Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Where do you select man vs zonal marking nowadays?
Zonal is default now. For specific man marking you do it on the pre match screens via the individual player shouts. It'll say 'Specific man marking' or something similar and only appears once the match line ups have been submitted etc.

I juts want to add a quote of Tony Fallows regarding the man marking issue:

To be clear, the 'Mark Specific Player' is not intended to instruct your team simply to mark man for man. It is intended to do a hatchet job on an opposition player (e.g. Lucas Leiva, I want you to follow Ozil round the pitch for the entire game) etc. that's where a lot of the problems are arising from becuase as you can see CBs are not the ideal candidates for this.

The 'Mark Specific Player' setting is, as I've described above, a setting essentially reserved for taking an opposition player out of the game.

However, it seems clear that this instruction is not working 100% correctly either.

It's worth reading these 2 threads:

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be your players rather than your tactics: do your opponents have more players that are good set piece targets (i.e. high strength/jumping/heading/anticipation etc) than you do? If so, it doesn't really matter what instructions you set, they're still going to have someone available for the set piece taker to aim at. I like to have 4 good set piece target players in my team: 2 DCs, 1 up front (I usually play a TM), and either one in midfield, or a 3rd DC depending on whether I'm playing 3 at the back or 4. For the DCs and TM, the attributes that make them good for the role tend to make them good set piece targets automatically; for the midfielder, you need to consider the additional attributes separately when deciding on your line up.

In my current save, with default defending and attacking set piece instructions, I've conceded 5 from corners and IFKs combined in 33 league matches, and scored 16. Admittedly, I'm playing as Rangers, so have a much better team than everyone else in the division, meaning that some or all of that difference is almost certainly due to having more corners/IFKs than my opponents.

I manage in N.Ireland Div 2 so everyone stats are pretty much awful no class players i have 5 start rated players with no stats over 10 such a poor standard.

Just looking for to plug the hole up a bit as the opposition is scoring a lot against me. I'm scoring a few with default too but the conceding is driving me insane!

I explained this in the other thread you said you read :D

I go Fitness for 7 days then team cohesion but it depends on what you need, you don't always need team cohesion if you've not signed any players etc.

But what do you train for the rest of the year after tactics and cohesion is sorted out?

But what do you train for the rest of the year after tactics and cohesion is sorted out?

If those are maxed out, your match training has done much of its purpose, so be glad it did!

What I do in that case is dropping the match training to a minimum and try to assess the opposition I'm meeting. If I'm much better, I don't bother: team cohesion most likely, if I'm worse defensive positioning, if I'm slightly better, Attacking movement, ...

The standard situations depend upon specific weaknesses/strengths of the opposition: if they score/concede a lot of goals from them, I use this to my advantage. When there's an important match coming up: I do whatever is most logical in my situation at that point.

If those are maxed out, your match training has done much of its purpose, so be glad it did!

What I do in that case is dropping the match training to a minimum and try to assess the opposition I'm meeting. If I'm much better, I don't bother: team cohesion most likely, if I'm worse defensive positioning, if I'm slightly better, Attacking movement, ...

The standard situations depend upon specific weaknesses/strengths of the opposition: if they score/concede a lot of goals from them, I use this to my advantage. When there's an important match coming up: I do whatever is most logical in my situation at that point.

Thank you, but this question was about general training after cohesion is achieved, not match training. There's ball control, fitness, attacking, balanced etc. If team cohesion is good and tactics doesn't actually improve tactics familiarity, it looks to me like you might as well go with Balanced because any difference in attribute improvement is going to be minute?

Thank you, but this question was about general training after cohesion is achieved, not match training. There's ball control, fitness, attacking, balanced etc. If team cohesion is good and tactics doesn't actually improve tactics familiarity, it looks to me like you might as well go with Balanced because any difference in attribute improvement is going to be minute?

Read Cleons guides if you want any advice on this. Basically, you'll have the option between a lot of general training or a lot of individual training. If you choose individual, you'll have to select individual training for you rplayers manually and with consideration of how you want to play them in the future, otherwise, you'll have to have a squad with no real flaws in the individual players. This is just really basic though.

It's all explained here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375145-The-Santos-Project-Tactical-and-Player-Development :)

Not sure if this is the right place or not:o

I'm trying to understand what U18 and U21 managers do. Because I just set my assistant to manage those teams. What am I missing out on?

I also don't understand (and therefore don't have) a Head of Youth Recruitment. What would one of them do for me?

Not sure if this is the right place or not:o

I'm trying to understand what U18 and U21 managers do. Because I just set my assistant to manage those teams. What am I missing out on?

