Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

But that is exactly what I am asking. I have 3 striker players. Is it better to play them in AML and AMR positions for 41221 or should I try to create a 433 tactic ? Or to rephrase it, would playing them in positions awkward for them hinder success of the tactic too much ?

If they have no proficiency at AML/AMR they probably will struggle there, they may additionally become unhappy at playing out of position (based on personality). However, if their attributes are great for playing there then they should be able to do a job, training them to be able to play in that position is probably still a good idea though.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do some players never get picked up on free transfer? I just picked up Jeffrey Sarpong 2nd season. He is cheap and has decent talent, ive been following since the start of the save but never saw any club being interested. I've noticed this with decent players who didnt get a new contract after 1 or more seasons too. Is this something not working in the engine? Not really gamebreaking just curious.

Ps he wasnt injured.

Question 2:

I play a 41221 counter tactic. Short passing, when I use the play thru ball shout two things happen:

- my players chip instead of giving flat passes, even over 5 meter distance with a clear path,

- my wingers start heading over-the-top passes to the centre of the pitch, useless and unrealistic. They should just controll the passes even if theyre a bit high.

Why does this happen? Its so ****ing annoying to see throughball opportunities like that wasted over and over again.

Why do some players never get picked up on free transfer? I just picked up Jeffrey Sarpong 2nd season. He is cheap and has decent talent, ive been following since the start of the save but never saw any club being interested. I've noticed this with decent players who didnt get a new contract after 1 or more seasons too. Is this something not working in the engine? Not really gamebreaking just curious.

Ps he wasnt injured.

Question 2:

I play a 41221 counter tactic. Short passing, when I use the play thru ball shout two things happen:

- my players chip instead of giving flat passes, even over 5 meter distance with a clear path,

- my wingers start heading over-the-top passes to the centre of the pitch, useless and unrealistic. They should just controll the passes even if theyre a bit high.

Why does this happen? Its so ****ing annoying to see throughball opportunities like that wasted over and over again.

1) Could be a bug in the game but more likely it's just a player that got overlooked is all, maybe he always asked for too much money when clubs sniffed around, maybe it's something to do with agents. Not sure how in-depth the game gets with transfer mechanics of free agents to other clubs but it's probably just one of those things. Players do become ex-players to pursue a different career, even if they are good, so it kind of simulates that (although this is almost certainly unintentional and requires a stretch of the imagination).

2) Probably just their decision-making (or could be that the flat through ball that you are seeing isn't quite indicative of a good pass, sometimes the positioning of the match engine is not as tight as the stuff the underneath i.e. the rendering is sometimes - rarely - different to what is actually happening. It's why we use to see players spin around, it wasnt that they were spinning, just the visual representation of a player struggling to make a decision). When playing a through ball the passing length tends to get ignored in favour of playing the through ball, its then up to the player what type of through ball (lobbed or flat, or curled or whatever) they play. A 5 meter lateral flat pass isn't a through ball.

I have seen way too many times where my WB/ FB is tracking back with the opposition winger and suddenly he moves away and the central defender moves in to track the winger. It almost always ends up with a cross as the winger gets so much space between this swap. Not to mention I lose my CD header clearance power just running behind the winger.

Why does this happen ? zonal marking ?

I have seen way too many times where my WB/ FB is tracking back with the opposition winger and suddenly he moves away and the central defender moves in to track the winger. It almost always ends up with a cross as the winger gets so much space between this swap. Not to mention I lose my CD header clearance power just running behind the winger.

Why does this happen ? zonal marking ?

The downside of zonal marking yeah.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to play possession football in England in the rain?

i currently have a possession tactic (4-5-1, short passing, more creativity, more roaming with the shouts retain possession and pass into space) and i remember reading somewhere that if the weather is bad (ala the UK from August to June), then short passing won't be as successful as the ball will get stuck in the mud.

Is this the start and finish of those tactics in England then? Or, will someone who has a high passing and technique attributes be able to compensate for the awful 'weather' we get on a daily basis on these shores?

Or, is the idea to keep the passing short in the tactic but lengthen the range of passing with a shout i.e. get ball forward?

Haven't read this whole thing, so this is quite possibly something that has been dealt with before, but anyways...

I have decided to try to develop a team that plays fast paced "pass and move" football. Usually I go for a cautious build-up, or a fast counter attacking football, but now I wanted to try and create a team that pressures high but still plays fast football when they win the ball (kind of like ze germans in the CL final). Anyways, the players I have right now are probably not going to be able to do this very well, so I will have to slowly build a team that can, so now I'm wondering which attributes to focus on when signing/developing players.

