*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

This thread has been so useful, a big thanks to wwfan for his tactical inputs, has really helped me enjoy the game a lot more and actually made me create my own tactics - which Im having greats results with, rather than having to rely on downloaded ones.

Another big thanks goes to the devs who interact with people on these boards and for the updates you are providing. Its not just the work you do, your passion for the series is why the series is the number one in its genre and why IMO gets better each and every year.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
Not according to Miles, that's why there's FMC.

That's some of the guys, not all of the guys. Just in my 'home' save I've clocked up over 134 hours of FM time. And no, I don't get paid overtime for that :D:(

This thread has been so useful, a big thanks to wwfan for his tactical inputs, has really helped me enjoy the game a lot more and actually made me create my own tactics - which Im having greats results with, rather than having to rely on downloaded ones.

Another big thanks goes to the devs who interact with people on these boards and for the updates you are providing. Its not just the work you do, your passion for the series is why the series is the number one in its genre and why IMO gets better each and every year.

Too bloody right mate! Well said!

Its the same all over the software industry, errors are never admitted until a new version is out a year or more later.

2011: FM 2012 is the most realistic game ever, players behave like they do in real life.brag brag brag. Nothing is wrong with the game.

2012: We had to change things coz FM2012 simply was't relistic, players didn't react realistic. trash trash trash. But this year it's all good.

2013: Fm 13 simply didn't live up to our standards, but we have fixed it, FM 14 is perfect..

2014: rinse and repeat.

It's like this all over the gaming industry, and it will probably never change.

PS: I just used FM as an example, and ofcoz I exagurrated to get my point out.

I'm sure with a few updates FM 13 will become excellent, we just have to wait and enjoy the game as best we can at the moment. They do listen to us even though they act like they don't in forum replies.

I don't see any exaggeration there. :D (Although you obviously meant FM2011)

Help! Need some advice...

My director of football does nothing when the transfer window shuts? I have money available so put a few young players I wanted in the transfer target list. He didn't negotiate with one of them. I put a player in the unwanted list in mid dec to start getting rid of the under performing players and to raise money and nothing happens? I checked the option on staff preferences and I have ticked the boxes for the D of F to sign/sell first team and youth players? He did everything I wanted during the summer but as soon as the window shuts I think he is on a beach somewhere? Surely he should be just as active all year round as soon as I put a player in one of the lists?

FM13 is an excellent game, the best of series.

But still expecting to see players more close up.

Is it a licence problem ?

Will it be possible for future ( near ) to be able to see players like IRL TV.

I'm fairly sure it's been confirmed previously that it's due to licensing that this cannot be done currently. Damn EA have the licenses to everything :(

• Administrators
Hello friends, this update today (13.1.2) I improve the speed of the game? with processing days pass fm 2013?

The Neil told me yesterday that it had improved and tavam testing before releasing to users.

That fix has not been included yet and needs more testing I'm afraid.

Afraid so,

My friends don't know.

I am happily single with a grown up daughter and much prefer to play FM than watch TV etc

lots of late nights early mornings sessions between work

On FM12 I would get through 1 season every 3 weeks although on this version looks like 1 season per month.

It's great that a hotfix has come out but what a hassle it was to get the game going. I play in offline mode so i went online to get the game updated, once updated went to my usual offline mode, tried booting the game up but it wouldn't let me start, didn't realize the hotfix would need installing, so back online i go, load the game up, quit the game, restart in offline mode, then play the game.

Oh the joy of offline/online scenario is so much fun :D loving the game though so just having a whinge

Anyone else tired of disallowed goals when players are challenging the keeper? I'm getting 1 or 2 every game! It's getting as predictable as when there was a slight delay in the flashing bar at the bottom to indicate a goal was going to be disallowed!

People complained when the beta came out that the attributes screen had bad colouring where it was too grey and difficult to read the attributes, I never had this problem. Steam just updated to the patch released today and now I DO have this problem. My drivers are all updated and this is a brand new problem...

Different issue to above but thought worth a mention, im a few months into my first Spurs save and so far enjoying the new game but i have a slight gripe ... The stadium naming hasnt been touched!! i know its probably not at the top of the list but last year it was "The Perryman Arena" This year it is "Hoddle Park" id have hoped to see some of the suggestions made last year to be implemented not cool!!

