Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be reading something into nothing, but it's interesting to see Mourinho described on the official site as 'first team manager' when I seem to remember every preceding manager being described as 'first team coach'. Maybe he's been given the control he was hoping for?

Might be reading something into nothing, but it's interesting to see Mourinho described on the official site as 'first team manager' when I seem to remember every preceding manager being described as 'first team coach'. Maybe he's been given the control he was hoping for?

I noticed that as well, I can't remember who had that title last, I know RDM didn't, I don't think AVB did either, did Carlo? Interesting to see anyway, as it has been First Team Head Coach or something recently. And no interim in sight ;)

I really hope he's here longer term now, he said all the right things in that interview, says he wants to settle down now, that he's finished the "formation stage" of his career, so let's hope that happens and Roman and Jose can live happily ever after. Or at least for a good few years.

Can't say I was the most excited about José's return, but that interview has completely won me over. It's wonderful to read him speaking so passionately about the club, that he pays a little respect to Roberto Di Matteo and Guus Hiddink's achievements, his desire to stick around the club for a while. I'm still hugely doubtful he'll give any young players the chance they deserve, but after the clusterfeck that was the fat Spaniard's tenure, this is nirvana. Really looking forward to the new season now and all the convoluted press conference analogies yet to be coined.

Can't say I was the most excited about José's return, but that interview has completely won me over. It's wonderful to read him speaking so passionately about the club, that he pays a little respect to Roberto Di Matteo and Guus Hiddink's achievements, his desire to stick around the club for a while. I'm still hugely doubtful he'll give any young players the chance they deserve, but after the clusterfeck that was the fat Spaniard's tenure, this is nirvana. Really looking forward to the new season now and all the convoluted press conference analogies yet to be coined.
Cluster****? Really?

He got you back into the Champions League positions and won you the Europa League, despite having to play most of the season with Fernando Torres as the principal striker. I think your prejudice against him clouds your judgement of his achievements.

Yeah, I can imagine Dzeko being pretty beastly with regular starts. City wouldn't sell at anything other than a hyper-inflated price though, and we have already got a strong striker in Lukaku.

Yeah, because it said it in the article......

Its not going to happen, clearly, but i dont think he looked silly by posting a link to a website, no matter how daft the article was.

Agreed

Nothing like as silly as the mug above who called Benitez's tenure a cluster-fk.

I don't think Benny is wrong though, we do have a crazy system with so many football sides down the ladder who have been around for decades and big crowds relatively speaking. I don't think any country is quite like us footballing wise and we shouldn't be bringing B teams into the league, although I'm all for them starting at the very bottom and working their way up.

What would be the process for adding B team to a lower league? Considering each team would add two games to each season, there must be limits on the numbers. There wouldn't be much point for most higher level Premiership clubs in having their reserves play in the Conference leagues or lower, when a decent number of their players would be competitive at League One or the Championship level.

I don't think Benny is wrong though, we do have a crazy system with so many football sides down the ladder who have been around for decades and big crowds relatively speaking. I don't think any country is quite like us footballing wise and we shouldn't be bringing B teams into the league, although I'm all for them starting at the very bottom and working their way up.

Based on what?

• Administrators
What would be the process for adding B team to a lower league? Considering each team would add two games to each season, there must be limits on the numbers. There wouldn't be much point for most higher level Premiership clubs in having their reserves play in the Conference leagues or lower, when a decent number of their players would be competitive at League One or the Championship level.

Without getting into the big debate again, because it never really goes anywhere, I've always been quite an advocate of splitting League Two North and South, adding as many as ten B teams each side (to the 20 clubs most qualified/interested, gauge qualifications by EPPP grades) and having 12+10 on each side for 22 teams, 42 game seasons. One automatic promotion spot from each, one playoff spot promotion from each so you retain the 4 up 4 down between L1 and L2. Relegation is one from each to retain 2 up 2 down, or you can expand it to 2 from each and get 4 up from the BSP if you want to really overhaul things (and maybe placate them if you're going to be chucking a ton of B Teams in above them).

Like I've always said, there's plenty of pros and cons to any idea, and simply presenting a basic proposed structure like I have there doesn't mean I don't recognise those, but it's a starting point for me.

Archived