As I see it, there are two major parts to the ability to play pass-and-move, and they require slightly different skill sets;

Pass: to be able to quickly spot a pass and deliver it before you loose the ball, you need to have good

- anticipation?

- creativity? (maybe these passes are "too simple" to need creativity?)

- flair?

- technique

- passing

- first touch (the time aspect)

- agility?

- decisions

- composure

- anything else?

Move: to spot where to run when you've passed the ball, you need:

- anticipation

- off the ball

- agility

- acceleration

- teamwork

- work rate

- creativity?

- flair?

- anything else?

Which of these attributes are essential, and which can I be less demanding on? I'm managing a smallish club, so I can't sign the best players in the world... yet :D

Anyone have any thoughts on how to play possession football in England in the rain?

i currently have a possession tactic (4-5-1, short passing, more creativity, more roaming with the shouts retain possession and pass into space) and i remember reading somewhere that if the weather is bad (ala the UK from August to June), then short passing won't be as successful as the ball will get stuck in the mud.

Is this the start and finish of those tactics in England then? Or, will someone who has a high passing and technique attributes be able to compensate for the awful 'weather' we get on a daily basis on these shores?

Or, is the idea to keep the passing short in the tactic but lengthen the range of passing with a shout i.e. get ball forward?

The pitches in the Premiership rarely get that bad but things get noticeable 'slippy' in the rain in FM and with the ball skidding more than usual passing and, more importantly, control becomes more difficult.

However, through balls can become more effective and as you have plenty of creativity you should have the personnel to exploit this anyway (so long as you also have some quicker guys good off-the-ball who can get on the end of things).

Upping the passing length a little won't inhibit your team from possession stuff, it just generally means that you are more 'dangerous', as in, if there is a riskier through ball/longer pass on your guys won't be restricted from playing it, however, if they are smart and good technically they won't necessarily take that riskier option (particularly with a lower mentality). I've played counter (counter attack unticked) with slightly above middle passing length and controlled over 60% of the possession against weaker, more direct teams.

Oh, just saw you were already using pass into space. This shout increases through balls so isn't naturally suited to a possession game anyway. You might not notice too many of them because you're playing narrower (retain possession) so the angles are less 'favourable' for through balls and if you're chosen 'possession-y' roles for your players you may not have too many making runs asking for through balls.

Haven't read this whole thing, so this is quite possibly something that has been dealt with before, but anyways...

I have decided to try to develop a team that plays fast paced "pass and move" football. Usually I go for a cautious build-up, or a fast counter attacking football, but now I wanted to try and create a team that pressures high but still plays fast football when they win the ball (kind of like ze germans in the CL final). Anyways, the players I have right now are probably not going to be able to do this very well, so I will have to slowly build a team that can, so now I'm wondering which attributes to focus on when signing/developing players.

As I see it, there are two major parts to the ability to play pass-and-move, and they require slightly different skill sets;

Pass: to be able to quickly spot a pass and deliver it before you loose the ball, you need to have good

- anticipation?

- flair?

- technique

- passing

- agility?

- decisions

- composure

- anything else?

- anticipation

- off the ball

- agility

- acceleration

- teamwork

- work rate

- creativity?

- flair?

- anything else?

Which of these attributes are essential, and which can I be less demanding on? I'm managing a smallish club, so I can't sign the best players in the world... yet :D

Definitely stamina for the moving part of things.

Creativity is probably key too because it increases the options players can see and if you are playing quickly they are under pressure to make quick, good decisions so creativity to see everything and decisions to use the right option are important. Also, technique really comes into its own when playing under pressure (i.e. quicker in tight spaces against good defences).

- anticipation?

- flair?

- technique

- passing

- agility?

- decisions

- composure

- anything else?

- anticipation

- off the ball

- agility

- acceleration

- teamwork

- work rate

- creativity?

- flair?

- anything else?

I want to make the same kind of tactic, and I'm managing Real Sociedad.

Important attributes (imo) are creativity, technique, passing and decision for the passing. For the "move" thing, off the ball seems like a must for me, teamwork and work rate need to be good too. At least >12-13. And stamina off course.

I'm in august 2012 in my save, and I have to say that players I bought weren't bought for this really. I bought players I need to make the team stronger. So I'll buy players for the tactic later ..

For the tactic, here's how I set up:

xjql.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I didn't touch any sliders in player's instruction except Long shot to rarely.

I only played one game with it, a 2-2 draw against Espanyol. They scored from trough ball. Twice.

I scored from a counter attack, which was very nice. And the other goal came from one of their defender giving the ball to my striker thanks to my forwards pressing.

Here are the game stats:

xzcn.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not a really bad performance, but I expect better results.. Any advice or feedback are appreciate.

