Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"One missing link last year: Acquilani"

one could take it that he literally means last year is what the club needed from a creativity point of view.

it's hardly a statement that will rock the club in any event.

but does this mean for instance joe is seen as a better option or know one is willing to touch him with his wages? the choice there for me is as obvious as daylight.

and on the agent thing - whether we want to keep him or not, the impression seems to be we don't care what the agent says. never heard any stories that the club is unhappy with the agent's conduct.

Looks like Birmingham are going into administration (rumours at the min) but if true means we could be going in the europa cup after all. I rather we didn't as I hate Sunday games, we can always play reserves with the youth players in the Europa league in the early rounds.

That surely cant happen, would mess with the seedings of the draws and such wouldnt it?

Reading the reports it seems Birmingham are in finacial trouble and will be selling their best players but none of the reports mentioned administration so looks like people on twitter got ahead of themselves at the moment.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Birmingham-financial-meltdown-Carson-Yeung-assets-frozen-player-sale-to-survive-new-Portsmouth-article776447.html

Milan Jovanovic's agent is confident the Liverpool winger will soon come to an agreement with Anderlecht to complete a move back to Belgium.

Jovanovic, who signed on a free transfer from Standard Liege a year ago, has already held talks with Anderlecht but the Belgian side cannot match the reported £65,000-a-week he is on at Liverpool.

There has also been interest from teams in the Middle East but Jovanovic would prefer to remain in Europe in order to maintain his international career with Serbia.

"There is a gap between what we can offer and what the player gets at Liverpool," said Anderlecht general manager Herman van Holsbeeck.

But Jovanovic's representative Dejan Veljkovic is confident a deal can be done.

"Milan will definitely come to Anderlecht," he told Het Nieuwsblad in Belgium.

"We are talking again and everything looks good: the sporting aspects, financial, contributions.

"We are still a few solutions [away] but there is movement."

Let it be....

Sky Sports saying that Aquilani's move has fallen through because he doesn't want to go on loan.

He must really not want to come back here.

from a outsider i can understand why. every one been saying 15m+ allways injured rubbish etc so can you blame him. if you could get 8m for him it would be a good deal because he just be disruptive

Sky Sports saying that Aquilani's move has fallen through because he doesn't want to go on loan.

He must really not want to come back here.

surely he would go on loan if he didn't want to come back here? especially given that it would seem suitors are few and far between.

Except we'll probably play 4-4-2 a lot of the time with Carroll and Suarez upfront.

As I see it, the rankings are:

1) Gerrard

2) Lucas

3) Adam

4) Aquilani

5) Henderson (low because he'll play RW a lot)

6) Meireles (probably be sold)

7) Spearing

8) Shelvey

9) Poulsen

By gum we have a lot of CMs.

I don't think Henderson will play right wing at all. At least I hope not. He was bought to play CM, play him CM.

Thats a way too simplistic way of looking at it btw. What we have atm is more like:

DM - Lucas, Poulsen

AM - Gerrard, Aquilani, Meireles, Cole?

Box to box/third man/CM/whatever you want to call it - Adam, Henderson, Spearing, Shelvey.

You could probably fit Aquilani and Meireles into either of the last two categories, same with Henderson possibly.

I guess it will depend on who the opposition is as to what our midfield lineup will be, but whats for sure is we have too many central midfielders at the club, and one or two are going to have to go. I think if we had the choice the vast majority of us wouldn't be choosing Aquilani to be the first name out of the door.

4-5-1 based on who is currently at the club

GK: Reina, Doni, Jones

LB: Aurelio, Insua, Robinson

LCB: Agger, Soti, Wilson

RCB: Carragher, Skrtel, Ayala

RB: Johnson, Kelly, Flanagan

DMC: Lucas, Spearing, Poulsen

MC: Adam, Henderson, Meireles

AMC: Gerrard, Aquilani, Shelvey

LW: Downing, Maxi, Cole

RW: Suarez, Kuyt, Cole

S: Carroll, N'Gog, Pacheco

I can't see the sense in playing Suarez right wing. For me, he has to be the #1 striker and play there all the time, even if it sometimes means leaving Carroll out of the team. He showed last season how devastating he is playing a free-ish role as a striker, similar to the role Tevez plays at City. His movement is superb, he can get behind the defence, he can drop deep and dribble, he moves out to the flanks etc.

I don't think it's good strategy to play your best attacker not in his best position. Playing him on the wing would restrict him, he'd have some defensive duty, and he wouldn't be in the most dangerous central area of the pitch most of the time.

So if we play 4-5-1, for me that means Carroll out; Suarez in the middle with Kuyt and Downing on the flanks, Gerrard, Lucas and Aquilani/Adam midfield.

I don't think Kenny will want Carroll out of the team though, so that's why I think he'll mostly play 4-4-2.

4-5-1 based on who is currently at the club

GK: Reina, Doni, Jones

LB: Aurelio, Insua, Robinson

LCB: Agger, Soti, Wilson

RCB: Carragher, Skrtel, Ayala

RB: Johnson, Kelly, Flanagan

DMC: Lucas, Spearing, Poulsen

MC: Adam, Henderson, Meireles

AMC: Gerrard, Aquilani, Shelvey

LW: Downing, Maxi, Cole

RW: Suarez, Kuyt, Cole

S: Carroll, N'Gog, Pacheco

Love our midfield options now and the front line is good, but that defence looks far too weak. Really needs some reinforcement.

No its not, because for some reason our club channel has decided not to show the friendlies live :thup:

It's being shown at 10pm though

They are showing at 7 aswell according to the website and tv listings.

Team line up confimed as

The Liverpool team in full: Doni, Insua, Flanagan, Kyrgiakos, Kelly, Robinson, Degen, Shelvey, Poulsen, Cole, Carroll. Subs: Jones, Wisdom, Ayala, Spearing, Coady, Kuyt, Aquilani.

So clearly a back 6 for this game then!? It's also possibly the worst line up I've seen in years, can't wait to watch it now!

Archived