Unlikely managerial appointments, or ones that just amuse you in FM

and those would be signing Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina, Mascherano, keeping Gerrard at the club when he was destined for Chelsea. Agreeing with the board to bring in Dalglish as a Director of Football so as to have an association with the fans. Giving countless amounts of money to the Hillsborough and Rhys Jones Memorial Funds. Ensuring that fans were once again proud of Liverpool FC. Winning the Champions League and making it to the final another time. Placing Liverpool 2nd in the league the highest they have ever been and will likely be judging by current predictions.

All those who slag off the guy are either jealous or dumb. I can admit bad transfer buys but as bad as Konchelsky or Poulsen? Don't think so.

Alright, keep your knickers on...

In 2031:

Carlo Ancelotti leads England to their first World Cup since 1966 in 2014 after Capello retires. Emile Heskey takes over as England manager in 2024 and leads them to the World Cup final in 2026.

Spain have hired Jose Mourinho and Roberto Mancini (twice).

Steven Gerrard takes over League one Brighton in 2017 and leads them to the Premiership where they become a title challenger, and is now a club legend.

John Terry is at his second stint of managing Aston Villa after beginning his managerial career there, before managing Everton and Sunderland.

Cristiano Ronaldo started his managerial career at West Ham and is now manager of Manchester United!

Romelu Lukaku is managing Wigan.

LOVE that :)

The new Chelsea boss, after a dismal effort by Mick McCarthy, is.............................Sam Allardyce, who in the game has managed Sunderland to mediocrity over the past few seasons.

Also, rather amusingly, Pim Verbeek has won the Seria A manager of the year. After he got sacked by Roma a month ago.

Heskey to Reading, fired after 8 months then appointed qpr manager who were above reading in the league.

Also forest 12th in prem bring in bellamy, he leaves when they're 18 next season to take over stoke who are 17th in feb

Not unrealistic those. Brian Laws was sacked by Wendies after they were struggling in the Championship, goes to Burnley in the PL. I'm sure there are plenty of managers who've been appointed for a club after being sacked by another club in the same league not long before, whether the club he joins are above OR below. As for the second one, probably a fair few real-life examples of managers jumping ship when struggling not long after taking the job, although I can see where you're coming from in the total lack of common sense from both club and person POV.

I saw some strange ones come by in my save, 28 year old mediocre dutch players becoming managers at the top level clubs and such, but this one struck me as the oddest:

"Materazzi takes Harlow hotseat."

Harlow FC, that's 7th or 8th tier I believe..

Nice contradiction in the article announcing the appointment: "In what can be seen as a suprise appointment, virtually unknown italian manager Marco Materazzi takes charge at Harlow. Materazzi has made xx-international appearances for Italy."

And I checked it was the real one, and not a regen with the same name. 4th season running btw, Materazzi's first job as manager.

Virtually unknown, haha, just got the headbut of the century in the world cup final.. I can hardly remember it ;-)

End of my second season and about to embark upon the 2012/13 season...

Sir Alex Ferguson has just retired, replaced by Carlo Ancelotti, who had himself been sacked by Chelsea first season and replaced by David Moyes. Man Utd won the Premier League 2010/11 and came second to Chelsea 2011/12.

Most amusing of all though, after Fabio Capello retired as England manager, having taken them to the semi-finals of the European Championships (yes, they lost on penalties to Germany :p ), he was replaced by none other than Rafa Benitez!!

Not a manager, but in one of my games I just had news that Everton had been bought by their former player Jamie Speare. That's THIS Jamie Speare. Not quite sure what his full time job was when he was in non-league if he can afford to buy a PL team.

Man City have Shearer

Benitez back at Liverpool

Damian Duff is manager of Fulham with Ole Gunnar Sols as his assistant

SYLVAIN WILTORD is a blackburn

Defoe is in charge of wolves

Zola is at Chelsea (After i got sacked :( )

Lampard is at west brom

Trevor Francis is at Ipswich

and finally Heskey relegated Hull :L

Not a manager, but in one of my games I just had news that Everton had been bought by their former player Jamie Speare. That's THIS Jamie Speare. Not quite sure what his full time job was when he was in non-league if he can afford to buy a PL team.

