Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Like I said, I dont think any of them will stay out wide. I think that Rodgers will play a front three which on paper will have two wide, but they will be inside forwards and all three will swap over ala Barca.

But, that is still playing out wide which they will have to get accustomed to, they will play out wide but as inside forwards cutting in from wide

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, that is still playing out wide which they will have to get accustomed to, they will play out wide but as inside forwards cutting in from wide

They won't be wingers as in hogging the touchline they'll be dynamic wingers who cut inside, roam about, always moving, come deep, swap positions and get into the box, Suarez would cause havoc here more than playing the striker role(Danny Graham).

They won't be wingers as in hogging the touchline they'll be dynamic wingers who cut inside, roam about, always moving, come deep, swap positions and get into the box, Suarez would cause havoc here more than playing the striker role(Danny Graham).

Graham's role(the main striker) dosen't include being very alert and always moving, he holds the ball and sometimes comes deep to create chances for the winger, mainly is always around the box or the man closest to goal, a bit like a poacher. Borini would be brilliant in this role as he's fairly creative and is a lethal finisher, whereas Suarez has far more to his game so would suit the inside forward role far better than Borini, Suarez could well be fairly wasted as the main striker where he has far more to give in other areas.

Tbh I think Suarez would be great in the striker role but I think that would mean Borini being out the team.

A Suarez/Borini/Dempsey front three interchanging, cutting inside, dropping deep etc would cause hell for defences. How the hell wouldnt it work? They are capible players of being able to do so. Now, if you asked Andy Carroll to do that role then thats another thing, but you arent. You are asking three players who could easily fit into that system.

Yes, I agree but I remeber Borini when he was at us, prolific in U18 and reserves but I don't think he would make it as a CF at Liverpool. Suarez would be much better as the CF while Borini like we saw at Roma, will probably and should be played as the inside forward

Let's say Liverpool play the 4-3-3 the only role Andy Carrol would perhaps suit is the obviously the main striker role, similar to Danny Graham. He wouldn't get as many crosses as most and would have to do a lot of adjusting to his game to get used to thingsn this summer but I think maybe potentially he could compliment the others nicely.

Interview with Henry if anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.lfctour.com/news/henry-brendan-is-inspirational

"We don't want to put any pressure on Brendan by saying you have got to make the Champions League this year.

"Of course he wants to make the Champions League, we all do and so does every team in the Premier League.

"At this point we're just trying to get things stabilised - that should be one of our goals."

It's not about signing the best player we can get for x amount of money. It's about signing the player who fits the system the best. It's about having a plan and then identifying which players have the attributes which best serve the roles in that plan. Borini fits that, Allen fits that.

It's not about signing the best player we can get for x amount of money. It's about signing the player who fits the system the best. It's about having a plan and then identifying which players have the attributes which best serve the roles in that plan. Borini fits that, Allen fits that.

You seem to have left out that's is also about not paying over the odds on players who just aren't worth the amount of money being quoted. If they want 15million for that player then it's time to look elsewhere, and if we can't get a player from some where else then it's time for Rodgers to do what he's paid for, and manage players. We need to dig our heels in and stop getting the **** taken out of us.

If someone told me Allen was worth £10m I wouldn't bat an eyelid. That's probably about the going rate for a mid-table, 22 year old first team midfielder coming off the back of a great season. Should we pay the extra five? I think so. He fits the system 100%, no tweaking needed, the manager understands him and he understands the manager. I think the transfers of Downing and Carroll have made some of us over-sensitive to paying over the odds. But the two aren't comparable. From how we turned out tactically last season it appears we had no plan for how to use Downing or Carroll, the players were scouted poorly and there was little thought about how essential to whatever system we were trying to play. Because there was no system.

Paying over the odds because that player slots into how you play perfectly is fine imo. The Downing/Carroll transfers were just bad. Even if we got them for £14m/£22m respectively. They didn't fit. That's more important than value.

no one knows **** all about the deal either (even if there is one). is it really 15m? is it broke down in various clauses? are his wages low? whats his agent getting? pointless getting so worked up about these things. i mean if we sign someone for 7m but on high wages is that somehow better than paying 15m with average wages? i'm guilty of it too sometimes but people just look at the price and spazz out instantly these days.

Paying over the odds because that player slots into how you play perfectly is fine imo. The Downing/Carroll transfers were just bad. Even if we got them for £14m/£22m respectively. They didn't fit. That's more important than value.

But we paid way over the odds for a player who was supposed to fit in (Downing), and he did fit, he was just ****, and you're saying you're happy to do this with Allen?

