Last 16 - Spain v Portugal, BBC1, 7.30 BST/8.30 CET

bomma

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Capdevilla was so embarassing. Whether he was touched or not he got up, saw the red card then rolled over again. Would really love to see him banned for that but it won't happen.

People blaming the ref for that should really get a clue. He sees an elbow swung and a player going down. If he didn't send the player off having seen it and there HAD been contact their would be chaos.

Only way to stop it happening is bans .

I hope to god Spain don't win this World Cup even more now. Pretty unimpressive and also a bunch of cheating *****.

I have felt like this ever since the Switzerland game, after 30 minutes in that game they were diving and cheating etc. because they were annoyed that they weren't winning, they expected themselves to win 5-0 and disrespected their opponents.

As Clarence has said there - he's looked around for the Spaniard - then threw the elbow. There's a disciplinary sanction under FIFA rules concerning suspension of players of "Attempting to Strike an Opponent" (with the FA if you throw an elbow but miss the player then the ban is half of what you get for actually making contact)

He knew what he was doing - deserves the red.

Hugo Almeida out->lose the game.

Ricardo Costa always completely useless against Villa...

Baaah, Ronaldo as a striker has been tried for years and never worked for us...

And no idea why our midfielders never tried to go up the field.

Spain were great, but Queiroz lost the game imo.

Great exibition by Eduardo as always, hope he finally gets the recognition he deserves.

Queiroz did pretty well initially imo. Game plan was spot on and Portugal looked as likely to score as Spain. Messed it up then by bringing on Danny, who is always completely useless, for Almeida, who was playing pretty well. And then bringing Simao off was a bit stupid as well. But Queiroz has never been a good manager, just a tactician. Hopefully he'll get sacked and come back to Old Trafford.

I'm a Spain fan, but there was a hideous amount of diving in there, and Capdevilla has embarrassed himself terribly. :thdn:

Ricardo Costa didn't touch him at all, so it was a blatant dive and all that, but Costa did line him up and take a swing, so should it be red card for intent? I don't know, but either way Cuntdevilla needs a good and proper smack in the face for that cheating.

Two horrible **** teams just as we all guessed, this Spain team just so disgusting/[/img]

They annoy the **** out of me. They are a fantastic team full of fantastic players, they can play great football and have done for the past few years. Yet so far they haven't been anything special, more like an Arsenal team passing it around too much without doing anything and on top of that they have been the worst for simulation/diving/generally milking everything.

Disappointed or not? hmmmm, can't say.

What did i think would be a good world cup for Portugal? probably a good performance in the 2nd round with an outside chance of the QF. Did we get that? hmmmm can't say.

Did Queiroz pick the right 23? no

Did Queiroz pick the right 11 for tonight? no

Did Queiroz make the right subs? no

Was Villa offside? yes, but close enough to get the benefit of the doubt. The rules say if the linesman has doubt then the flag stays down, so fair enough.

Was it a red? no. will Portugal protest the red? probably. will FIFA rescind the red? no Will Capadevilla get punished in any way? of course not. Will more teams do the same in the future? damn right they will.

So what now for Portugal? Queiroz has had his chance and achieved what i expected, but failed to try for more, and that's why he should go. Mourinho and Jorge Jesus are out of the picture for now, so i think portugal should do the same as 2000, pick a new manager with something to prove. Thinking now, i'm tempted to say Oceano, but that's probably emotions atm. He's coached for the youth setup for a bit but is probably too raw.

As for the squad:

Deco, Paulo Ferreira, Pedro Mendes, Liedson - bye

In Eduardo, Bosingwa, Coentrao, Carvalho, Alves, and Pepe we can have a very solid back 4/5.

Tiago and Meireles were excellent in my opinion and constitute a solid central midfield partnership. Add in any of Veloso, Moutinho, Ruben Micael, Ruben Amorim and again we're very solid.

Quaresma needs to leave Inter, Portugal needs his magic and we won't get that while he warms the Bench. Quaresma, Ronaldo, Simao, and Nani on the wings gives us fantastic attacking options.

Up front, surely Almeida has earned the right to play, at least until we know if Nelson Oliveira can fulfill his potential.

Archived