game as it seems no matter how long i spend trying to correct issues with my team, there is a stupid match engine flaw that is just waiting to ruin all my hard work.

If someone can point me to magical sliders that controls whether or not my players make tackles, whether they throw the ball to a team mate, or whether players obey the laws of physics then please do so, as i am about to go mad.

I find it too hard to attract players of a suitable standard. Obviously there are the ones listed on this forum in the numerous threads, but many players only go for unreasonable amounts. After i filter out unrealistic targets (for a number of clubs I have managed e.g. Norwich, Swansea, West Brom), there aren't any decent players listed; and if the are they're either rubbish or way over-priced.

Anyone agree that players are either a) valued at too much in the first place or b) clubs want too much for them

I understand that key players will only go for large amounts but there's hardly any players in the Prem that go for £5m or under imo.

Loan list is the transfer list as well. Surely it should contain a few players that aren't up for being sold as well??

Still think its a bit weird that its so hard to see how well U19 and Reserve players are playing in their teams now that the stats shown at Selection Info are only First-Team based. Would prefer this to change back how it used to be (in other words, in the Selection Info screen of the team they play in, have those match stats shown just as in every previous CM/FM, so at u19 squad show their u19 match stats, goals, apps, av rating).

There is the option to add Youth Apps / Youth Goals to the screen (not Av Rating...), but then u would see that at every squad (and there isnt the option to add Reserves stats).

I find it too hard to attract players of a suitable standard. Obviously there are the ones listed on this forum in the numerous threads, but many players only go for unreasonable amounts. After i filter out unrealistic targets (for a number of clubs I have managed e.g. Norwich, Swansea, West Brom), there aren't any decent players listed; and if the are they're either rubbish or way over-priced.

Anyone agree that players are either a) valued at too much in the first place or b) clubs want too much for them

I understand that key players will only go for large amounts but there's hardly any players in the Prem that go for £5m or under imo.

Loan list is the transfer list as well. Surely it should contain a few players that aren't up for being sold as well??

I do think the transfer fees are exaggerated a bit, teams asking 8 figure fees for players valued at less than 1m is a bit much, even if you take into consideration the whole don't want to sell thing, even from smaller leagues, the demands are often just too high. For example you won't really see teams paying 12-17m for young unproven players from Bulgaria or Greece as it has happened in my current save, they actually got that money, but not from me. :lol:

I have to say I really miss the 'overview' screen during the match. It was the simplest way to go through a match. If I wanted to check details I did, if I didn't want, I didn't.

I think SI made a mistake in changing a thing that was never contested in over a decade of the game.

I have to say I really miss the 'overview' screen during the match. It was the simplest way to go through a match. If I wanted to check details I did, if I didn't want, I didn't.

I think SI made a mistake in changing a thing that was never contested in over a decade of the game.

It wasn't a deliberate change, it was an unintended knock on effect of making a change elsewhere in the game that happened tool late in the development of the game to repair before release.

I've been asked to move this post to the feedback thread, although looking through this thread it would appear it's going to be next to useless doing so, but here goes...

I've played CM/FM since the amiga days, and i am quite happy to admit that sometimes i am crap, other times i am successful, so this isn't a rant at the game being hard.

I'm in my second season with Rotherham. Took them up in 3rd in first season and in mid table second season, so doing ok, but i have noticed major annoyances which are beginning to ruin my game.

Players unable to tackle.

All my players seem to do is run up to the opposition, then dance around them a little bit. The opposition appear to be able to take the ball off me with ease, but i hardly ever see any of my players making any kind of tackle.

I've tried pressing more, more aggressive tackling, hassling, get stuck in. Nothing makes any difference, all they do is just shimmy round the opposition, who then ping the ball off with unbelievable precision to one of their team mates.

Half my throw ins go straight to opposition.

I know i am only in league 1, and the players aren't great, but why the hell are they unable to throw the ball to a team mate. The amount of times they throw the ball straight to the opposition is incredible! This hardly ever happens in real life, so why is it playing such a large part in my game?

It's not even that the ball is thrown to my player and the opposition intercepts it, it just literally gets thrown straight to them!

Bizarre player movement.

I don't think i have ever seen anyone in real life run up to a player who has the ball, then run backwards 10 foot, then just stand there quivering. Nor have i ever seen a real footballer stand still and watch a ball sit motionless a few feet away while an opposing player runs 30 feet to reach it. And i have definitely never seen 2 players stood together waiting for the ball to drop out of the air, only for one player to suddenly slide backwards about 10 foot behind the other player. Also, why do my defenders think it's a good idea to slow down or stop for a split second, giving the striker they are running with just enough time to get in front of them?

I have only spent 1 and a half seasons on this game, yet i am seeing obvious faults in virtually every match. These faults and others are now ruining my game as it seems no matter how long i spend trying to correct issues with my team, there is a stupid match engine flaw that is just waiting to ruin all my hard work.