You're pretty much contradicting yourself.

How did he fit? What system did he fit into? I don't think he fit, that's my point. I don't think we even had a defined way of playing last season at all. Our squad was all over the place. Carroll and Downing were just bad transfers. The wrong players to buy, even if we paid what they were worth and not 50-100% more than what they were.

This summer we have a manager with a relevant system/tactical plan. If we find players who perfectly fit a position/role in that system then it is fine to pay over the odds (I'm sure someone can dig up the moneyball quote about paying over market value if they insist on dealing purely in value terms).

-

DP, when you say "winger", you're making me think you mean Bale/Lennon/Valencia-style wingers? We're not playing 4-4-2 though.

Someone like the three you mention will also be excellent on the left/right of a front 3, Bale and Valencia in particular. I want someone with enough skill to make things happen individually, as well as having enough about him to get his head up and pick out a cross, or chip in with some goals.

It sounds like a lot, but its really not. Someone like Narsingh (who has just moved to PSV for 4m euros) or Assaidi from Heerenveen who have had teams looking at them whilst they get rave reviews all last season. Someone like Gaston Ramirez who we were linked to but then denied any interest. A player who will actually excite the fans.

I just don't think wingers like that best serve the system. Especially seeing as we are getting rid of Carroll. Beating full backs and crossing the ball isn't our game next season. To me we want more interchangeable forwards/attacking midfielders who can come inside and play football, are quick thinking and have good technique but also can play along the back line looking for the killer pass. Pedro being the absolute ideal model for that position, I guess.

Getting past the full back and getting early balls across the face of goal works no matter who you have up front. Pulling the ball back at the byline etc. Its something we don't do anything like enough, because we don't have any players capable of doing so besides Suarez.

This tactic is pretty much plan A for sides like Man City and Man Utd. Get it out wide, get a low cross in quickly, score. Its so difficult to defend against.

Agree if you're playing the right way, like Spurs or United with a really high tempo, direct, width based 4-4-2. But City didn't play with wingers last season, and won the league. Their widemen were Silva and Nasri, occasionally Balotelli. None of those are really traditional wingers and we're pushing for more that style than United/Spurs. I really don't think we need an Aaron Lennon-style super-aggressive winger.

Allen looks very small in stature, sprayed a few decent passes but nothing to say "this is going to be a quality signing for Liverpool". Btw, Rodgers sayins Sterling might go on loan, I wonder if BR thinks he is good enough for a lower Prem team

Can come and play league 1 if he wants!

Two impressive bits of play from Allen where he won the ball off Neymar, turned him and won a fk. And then ghosted past a couple of Brazil players with a Xavi-style three point turn.

He looks like he's got closer control, better technique than Henderson. Bit more composed under pressure too.

It is going to be the same situation as Aqualani, Adam, Joe Cole etc. All were good players at their old clubs but put in poor performances for Liverpool. I still like Adam though, think he should be given another chance. Liverpool need to wake up, £15 is stupid. Although RVP is in his final yera of contract and teams are bidding for him £15m, there is no way Allen should even be past the £10m calibre

His first half of the season was good then his passing went off the mark but he is not awful, has that eye for the long range pass. Still remember the game we lost to Liverpool at home and Johnson scored the last min goal, Adam bossed that game from start to finish

one thing i think we discount a lot is that it could be said the squad underperformed last season. now how many points that was worth is anyones guess. but i don't think it is outside the realm of possibility to think that BR could get a lot more out of the squad than kenny. does that make us a top 4 side. very likely not. but maybe it doesn't require flash signings to have us with some sort of look in.

was waiting for allen to impress me all night there and apart from 1 or 2 decent interceptions didnt really impress me again. £15m is a ridiculous price for him right now. tbf he was one of the better players in the first half (along with sturridge) but was largely anonymous in the 2nd and again like ive said before was pretty poor in possession. a few times he hit the ball straight at a brazil player while trying a pass where i was like wtf?? anyone remember hendo and adam doing this last season at anfield and the audible groans they got for it?

But this is where I have my doubts. His movement and finishing ability are good yeah, but they're pretty wasted talents on the right, where he's always looked out of place to me. If he played on the shoulder of the last defender he'd be an absolute beast for some teams, but he'd never be used like that for us.

And yeah, I'm disregarding the opinions of ***** like Sy.

I dunno. He's not a proper winger, but his best moments last season come from when he timed his runs from the wing to the inside right position. And he's capable of going on the outside and crossing. Has set up RvP loads last season by doing just that.

Archived