Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which isn't "wholly buying English" then?

I do get your point completely, but you're not making it very clearly.

"almost wholly buying English based." Is what I said.

Borini basically fits that, he's spent 1 season outside of England since he was 16.

The players we're linked with are no doubt an improvement on what we already have. Walcott would be infinitely better on the right wing compared to our current options. Dempsey would also improve the team. But you feel that instead of looking at players that Rodgers already knows or players in the Premiership, we should be buying some talented people in from abroad as they will represent better value for money.

Jesus, learn to read. English based = based in England. Not English.

I'm not even annoyed or upset at Borini's signing, but its all just really safe and risk free, and all its going to do is preserve our 7th/8th place currently. I want us to turn ourselves around, but imo we look to be taking baby steps towards doing so, and all its doing is making us tread water.

Thats just my take on it so far. I'm not having a go at Rodgers or anything, he's not even had the chance to take charge of us in a match yet. I'm more pissed off with the last 2-3 years, the decisions made by those higher up, and the state of our current squad. So much dead wood, yet the players we've been pursuing this summer aren't much of an upgrade.

barely improved :D Try watching him before jumping to same old brainless rubbish that people come up with.

I know you have a hard-on for Theo. Half of your thread aren't all that arsed whether he stays or goes though from what I've read. The main reason for keeping him is that if he goes its just another player you have to hope Wenger bothers to replace?

Its to early to judge Rodgers to be honest. Even after a season it would be to early to judge. Borini is only 21 and has plenty or years ahead of him. Even if he is looked at as a safe signing, once he develops he could be a fantastic player for us.

Yeah we have a lot of dead wood at the club which need to go, but this isnt a short term fix and it will take time.

Yeah, this is nothing to do with Rodgers. I don't lay any blame at his door. As far as I'm concerned though, we've already blown our best chance of sorting out our slide when we **** the bed and blew everything on Carroll, Downing and co.

Like you say, its going to take us a hell of a long time to turn this around now, and thats whats depressing me about the club. It'll take longer still if we carry on with this idiocy of limiting ourselves to players with experience of the prem, when theres a whole world out there.

You're still just sounding incredibly negative, miserable and angry. It's not just your views, but your attitude and the way your posts are worded are just suddenly so much worse than they ever used to be. I'm not saying everyone should be sunshine, lollipops and rainbows - but you used to post decently well formed opinions, now it's one liners about how **** everything is.

I know you have a hard-on for Theo. Half of your thread aren't all that arsed whether he stays or goes though from what I've read. The main reason for keeping him is that if he goes its just another player you have to hope Wenger bothers to replace?

Im as critical of Theo as the next guy. But I can recognise his quality and for us to lose him now would be tough to take. His movement is really good and he's a very good finisher. He'd do wonders at Liverpool.

Half of our thread are full of negative idiots.

Still Joe Allen makes no sense. Right now we had Lucas with only Spearing as backup in one midfield spot. And then Gerrard, Shelvey, Adam, Henderson, Aquilani, Cole and maybe Suso with sub appearances for the other two midfield spots. For all the stick he got last year, Henderson did a pretty good job as a ball-retention passing midfielder and he's a hard worker as well. What does Allen provide over that? We desperately need another wide player and backups at DM and LB.

You're still just sounding incredibly negative, miserable and angry. It's not just your views, but your attitude and the way your posts are worded are just suddenly so much worse than they ever used to be. I'm not saying everyone should be sunshine, lollipops and rainbows - but you used to post decently well formed opinions, now it's one liners about how **** everything is.

I think I'm just being realistic, whilst theres a lot of over-optimism around. Like every off season as a Liverpool fan. I might be being a little negative, but I'm desperately waiting for a reason to be positive, like trying to sign a player who is slightly above what we've been going for so far. Thats all it will take.

Dont no what most people think of this but if it is £15 that is ridiculous. He had a good season at Swansea but do I reckon he is vastly going to improve Liverpool. Not really IMO, waste of money

I would love to sign a player for 15 quid.

Im as critical of Theo as the next guy. But I can recognise his quality and for us to lose him now would be tough to take. His movement is really good and he's a very good finisher. He'd do wonders at Liverpool.

But this is where I have my doubts. His movement and finishing ability are good yeah, but they're pretty wasted talents on the right, where he's always looked out of place to me. If he played on the shoulder of the last defender he'd be an absolute beast for some teams, but he'd never be used like that for us.

And yeah, I'm disregarding the opinions of ***** like Sy.

Shut up.

Once Downing and Adam go the light shall shine from the liverbird once more. Players who typically I'd identify with Liverpool's average 7th placed seasons are Kuyt, Maxi etc, just not top 4, not even top 6 players. They have now departed. Carroll has really started to perform and if Brendan can find a spot for him somehow he could compliment the players around him and. Bellamy will join CCFC.

A squad of:

Reina

Glenn J

Agger

Skrtel

Enrique

Stevie G

Lucas

Aquaman

Joe C

Henderson

Shelvey

Kelly

Coates

Suarez

Andy

Borini

The rest are younglings e.e Wilson Flanagan or wastemen Spearing

With more wingers and strength in depth this squad can compete.

Still Joe Allen makes no sense. Right now we had Lucas with only Spearing as backup in one midfield spot. And then Gerrard, Shelvey, Adam, Henderson, Aquilani, Cole and maybe Suso with sub appearances for the other two midfield spots. For all the stick he got last year, Henderson did a pretty good job as a ball-retention passing midfielder and he's a hard worker as well. What does Allen provide over that? We desperately need another wide player and backups at DM and LB.

I cant see them all staying to be honest.