In terms of the media element of the game, I think there has been a bit of a lack of emphasis here and for me it is one of the most enjoyable elements going way back to CM 01/02. Everything is just a bit samey.

Opposition manager comments are always the same, and my answers are always along the lines of "we are one of the favourites for a reason" followed by "we get on really well" or whatever.

Press conferences are too similar and there isn't anything there to give it a personal feel.

Post-match conferences need to focus more on what happened in the game. Press me for answers about a poor performance or a sending off. Try and catch me off guard while i'm still angry at my defender conceding a late goal and try and get a comment out of me.

All this should then combine with the news articles we get to provide a nice in-depth, personal and engrossing media experience. Staff or players angry or happy and wanting conversations about it.

Overall it just feels a little too easy to please my players because I can just say the same things every time.

I understand the emphasis this time around has been the brand new ME and various updates and it does feel like the biggest update to FM in years. I'm hoping next time around the media section gets a seeing to =)

I'd stick to FM12. I wouldn't say FM13 is unplayable, but I don't use any of the new stuff and dislike the new UI (functionally, not colors). Maybe January the ME will be awesome and would justify FM2013 for me.

On a completely unrelated note - hey, Paul, maybe you toned down the tight angle shots a tad too much :p

[video=youtube;pCWgcWN-IT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCWgcWN-IT8

It's absolutely subjective, I know.

• Administrators
People complained when the beta came out that the attributes screen had bad colouring where it was too grey and difficult to read the attributes, I never had this problem. Steam just updated to the patch released today and now I DO have this problem. My drivers are all updated and this is a brand new problem...

Can you please try deleting your settings files as shown here - http://www.sigames.com/faq/fm13.php?id=69

Then reverifying your cache as shown here - http://www.sigames.com/faq/fm13.php?id=83

If that doesn't work can you try changing from GPU rendering as explained here? - http://www.sigames.com/faq/fm13.php?id=86

Let me know how you get on, thanks.

Different issue to above but thought worth a mention, im a few months into my first Spurs save and so far enjoying the new game but i have a slight gripe ... The stadium naming hasnt been touched!! i know its probably not at the top of the list but last year it was "The Perryman Arena" This year it is "Hoddle Park" id have hoped to see some of the suggestions made last year to be implemented not cool!!

I can't even get my board to start building my new stadium, been stuck on a full progress bar in the planning stages, now four months after the completion date and it still wont change to building.:(

If i want a feeder club to send my players to, so they can obtain work permits in FM 13, say somewhere in Croatia, do I need to have the Croatian league loaded?

I tried choosing a club but the board said they couldn't come to an agreement.

I got a wp feeder that wasn't in a loaded league, then loaded it after the agreement was made. It did take me four seasons of failed attempts though.

This is good news. Have to say I'm glad to see this patch at this time as well instead of waiting for the usual 13.2 around the end/new year.

Thanks for going the extra step with the new ME.

Edit: Heh, opened my big mouth before reading the patch notes, no Me changes, just hot fixes. At least it still sounds like they intend to get the ME changes out too though.

I don't see how using the default makes you think about the game a bit more!! At the very least default tactics should be good, weren't they designed by the brains behind the Tactics Creator. As far as I am concerned using the game's default tactics is the same as using a downloaded tactic. How any of them "beats" the game doesn't matter to me, they were constructed by someone who isn't me.

(It irks me a bit that the tactics creator doesn't really do what it "says on the tin" either, because players are preprogrammed to do certain things under certain conditions that you cannot change.)

Because when you've watched a couple of games you tweak from there instead of going gung-ho with a tactic and sticking with it through thick and thin.

I can't criticize my team for an unconvincing win against mediocre sides without them becoming furious and unsettled eventually. Players so agitated this year, sometimes even when I praise them.

Also still getting no reactions when I tell them to do it for fans etc but then the positional area team talks work much better which is long and boring. Maybe be due to inexperience and a lack of presence but finding this annoying.

Think I'll add in my two pennies on the game. I've played around with it a bit at various levels.

Firstly can I say at the moment how mind-numbingly boring this game is currently. The ME is so lethargic it's untrue. As we see with near enough every single early match engine, the tackling and closing down is just pathetic. Non - existent near enough and just leads you when watching the game to wait for the chance to go / pray to god that they pass it back to the keeper so you have a chance of getting the ball back. Very dull.