(I'm french, sorry for any mistake)

2 questions regarding tutoring:

-How long does it take for tutoring to become available to a senior player again?

One of my players has tutoring greyed out since April - the game month is now July - and it says this topic has been used recently.

He's not tutoring anyone right now and he's not learning a preferred move.

-I have 2 players, one is a senior and the other 18y/o, the senior one has continental rep. and is considered a key player,

the younger one a national rep. and a rotation option, they're both natural center backs. The younger one doesn't appear on the senior player's tutoring list.

Complete noob question:

I'm just after getting into FM - I've started with 2012, on a friends reccommendation. The last time I played a footy management sim it was CM 99-00 - so please forgive me if my question relating to something that has been a part of the series for a while now. I've kinda got my head around how much data there actually is in the game, and I'm starting to really appreciate the mechanics of the game. There's just one thing that's bothering me:

I'm curious about what the light blue and dark blue bar charts in the Training (Overview Tab) section of FM2012 represent. I've scoured the net for an explanation, to no avail. I see that the light blue bars correspond to the ammount of players on light training in the corresponding category, and the same for the dark blue ones - I just fail to see how it all corresponds to workload/effictiveness. Is this valuable information I'm missing out on. Unless I'm missing something it's either very complex or really arbitrary. All I'm left with is my instinctive, uncontrollable dissemination of the meaning of colours. The vagueness is driving me nuts!

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/attac...d-training.jpg

Anyway, if anyone can shed any light on this gobbledy goop I'd really appreciate it - poorly explained graphs are my nightmare. Also, apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

Cheers.

I'm looking to get back to basics after a string of unsuccessful saves starting with the defence. I checked the links page and scoured around but I can't find a good thread on how to set up a defensive unit. The closest I've got is a couple of threads on Mourinho.

The pitches in the Premiership rarely get that bad but things get noticeable 'slippy' in the rain in FM and with the ball skidding more than usual passing and, more importantly, control becomes more difficult.

However, through balls can become more effective and as you have plenty of creativity you should have the personnel to exploit this anyway (so long as you also have some quicker guys good off-the-ball who can get on the end of things).

Upping the passing length a little won't inhibit your team from possession stuff, it just generally means that you are more 'dangerous', as in, if there is a riskier through ball/longer pass on your guys won't be restricted from playing it, however, if they are smart and good technically they won't necessarily take that riskier option (particularly with a lower mentality). I've played counter (counter attack unticked) with slightly above middle passing length and controlled over 60% of the possession against weaker, more direct teams.

Oh, just saw you were already using pass into space. This shout increases through balls so isn't naturally suited to a possession game anyway. You might not notice too many of them because you're playing narrower (retain possession) so the angles are less 'favourable' for through balls and if you're chosen 'possession-y' roles for your players you may not have too many making runs asking for through balls.

Alright, so while it does matter, it only matters a lot in a lower standard of league with/or a lower standard of player?

Thanks Furious

Alright, so while it does matter, it only matters a lot in a lower standard of league with/or a lower standard of player?

Thanks Furious

Yeah, but remember that you should still make changes for the weather. I normally forget to, and sometimes get caught out, but there are plenty of guys/gals around here that really consider paying attention to the weather to be beneficial. Similarly, too high tempo in hot weather can be difficult.

More basic questions please. How do I play these two ? Playing blackburn my best players are rhodes and rochina. They both have terrible Ppm.

Rochina is worst who comes deep, rwb and shoot long as ppm. He also has poor decision and teamwork. He just takes the ball and takes pot shots at goal and always misses.

Rhodes has back to goals as ppm. What's a good role for him.

2. Also, I have heard some people mention they asked their xyz player to mark a certain opposition player. How do you do that ? The only place is I see is selecting always in opposition instructions but you can never choose a certain player from your team.

Is it just by looking at the zone and seeing which player will end up marking ?

3. Has anyone able to make a 4-1-2-1-2 work ? The diamond has no width and I get slaughtered on the wings.

More basic questions please. How do I play these two ? Playing blackburn my best players are rhodes and rochina. They both have terrible Ppm.

Rochina is worst who comes deep, rwb and shoot long as ppm. He also has poor decision and teamwork. He just takes the ball and takes pot shots at goal and always misses.

Maybe you like to screenshot both players attributes so that people can give better advice.

As for your 2nd question on marking, to man-mark a certain play, you can only set it during pre-match, the screen where you give your pre-match teamtalks. Go to your tactics screen, under marking(man, zonal and specific, 1 where you choose), you should be able to set it from there.