First of all, Joe Cole will play wide so he wont be used as a central midfielder at all. I think we will go 4-3-3 with three in the centre of midfield and three forwards interchanging like Barca do.

As for who we currently have, I can see Adam out of all of them leaving. We are heavy on the DLP side of things if you ask me. Put it this way, the definite players to stay are Lucas, Gerrard, Shelvey, Henderson. The rest, your guess is as good as mine.

I can't comment if Joe Allen is a quality player as I have not seen him play much but people seem to dismiss him just because he plays for Swansea or because other top clubs are not coming in for him.

Theo Walcott a very good finisher?

Go watch more football.

I will be very disappointed if we spend good money on Allen when other areas are of more concern. I would understand if we had sold say Aquilani and Adam and had got some money in. But to buy first when we're already overloaded with central midfielders seems a bit daft.

Agree, wingers should be priority and expect them to be coming in considering the success of Sinclair, Dyer, Routledge at Swansea.

I would love to sign a player for 15 quid.

£15m :D but still don't understand it, that is a stupid fee for a player who has only had 1 season in the prem. Is he any better than the likes you have now? I wouldnt say so. Sigurdsson was clearly in a different league to some of them Swansea players with all respect yet Tottenham managed to get him for under £7m. Liverpool should learn from their past transfer history and stop splashing out on adequate/avergae players. I can't but help think that Liverpool are making a stupid mistake here

Sigurdsson different league with Allen??? No he wasn't.

Allen's better than Adam, and form wise far more consistent than Gerrard, can't commnent on Aquilani.

15m is a bit too much but some of you seem to be really underestimating him, if he plays in the Olympics some of you might see what he's about.

Allen was a good player but yes Sigurdsson was. Do you really think if Gylfi was at Liverpool now, Brendan would be pursuing Allen? I don't think so. Allen was brilliant last season I don't deny it but if you had to ask me who I would like to have out the two, it would be Sigurdsson as he has brilliant passing and scores goals yet Tottenham have managed to get him for half the fee Liverpool are reportedly going to buy Allen for.

So we will face either FK Renovo (Macedonia) or FC Gomel (Belarus) in the Third Qualifying Round with Gomel leading 2-0 from the first leg.
Liverpool to face either FK Renova or FC Gomel.

Macedonia or Belarus...

You are welcome.

Sigurdsson was an attacking midfielder or cutting in from the wings, without Joe Allen Sigurdsson more than likely wouldn't have got so many goals. Allen was behind him perfectly in the centre midfield role roaming keeping possession, starting things off, it's not all about scoring goals, Allen is the vital cog in Brendan's philosophy. For value for money of course you'd want Sigurdsson but is there likely to be another player like him for that price, no. Allen really does keep improving as well. Attacking mid wise people like Aqua, Joe Cole or some of you are saying Stevie G would certainly be effective in Gylfi's spot, even Shelvey has demonstrated he can score a lot of goals. In Allen's position you have maybe Henderson who can keep possesion but is nowhere near as dynamic or creative as Allen.

He'd have to adjust, Scott Sinclair, Dyer etc out wide scored a lot of goals for Swansea and I expect Suarez would be doing the same, they're not neccesarily wide players by the touchline but inside forwards, where Gylfi sometimes played last season for them cutting in and scoring a lot of goals from around that area, Suarez would be great here, very skillful, can finish from that angle and can make things happen on his own.

I'm really not a fan of the idea of Suarez being pushed out wide.
He's better outwide. He can't finish consistently.

I dont even think its a case of him playing out wide as I think Rodgers will play a front three which will interchange all the time.

Sigurdsson was an attacking midfielder or cutting in from the wings, without Joe Allen Sigurdsson more than likely wouldn't have got so many goals. Allen was behind him perfectly in the centre midfield role roaming keeping possession, starting things off, it's not all about scoring goals, Allen is the vital cog in Brendan's philosophy. For value for money of course you'd want Sigurdsson but is there likely to be another player like him for that price, no. Allen really does keep improving as well. Attacking mid wise people like Aqua, Joe Cole or some of you are saying Stevie G would certainly be effective in Gylfi's spot, even Shelvey has demonstrated he can score a lot of goals. In Allen's position you have maybe Henderson who can keep possesion but is nowhere near as dynamic or creative as Allen.

Your point seems valid I take that, but I still think although Allen was a quality player there, Swansea must be laughing at Rodgers the fact he has made a £15 offer for him, maybe that is part of his way to payback Swansea for leaving them :lol:

Your point seems valid I take that, but I still think although Allen was a quality player there, Swansea must be laughing at Rodgers the fact he has made a £15 offer for him, maybe that is part of his way to payback Swansea for leaving them :lol:

Considering 8m was paid for Adam and 25.6m was paid for Anderson, Allen for 15m considering his potential isn't as bad as most are saying, think it's just fear of a repeat of Downing etc. At the end of the day Liverpool seem to do all they could to get Gylfi but he went to Spurs, on to the next target, and I don't see an inside forward/attacking mid going as cheap as Sigurdsson, besides Suarez would be a great inside forward.

Borini will be out wide if anything, not Suarez. If Liverpool get Dempsey as well, Sterling should go out on loan IMO to a team like Swansea, Blackpool etc as although I think he will excel under BR he may find first team games hard this season IMO

Like I said, I dont think any of them will stay out wide. I think that Rodgers will play a front three which on paper will have two wide, but they will be inside forwards and all three will swap over ala Barca.

I hope he starts doing it here as well.

In fairness its not like he did that badly last season. 17 goals despite missing 2 months of play. Our biggest problem was that after him there was nobody else. Far too much responsibility on his shoulders.

He's scored 3 hat-tricks during the summer too iirc, for Uruguay and in an exhibition or two.

Archived