He isn't the owner of the club he is the figurehead of the consortium.

and those would be signing Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina, Mascherano, keeping Gerrard at the club when he was destined for Chelsea. Agreeing with the board to bring in Dalglish as a Director of Football so as to have an association with the fans. Giving countless amounts of money to the Hillsborough and Rhys Jones Memorial Funds. Ensuring that fans were once again proud of Liverpool FC. Winning the Champions League and making it to the final another time. Placing Liverpool 2nd in the league the highest they have ever been and will likely be judging by current predictions.

All those who slag off the guy are either jealous or dumb. I can admit bad transfer buys but as bad as Konchelsky or Poulsen? Don't think so.

your a sad sad bitter man benitez took a liverpool team that had won a champions league which was majoritly not his and took them to a europa leage team at absolute best. your a clown in denial.

In my game Wenger got sacked at Arsenal in 2012, then immediately he was approached by City board. Had a brief period with no marginal success in league (in relegation zone :D) nor in league cup and in January was sacked.

Wenger then headed to Spain to manage Sevilla and after couple of years managing got sacked again and he was appointed once again manager of Arsenal.

From memory (not by my save right now):

- Simone Perrotta is current Brighton manager

- Danny Murphy is currently at Colchester and is in line to lead them to successive promotions reaching the Premier League for the first time

- Steve Bruce is England manager, attempting to rebuild after Big Sam got his hands on it (ranked 12th at last time of looking)

Interestingly, Capello, Redknapp, Ferguson AND Wenger all retired on the same day in-game leaving a huge whole in English football at Euro 2012.

Many of mine are similar to those mentioned above:

Benitez was sacked by Inter and hired as England manager after Capello retired

Wenger left Arsenal to replace Benitez and was sacked 12 months and nine days later

Ancellotti was sacked by Chelsea three months after signing a five-year contract. He went on to join Man Utd after Fergie retired

Moyes replaced Ancellotti at Chelsea - and Moyes was replaced at Everton by Alan Shearer

Man City have gone through a raft of managers - Mancini was sacked (going to Arsenal) and replaced by Aguirre, who lasted only six months (and was later appointed by Liverpool). Redknapp replaced him, but he retired from football only six months later. Roy Hodgson is currently sitting in the City hotseat.

All this in only two and a half years!

NB: BS Allardyce is still managing Blackburn, while Darren Ferguson has guided Preston to the Premiership...

EDIT: As I click continue after posting this, Aguirre is sacked as Liverpool boss - and I deny any interest it slumming it at Anfield...

Season 3, Chelsea doing very poorly and ultimately only qualify for Europa Cup by virtue of a League Cup win.

Last 16 of the CL they are smashed 5-1 at home by Juve. Enough say that Russian bloke – Ancellotti – you’re fired.

Then in a stroke of supreme genius he brings in the only man big enough for the job – Yes, its Dave Jones :D

Cristiano Ronaldo started his managerial career at Scunthorpe in League One....then got sacked after dragging the team down to 23rd!

Now you could really have some fun with that.

Who put the <insert vulgar word we all know is present in the town name> in Scunthorpe! ;)

January 2017: Carlo Ancelotti has still NOT been sacked. He gets sacked on EVERY game EVER.

Also, hello Owen Hargreaves - Ashton United manager.

And finally, big shout out to Steve Bruce for his excellent efforts as England manager: second bottom of the World Cup European Qualifying Section Group 4. Above Andorra.

In my game in 2014 Avram Grant is Chelsea's manager, Mancini is in Liverpool, McLeish in Citeh, Agirre in Milan, Ancelotti in Barca, Guardiola manages Spain. Those are some of the most interesting ones.

Big name appointments in the lower leagues aren't that frequent IRL but do happen, Tim Flowers was appointed at Stalybridge IRL having been an assistant at coventry and I think he was a GK coach at Man City before that.

I'm interested to see how Eddie Howe does in FM, has anyone seen him getting poached by a Premiership side?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived