*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

It seems that every clear cut chance a computer team gets in front of the goal (at least the one that are shown in key highlights) is materialized. Reducing computers odds when it has 1 on 1 situation would be a good start I think.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems that every clear cut chance a computer team gets in front of the goal (at least the one that are shown in key highlights) is materialized. Reducing computers odds when it has 1 on 1 situation would be a good start I think.

It has been mentioned quite a few times but there is no difference in computer odds or your odds, the game doesn't differentiate between user teams and AI teams when it calculates the match.

Having played almost a full season I really dont understand why there seems to be a massive uproar about the ME. Easily the best of the series so far for me altough I'm sure it could be improved.

Bad things: Network mode is terribly flawed. So much there is no point playing network games as it is now. Wont bother with details as everything is covered in the bugs forum. Need to be fixed ASAP.

Also small issues like coach assignments being randomly reset. Some of the responses to teamtalks are just very strange. Why would anyone get angry from hearing "dont get complacent" when leading at HT?

Because some players don't like hearing you say the obvious as if they are stupid. Or they are offended that you think there is even a possibility that they would allow a lead to slip away.

I would really like if someone from SI would answer this simple question. Are we going to see a realistic difference in quality between top quality teams and those not so good? Because right now, this difference is really not there. I feel as if every match me and opponent start from the same starting position and then in regards to tactics the match plays out one way or another without even considering the huge difference in individual player quality. Strange results all around between AI teams. Seeing Shaktar win against Barca 5-1 is fun but come on. Surely something is not quite right. I would just like to see an official view on this matter. Thanks.

I've been a fan of FM since the days of Domark..

However, on this release, I am frustrated there are no drop-down menus to navigate to other teams or players quickly?

Ie if I click on Lionel Messi, there used to be a tab which I clicked and showed the whole squad so I could click on David Villa for instance, and navigate to him instantly.

Same with teams, click on Arsenal, drop down box for Man U etc.

Where are these!?!?

I am 99% sure I already answered this for you?! If you are on a player screen, then click on the magnifying glass that used to represent the search function. It still has the search function, but also the breadcrumbs too.

I've been a fan of FM since the days of Domark..

However, on this release, I am frustrated there are no drop-down menus to navigate to other teams or players quickly?

Ie if I click on Lionel Messi, there used to be a tab which I clicked and showed the whole squad so I could click on David Villa for instance, and navigate to him instantly.

Same with teams, click on Arsenal, drop down box for Man U etc.

Where are these!?!?

Click on the search button at the top of the screen (with a magnifying glass icon). It does pretty much the same thing, although I do prefer the old way.

Please release a hotfix for editor woes quicker than a couple weeks - I'm sure there's a number of us waiting to unleash our leagues on the world and many more waiting for said leagues :)

Guest El Payaso

Pretty much everything has been said about the match engine but there are two things that I haven't seen commented; long shots and direct free-kicks. It's really frustrating when you have players like Pedro León and Adriano taking your direct free-kicks and basically never see them scoring even from best positions. Direct free-kicks and long shots are just pathetic, shots from free-kicks barely reach the goal and if they get towards goal they are just easy to save for the keeper. In my first season I saw two goals from direct free-kicks, León scored one for me and the another one was scored by some Betis-player. Free long shots are also just not threatening, maybe one out of 100 is a goal. I understand that there are too many of these good chances for long shots and that might be the main reason why shooting seems to be so poor but I think that you should be really adressing these issues and balance it. I love seeing direct free-kick goals and beautiful long shots from good players but haven't really seen them after FM 2010.

Loving the game by the way.

Here's what Pedro is capable of in real life. Would like to see something like that in game also. :)

Click on the search button at the top of the screen (with a magnifying glass icon). It does pretty much the same thing, although I do prefer the old way.

This is woeful - the drop down method was far superior - one click - menu - one click team/player

The issue of dominating but losing through stupid goals and counter attacks etc against weaker sides is relatable to everyone though. It's just not realistic and shows how random the ME is right now.