I also don't understand (and therefore don't have) a Head of Youth Recruitment. What would one of them do for me?

Head of Youth Development is responsible for essentially finding the players that come into the team through your youth intake every year. It helps if he has high attributes for Determination, Discipline, Motivation, as well as a good personality (because there's a chance that personality could rub off on your players). Also believe it helps for him to be good at Judging Ability and Judging Potential, as well as Working with Youngsters and he can also help coach your youth team. You youth intake could also have players from his nation in it.

IMO the most important member of any staff.

Can anyone help with instructions for Corners and Free kicks, both attacking and defending. I am finding I concede a fair few from both and hardly score from any myself.. Or point me in the direction of such a thread that will help me..

My current formation is 4 - 2 (cm) - 3 (2x IF and AM) and CF..

Thanks in advance :)

ok guy here's my problem...

I have played a successful basic 4-4-2 formation with attacking philosophy for a season and a half now, winning promotion and sitting top of the table at the midpoint of this season...

However all of a sudden out of the last 6 games, I have lost/drawn from being in a winning position by +2 goals or more. Now i understand that playing attacking football etc away from home and I should probably create a counter tactic, that's not what I'm after...

What I want to know is basically - has the ME figured my tactic out? I've never experienced so many 'comebacks' in any FM before...I really don't mind the odd one, makes the game more interesting...but 4 out of 6 against second bottom and bottom of the league when I was top. Do i need to wipe the slate clean and start again? I try and change it up during the game going from 'attacking' to 'control' so that I am wary of counter attacks but it's as if the ME just does whatever it wants to override it - I know it's coming, I even switch to counter aswell to try and nullify it but nothing works, its as if the ME is hell bent on winning the game.

Should I rip up my tactics and start again afresh? Thanks in advance for your input.

ok guy here's my problem...

I have played a successful basic 4-4-2 formation with attacking philosophy for a season and a half now, winning promotion and sitting top of the table at the midpoint of this season...

However all of a sudden out of the last 6 games, I have lost/drawn from being in a winning position by +2 goals or more. Now i understand that playing attacking football etc away from home and I should probably create a counter tactic, that's not what I'm after...

What I want to know is basically - has the ME figured my tactic out? I've never experienced so many 'comebacks' in any FM before...I really don't mind the odd one, makes the game more interesting...but 4 out of 6 against second bottom and bottom of the league when I was top. Do i need to wipe the slate clean and start again? I try and change it up during the game going from 'attacking' to 'control' so that I am wary of counter attacks but it's as if the ME just does whatever it wants to override it - I know it's coming, I even switch to counter aswell to try and nullify it but nothing works, its as if the ME is hell bent on winning the game.

Should I rip up my tactics and start again afresh? Thanks in advance for your input.

Your assumption might be right...

It is wise to occasionally switch formations. A 4-4-2 can be difficult to morph in something else, but try and see if maybe 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 is an option with your players, get your team familiar with that formation, and try to switch it up every once in a while.

I believe it is indeed due to AI "figuring" out your tactic. And if you switch it up, this can be prevented.

Your assumption might be right...

It is wise to occasionally switch formations. A 4-4-2 can be difficult to morph in something else, but try and see if maybe 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 is an option with your players, get your team familiar with that formation, and try to switch it up every once in a while.

I believe it is indeed due to AI "figuring" out your tactic. And if you switch it up, this can be prevented.

I noticed that all goals I was conceding when the computer countered me was because my full backs were slightly too far forward, they were set them to automatic, so i changed them to defend and won the next 3 games, perhaps its not the actual formation lay out you need to change but rather the roles.... something to think about anyway. Nothing to do with the fact i'm massively overacheiving anyway :lol:

I'm going to try to get an answer to this without opening a new thread.

This is my tactic, and I'd like your opinion what's wrong with it. The movement seems nice, the combination play looks ok, but I have a ridiculous amount of long shots every match so it leads me to conclusion something is wrong with it.

I thought at first that IFs are getting into space BBM and AP are stepping up into so I switched them to Wa-Ws combination and it looks a bit better, but still far too many long shots, which equals dropped points.

19qu5d.png

Was wondering if someone could help me with some issues I am having with regards to passing out from the back;

1. Goalkeeper too hasty to get rid of the ball: This is a really annoying problem, will be playing it around nicely, run out of forward passes so look to go back to the keeper (good, I want that to happen), but when the keeper gets it he too often plays a pass back to the defenders straight away, or hoofs it long because there isn't a short passing option. What I want him to do is hold on to it for 4-5 seconds to allow my outfield players to reset their positioning and offer an easy pass for the goalkeeper. [Was an easy fix in FM13 by ticking 'Hold Ball Up' on keeper, but can't find that option , if it exists on FM14].

