*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

I was wondering one thing... the "players look like they move on ice" issue is related with the ME or with the graphical part of the game?

The same for some weird stuff the gk are doing?

Same with the ball. It's the new physics engine and accodring to PaulC that's how it's supposed to look, and SI doesn't consider it a problem so you either gonna accept it or play some other game. Guess it's one of those things people just have completely polar opinions of and cannot be persuaded one way or another.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same with the ball. It's the new physics engine and accodring to PaulC that's how it's supposed to look, and SI doesn't consider it a problem so you either gonna accept it or play some other game. Guess it's one of those things people just have completely polar opinions of and cannot be persuaded one way or another.

But it is a problem since maybe 20-25 % of the posts is about that "non excisting issue"

Ok, first impression based off of one game, so this will be just graphical.

Yes there is a very pronounced 'ice skating' effect going on. There are times I don't see it, but most times those making plays on the balls will move in a direction they aren't quite facing so the get this effect. Lots of sliding around, seeing it I'd be hard pressed to say this isn't happening on everyone. Granted its really minor, not game breaking obviously but it does look funny. I think there is alot of polish work that needs to be done with all the new animations basically, because there was a point I saw a player kicking the ball and he made the kick and half a second later the ball reacted and flew.

Also I saw a little of the ball physics being odd. it does look like the ball doesn't drag and slow quite as much on passes with higher pace. Does look a little off, but only when the ball is played harder like that, most times it seems more normal though. One other time the ball was kicked out for an injury and it didn't hit the ad boards hard but hard enough it should have rebounded, but it didn't just sort of bounced up but not off.

So yeah there is some graphical polish that needs to be done certainly, that's very obvious. Maybe a tad annoying but not game breaking. Overall it does look better except for the 'ice skating' once that gets cleaned up it is an improvement. But that's not saying much, as its not nearly as important as other things.

Again was only one game, but I didn't see any glaring issue with player behavior. I didn't even notice a lack of closing like both sides have mentioned. But I'll have to play more to get a better feel.

I don't think anyone has intended to come across like that - I think there was frustration with some people expecting any tactics to work to an extent as long as you have half-decent players, and others unwilling to see why certain tactics which have been so effective in previous FMs may no longer be so. In trying to explain that and being greeted with 'but the ME is rubbish' type responses (by the minority I might add) frustration has come back and some posts may have come across in the way you've interpreted and for that I'm sorry. As said that was never the reason for the post - we have just been wanting to clarify certain aspects about the ME and the tactical system which hadn't been noted by some users.

I appreciate the response Neil.

I realise that it was never intended to come across the way it did. I'm glad that the advice helped some people to adapt to this ME but I'd wager more would have taken the advice had it been worded differently. Unfortunately typing on the interweb can often lead to these misinterpretations.

I also appreciate you and the rest of the SI team taking time to interact with the community despite the presence of the lunatic fringe. I've met and interacted with enough of you guys to know that you all care passionately about making the game the best it can be. I guess however that like football itself there can be many differing opinions on what's right and what's wrong.

But it is a problem since maybe 20-25 % of the posts is about that "non excisting issue"

Well, nothing we can do, really. PauC clearly said he doesn't consider it a problem so don't expect any changes. According to him it looks good :)

I am playing an online game as Stade Rennais with my brother, and am having problems with assigning my scouts.

I have removed the responsibility of assigning scouts from my head scout, but am still not able to send them anywhere, even after having canceled every existing assignment. I have checked with my board, and there are not restrictions in place. He is the host, and are able to decide where to send his scouts.

I have no idea if this is a bug or not, but if it isn't there is lacking information about why I am not allowed to scout regions or nations. The only option available is "next opposition".

• Administrators
I am playing an online game as Stade Rennais with my brother, and am having problems with assigning my scouts.

I have removed the responsibility of assigning scouts from my head scout, but am still not able to send them anywhere, even after having canceled every existing assignment. I have checked with my board, and there are not restrictions in place. He is the host, and are able to decide where to send his scouts.