If someone can point me to magical sliders that controls whether or not my players make tackles, whether they throw the ball to a team mate, or whether players obey the laws of physics then please do so, as i am about to go mad.

I agree with this post completely. I've played every version right from the start too and I've never felt as frustrated as I have with this one. All of the above points happen and there's this general feeling of helplessness because it really cannot be tactics preventing your players from looking at the ball or just throwing it straight to the opposition.

The whole ME is starting to feel really samey with each and every match. It's the same patterns repeating over and over with wingers running along the byline before shooting from impossible angles, or midfielders dropping right on top of the defenders instead of pressing higher up and leaving the opposition to pass it around in the box with little pressure.

This is the first version of the game that I'm seriously thinking about not playing until it's patched properly, because I'm finding it incredibly tedious, watching the same problems with the ME every single match.

Just for everyone posting, if the opposition tackle and your players don't then it is NOT the Match Engine, the Match Engine does not differentiate between Human teams and AI teams, so if you are having issues, but the opposition are not it has to be tactic related.

Yes there are issues in the Match Engine, and even SI admit this, but if something is happening for you, but not for the AI team it is tactic related.

I would suggest heading over to the Tactic Forum and posting asking for some help, I am not a tactical genius by any stretch of the imagination, so I cannot tell you what is wrong, but I know that there are guys in the Tactics Forum who can help.

Just for everyone posting, if the opposition tackle and your players don't then it is NOT the Match Engine, the Match Engine does not differentiate between Human teams and AI teams, so if you are having issues, but the opposition are not it has to be tactic related.

Yes there are issues in the Match Engine, and even SI admit this, but if something is happening for you, but not for the AI team it is tactic related.

I would suggest heading over to the Tactic Forum and posting asking for some help, I am not a tactical genius by any stretch of the imagination, so I cannot tell you what is wrong, but I know that there are guys in the Tactics Forum who can help.

The frustrating thing is, a lot of posts I've read from wwfan in this thread centre around using real life football logic.

That's fine. To me, things such as setting your team to press often, setting your midfielders to close down often, using the 'hassle opponents' shout, using a ball-winning midfielder etc, would all contribute to looking to close down opponents. But they still just stand around and keep their distance, as the tiki-taka stuff continues. This is very, very frustrating.

Obviously if the computer can do something then it's a tactical issue, not a game one. But it just doesn't seem logical at times.

That's good. It's a shame as I've noticed so many little improvements in the match engine as a whole and a genuinely think it is light years ahead of FM12's engine, but as someone who likes to play a high line/high pressing style, it's affecting my immersion.

I do however remember a version (may have been FM10) where there was a similar issue with closing down, and that was fixed with the next match engine update. I'm sure this will be the same.

Oh there is no doubt that it is light years ahead of FM12, love some of the stuff throughout just incredible. Love seeing some of the Keeper saves now, best one lately was him diving across, realising he had gone too far and throwing his right hand up for the save.

And my players finally close down the Keeper...something I have been trying to get for about 3 FMs now, finally my striker will charge the keeper when he has the ball at his feet.

After reading virtually every post on this thread, I find it a little annoying that WWfan is sitting here telling us its our tactics and not the ME. And then you go on to say that yes there are a few drawbacks such as lack of defending and pressing etc.

WWfan: Did you not realise that 99% of the glitches are from lack of defending and pressing?? Not having a go at you or anything mate.

In saying that, excited about the future ME as I believe, despite all the negativity, this ME will be miles better than any previous ME we have ever seen

Rant over

Two things i do miss from both fm12 and fm13 is the direct player instructions when clicking on them on the tactic's screen, aswell as the direct team instructions when clicking on the pitch. Fm11 had it, and they removed it for some reason

Not sure I like 2013, seems that unless you are addressing 'every' aspect for the player and reading all the advice that is poping up at you during the game you will lose. Actually currently managing Arsenal and have not won a game yet. Seems my players can't pass, dribble, shoot, not to mention they have confidence issues, lanuage barrier problems, fitness well and I could go on and on. Actually no fun getting beat game in game out and advice from the Ass Manager seems to make it worse.

Two things i do miss from both fm12 and fm13 is the direct player instructions when clicking on them on the tactic's screen, aswell as the direct team instructions when clicking on the pitch. Fm11 had it, and they removed it for some reason

Exactly that! It's so cumbersome having to switch to another tab to change individual tactics when you could just click on a player on the main tactical screen in FM11 and have the instructions pop up. Two years on and I'm still clicking on the player shirt icons on the main screen before realizing it doesn't work so it's obviously not just a matter of getting used to the new way. Why did this have to be changed I'll never understand.