It has always been like this, people shouldn't act surprised.

The player's team has ALMOST ALWAYS taken more shots on target/chances/half chances/CCC than the A.I. to score, especially when the player controls a good and above team. It's a serious problem in my eyes that has never been fixed.

The player's team has ALMOST ALWAYS taken more shots on target/chances/half chances/CCC than the A.I. to score, especially when the player controls a good and above team. It's a serious problem in my eyes that has never been fixed.

Rubbish

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/303143-Why-is-the-AI-so-much-better-at-finishing

Read. Digest. Learn.

• SI Staff

As the ME doesn't know who is human/AI and who isn't the only reason for this type of thing would be the AI having a better setup.

Btw to the guy who posted twice about the difference between levels of teams: we think there are slightly too many shocks and will work on it further but overall we think the right teams tend to be at the top of the leagues in general.

That's not true.

Actually I checked it in FM12 by gathering all the match report data for one season and it pretty much showed that my CCC conversion and my SOT to goal conversion rate was actually better then the one of the AI, as it should have been since I had the best team in the league at that time.

I'll probably check the data at FM13 again, if I have the time and once I get through my first season.

Thats because you have never fixed your tactics.

One thing I have been wondering about FM13, has anyone ever had their job threatened or even been sacked due to getting their club in financial trouble?

In FM12 I really felt like I could do whatever I wanted to the club's finances and the board wouldn't care, at least in terms of my job safety. Ruined my enjoyment slightly, as it made the game feel 'easier'.

I really hope someone has got themselves into trouble!

Please can anyone who has even had ramifications arising from financial issues please let me know! Or an SI comment on the possiblities of it.

This is woeful - the drop down method was far superior - one click - menu - one click team/player

It's still one click menu, one click player though. You can drag to expand the search panel so you have less scrolling to do.

That's not true.

Actually I checked it in FM12 by gathering all the match report data for one season and it pretty much showed that my CCC conversion and my SOT to goal conversion rate was actually better then the one of the AI, as it should have been since I had the best team in the league at that time.

I'll probably check the data at FM13 again, if I have the time and once I get through my first season.

It is very true, my general data proves it and there are many players in here who are experiencing it.

Thats because you have never fixed your tactics.

No need to. I'm winning easily, I dominate and I create lots of chances, so my tactics work. Finishing has very little to do with tactics.

Either way, I'll post some data after my time with FM13. Get yours ready as well. As long as you don't try and twist the meaning of words like "chances" and "CCC" in a... "liberal" way...

It is very true, my general data proves it and there are many players in here who are experiencing it.

I am sorry but this is just simply simply simply wrong. Given the ME doesn't differentiate between AI and human teams, any stats you find are purely coincidental and affected by, for example, tactics, rather than ME weighting. For your own sake, I highly recommend you don't waste your time conducting any kind of faux scientific study into a dead end.

Given that the ME doesn't differentiate between human and AI, the only difference is tactics and players. Human managers tend to have better players due to AI squad building flaws, so you would expect better finishing rates if tactics are the same. This is what is seen when using fairly "normal" tactics.

What happens when human managers use tactics that create huge numbers of chances, but not great chances, is that they will win more often than not, but it will appear that CCC's and shot to goal ratios are bad. It will also promote more examples of one shot beating lots of shots. This is not a bad ME or an error, it is a representation of the tactics.

Sadly, I am wasting my time, as this has been explained and ignored repeatedly.

Regarding the ME: For me, player and ball movement is much more realistic, player actions are much less predictable and there are much more interesting things happening on the pitch. Yes, there are still bugs and problems, hell, every incarnation had those. But this engine will be the best ever. In fact, it already is. :applause:

The whole game is a massive step forward - congratulations, SI!

That's the whole problem. Moving a single slider is a total irrelevancy. Working out how to beat teams when your side isn't at its best requires a degree of thought.