There is just no tempo to the games it's all just slow passing football sideways and back again, then again and even though I've been winning games and doing well It's just so boring. I find it impossible to get midfielders to use through balls infront of a striker or an advanced winger. Even If I set the striker to a poacher/advanced forward etc. it makes no difference - he doesn't bother making the run and even if he does the midfielder won't try the pass he will just pass it to feet, get it back again, over and over again until he finally shoots from 30 yards.

I'd say about 80% of the highlights are just the two central midfielders passing it too each other over and over again, occasionally bringing in the striker (who just passes it backwards instantly in 95% of circumstances, I've seen a striker 8 yards out get the ball to feet and he instantly passed it back to my defensive midfielder who was 25 yards backwards), or the wingers who get the ball, maybe dribble a few yards, then turn round and pass it back, or the fullbacks, who get it and again just pass it back. Bare it mind that I've been playing with mainly BSN/S sides and it's just ridiculous. I would love to know if any of the Match Engine team actually play any football or watch football at a lower than Premiership standard... If they do it is nowhere near reflected in the game.

So I then did a bit of an experiment, playing as AFC Fylde, with a standard English 442, I used a targetman style forward and a poacher next to him. Findings from 10 league games:

- In all ten games, only ONCE did I see a tackle which resulted in a change of possession and 'chance'

- only ONCE again did I see a ball go through to a striker who got in behind the defence and was one on one with the keeper. Everything else was in front of the back four.

- As a result I had to dispense with my poacher/advanced forward as he was simply doing nothing.

- Out of the 24 goals I scored, only one was a header from open play, I only saw 4 headed efforts at goal from open play.

Pretty big errors there, an example of what I mentioned earlier.

Other general errors:

- Goalkicks are horrendous. Look like bullets fired and are nearly always too low. Trajectory needs sorted.

- Freekicks are pretty ugly too, Is this the new ball physics? Get some really unrealistic dip on them, not great.

- Obviously SI are really struggling to get the crossing right - In the BETA the attacking side of wide play was truly superb, but the defending was horrible. Now the defending is OK, but the attacking side has been nullified too far. My wingers barely look to beat the man, just go backwards again. Shame.

- Dribbling is very rarely seen - especially centrally or by strikers. When is the last time you have seen an attacking midfielder go on a driving run and beat a couple of players like Yaya Toure, Ramires, Dembele etc do week in week out? For me the answer is NEVER.

- Far too many long range shots - from what I've said above. In all 10 of my games my assistant feedback has said both me and the AI sides are 'only threatening from long range'.

- Set pieces defending is pretty awful. Often get two defenders just standing next to nobody together doing nothing whatsoever.

- wingers/wide midfielders give zero defensive support whatsoever. They don't even get goalside of the play. I've often seen my wingers stand doing nothing, forcing my central midfielders to go and close down the opposition fullbacks! Unreal and if you use a 4-4-2 it's excruciating.

- After a save the ball physics are messed up, the ball nearly always going in the same direction, normally to my winger and flies off the keeper every time, not slowing down enough. In real life, It's pretty rare a save rebounds out of the 18 yard box. Normally the keeper smothers it on the second attempt. I have NEVER seen this happen.

- Shots from bizarre wide angles instead of a cross is infuriating and far too effective also. Keepers get beat at there near post far too often.

- There is a bug after corners, if it gets cleared to the man who took the corner he just stands and watches it go out for a throw in, when he should obviously try and keep it in.

- In general, I'd say 90% of players are too composed on the ball, I've seen BSN centre halves backheel it to teammates in pressure situations.

- Far too often defenders get into trouble and end up in their own corner, the players then line up ridiculously (they should bunch up narrowly to help him out, but they don't bother.), leading to a poor clearance and a magnificent chance to the other team.

- Tackles aren't attempted when they should be. The ball can be there to be intercepted/challenged for and players just stand and watch it go by. I've also seen players running through the ball and not intercepting it.

- Players after being tackled sliding on their front bizarrely for ages before getting up.

- What is with this bizarre 180 degree spin that nearly all players are doing all of the time. It looks ridiculous and is in no way realistic.

It's early days, this ME could be fantastic, at the minute it's pretty awful and not a patch on the FM12 one.