2. Defensive midfielders and defenders standing on top of each other at goal kicks... this used to happen in FM13 as well and I find it incredibly annoying, it makes playing with DMr/DMl a lot less attractive imo.

Is there still no way to train bravery?

Any way to increase aggression?

Thanks.

Still no way, although they can change through some events in FM, possibly tutor related (although I dont think its a straight-forward process). Having said that, I'm not sure I've ever noticed these attributes ever change, although I wouldn't of been looking for it.

Still no way, although they can change through some events in FM, possibly tutor related (although I dont think its a straight-forward process). Having said that, I'm not sure I've ever noticed these attributes ever change, although I wouldn't of been looking for it.

Had a couple of little questions that I didn't think deserved their own threads so I'll put them here:

1) In a formation with 1 CM and 1 DM, do you leave them both central or stagger them left/right? Maybe this would depend on roles and roaming instructions?

2) Have people noticed that drilled crosses are much more successful than floated crosses, or is this my imagination? I'm considering setting "drill crosses" across the board but I'm not sure if this is worthwhile.

Yes Match Fitness, sorry I didn't know the original name in english. So, condition is a general value and match fitness is the player's condition to next match ?

Condition is essentially how tired the player is right now. It's what you see dropping (from say the 90s to the 70s or 60s) during a match itself.

Match Fitness is how "in shape" the player is, generally. This will affect things like how quickly they can recover from matches.

Let me offer an example. Let's say we have two brothers. One is a couch potato and his idea of exercise is walking down to the pub once or twice a week. We'll call him "Fatty". The other brother is an accomplished triathlete who works out a minimum of 3 hours a day. We'll call him "Smarmy".

Now, let's say we take Fatty & Smarmy down to the park on a Sunday to play some football with the local amateur team. Unless Smarmy already worked out this morning, both Fatty & Smarmy will start the match at 100% Condition (maybe 98% for Fatty as the walk to the park wore him out a little bit). However, at the same time Fatty's "Match Fitness" is probably about, oh, 12%, because he never works out. While Smarmy's Match Fitness is closer to 100%.

What this means is that after even 30 minutes Fatty's Condition will probably have dropped to 50% (or lower), because he has no Match Fitness (or, more simply, he's an out of shape slob). Smarmy, who is in great shape, will probably still be in the 90s for Condition.

I'm exaggerating for effect, but hopefully you get the point.

Had a couple of little questions that I didn't think deserved their own threads so I'll put them here:

1) In a formation with 1 CM and 1 DM, do you leave them both central or stagger them left/right? Maybe this would depend on roles and roaming instructions?

2) Have people noticed that drilled crosses are much more successful than floated crosses, or is this my imagination? I'm considering setting "drill crosses" across the board but I'm not sure if this is worthwhile.

1. Personal preference really. I'm not certain how much an asymmetric setup actually influences positioning, it might just be a placebo effect, but I'd prefer to be set that way.

2. It all depends on the players you're supplying. Theoretically, the drilled cross better suits someone running onto the ball, whereas a Floated Cross suits a physical lump. I'm generally set to have runners getting onto the ball, so can't remember when I last used Floated Crosses. Irrespective of this, I hardly ever see a lovely drilled daisy-cutter of a cross. For some reason, almost all the drilled crosses I see are just medium height whacks.

Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong here? I'll try and explain what I want from the tactic. I want one midfielder to be a destroyer that can also feed the ball up top when the opportunity presents, but usually find a safer ball. The other midfielder a more expansive playmaker. I want the left AML to be a inside forward of sorts but offer some unpredictability to be able to go down the line and swing in crosses. With Insigne being good with either foot I feel he should be able to do this. The AMR and more direct inside forward. The AMC should be a classic play making 10 (Ozil, Gotze, Isco) and the striker to lead the line like Lewandowski does in real like. A prolific goalscorer who can also contribute immensely to the build up. It is rather ambitious to get them all playing like this but this is my ultimate goal.

9sh6.png

I have a real struggle getting the ball to Lewandowski and it is not uncommon for him to finish a full 90 minutes with under 20 passes. There is also not a lot of key passes and with Ozil I'd expect more than 1 every 2 games or so.

I have AMR - sit narrower and roam, AMC - roam, ST - move into channels

Any advice?

Lots of stuff here.

If you want Lewandowski to contribute to the build-up, you'll probably want to put him on a support duty, maybe CF-S or DLF-S. As it is, on CF-A he's mainly going to be leading the line, looking for the guys behind him to make stuff happen.