I'd look at either pushing the expectations up or reducing the pressure in the media / teamtalk prior to the match, depending on whether you think the team is complacent or nervous. I'd then look at playing a more conservative game than usual in the expectation that your team is still not going to be at its best. If they are looking good in match, then become aggressive. If not, wait to half time and use the team talk to get them going. If things still look dodgy, then stay with the conservative approach and try to grind out the win.

One of the problems an ME busting tactic produces is it being impossible to work out if your team isn't at its best. Because the tactic is designed to dominate statistically, you can't see when you are playing badly, because the stats are always in your favour. The only clue is failing to score and letting in sloppy goals. Consequently, it becomes difficult to react and people blame 'bad slider settings' or 'overpowered team talks' as the reason for the loss.

But you said it yourself, you need to get the press conference/team talk right to see your team take their chances or not stand still on defense. I'm ok if the team is complacent but then I want them to create less chances because they'Re sloppy with the ball, lose it more often, and not by seeing them miss 5 or 6 chances from best positions (I've had a match where Gomez put the ball over the open (!!!) goal from 5-6 yards out central position). How is the user that does not know the ME mechanics ever to get a clue about this or any joy out of the game?

Plus, the effect of motivation is too big. Yes there are some shock results IRL, but more often in cup matches the lower level teams (division 4,5 etc) are slaughtered by 4 or 5 at half time and then might nor might not concede another coule of goals past HT.

Issues I'm having:

I can beat even such teams just by 2 or 3 goals max, The AI teams amongst each other run into a similar problem.

If I go up by 2 or 3 at half time I'm almost certain to not create any more chances in the second half, let alone score another goal, no matter what changes to the tactics I make. There is just no way to keep your team focused enough it seems.

and to top it all off the opposition will at least once or twice a match start a fluid one-touch counter move that will inevitably result in a goal ;). That may be partially realistic when I go up against a team in the same league but clearly weaker or a league below. But a teamwith an average passing state of 6 ? c'mon.

Also in the league, I struggled with inconsitency. the solution? Not tactics, team talks. I now tell my players "no pressure" before each and every match and am on a 28 game unbeaten run with 2 draws against Juventus and one away to Nürnberg. As a test I tried the "expect a win" team talk against last place fürth towards the end of the run and was dominated in the first half.

You think team talks really should have that much of an effect on performance?

Again, don't get me wrong the game largely brilliant. Coming across some more items I need to keep an eye on before i report them as potential bugs (if nobody else has already), too few regens, especially top class regens for my liking being wingers but the ME bugs and tt/media part are currently the things that spoil the fun a little bit.

Do I need to post video evidence that something is not right regarding ball trajectory and interception? I am sure this is something everyone experience?

I mean, a long ball is kicked towards my goal from the opponent's final third and one opponent starts running for it from their half. Then the ball passes within a metre (almost through in some occasions) of two or three of my own players who don't react at all, bounces past one of my central defenders who start turning slowly. Their player is now at a full trot, blitzes past my still-turning defender and is through on goal. This is especially bad on clearances.

It is as if the moment the ball leaves the foot or head of a player, it is decided which player is going to have control of it and everyone else ignores it. I have conceded several goals where it is very obvious from the ball trajectory that the wrong player went for the ball. Several backpasses have a defender or the keeper waiting to get the ball while it rolls slowly towards him and is ignored by everyone else except one opponent charging to reach the ball first. Surely football 101 says "move towards the ball when it is played to your feet", yes?

Another issue I have noticed is that collision is not always working correctly either. Two players go into a challenge, and both the winner and the loser appear equally confused about where the ball is afterwards. This is in the BSP so it may be a matter of player quality, but certainly there should be less instances of both players bouncing off each other and then rotating awkwardly in some random direction before one of them resumes control of the ball?

And regarding pressing: is it really necessary to max out Defensive Line in order to have your midfielders not drop down to next to the defenders when not in possession?

I mean, a long ball is kicked towards my goal from the opponent's final third and one opponent starts running for it from their half. Then the ball passes within a metre (almost through in some occasions) of two or three of my own players who don't react at all, bounces past one of my central defenders who start turning slowly. Their player is now at a full trot, blitzes past my still-turning defender and is through on goal. This is especially bad on clearances.