There are still too may issues to count like board promises that are once again broken after being fixed by a previous update. For me on match day, only one team talk works (being relax etc) anything else and they get spanked by far inferior teams.

Again this post will not be noticed and if WWfan see's it it will be my tactics i'm sure. On the positive side i'm not seeing as much comedy behavior from my keeper and my manager reputation has improved but there are still huge hangups from losing a previous game even against a superior champions league side that seems to make your players but the wrong boots on the wrong feet.

On a side note, it is not wise to argue with WWFan too much because he's a moderator and you will get an infraction especially if other people agree with you.

Exactly that! It's so cumbersome having to switch to another tab to change individual tactics when you could just click on a player on the main tactical screen in FM11 and have the instructions pop up. Two years on and I'm still clicking on the player shirt icons on the main screen before realizing it doesn't work so it's obviously not just a matter of getting used to the new way. Why did this have to be changed I'll never understand.

I want to agree with you two. I find this to be really inconvenient.

There are still too may issues to count like board promises that are once again broken after being fixed by a previous update. For me on match day, only one team talk works (being relax etc) anything else and they get spanked by far inferior teams.

Again this post will not be noticed and if WWfan see's it it will be my tactics i'm sure. On the positive side i'm not seeing as much comedy behavior from my keeper and my manager reputation has improved but there are still huge hangups from losing a previous game even against a superior champions league side that seems to make your players but the wrong boots on the wrong feet.

On a side note, it is not wise to argue with WWFan too much because he's a moderator and you will get an infraction especially if other people agree with you.

On the contrary, SI read this thread avidly I assure you. And they, like the moderators, will take on any constructive feedback given, even if it's in contrast to their own views. It's the inane drivel and bickering that people aren't liking, such as the 2 pages of PES arguments.....

That's good. It's a shame as I've noticed so many little improvements in the match engine as a whole and a genuinely think it is light years ahead of FM12's engine, but as someone who likes to play a high line/high pressing style, it's affecting my immersion.

I do however remember a version (may have been FM10) where there was a similar issue with closing down, and that was fixed with the next match engine update. I'm sure this will be the same.

Not sure what your doing C&C, I play high line/pressing at home and a deeper line/counter attack/pressing, away, and that's with BSQ South players (The mighty Farnborough).

They press the whole game front to back, get the tackles in, win the ball, and generally get stuck in, even play some nice football from time to time :)

Comparing my stats with the AI, after 24 games of the season (I have played 21 due to a waterlogged pitch) so far the AI has averaged between 600 at the low end and 900 at the high end tackles per a game, I have 676 tackles per a game having played 3 games less. so that puts me middle of the pack, which looks about right, especially as it took a while for the team as a whole to buy into my tactics and gel, only in the last 10 matches have they really believe in this Sunday League Manager, who came from obscurity to manage every aspect of their life. Also I tend to prefer, away from home, to keep the back line solid and not press so much from the FB position, I leave it to my Midfield.

Now, there is a known issue that PaulC and all of the mods have acknowledged (many times) that teams stop pressing so much in the final third, which probably costs me some tackles,but even then, when its prudent, by DC's will step up, challenge a ball carrier win the ball (hopefully) and distribute/hoof away.

I use classic tactics, modified from my previously successful FM12 tactics that did not work in FM13, I find the ME to be already light years ahead of any previous version, and once the many issues that PaulC and his team are working on are hopefully squashed, it can only get better (in an ideal world) :)

This thread is like watching a car crash at times, and its no wonder that SI staff are appearing less and less, attempt some actual real life tactics, give your team time to buy into your system, don't buy 20 new players and cry when they act like strangers on the pitch, it doesn't work (I know, I support QPR) :)

P.S.

Last point not aimed at you C&C, just general "good practice"

Whats the Board Promises issue?

They press the whole game front to back, get the tackles in, win the ball, and generally get stuck in, even play some nice football from time to time :)

Well for me that part is pretty much the biggest issue. My first demo test save was with Man Utd, set up a tactic that made sense for them and played the way I'd like to get teams like Utd to play - short, creative, fluid, plenty of roaming etc. Worked really well. Then started another test save with Havant & Waterlooville in the BSS and did the same for them - basically created a direct, disciplined, rigid 442 and the result was every opposing team tikitaka-ing me into oblivion. Then brought over my Utd tactic without changing a thing and voila, now it's my team one touch passing it around like there is no tomorrow and beating everybody. The problem I have with that is that I really don't think a team with an average passing attribute of 7.28 should be able to consistently employ tactics like this.

On the contrary, SI read this thread avidly I assure you. And they, like the moderators, will take on any constructive feedback given, even if it's in contrast to their own views. It's the inane drivel and bickering that people aren't liking, such as the 2 pages of PES arguments.....

Touched a nerve it seems...

