Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just watched Markovic compilation, he looks excellent player! Great signing for the future.

I am not saying he is a bad player (never seen him before), but you can make anyone look good with a Youtube compilation :D

As I think I've mentioned a coupla times, Lazar Markovic is ours. Partizan's chairman has basically let the cat out of the bag early but he's going to Benfica on loan.
Just watched Markovic compilation, he looks excellent player! Great signing for the future.

Don't get too excited, Sky Sports News have Benfica saying they've signed him permanently on a 5-year deal

Everything that has been said by Jose so far makes me think he wants to stay longer than his four years. Really hope that is true as it would be great to have some stability. Anybody in the know about Kalas? I saw him mentioned in the transcript but us there any indication that he will play a role next year? Also I saw that either Jose/the club wants Omeruo here next year. However I also read he hasn't played enough for Nigeria to qualify for a w/p, so how would that work?

would more than 4 years be advisable though? seems like he succeeded in creating opposition towards his choices for example in Madrid, and it's not like he's known for his long term building potential either. Maybe his management style is not suited for longer term collaberations. True, squads do change a lot over a few years time but relationship with the board of directors also counts.

Can't wait to see him play. Only really seen youtube compilation videos but will be interesting to see how Mourinho fits him in. I suppose realistically he would be like a much much better Marin? With that meaning he would play much much more as well.

• Administrators

I see no reason to complain about the suggestion that Mikel, Lampard, Ramires, De Bruyne, Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Schurrle and Lukaku are amongst whatever squad we have next season. You work out what you do with your squad based on its talent. I don't care to worry about Essien, Marin, Moses, Romeu, whoever else because whilst they've all got their merits, they're a tier of player below that first group and we should always be aspiring to have the better players.

I see no reason to complain about the suggestion that Mikel, Lampard, Ramires, De Bruyne, Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Schurrle and Lukaku are amongst whatever squad we have next season. You work out what you do with your squad based on its talent. I don't care to worry about Essien, Marin, Moses, Romeu, whoever else because whilst they've all got their merits, they're a tier of player below that first group and we should always be aspiring to have the better players.

Agree with this, the more quality players we have the better. I'm confident Jose can manage the squad to the best of its ability, and squad players are great, but if they need to be sacrificed in favour of more quality then so be it.

KdB is playing from the right side in the Belgian national team, but switches a lot from right to central to left with the other midfielders

he himself prefers a central role iirc but yeah he can play from the sides as well as he also has a great cross

Name me 10 DM's better than him in world football. (Pure DM's, so no Vidal, Yaya etc.)

Examples of what you consider a 'pure' DM? Do Bastian Schweinsteiger and Javi Martinez count? Pirlo, De Rossi, Busquets?

I think they could all be classed as defensive midfielders, but you might not necessaily think of them as 'pure' as they have more dimensions to their game, but I don't see why being multifaceted count as a bad thing.

Still don't see the point in Schurrle unless we're planning on selling Moses or someone. He's nowhere near consistent enough to lead our line and with KDB reportedly added to the squad, it'll be impossible to keep everyone happy if we assume he, Moses and KDB will be fighting for the single AM slot alongside Hazard and Mata (who surely must be guaranteed starting XI football). That's assuming Mourinho even uses three AMs to begin with.

Name me 10 DM's better than him in world football. (Pure DM's, so no Vidal, Yaya etc.)

Gustavo

Khedira

Vidal (don't see why he wouldn't count)

Lars Bender

Javi Martinez

Busquets

Sandro

Gundogan

Matuidi

Capoue

Gonalons

Fellaini

And I'm sure I've missed loads. Mikel isn't that good, probably the weakest player in the 11 now.

Examples of what you consider a 'pure' DM? Do Bastian Schweinsteiger and Javi Martinez count? Pirlo, De Rossi, Busquets?

I think they could all be classed as defensive midfielders, but you might not necessaily think of them as 'pure' as they have more dimensions to their game, but I don't see why being multifaceted count as a bad thing.

Nobody's claiming him to be among the best players in the world, but he is nowhere as bad as some of you seem to think. He's a very, very good PL player.

Gustavo

Khedira

Vidal (don't see why he wouldn't count)

Lars Bender

Javi Martinez

Busquets

Sandro

Gundogan

Matuidi

Capoue

Gonalons

Fellaini

And I'm sure I've missed loads. Mikel isn't that good, probably the weakest player in the 11 now.

Again, is he weaker than Torres/Ba?

Don't think Mikel is any worse than Gustavo, Bender, Sandro, Capoue, Gonalons. Fellaini, Vidal, Gundogan aren't exactly in the same mould.

Archived