England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hardly saying just take anybody, its not as if he isnt already going to have a good idea of the options available to him.

Normally I would like the provisional squad, I just think its a better use of time to go straight to the 23 this time.

In an ideal world you would take 30 odd players and pick the ones who impress but we all know that never happens and the manager mostly already knows who he wants. Why not save everyone the time and effort and concentrate on the 23 who are going?

So now the new coaching staff are Ray Lewington as assistant. Nev as coach and this lad from Brum as a goalkeeping coach. Can’t remember his name. Along with Ray Clemence still

How come Clemence manages to keep his job every time even when other goalkeeping coaches are brought in?

It's absolutely awful ffs.

Things like this are exactly what I hate about your national team.

Haha, you said the same thing last time. Not going to explain why? Probably right because the last advert you laughable called xenophobic and was roundly laughed off.

I suspect you'll always hate England regardless of the quality of advert produced

In an ideal world you would take 30 odd players and pick the ones who impress but we all know that never happens and the manager mostly already knows who he wants. Why not save everyone the time and effort and concentrate on the 23 who are going?

The manager has mostly already spent 2 years with the players once every month or two. He isn't starting the job Monday, picking a tournament squad Wednesday. Surely even more important that we use the provisional squad this time around.

Myself I wouldn't take 30, about 26 or 27 to suss out the fringe places in the squad and see how the dynamics work. If one or two don't fit in well with what I'm doing then it's easier to get rid. Bit of a risk picking your 23 off the bat when you haven't had the chance to see if any players you were considering but didn't pick in your 23 worked better for you than players you picked.

Odd that he isn't naming like 30 and then maybe meeting up with the squad before knocking it down. Not a massive deal though but you'd think he'd give himself more time but we have wasted so much time already in appointing him maybe acting quicker on the squad gives an air of control

Or maybe he knows which 23 he wants anyway and he needs the friendlies not to decide on fringe players, but to instill how he wants to play to the 11-15 guys he plans on playing.

Very true.

That's why I think naming it this early and 'getting on with it' sort of gives an air of control and planning. Why muck about getting 30 down to 23 when you could pick the 23 and start working on things, as you say. Let's face it, does he need to name 30? I am sure we could all have a pretty decent go at the England squad and get a good 18 or 19 of that 23 and that's with assumptions about how Hodge will play, etc

Is there a point in picking the Ox and then dropping him when Hodge probably knows the Ox and Scott Sinclair don't have a chance of going.

I don't have a problem with it tbh

Tbf with that he could be talking about the lot of them!

I guess they have all 'not shown' how good they are in some regard but you're right, an underhanded way to tell us 'yes, I am picking Downing .. I am the latest in a line of managers that sees something the rest of the world doesn't'.

I think that's the first comment I have seen about footballing matters from Hodgson though

Belgium selection against England:

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois (Atlético Madrid), Simon Mignolet (Sunderland), Jean-François Gillet (Bologna)

Defense: Toby Alderweireld (Ajax), Denis Odoi (Anderlecht), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City), Thomas Vermaelen (Arsenal), Daniel Van Buyten (Bayern Münich), Jan Vertonghen (Ajax) en Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit Sint-Petersburg)

Midfield: Guillaume Gillet (Anderlecht), Timmy Simons (Nürnberg), Radja Nainggolan (Cagliari), Steven Defour (FC Porto), Marouane Fellaini (Everton), Axel Witsel (Benfica), Nacer Chadli (Twente) en Dries Mertens (PSV), Moussa Dembele (Fulham)

Strikers: Eden Hazard (Lille), Igor De Camargo (Mönchengladbach), Romelu Lukaku (Chelsea), Kevin Mirallas (Olympiakos), Christian Benteke (Genk), Jelle Vossen (Genk) en Benji De Ceulaer (Lokeren).

De Bruyne (Genk/Chelsea) is injured

Hart

Walker-Rio-Cahill-Cole

Gerrard-Parker-Milner

Walcott-Carroll-Young

Decent line-up for the 1st 2 games?

As good as any other but I doubt Carroll will start. Well, we don't have a clue until the Royal Hodge-ness speaketh

No doubt there will be 150 'reports' on Twitter before it comes out and most of those are wrong. I expect the Twitter reports will have either Terry or Rio missing and then hours of speculation before the announcement they're both in.

Any idea what time tomorrow, it is tomorrow, isn't it?

Hart

Walker-Rio-Cahill-Cole

Gerrard-Parker-Milner

Walcott-Carroll-Young

Decent line-up for the 1st 2 games?

Carroll? Would also prefer Barry and Carrick in there ahead of Milner and Gerrard. Scholes if we can get him.

i would love joe cole to be in the squad :)

Yeah I had forgot about him completely until today, could be an option to play behind the striker for the first 2 games maybe? Although I am purely going off other people that he has been good in France, I have no idea myself.

So, I assume we know about Rio, Crouch and Richards not going as they have actually received a call from Hodge and it's trickled out, no doubt from agents/media buddies but there are some journos (hello, Sam Wallace) reporting on this as though they know the squad. Erm, what time is it actually officially being announced, do we have any clue?

So, I assume we know about Rio, Crouch and Richards not going as they have actually received a call from Hodge and it's trickled out, no doubt from agents/media buddies but there are some journos (hello, Sam Wallace) reporting on this as though they know the squad. Erm, what time is it actually officially being announced, do we have any clue?

Richards got his call from Stuart Pearce, apparently to ask if he wants to play in the Olympics.

12:45pm, apparently.

Archived