I have no idea if this is a bug or not, but if it isn't there is lacking information about why I am not allowed to scout regions or nations. The only option available is "next opposition".

Would be worth raising this on the bugs forum so we can take a look - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/291

• SI Staff
Ok, first impression based off of one game, so this will be just graphical.

Yes there is a very pronounced 'ice skating' effect going on. There are times I don't see it, but most times those making plays on the balls will move in a direction they aren't quite facing so the get this effect. Lots of sliding around, seeing it I'd be hard pressed to say this isn't happening on everyone. Granted its really minor, not game breaking obviously but it does look funny. I think there is alot of polish work that needs to be done with all the new animations basically, because there was a point I saw a player kicking the ball and he made the kick and half a second later the ball reacted and flew.

Also I saw a little of the ball physics being odd. it does look like the ball doesn't drag and slow quite as much on passes with higher pace. Does look a little off, but only when the ball is played harder like that, most times it seems more normal though. One other time the ball was kicked out for an injury and it didn't hit the ad boards hard but hard enough it should have rebounded, but it didn't just sort of bounced up but not off.

So yeah there is some graphical polish that needs to be done certainly, that's very obvious. Maybe a tad annoying but not game breaking. Overall it does look better except for the 'ice skating' once that gets cleaned up it is an improvement. But that's not saying much, as its not nearly as important as other things.

Again was only one game, but I didn't see any glaring issue with player behavior. I didn't even notice a lack of closing like both sides have mentioned. But I'll have to play more to get a better feel.

Many thanks for the constructive post. Away from the AI, we are intrigued by your references to "ice skating" as well as the displacement of kick animation and ball movement you mentioned. Is there any way you can either a) stick these on youtube or b) get the pkm to us with times in the match where we can check these out? Its fine if you want to email or PM me.

I ask because the one thing we all think we have improved graphically this year is to reduce the "ice skating" of FM2012 significantly........

Thanks,

Paul

I ask because the one thing we all think we have improved graphically this year is to reduce the "ice skating" of FM2012 significantly........

Thanks,

Paul

I think the ice skating is worst, when compare with FM2012.3

but better, when compare with the first version of FM2012

That thread is talking about players sliding not the ball.

Quote from the other thread

"What the hell has happened to the ME in 3d mode? The ball and players seem to glide around like they're on ice! On some occasions the ball actually gains momentum and causes players/gks to miss control the ball.

Is there a fix on it's way for this? "

As i said im confused

But it IS ineffective.

There is absolutely no pressing or closing down of players outside your 18 yard box. It's especially noticable when the ball is wide; your midfielders will fall back into the defensive line, and leave the opposing midfielders unmarked. When the ball is passed back to these midfielders, the defending team will press very casually, allowing for very long spells of possession in the final thirds.

It's completely unrealistic behaviour, and it appears to happen regardless of how you have set up the pressing and defensive line.

If its happening to you and not happening to me, does that suggest its an AI issue or a human issue? I have seen midfielders press in midfield doggedly I might add, where those players were assigned hard tackling, they would lunge in. Now I have also posted screenshots of these occurrences in the bugs forum, where someone said there was an absence of pressing. At the end of the day whether a player presses or not is a function of certain variables.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/yrashidiy/Pressing.jpg This is a sequence of shots showing a liverpool midfielder chasing down a ball.

http://[i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/yrashidiy/Dempsey.jpg This is another sequence where a player is stopped dead cold and if you notice his passing options have been limited by my tight marking

When the ball goes wide I expect to see my fullbacks make challenges around the 25 yard line. I also expect my midfielders to track back and cover the angles. My defending team doesnt do things casually. I have even posted screenshots of an opposition player ganged up by a pack of players, and this was before the patch was even introduced. Back then I had to set any support player to hard tackling. Now I have them back on normal because they do tackle in dangerous areas.

Defending is multi-faceted game, forgive me for stating the obvious. We need to understand whether players are in there playing their roles to the best of their ability. When I find a player not pressing/tackling in a danger zone, I immediately start looking at whether there is someone else nearby, or whether its not a dangerous area of the pitch. If I elect to shut down a creative midfielder then I want that to happen, and to do that I always use Opposition Instructions. Prior to a game I will set these up, and within the first 15 minutes of a game I will assess.