Q. My FBs are coming in tight to join in with the CBs while an opposing winger has space to move into. I want him to say wide and handle threats around the danger area ( where winger is getting space)

Do i change him to a man-marking instruction, or raise his marking area (whole pitch ) , or widen my formation ? ie, What do i do ?

1. I play a wide 4-4-2 with wingers, a poacher and DLF. A succesful partnership, but i realized i am easily shut out by teams when their CBs are able to tackle my forwards as soon as they receive the ball. In a recent 0 - 0 game my forwards were closed down as soon as they received the ball, and had to snatch at shots.

Problem : want forwards to receive ball away from CBs. either in front of, or on to ( in behind)

assuming i have payers capable, what changes should i make ?

Q. My FBs are coming in tight to join in with the CBs while an opposing winger has space to move into. I want him to say wide and handle threats around the danger area ( where winger is getting space)

Do i change him to a man-marking instruction, or raise his marking area (whole pitch ) , or widen my formation ? ie, What do i do ?

Depends on what his current settings are and what formation you play. As a rule the FB's do tend to stay wide rather than coming inside to help the CB's so I'm wondering how you are set up?

1. I play a wide 4-4-2 with wingers, a poacher and DLF. A succesful partnership, but i realized i am easily shut out by teams when their CBs are able to tackle my forwards as soon as they receive the ball. In a recent 0 - 0 game my forwards were closed down as soon as they received the ball, and had to snatch at shots.

Problem : want forwards to receive ball away from CBs. either in front of, or on to ( in behind)

Use the pass into space shout which increases through balls meaning the players will try and run onto the ball rather than receiving it at their feet.

Hi there.

I want my team to play high up the pitch, with non-stop attack on the opposition team.

However, although I seem to dominate games in terms of both possession and shots, a lot of my shots are silly shots from long range (which is very annoying).

My midfield dominates possession, but there seems to be a lack of off the ball forward runs, so my advanced PM does not have a lot of options, and seems to often either pass it backwards or just hit a long shot.

This is how I am set up:

yHH3Ckm.jpg?1

The idea was that the wingbacks get forward, stretching the opposition defence, allowing space for the 3 AM's to work in and the poacher.

The anchor man keeps things steady at the back, with the DLP supporting the AM's.

The tactic does work well, I don't concede a lot with the opposition having very little shots and as I say, I have a lot of possession.

It is in the attack that I am suffering. What should I try out guys ?

I have seen this too. In fact in case of wingbacks it is so bad that I think its a game breaking bug. If a player comes in the central area the wingback will leave the winger with the ball and rush to close down that incoming midfield player.

This is probably another reason why DW work better than WB.

Hi there.

I want my team to play high up the pitch, with non-stop attack on the opposition team.

However, although I seem to dominate games in terms of both possession and shots, a lot of my shots are silly shots from long range (which is very annoying).

My midfield dominates possession, but there seems to be a lack of off the ball forward runs, so my advanced PM does not have a lot of options, and seems to often either pass it backwards or just hit a long shot.

This is how I am set up:

yHH3Ckm.jpg?1

The idea was that the wingbacks get forward, stretching the opposition defence, allowing space for the 3 AM's to work in and the poacher.

The anchor man keeps things steady at the back, with the DLP supporting the AM's.

The tactic does work well, I don't concede a lot with the opposition having very little shots and as I say, I have a lot of possession.

It is in the attack that I am suffering. What should I try out guys ?

Any help here guys ? Coming into the pre season, so I want to make some changes, signings etc soon.

Could you say what roles your AMC's are on? I can't read them from the screenshots and it sounds like a combo of not enough forward runs from the midfielders and/or not enough movement from the forward to create space.

Both of your strikers have roaming set to "no" in their instructions, this means they'll stay in their position (roughly the width of the penalty area) and be easy to mark by both centrebacks. Either manually allow them to roam or give them a role that does and they'll drift around more, either giving them space to receive the ball or forcing the opposition centreback to leave his position, thus creating space for your other strikers and/or midfielders.

Could you say what roles your AMC's are on? I can't read them from the screenshots and it sounds like a combo of not enough forward runs from the midfielders and/or not enough movement from the forward to create space.

Open it in a new tab to see better mate.

Advanced Playmaker, support through the middle, and two Attacking mids with Attack on either side of him. Poacher up front.

Question, if I set individual player instructions myself will my shouts and team instructions still have bearing on what happens? I know that shouts change player instructions like closing down and all that but I have the player instructions set and the boxes ticked obviously there's no change to the actual player instructions. Will the shouts still have an impact? Should I not set my own player instructions?