Well for me that part is pretty much the biggest issue. My first demo test save was with Man Utd, set up a tactic that made sense for them and played the way I'd like to get teams like Utd to play - short, creative, fluid, plenty of roaming etc. Worked really well. Then started another test save with Havant & Waterlooville in the BSS and did the same for them - basically created a direct, disciplined, rigid 442 and the result was every opposing team tikitaka-ing me into oblivion. Then brought over my Utd tactic without changing a thing and voila, now it's my team one touch passing it around like there is no tomorrow and beating everybody. The problem I have with that is that I really don't think a team with an average passing attribute of 7.28 should be able to consistently employ tactics like this.

Which the SI team have acknowledged, and are hoping to Address, its an issue of weaker players not choosing a direct option soon enough, and a lack of pressing in the final third accordingto the last update I read.

But even as it stands I have been able to disrupt the passing somewhat, but only once my team had gelled and they started to believe in the system

Touched a nerve it seems...

Nooo not at all! Just didn't want you thinking that no-one was listening! :thup:

Unless you mean the PES stuff, then yes, it's hard for anyone to get to the actual useful constructive feedback through all the arguing and bickering...which ironically, will mean less will be fixed and the same people will be back no to moan more.

Watch the first goal....Look how the defender tightly marks him then just backs off...Looks like FM to me :p.

http://www.trilulilu.ro/video-sport/l3-0p-www-fasthighlights-com

Heh, I sometimes wonder if people making the more ill informed comments in this and other threads, actually watch anything more than MotD and come straight from Fifa 13.

That's a great example of a player making a mistake, it happens all game, every game IRL.

In the last round of Champions league games (the supposed elite) we saw a comedy GK at Chelsea, and Celtic's epic win, despite having 3 shots and 16.4% possession, and countless other episodes of players totally ignoring the instructions the manager insists they follow.

Here's a great tactical article on Celtics win BTW

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/11/08/celtic-2-1-barcelona-a-famous-victory/

Apperantly I'm a tactical genius.

tacticalgenius.jpg

The funny thing is non of my own tactics worked so I used TC tactics with almost no tweaks. :lol:

So that title should probably go to wwfan or who ever made those TC tactics. :thup:

Well, it was a tactical move to nick someone else's tactics, but you are sunning yourself in the glow of a real genius ;)

But its a results based business, so by fair means or foul.....

Nooo not at all! Just didn't want you thinking that no-one was listening! :thup:

Unless you mean the PES stuff, then yes, it's hard for anyone to get to the actual useful constructive feedback through all the arguing and bickering...which ironically, will mean less will be fixed and the same people will be back no to moan more.

I think the match engine in PES is light years ahead of FM.

Can you really dispute that?

Surely that sort of engine would help this game?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=C7B8KFztBOY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DC7B8KFztBOY

Surely that sort of engine would help this game?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=C7B8KFztBOY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DC7B8KFztBOY

Again, are we talking the match engine, the graphics or what?

This looks far too fast, dribbly and arcadey and nothing like a real football match - fun sure but not at all realistic.

If Alonso did in FM what he does at 02:27 to set up Benezema, the bugs forum would be full of complaints about poor closing down, tackling and defending.

These PES and FIFA engines are far too bitty and incoherent for FM - great for players to act as the hero protagonists, controlling specific footballers and drag the reactive AI along with them but terrible for simulating a realistic game.

FM isn't perfect in this respect either, but their approach is far more in line with what happens in reality than the examples you keep posting.

To the people saying the lack of tackling is a "tactics" issue rather than a match engine issue, have you ever actually watched a football match in your life???

Why on earth would a tactic scenario even exist that tells your players to slide around the opposition player once they get to them, and under no circumstances attempt to tackle them? If it is even possible to create this kind of tactic then that in its self is a major flaw as NO MANAGER IN THE WORLD would ever instruct all of their players to dance around the opposition.

And i suppose the fact that my players often run past the ball when chasing it, stand ten foot behind an opponent when waiting for a header from a goal kick, or run to where the oncoming opponent was rather than where he is going is all my tactics too? If so then there must be a set of sliders that i am yet to discover!

Same old question really - why the hell wasn't this sort of thing spotted in testing? I've only played it for a few days and the problems are obvious and plentiful.

One thing that has annoyed me for years is that you are unable to tell the game that you know a language without having a first/second nationality that speaks that language. I mean, it's not a big problem to set my second nationality as American when I'm managing an English side, but I feel it would be more immersive if you could just put an extra language at the start of the game...

Yes I can. Watch AI play AI for 90 minutes in PES and report back with statistics. PES is a fun arcade game but it plays nothing like real football. Its AI is purely designed to challenge user controlled teams in 8 minute matches. It can't simulate a full football match. Besides, it has no midfield play, it's moves about twice as fast as real football and the players are deliberately oversized to make it more compact. Please stop with this argument.

Archived