The challenging for headers by attackers is excellent. The way players surge onto the ball is great. But there is not much else. I am aware a patch will be coming but would love an SI member to comment on my individual points with there opinion.

My brother and have been playing an online game, an have decide to put FM13 on the shelf until it has been patched some more. Our main problems are:

1) Very random performance by AI teams. PSG, OL and OM all finished in the bottom half of the French L1 first season. In this second seaons, PSG are rock bottom already, and very questionable teams are positioned near the top.

2) We don't feel like player attributes contribute enough to performance. Players that ought to be amongst our best, perform very badly, while (at best) mediocre strikers can become league top scorer. It is too random (or at least the reasons are too well hidden) for it to make any sense. This problem makes it very hard to decide which players to use, which to sell, and - maybe most importantly - which to buy. Good signings that SHOULD strengthen the squad don't.

EDIT: I should state the we finished 1st and 2nd first season. This is not a whine about difficulty. In line with issue number 1, we both feel it was too easy, but felt incredibly random.

3) Contract negotiations is no longer a negotiation. It has come to a point where both of us just either accept or refuse the demands of a player. They will not compromise. At all. Offering renewals is just as bad as signing new players. Everyone expects to go from 3k a week, to 20k or 30k. It seems hopeless.

4) I know you are aware of this, but not being able to control my scouts is a major issue (for me).

5) There are a few problems with the match engine. The biggest one, in my opinion, is the inability to close down the area in front of my own penalty area. Even when using opposition instructions to close down and tight mark opponent midfielders, my own MCs and DMCs decide it is best to stand on top of my central defenders, almost inside the 6-yard box. I have no idea exactly how many goals I have conceded from just outside the penalty area, but it's alot. The opposition will pass the ball around, sometimes even in to the box, before passing it back to someone just outside the the area, who just kicks it in.

6) Another ME problem is when my wingers or sometimes striker decides to run to the byline, then follow it in to the nearest post, and attempt an impossible shot. Even though there are passes possible (even crosses). It's not that it happens, it's that it happens too often.

There are a few other issues (too many matches with almost no highlight, even though I have an awful lot of play and/or shots), but I am not going to rant about every single one. I accept that the game won't be just as I would want to, but the above mentioned five or six issues are enough for the both of us not wanting to play anymore.

I would love if SI would comment on them, just to get an idea if they agree, and to what extent, or if it is just me who is being unreasonable.

• SI Staff

I'd like to say something about the difference between the ME in 12 and 13.

Yesterday we set up an FM2012 match on a monitor directly next to an FM2013 one. We watched 2 matches side by side in full with the same camera view. The differences were startling.

- FM2012's ball physics are way way behind the new model. The ball moves too fast in the air and then dies a death as soon as it starts to roll. It also bounces way too high and straight up. The FM2013 model looks more like a real football in our opinion. It needs a few tweaks here and there but overall we are happy with its direction.

- FM2012's player physics used legacy code from the original 2D implementation of CM4. As such they had acceleration but no concept of turning circle or deceleration. This allowed them to make unrealistic turns that apart from making them unrealistically good at reacting to the ball, confused the hell out of the animation code.

- The animation code, while certainly nowhere near where we want it to be, is far smoother in FM2013. The instances of player ice skating etc are far more prevalent in FM2012. It still happens occasionally in FM2013 but nowhere near as much.

- The pace of the game in FM2012 just looks too fast in comparison to FM2013. We think the latter reflects modern football better.

Following on from that I think there are various factors contributing to some of the complaints about this year's ME:

- Definitely in beta, and yes, to a point in release the ME is rougher around the edges. We know defender reactions and keeper handling in particular are still needing improvements and we are committed to that as ever as well as the other genuine issues raised in this thread and the bugs forum.

- Many users are completely used to the 12 engine and the 13 is such a departure in terms of the pace of the play and the dynamics that its a culture shock. Its also had huge effects on tactics that may have worked before and work differently now.

- FM2013 is harder for some users, partly due to improved use of the tactics creator and team selection by AI teams. My experience of FML taught me that the more people fail to live up to their own expectations the more the ME is blamed. I know some dont want to hear this, but its true.

- Some users with lower end graphics cards are missing shadows on players which has the effect of "detaching" the players from the field of play. We feel this undermines the whole thing and exacerbates the negatives.