Question, if I set individual player instructions myself will my shouts and team instructions still have bearing on what happens? I know that shouts change player instructions like closing down and all that but I have the player instructions set and the boxes ticked obviously there's no change to the actual player instructions. Will the shouts still have an impact? Should I not set my own player instructions?

If you set your own player instructions, shouts will not work. For eg, you ask a player to take long shot but use the work the ball into box shout, it will not work.

Into the pre season now, a lot of staff have left as well as players, so a slight rebuild is needed!

I have £32m to spend, and I already have a wealth of midfield players and three good strikers, so unless I need to change my formation to include wide players, then all I need to buy is backup!

That was my downfall last season, not having a big enough squad (well I had players, but they did not fit my way of playing). I only really had a starting 11 and a subs bench!

Any help for producing an attacking tactic with no wide players? I want to make use of my superb attacking mids!

You could try a Narrow 4-2-3-1 with 3 Amcs.

Will give it a try. What roles would you recommend I put the 3 Amc's?

Going to try three different tactics in pre season and see what works.

Really want one which takes advantage of midfield players, playing through the middle!

Hi Gents, I have two "stupid" questions if I may!

1. How important is star rating to a role? If I have an wide player who has a 4* rating as an inside forward and only 2 1/2* as a winger but has all the attributes to play as a winger would I still be better off playing him as in inside forward?

2. Is it possible to stop your strikers shooting from far out on the break? I often create chances over the top but my strikers seem to stop outside the box and attempt to shoot when they could easily carry on and create a better opportunity.

Hi Gents, I have two "stupid" questions if I may!

1. How important is star rating to a role? If I have an wide player who has a 4* rating as an inside forward and only 2 1/2* as a winger but has all the attributes to play as a winger would I still be better off playing him as in inside forward?

2. Is it possible to stop your strikers shooting from far out on the break? I often create chances over the top but my strikers seem to stop outside the box and attempt to shoot when they could easily carry on and create a better opportunity.

1) I would look at the attributes to decide a player's role.

2) Maybe he has not support, too much creativity/flair. Or maybe you can choose a role that makes him do more. Eg, adv forward to rwb more or cf that makes him pass more.

I have a very successful save with Blackburn (won CL and PL last season) and the way I started out was to play Rhodes as a DLF-s and Rochina as a poacher in a 442.

However after a season or two I sold Rochina and switched to a single striker formation (4231 and 41221) and used Rhodes as a CF-s. He was a great striker for me and usually lead the team in goals and assists. I eventually sold him for a younger and better version (after 4 seasons or so.

I think if I start a thread with this question it will get removed so I'll ask it here:-

Has anyone managed to create/download a tactic that allows you to win the Premier League in the first season as Liverpool?

It's something I haven't seen this year. I've seen screenshots of people winning the league with lots of smaller teams but not Liverpool. Every time I play as LFC I do awful. Can anyone recommend a tactic for them?

I've tried Brobs but it didn't do much for me.

1) I would look at the attributes to decide a player's role.

2) Maybe he has not support, too much creativity/flair. Or maybe you can choose a role that makes him do more. Eg, adv forward to rwb more or cf that makes him pass more.

So to what purpose are the stars? I'm not being difficult I find they have added another layer of complexity to the game in that I'm forever looking past players that have poor star ratings for a role but the attributes to play the role.

I think I've explained this issue poorly but you still may have given me the answer! I don't want him to stop and create chances or stop and shoot I want him to continue running towards goal and shoot closer in. If you imagine an imaginary line around 20 yards out they seem to shoot from there, I wanted to know if I could push this imaginary line back to say 16 yards and have them shoot from there. I've no issue with him deciding to shoot it's the best option I just think he could shoot from closer to goal.

Thanks for your help though.

I have a read a number of posts that advise players to avoid sliders, but I would like to know if that meant that people do not utilize the boxes under the individual tactics screen as well. For example, I am currently playing with both of my CBs with the tight marking option activiated, my TM with hold up play on, etc. Would forum members suggest skipping out on these commands as well?

I was also operating under the assumption that under the TC screen, it is OK if you plan to utilize say a AM as a playmaker, you tick that box, etc. Am I correct?

Thanks

I have a read a number of posts that advise players to avoid sliders, but I would like to know if that meant that people do not utilize the boxes under the individual tactics screen as well. For example, I am currently playing with both of my CBs with the tight marking option activiated, my TM with hold up play on, etc. Would forum members suggest skipping out on these commands as well?

I was also operating under the assumption that under the TC screen, it is OK if you plan to utilize say a AM as a playmaker, you tick that box, etc. Am I correct?

Thanks

Yes this would be fine, You're not fundamentally changing what they do with the boxes you're ticking.