Personally my impression of the engine is that as far as pressing is concerned its fine, it needs some minor tweaks in certain areas of the pitch. If i elect to manmark a key player and shut him down I want to see more of that, the challenge here is that this is meant to mimic real behavior, players are not robots, and their creative freedom plus their motivation to do the job may act as hinderances. And if it does then I need to make adjustments. This is no longer a game where A+B+C = D, the variables need us to be a bit more creative and attentive to what goes on on the pitch, and make adjustments accordingly.

Quote from the other thread

"What the hell has happened to the ME in 3d mode? The ball and players seem to glide around like they're on ice! On some occasions the ball actually gains momentum and causes players/gks to miss control the ball.

Is there a fix on it's way for this? "

As i said im confused

What I also find a bit confusing is that the reply has now been edited so that it does not show David Siddall stating that they are aware of the problem.

"Last edited by Michael Burling; 05-11-2012 at 18:24."

A bit sneaky that :p

Many thanks for the constructive post. Away from the AI, we are intrigued by your references to "ice skating" as well as the displacement of kick animation and ball movement you mentioned. Is there any way you can either a) stick these on youtube or b) get the pkm to us with times in the match where we can check these out? Its fine if you want to email or PM me.

Thanks,

Paul

I'll certainly try to get you multiple examples, I assume the demo has PKM's as well. I'll play some more then probably make a bug report for it with the examples.

What I also find a bit confusing is that the reply has now been edited so that it does not show David Siddall stating that they are aware of the problem.

"Last edited by Michael Burling; 05-11-2012 at 18:24."

A bit sneaky that :p

I never quoted David in the first place, hence the edit was cause i added "Quote from the other thread" than just " "

But i saw what David wrote but i also saw what Paul wrote 3 hours earlier today. If they actully think it is a issue im more than happy and have no intentions to make anyone look bad or change any quotes.

I never quoted David in the first place, hence the edit was cause i added "Quote from the other thread" than just " "

But i saw what David wrote but i also saw what Paul wrote 3 hours earlier today. If they actully think it is a issue im more than happy and have no intentions to make anyone look bad or change any quotes.

I meant the post you had the link for was edited not your post,David had said they were aware of the problem but someone at SI edited that part out.

As I said a bit sneaky :p

Some more observations of mine (sorry if they have been mentioned and dealt with before but I haven't read all posts):

1) Keepers save a lot of shots with their feet.

a) Keepers tend to jump before the shot has been made. Resulting in a save with their feet.

b) When low shots are made quite often the keeper decides to jump with their feet first (and saving with their feet) instead of jumping with head/hands first and saving with hands.

2) AI keepers (even the really crappy ones) are making some insane saves way too often. Maybe it's just me having too many brilliant shots at goal, but it's getting really annoying. Matches where I'm having a lot of shots against me I tend to see the same thing, but that's not such a huge surprise as my keeper is way better.

3) AI seems to be a lot better at scoring goals than me. Many of their goals aren't characterised as clear cut or half chance. As opposed to many of my shots which I struggle to get in.

4) Recently I found out the best way to defend was going gong ho tactically. Press, press and more press seems to be the way to make your defence not look like a bunch of lazy teenagers the whole match trough. In FM12 it was my experience that you'd only get away with that sort of style playing against much worse teams than your own.

5) Even AI teams seem to struggle against inferior sides.

6) In player search I can't get to see see the asking price when customizing the view.

7) Is it at all possible to score from free kick? I've seen it once in the first beta.

8) Hitting the woodwork/crossbar

a) Too often free kicks hit the crossbar. Especially if the free kick is a high one that suddenly drops.

b) Generally I'm hitting the woodwork more often than the AI. Hitting the woodwork 2-3 times a game on average seems a bit too much for me.

c) Hitting the woodwork doesn't always count towards the "Woodwork" stat in game. Which actually makes it more like 4-5 a game the woodwork gets hit.