It is as if the moment the ball leaves the foot or head of a player, it is decided which player is going to have control of it and everyone else ignores it. I have conceded several goals where it is very obvious from the ball trajectory that the wrong player went for the ball. Several backpasses have a defender or the keeper waiting to get the ball while it rolls slowly towards him and is ignored by everyone else except one opponent charging to reach the ball first. Surely football 101 says "move towards the ball when it is played to your feet", yes?

Although I disagree with 90% of the ME posts on here, I agree with this one. I asked PaulC if the ME allowed for more than 1 player on each team to challenge for the ball at a time and he said it did, but I have yet to see any evidence of it. Could of course be selective memory, but it does seem to me to be, as you say, pre-determined which player will control the ball, even if he has run the length of the pitch and 20 other players could have got it first. Of course the issue could just be with how the ME is represented, rather than how it calculates.

Do I need to post video evidence that something is not right regarding ball trajectory and interception? I am sure this is something everyone experience?

Yes, always post .pkms of any ME things you believe are errors. Even if already reported, it may be that your example is a clearer one that allows the ME team to correct the error.

Also small issues like coach assignments being randomly reset. ...

It's not completely random - it only happens when you do a comparison between two players. It's been reported as a bug and is being worked on, I understand, but for the time being it's either don't do comparisons between two players or (my option) do it sparingly and check after you do that your coaches haven't had their assignments messed up.

It's not ideal but knowing what causes the problem helps you deal with it.

This is the first Football Manager game I have played that I have not enjoyed and regret purchasing. I started playing Championship Manager back in 2000 and have loved these games for a long time. I just feel that results and performances are now out of my control. Despite setting up teams to control possession with short passes, press opponents and keep the ball I keep playing teams in the relegation zone who play like Barcelona against me. Possession of 60%+ and pass completion of 85%+. So then I think about attacking these lowly league teams but I keep going 2-0 down quickly always from crosses or Messi like dribbles through my team as my defenders watch and goalkeepers flap. At the end of the day this is a computer game which has always been fun to kill time with and enjoy building a team. Some excellent improvements have been made like the DofF. Despite being in my third season with a good team and hiring good scouts to buy good players I find it really difficult to win two league games in a row. I am aware that small problems in the past have been fixed with patches or updates for things like too many booking or penalties but I just get the feeling the game isn't quite right or finished which is a shame. I don't know much about the technical side of things but I feel as though there isn't much difference between playing small clubs and large clubs (its actually easy to play big clubs) and tinkering with tactics doesn't have a big effect on how the players play. I really hope I haven't fallen out of love for the beautiful game after a decade.

Yes, always post .pkms of any ME things you believe are errors. Even if already reported, it may be that your example is a clearer one that allows the ME team to correct the error.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tyouz1

Here is the PKM of the latest match I played. There are numerous problems here; firstly I got -three- penalties in this match, all conceded by the same player. Could happen, but there seems to be a lot more penalties in this ME than the last, in general.

Secondly, the third goal I scored is a prime example of the "it is predetermined who gets the ball" problem (I mean, of course it is - but it shouldn't be this obvious to spot). If the ball passes within range of stretching your foot out, unless the distance from the passer/shooter is extremely short, you will -always- be doing so and if it is meant for a teammate they will need to communicate this to you. These goals should -never- happen! It is a major blunder to let it go past you, and should be rare even in the lower leagues. My fifth goal is an example of the "players bouncing off each other unrealistically" problem, but here my forward came to his senses first, luckily for me.

Thirdly, the starting tactic I chose is -extremely- attacking and defensive line is at maximum because that is the only way I have found to make my players behave realistically when the strategy is to push forward. So yes, they manage to abuse this and get a lot of through balls behind my defenders, which is only to be expected. So I swapped to my defensive tactic since I was in the lead because of all the penalties. Yet, they STILL manage to find just as much space behind my defense as the other tactic. Just look at all the one-on-ones in this match! How on earth do they lure my team that high up the pitch when I have set defensive line to Deep and closing down to click #7 or something like that?