Now, let's talk about the guys behind him. First of all, know that a Winger on Support will tend to get the ball and cross early, which is fine, and actually a good fit for a CF-A, in that the CF-A will already be in an advanced position. Those count as crosses, not passes, however. The main weakness there is that each of those crosses rely on Lewandowski's 1:1 ability (probably against two defenders) to turn into something great, and it's not a given that your AP or IF will be in position to get rebounds (and with a CF-A role & duty, Lewandowski is looking to score, not to play them in, anyway).

The challenge with setting both the AP-S & IF-A on roam duties, in conjunction with Lewandowski, and expecting them to create for him is that due to the roaming you're asking Lewandowski to develop a really incredible understanding with those two players, since they'll be all over the place. In addition, note than an IF, especially with an Attack duty, isn't necessarily the most "creative-for-others" role out there.

Lastly, the way you have things set up now, the only key passes Ozil's going to produce (I think) are to Lewandowski, cutting down on Ozil's opportunities for that stat. The Winger on Support will rarely be advanced enough without the ball to get a key pass, and the IF tends not to aggressively run into space without the ball, looking instead to run into space with the ball. Plus, with a "sit narrower" instruction, Ozil is probably just playing square balls to him anyway.

I'd probably do the following. Switch the Winger to Attack and the IF to Support, and get rid of all the instructions amongst your four attackers (including Lewandowski's).

This does the following:

1. Frees up Lewandowski as a Complete Forward to do what he thinks is best at all time, which is what we should expect of a great player.

2. With the Winger charging towards the byline to get a cross in, extra time is allowed for other players to get into advanced, and dangerous positions. In addition, the Winger with an Attack duty will generally stay advanced and (in my opinion) often ends up working well as a secondary forward.

3. An IF with an Attack duty will run at the defense looking to score. An IF with a Support duty will run at the defense looking to play a killer ball. From where he'll be coming, he'll generally have 2 (CF & AP), maybe 3 (+ Winger) options to do so.

I hope it helps. Good luck!

1. Personal preference really. I'm not certain how much an asymmetric setup actually influences positioning, it might just be a placebo effect, but I'd prefer to be set that way.

Could be looked up by seeing the differences in the heat map between the two settings, and the tackles made (seeing who they tackled during the match), passing positions etc.

I have a question. In previous versions of the game, in the team settings screen, there was an option to tick/untick named Counter Attack. How can I implement this option now, when there are only shouts to use?

I have a question. In previous versions of the game, in the team settings screen, there was an option to tick/untick named Counter Attack. How can I implement this option now, when there are only shouts to use?

The equivalent of the old Counter tick box is tied to the Counter Mentality.

That same way of playing cannot be directly replicated with the other Mentalities, but you can increase transition speeds using Team Instructions relating to Tempo and Passing Style.

anyone can pm me pls or post how the hell enganche on how they "stay on there position" BUt each time I use coutinho HES at the penalty box trying to head the ball IN not evn tying to use his foot anyone has a good or atleast oworking enganche formation ( I uses sturdge and suarez upfront on af and cfs and gerrard dlps and leava cmd)

As said, it's all covered by Cleon. I'll just add that it very much depends on your own personal managerial philosophy. I myself am trying to build a squad with outstanding mental attributes, therefore I will keep Tactics on high throughout the season when fitness and coherence are achieved.

Hi guys, I really need some of you great tacticians to help replicate a style of play that I tried and failed many times to implement.

To give you some background information, I have a natural AML that is really, really great at scoring goals (think Ronaldo). And I have a striker whose strengths is really in creating chances rather than finishing them. So in other words, instead of my winger creating for my striker, I need to be the other way round.

So how best to go around doing it? Instead of giving me player roles can I have which specific instructions to best do this?

First, I'm guessing balanced philosophy if my winger is on attack duty and striker on support duty? So that the winger will have a higher mentality than the striker? Or at least fluid so they will have the same mentality?

Next, give my striker roaming and wideplay moves into channels? So he will move wide to create space in the box for the winger to attack? And give my winger maxed runs from deep and wideplay cut inside so he can exploit said space? Is that correct?

Is mixed RFD necessary for my striker to creating even more space?

Should I think hold up ball for my striker? Because I read somewhere that HUB makes the striker hold the ball in high positions more and less mobile?

What if I add another CAM into the equation? Will an attacking midfielder take up the same space as my winger and a playmaker that sits and play passes better?

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help!