9) Throw ins

a) Too often throw ins are thrown directly to the opposing team with no team mates nearby. And it's not because of fair play after injury or such.

b) Sometimes throw ins are thrown so hard in the neck of a team mate that watching the ball physique (ball going way up in the air and some 20 meters in another direction) makes you believe that surely the player in question must be paralysed from neck down.

All this being said I still believe the ME and FM as a whole has a lot of potential. Just looking at how much was changed during the beta period makes me reassured.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/yrashidiy/Pressing.jpg This is a sequence of shots showing a liverpool midfielder chasing down a ball.

http://[i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/yrashidiy/Dempsey.jpg This is another sequence where a player is stopped dead cold and if you notice his passing options have been limited by my tight marking

Well, that wouldn't be what I consider an aggressive pressing. You are already in defensive phase, quite close to your own box. The main point on pressing is to get the ball fast, in the opposite side of the field, as soon as anyone of the opposite team controls it. Before even making your own team retreat. You eliminate any chance of rival possession or counter attack by pressing the owner of the ball as soon as he gets the ball, while keeping your lines really high to continue playing when you recover it.

For example: Guardiola's Barcelona didn't let any positional attack phase (not sure if it's said this way in English) in Camp Nou in 4 years. No team was able to make them defend in their own side. That's the point of pressing. And pressing right now in ME doesn't allow it. In FM12, while not particularly good at this, it was achievable.

This had happened before. With FM2008 was mostly the same. FM2007 had some ultra-aggressive pressing, and FM2008 was released nearly without it. Then FM2008 was patched and ended up having a very well balanced pressing.

• SI Staff
I meant the post you had the link for was edited not your post,David had said they were aware of the problem but someone at SI edited that part out.

As I said a bit sneaky :p

Not really, I think David got some wires crossed on which issue was being raised.

Ball sliding: we don't really see it bar the odd anomaly but if someone can provide a pkm to the contrary we are all ears.

Ice skating: as far as we are concerned this was *way* worse in FM2012 but again if a pkm example is forthcoming we'll investigate.

This my friend is a spot on post and summed it up very nicely.

I like to think I know a lot about football and have a good understanding of tactics, but I certainly felt belittled by some of the posts on here basically calling me an ignoramus due to struggling to make a workable tactic. (not that any were directed at me, but some of the posts definitely came off very high and mighty)/

Thanks mate, I tried the best I could to write down the mainstream opinion (which is mine as well). I am happy to see SI reacting a lot more adequately as well. Also Neil Brock, thank you for your reaction on Edgar555.

Not really, I think David got some wires crossed on which issue was being raised.

Ball sliding: we don't really see it bar the odd anomaly but if someone can provide a pkm to the contrary we are all ears.

Ice skating: as far as we are concerned this was *way* worse in FM2012 but again if a pkm example is forthcoming we'll investigate.

Yeah people having a issue with it should go here instead to help you guys out with pkm.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/324909-Player-and-ball-slide-on-the-field

There's loads of closing down all over the pitch. Watch the game Butters76 uploaded. Players pressing and flying in everywhere. The problem is that this closing down suddenly seems to stop when the opposition get controlled possession in the final third. I suspect it is down to the midfield getting too focused on strikers and getting compressed into the d-line and secondary players not moving up the pitch in support of the press, which both trap the d-line deep.

But it doesn't really matter if it's fine "most of the time". It's not like it's something that happens once in a blue moon; you see it pretty much every game, and it has a big knock-on effect on defending/attacking as well.

Apart from set pieces, I think that unmarked midfielders striking from the edge of the box is the most common ways of conceding goals for me, and that's just not something that should happen very often unless you are undermanned in central midfield.

Although I am sure none of them would be able to admit it, comments like this, or moreso the mentality that this comment reflects, must have the devs banging their heads off the walls. I am not sure how to explain it, but along the lines of 'You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink'. The FM13 engine is better than the FM 12 one, which is fact. What is currently preventing the wider-holding of this opinion is some errors within the ME, such as interesting animations and also that people are finding it less enjoyable than FM12.