- Users playing 2D classic have bugs with ball rotation and ball collision depiction that are problematic and we intend to address these.

Cheers,

Paul

• SI Staff
My brother and have been playing an online game, an have decide to put FM13 on the shelf until it has been patched some more. Our main problems are:

1) Very random performance by AI teams. PSG, OL and OM all finished in the bottom half of the French L1 first season. In this second seaons, PSG are rock bottom already, and very questionable teams are positioned near the top.

2) We don't feel like player attributes contribute enough to performance. Players that ought to be amongst our best, perform very badly, while (at best) mediocre strikers can become league top scorer. It is too random (or at least the reasons are too well hidden) for it to make any sense. This problem makes it very hard to decide which players to use, which to sell, and - maybe most importantly - which to buy. Good signings that SHOULD strengthen the squad don't.

EDIT: I should state the we finished 1st and 2nd first season. This is not a whine about difficulty. In line with issue number 1, we both feel it was too easy, but felt incredibly random.

3) Contract negotiations is no longer a negotiation. It has come to a point where both of us just either accept or refuse the demands of a player. They will not compromise. At all. Offering renewals is just as bad as signing new players. Everyone expects to go from 3k a week, to 20k or 30k. It seems hopeless.

4) I know you are aware of this, but not being able to control my scouts is a major issue (for me).

5) There are a few problems with the match engine. The biggest one, in my opinion, is the inability to close down the area in front of my own penalty area. Even when using opposition instructions to close down and tight mark opponent midfielders, my own MCs and DMCs decide it is best to stand on top of my central defenders, almost inside the 6-yard box. I have no idea exactly how many goals I have conceded from just outside the penalty area, but it's alot. The opposition will pass the ball around, sometimes even in to the box, before passing it back to someone just outside the the area, who just kicks it in.

6) Another ME problem is when my wingers or sometimes striker decides to run to the byline, then follow it in to the nearest post, and attempt an impossible shot. Even though there are passes possible (even crosses). It's not that it happens, it's that it happens too often.

There are a few other issues (too many matches with almost no highlight, even though I have an awful lot of play and/or shots), but I am not going to rant about every single one. I accept that the game won't be just as I would want to, but the above mentioned five or six issues are enough for the both of us not wanting to play anymore.

I would love if SI would comment on them, just to get an idea if they agree, and to what extent, or if it is just me who is being unreasonable.

On the ME side:

1) We are monitoring this all the time. We havent seen anything quite as dramatic as you describe, but we do think the league tables could be a bit closer to the expected and this will be looked at for an update.

2) May be related in some way to 1)?

5) and 6) Both on our radar.

Cheers,

Paul

hey paul!

thanks for the heads up and i'm pretty much with you, the match engine seems and feels, even with all it's faults, much more real. but the problem for the most part aren't the physics, but mostly the unrealistic decisions and movements of the players. i'm sure, that this will be fixed in the upcoming patches, though my games look way too often like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBzBxbiN4js&feature=youtu.be

from the 35 sec mark on, this is not my game and shows another kind of bug, but it resembles the way the players pass the ball on offense and the defenders react quite well.

cheers!

On the ME side:

1) We are monitoring this all the time. We havent seen anything quite as dramatic as you describe, but we do think the league tables could be a bit closer to the expected and this will be looked at for an update.

having only played one full season, our experience MIGHT have been a freak accident, but seeing PSG as number 20 already in season two, I feel there is a pattern.

2) May be related in some way to 1)?

It may very well be related. I don't know how AI-matches are simulated, but if it is anything like matches with a human participant, the very good players of PSG, OM and OL may not perform as well as they should according to their attributes. It may not only be our good players that underperform, and bad players that shine. For all I know, it could be the same across the board. When you look at the three above mentioned teams, they should (at least 2 out of 3) be near the top of the league when under AI management.

5) and 6) Both on our radar.

Good to know.

No comment on issue number 3? I seriously don't feel there is any hint of negotiations when offering contracts. Even if I "lock" the basic salary, every single player expects to be compensated somehow.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Let me finish by saying that I do think you have done alot of great work with 2013. The physics ARE better. The interface as well (except for the missing dark skin). The POTENTIAL of this game is much greater than that of 2012, and I sincerely hope you will eventually make it into the great game it deserves to be.

Archived