The same thing happened in the next match at home vs Forest Green. Went up 1-0 in the 75th minute or something like that. Swapped to the 4-1-4-1 tactic and then they COUNTERED IN a goal five minutes later (my defenders turned around too slowly, of course). You seriously need to tone down the power of counter-attacks in this game. There is a reason good teams push forward, dominate and win against teams defending deep and hoping for a quick counter-attack to get a point or three, and that is because the former is more efficient than the latter.

Also, it takes a fraction of a second for a professional football player to turn around 90 degrees, not three seconds. (edit; what is the point of having quick defenders to sweep up through balls when they don't turn around and run?)

Judging by some of the posts on here i feel that I'm playing a different version of the game.

There are a few glitches, however nothing that won't get fixed or distort the game in any way.

Things I have learnt

1, As a new manager the players have to get used to you, your system.

2, Every team has weapons that will hurt you if you don't set up right.

3, Remaining consistent in what you want your team to do helps, chopping and changing is counter productive.

4, Be pragmatic, and react to what you see happening in the match. (I watch every game full match)

5, Its taken me until December to affect player morales with teamtalks etc..

6, Get your shape right, lower creative freedom to gel the team quicker.

I am really happy with FM13, all the other FM's Had people complaining as well. You can't please everyone I suppose but I have always been happy with the FM series without fail.

• SI Staff
Bugs forums are for bugs, not for ME tweaks.

They need to be in the bugs forum, although some of the stuff you mention sounds like stuff already fixed for next match engine update :-)

Your original post stated they were errors. Errors need to be corrected, via the bugs forum.

I called them "problems" not errors or bugs. Bugs are unintentional programming mistakes. These problems may well be intentional, so I just point them out.

I called them "problems" not errors or bugs. Bugs are unintentional programming mistakes. These problems may well be intentional, so I just point them out.

Well, Paul has asked you to post them in the bugs forum, so I hope you can help.

So you're saying it should be titled "Data Collection Forum For All Feedback, Bugs And Anomalies" otherwise you're not game?

If you think there's a problem, provide data and evidence and it'll be looked at. The alternative is just complaining about an issue that may never even be reviewed, let alone fixed.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tyouz1

Here is the PKM of the latest match I played. There are numerous problems here; firstly I got -three- penalties in this match, all conceded by the same player. Could happen, but there seems to be a lot more penalties in this ME than the last, in general.

Must be the way that your tactics are. I have played 8 friendlies, and i'm into Nov in my first season - I have had a total of 6 penalties.

This is the first Football Manager game I have played that I have not enjoyed and regret purchasing. I started playing Championship Manager back in 2000 and have loved these games for a long time. I just feel that results and performances are now out of my control. Despite setting up teams to control possession with short passes, press opponents and keep the ball I keep playing teams in the relegation zone who play like Barcelona against me. Possession of 60%+ and pass completion of 85%+. So then I think about attacking these lowly league teams but I keep going 2-0 down quickly always from crosses or Messi like dribbles through my team as my defenders watch and goalkeepers flap. At the end of the day this is a computer game which has always been fun to kill time with and enjoy building a team. Some excellent improvements have been made like the DofF. Despite being in my third season with a good team and hiring good scouts to buy good players I find it really difficult to win two league games in a row. I am aware that small problems in the past have been fixed with patches or updates for things like too many booking or penalties but I just get the feeling the game isn't quite right or finished which is a shame. I don't know much about the technical side of things but I feel as though there isn't much difference between playing small clubs and large clubs (its actually easy to play big clubs) and tinkering with tactics doesn't have a big effect on how the players play. I really hope I haven't fallen out of love for the beautiful game after a decade.