This creates a very difficult stand-off. The devs have spent a year making an ME which, although not perfect, is undoubtedly better (more realistic) than before, and looking at 95% of the comments here it really does seem that, rather than actually using their brains, most people are just unhappy because they can't exploit it like they did FM12. The other side of the stand-off is that some people have paid their money with a view to their own enjoyment, rather than realism, and the fact they are having to re-learn is making them not enjoy it, with the not-yet perfected animation quirks giving them easy fodder to further tell themselves they don't like the new ME. But at the end of the day, if they don't like it, that is their right, and can't be called a wrong opinion, even if the reasons and lack of open-mindedness behind it are infuriating to the devs.

Given the tone of some of the comments, SI staff are doing a very good job of showing restraint, and not just replying 'You will like it once you get used to it' to every criticism; an answer which, given the existence of patching, is surely correct.

I for one am sold by the new ME, look forward to it being improved, and am shocked by the complete lack of intelligence in opinions of a number of posters here. (again accepting that there is no requirement for a paying customer to display intelligence)

I will second that, I guess if you want to watch football as played by Stoke or England at their worse then by all means go back to the old ME. Yes this ME has some really irritating flaws and yes they can drive you mad, but its apparent that once sorted out it will give much greater variation in styles of play than FM2012.

One small thing, and not really highly important. Players "Retired from professional football" playing in lower leagues still sign part-time contracts for higher division clubs, which I find a bit strange, since they probably retired for a reason.

Well, that wouldn't be what I consider an aggressive pressing. You are already in defensive phase, quite close to your own box. The main point on pressing is to get the ball fast, in the opposite side of the field, as soon as anyone of the opposite team controls it. Before even making your own team retreat. You eliminate any chance of rival possession or counter attack by pressing the owner of the ball as soon as he gets the ball, while keeping your lines really high to continue playing when you recover it.

For example: Guardiola's Barcelona didn't let any positional attack phase (not sure if it's said this way in English) in Camp Nou in 4 years. No team was able to make them defend in their own side. That's the point of pressing. And pressing right now in ME doesn't allow it. In FM12, while not particularly good at this, it was achievable.

This had happened before. With FM2008 was mostly the same. FM2007 had some ultra-aggressive pressing, and FM2008 was released nearly without it. Then FM2008 was patched and ended up having a very well balanced pressing.

Ok here goes. I just went into a liverpool save, adjusted my tactic off the tactical creator, went to my OI set things up there..and decide to adopt a more aggressive stance, within the first few minutes chelsea cant even construct a meaningful move to get the ball out of their half.

In this image please note how 3 of my players are pressing in the opponents half..they are making a beeline for the keeper. Who has to hurry his clearance...which then lands at......

Pressing1-1.jpg

Pressing1a.jpg

pressing1c.jpg

this location..where they find every outlet marked. If you notice carefully and I do hope this is clear. I have men waiting to pounce. So yes its possible to press in your opponents half.

Pressing2.jpg

Oh and before someone asks bout players...ok heres another sequence same match..5+minutes later. Lampard is trying to build an attack from the back to unleash the fullbacks..or do something. Unfortunately for him today hes got to handle something called Opposition Instructions..

Lampard1.jpg

Lampard2.jpg

And finally hes brought down...and the attack comes to nought

I was going to link a few more shots..I am playing the game as I add in screenshots. And I've just seen their keeper get closed down, the ball goes to ashley young he gets closed down he plays it back to the keeper, the keeper gets closed down and hes forced to punt the ball it lands in the stands and we have possession again.

Oh boy and the best thing yet thank you SI you have finally fixed the most annoying thing I found in previous versions of the me The Match engines failure at recognizing and attacking empty space. We got our 2nd goal from exactly that action.

TTB2.jpg

TTBintospac.jpg

Just a quick question to Paul or Neil:

Is it possible to make it so that when you are looking at the stats box in a match (from the stats link at the top) and a there is a highlight for said highlight to be shown before returning to the stats box? I feel having the game do this would make the experience more like the "classic mode" from the previous fm's, but at the moment I keep having to click on the pitch button to get back to the match.