Sorry, to clarify I want my striker to create space by primary drifting wide not dropping deep. Create space with horizontal movement not vertical. So a simple false 9 is not what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure if this is stupid or not, but here it is: I'm playing a team in Brazil, currently late in my third season and already clinched the league title and am awaiting Santos in the cup final. So I'm doing something right, but to be honest, I don't know exactly what it is (a couple of free transfers of four-star players(!) and selling my best player and using the money to buy two more four-stars helped). Anyway, I employ a 4-2-2-2 as my main formation (over 90% of the time) because when I inherited the team, that's really all that I could field. I've stuck with it and obviously it seems to be working.

My team consists of very strong DMs and AMs (though no AML or AMR players at all), and no pure CMs, so I actually use a 4-2-0-2-2. I constantly see the message "We are getting overrun in midfield", but I don't really see that reflected in the passing analysis or the scorelines. Generally my games end up 2-1, 2-0, 1-0, etc... I see the occasional 3-3 and even had a 5-5 in a cup game, but unless Neymar just goes off against me, it's seems solid.

My question is this: Should I look to fill the CM gap? Meaning, should I develop some CMs (or maybe buy one or two)? They don't seem to be coming through my youth ranks, despite my HOYD preferring a 4-2-2-2. I see references to a 4-1-2-1-2, which seems more defensively solid, and may not lose anything in attack. If I do switch, what should I look for? A DLP and a BWM? Then use one AM as an IF or AM? I have three excellent DMs that can Anchor very well, so I'd have to sell one, but getting money is OK, too.

I obviously don't have advanced knowledge of tactics, but I'm not really looking for in-depth advice. I like to figure things out, and these forums have been invaluable as I've changed the way I train players, what to look for when buying them, and how I manage individual matches. Now I'm really just getting started on the tactical side of things, so some good general advice about this type of formation and playing with no Wingers would be most appreciated.

Ignore the assistant if you feel the game is being played different to what he suggest. He doesn't know how you've set up. You get the message 'being overrun' because most teams in Brazil use 2 MC's but you have no-one in this position in your own tactic so it makes perfect sense that they occupy this space and you don't. As long as you feel its not an issue then ignore him :)

Will a player perform better if he's retrained into another position, or is attributes the most important when played in unfamiliar positions?

The only difference I can think of, by retraining a player, is that perhaps the general training will change which attributes he may gain.

Will a player perform better if he's retrained into another position, or is attributes the most important when played in unfamiliar positions?

The only difference I can think of, by retraining a player, is that perhaps the general training will change which attributes he may gain.

Playing someone out of position lowers their decision making. So someone out of position might not 'think' or 'choose' the correct decision and might make more mistakes than if he was familiar with the position.

Playing someone out of position lowers their decision making. So someone out of position might not 'think' or 'choose' the correct decision and might make more mistakes than if he was familiar with the position.

Only decision hmm... Are you 100% sure about this ? . Should be a bigger penalty imo.

Can anyone explain for me in detail what is run wide with ball please ? cause English is not my first language. Does the player dribble with the ball to the flank like Iniesta usually did IRL or it instruct the player using his off the ball movement to move wide cause I'm confusing against move into channel :confused:

Can anyone explain for me in detail what is run wide with ball please ? cause English is not my first language. Does the player dribble with the ball to the flank like Iniesta usually did IRL or it instruct the player using his off the ball movement to move wide cause I'm confusing against move into channel :confused:

Run wide with the ball means the player will look to stretch the opposition and move wider when he has the ball. Moves into channels is something he does when he doesn't have the ball but your team is in possession. It means he will look to do vertical movement in the hope he pulls his defender/marker with him and that this creates space for whoever is making runs beyond him.

Run wide with the ball means the player will look to stretch the opposition and move wider when he has the ball. Moves into channels is something he does when he doesn't have the ball but your team is in possession. It means he will look to do vertical movement in the hope he pulls his defender/marker with him and that this creates space for whoever is making runs beyond him.

Thanks a lot Cleon, its what im looking for :thup:

This isn't a tactical question as such, more about statics and what you think about long shot percentages.

Bascially, what percentage of your total shots at goal in a game do you think is acceptable to be "long"? For instance, if you have 20 shots in a game, what would you consider to be too many? I've always thought anything from 25-33% was a good low number. It means you're players are doing well at creating chances and aren't resorting to just hoofing it from long range. Anything above 40% is not particularly good and I'd look to rectify that if it became a trend.

So, in my example of having 20 shots in a game, if I had more than 8 that were deemed to "long", I wouldn't be too happy. The bracket between 33-40% is a grey area for me - it's not bad, but it's not great.

What do others think?

I hope all that makes sense. :D