My thoughts exactly. Although I believe the game has been greatly improved in pretty much all aspects outside of the ME, I have a hard time enjoying it. Within a few days I've already restarted like 5 times because I thought I just had to get used to the new environment and learn from my mistakes. However, no matter the tactics, training or players, there's a recurring trend of randomness in all my games. Whatever opponent I play against, they're allowed to go all out Barcelona on my ass up until my 16 yard box, where pretty much all my defenders and midfielders are lined up.

My team does well, though. Combinations are looking good and we get a great amount of chances almost every match. Unfortunately that does not mean I'll win any of those games, because the opponent will simply counter my attacks and eventually win 0-1. Possession goes to me, as does amount of CCC's and passes. Doesn't seem to matter.

I really hope the upcoming patch fixes this game, so it'll feel like im in control and my decisions have an effect on the result. I do have to say I find it ridiculous that I invest a reasonable amount of money in pre-ordering this thing, only to receive what I believe is a broken game. What has the beta-testing been good for?

Just by way of a Match Engine update this is where we are. Its a work in progress so far and not likely to be rolled out for a week at the very least.....

Match v1313

-----------

- Refined position of d-line and also the lines in front of it when defending

- Brought wingers a bit deeper when defending

- Weaker players more likely to favour direct passes quicker

- Improved short pass accuracy slightly

- Tried to increase number of crosses slightly

- Fine tuned shot accuracy

- Fixed some minor player on ball decision bugs

- Improved trajectory of medium length kicks like free kick shots and corners

- Made players better at offering out ball to team mate

- Tried to improve player reactions to deflected balls or tackles

- Made players more willing to slide tackle when opportunity and need arises

- Fixed some unnatural save directions from keepers

- Fixed keepers trying to save ball at wrong point when its heading for post or bar

- Made players slightly better at turning body while on the run

- Made strongest player stand ground when 2 players collide while going for a header

- Made goal celebration paths a little bit more varied

- Fixed comms saying ball well wide when not really that far wide

- Some ball physics collision tweaks

- Some team talk fixes

Some great tweaks listed there already! Good to see a progress update, it might help people understand more of the progress. Is this something you guys could do in a locked topic made as a sticky?

Judging by some of the posts on here i feel that I'm playing a different version of the game.

There are a few glitches, however nothing that won't get fixed or distort the game in any way.

Things I have learnt

1, As a new manager the players have to get used to you, your system.

2, Every team has weapons that will hurt you if you don't set up right.

3, Remaining consistent in what you want your team to do helps, chopping and changing is counter productive.

4, Be pragmatic, and react to what you see happening in the match. (I watch every game full match)

5, Its taken me until December to affect player morales with teamtalks etc..

6, Get your shape right, lower creative freedom to gel the team quicker.

I am really happy with FM13, all the other FM's Had people complaining as well. You can't please everyone I suppose but I have always been happy with the FM series without fail.

Well said that man!

My thoughts exactly. Although I believe the game has been greatly improved in pretty much all aspects outside of the ME, I have a hard time enjoying it. Within a few days I've already restarted like 5 times because I thought I just had to get used to the new environment and learn from my mistakes. However, no matter the tactics, training or players, there's a recurring trend of randomness in all my games. Whatever opponent I play against, they're allowed to go all out Barcelona on my ass up until my 16 yard box, where pretty much all my defenders and midfielders are lined up.

My team does well, though. Combinations are looking good and we get a great amount of chances almost every match. Unfortunately that does not mean I'll win any of those games, because the opponent will simply counter my attacks and eventually win 0-1. Possession goes to me, as does amount of CCC's and passes. Doesn't seem to matter.

I really hope the upcoming patch fixes this game, so it'll feel like im in control and my decisions have an effect on the result. I do have to say I find it ridiculous that I invest a reasonable amount of money in pre-ordering this thing, only to receive what I believe is a broken game. What has the beta-testing been good for?

The only way to fix that is to max out defensive line.

Another quick piece of feedback/suggestion:

You can ask a senior player to tutor a younger player - it would be nice to be able to do it the other way around when talking to a younger player.

For example, asking them if there is anyone at the club they'd like to work with in their development.

Archived