241qn8x.jpg

2hp54xu.jpg

You have to laugh :D

I bet it's not that far from the truth tbh...

I can see that they had a better pass completion and a better tackling completion and took their chances, I would take a wager that most of your's were from long range. But of course, it's all speculation given I can't see the stats.

But take a look at the everton v fulham match... everton completely outplayed them but still only came out with a draw...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/match/2012/nov/03/fulham-v-everton

that's just an example of course.. but you see what I'm saying

Oh my god what i would do for my reputation to increase. I've retained the league title now yet i am still merely nationally reknown.

Agree with this I started with automatic reputation and managed to get Forest to the premier via the play-offs in my 1st season and yet my reputaion was regional.

• Administrators
Just a quick question to Paul or Neil:

Is it possible to make it so that when you are looking at the stats box in a match (from the stats link at the top) and a there is a highlight for said highlight to be shown before returning to the stats box? I feel having the game do this would make the experience more like the "classic mode" from the previous fm's, but at the moment I keep having to click on the pitch button to get back to the match.

Probably something worth raising in our GUI bugs forum here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/299-User-Interface

Can either wwfan or rashidi let me know what the trick is to make your players pay attention to the ball when it's a yard away from them? This is by far the most frustrating issue with the ME for me.

I bet it's not that far from the truth tbh...

I can see that they had a better pass completion and a better tackling completion and took their chances, I would take a wager that most of your's were from long range. But of course, it's all speculation given I can't see the stats.

But take a look at the everton v fulham match... everton completely outplayed them but still only came out with a draw...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/match/2012/nov/03/fulham-v-everton

that's just an example of course.. but you see what I'm saying

The stats are there? :p

Pass completion was us87% Them68% and we had 3 of our nine shots from distance.

We also had 1 ccc and 1 half chance, they had no ccc's and 0 half chances. :brock:

I will second that, I guess if you want to watch football as played by Stoke or England at their worse then by all means go back to the old ME. Yes this ME has some really irritating flaws and yes they can drive you mad, but its apparent that once sorted out it will give much greater variation in styles of play than FM2012.

No offense, but can't you see the obvious bit of irony there yourself?

As for the rest, FM12 was perfectly capable of producing varying styles of football. FM13 may turn out to be even better on that front but at the moment it clearly has much less variety. And on top of that the dominating style of play is out of touch with reality. I also don't see how it is a 'fact' that the 13 ME is better than 12. It may well turn out to be, but what objective arguments can be made for it being ahead of 12.2 at the moment?

Can either wwfan or rashidi let me know what the trick is to make your players pay attention to the ball when it's a yard away from them? This is by far the most frustrating issue with the ME for me.

Exactly. The players simply ignore the ball, and start running to other place. Nobody will convince me that it happens because od "my tactics". This is massive ME bug. I've seen something like that in one of earlier versions of FM (FM11? FM10?).

• Administrators
Demba Ba through on goal, one on one, about 10 yards out..he...passes out wide?

Takes the mick when something like that happens. (happy now, no 'swear' word for you to delete my post for)

Yes thanks :)

Greater variation of play?

Every single team i've played against so far, play flowing Barca like one touch football, how varied is that exactly? oh and how realistic is it?

I almost broke the game engine. I have been trying to break the Match Engine for the past 2 days, saved before an away game against Arsenal away,

So far i came with shots Arsenal = 4 Barcelona 45.

I think i broke the game engine but i want to make it worse before i post it int he tactics forum.

• Administrators

Every single team i've played against so far, play flowing Barca like one touch football, how varied is that exactly? oh and how realistic is it?

Can you please provide examples in our match engine forum so we can use these examples to look into? Forum can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/296-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

Thanks.

PaulC had said that in the update lower league teams will pass less,no idea if they will change the higher rep teams.

It is a change that I will be happy with as my Tonbridge side pass it way to much and ala Barca and I have them set up to play direct.

Archived