deciding Group F: Slovakia vs. Italy, Paraguay vs. New Zealand

boots

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marchetti did save a shot by Kucka in the first half... and it wasn't that convincing anyway, he kinda "flapped" the ball...

Anyway, Italy showed a dreadful lack of personality AND of tactical prowess, caused by Lippi's poor and confusing decisions.

It's not a coincidence they created more chances in the final 15 minutes than in the previous 255...

Basically the moment they went down 0-2, they thought "oh crap, we're done, so we can as well charge at full speed, at worst we'll concede a third goal, but it doesn't matter."

And as they threw caution to the wind they suddenly produced scoring chances... both goals were good, one individual effort and a good coral effort...

So they DID have the quality... it was a matter of not "believing" in it. And of not being driven enough.

That goes beyond the technical limitations of the players...

Probably because of the manner in which the Slovakians played the match.

Any Italian complaining about the Slovakian 'technique' is the biggest hypocrite ever ever ever.

Seems like a lot of the big nations need a rebuilding period.

I wouldn't say rebuilding is needed...

Fresh starts (read: new coach) is a more apt thing to say...both Italy and France had coaches that had gotten a little too loose, stubburn, arrognant and prententious and undoubtedly stuck in the job far longer then they should have...

Lippi coming back was always going to end in tears rather then joy... :D and I have no explanation as to why Domenech was still coaching post 2008 Euro's.

Fresh starts (read: new coach) is a more apt thing to say...both Italy and France had coaches that had gotten a little too loose, stubburn, arrognant and prententious and undoubtedly stuck in the job far longer then they should have...

Lippi coming back was always going to end in tears rather then joy... :D and I have no explanation as to why Domenech was still coaching post 2008 Euro's.

A new manager is a must for both sides, also a lot of players for Italy will be going such as Cannavaro, Gattuso and Zambrotta.

For France, Henry, Abidal and Gallas.

So really they both need a new manager and young players to freshen the squads up imo

Fresh start/rebuilding sounds like the same thing to me tbh!

I really didn't think that was offside for the 2-2 and they missed that superb chance for 3-3 right at the end, half the bench were nearly on the field waiting for the goal

They have looked woeful, not just out but bottom, ditto for France, we thought we had a decent group and then look at Italy's, Slovakia didn't look all that earlier on in the campaign either, Italy didn't make them work that hard for the win (a little towards the end) .. gifted them the ball for that first goal, un-Italian

I fancy Holland strolling to the semi finals if they can stay away from penalties

Thoughts:

1. The last goal by the Slovaks was probably the best goals I have seen from a throw in.

2. Glad I went with my gut instinct not to back Italy.

3. The Italians acted a little better than the Serbs when bowing out of the comp.

Saying that he refused to hand-shake it's silly, he didn't do what Domenech did.. he just left the pitch quickly.. seen tons of managers doing that all the time tbh..

Dissapointed that Italy got knocked-out.. was a thrilling 2nd half anyway!

Cannavaro is the only 1st choice player who will be retiring. Everyone else who partcipated in the WC will still be available and selected for the national team.

Gattuso said that was his final game with Italy as well...

Then I hope Prandelli will have enough sense to thank goodbye a good lot of the current players.

Honestly, I'd just get rid of all the players over 30, with the sole exception of Pirlo, who should anyway be used as a tutor to his long-term substitute.

Also, while a decent younger counterpart is available, I'd slowly stop calling up all the current semi-regulars/backups aged 27-29...

There's little point in keeping second choice players who will be too old for the next World Cup.

Cannavaro is the only 1st choice player who will be retiring. Everyone else who partcipated in the WC will still be available and selected for the national team.

I thought Gattuso said he was going to retire from international football after the world cup? Sure I remember him saying something about needing to make way for younger players

Great campaign from the kiwis!

Went into the cup thinking that a non-loss against slovakia was the best we could expect, but to draw against italia and paraguay is amazing given the expectations were that we would probably lose both those games by 3 or 4.

Anyway as a mate said to me after the kiwis qualified- "If you cant beat New Zealand you dont deserve to go to the cup."

Something to think about for Slovakia and Paraguay, perhaps?

OMFG this was so orgasmic. What can one say? 3 goals, two defended dismally, ball hacked off the line, the Mad Pig slashing someone open in his very last game in the WC, typical. On side goal ruled out :D Playacting to the extreme, but against Italy for once. Etc. etc. I could gloat and grin for hours, but I'll limit it to

YAAASSSSS, 'AVE IT YOU DIRTY DIVING CHEATERS :D \o/ :cool:

Also, while a decent younger counterpart is available, I'd slowly stop calling up all the current semi-regulars/backups aged 27-29...

There's little point in keeping second choice players who will be too old for the next World Cup.

So no Cassano?:mad:

I say Prandelli just start calling up every Italian from 18-25...iirc Van Basten called-up every dutch citizen during his tenure...:D

So no Cassano?:mad:

Cassano is a double-edged sword... he's not the type of player who'll accept some sort of "super sub" role, nor he would really work as such.

So for Cassano to actually be the star of the national team he should be The Man, the one and only star (like in Sampdoria), something that Italy can't really afford, first and foremost because Cassano isn't "stable" enough to deserve such a role, and also because Italy isn't (yet) poor enough to resort to the One Man Team tactic.

Last, but not least, Cassano is 28 but he's not yet ready to be a leader at the highest level. So no I don't think Italy should rebuild the team around a relatively unproven, inconsistent and temperamental half-star who'll be 32 by the time the next World Cup rolls around.

Cassano is a double-edged sword... he's not the type of player who'll accept some sort of "super sub" role, nor he would really work as such.

So for Cassano to actually be the star of the national team he should be The Man, the one and only star (like in Sampdoria), something that Italy can't really afford, first and foremost because Cassano isn't "stable" enough to deserve such a role, and also because Italy isn't (yet) poor enough to resort to the One Man Team tactic.

Last, but not least, Cassano is 28 but he's not yet ready to be a leader at the highest level. So no I don't think Italy should rebuild the team around a relatively unproven, inconsistent and temperamental half-star who'll be 32 by the time the next World Cup rolls around.

Cassano was not played a number of times last season and he was just fine.;)

He also never complained under Donadoni and Trap...it's the public/press who do the complaining for him.:p

The problem with Cassano is where do you play him. He's best behind a striker (Pazzini) in a 4411. Could Italy be tempted to play him in an atacking midfield role in a 4312, I'm not sure that would work. I'm not sure you can play Cassano as well as 2 main strikers. Just Cassano and one lone striker.

The problem with Cassano is where do you play him. He's best behind a striker (Pazzini) in a 4411. Could Italy be tempted to play him in an atacking midfield role in a 4312, I'm not sure that would work. I'm not sure you can play Cassano as well as 2 main strikers. Just Cassano and one lone striker.

Cassano and lone striker is fine...and probably the best way forward seeing the lack of "quality" lone strikers.

Cassano never had a position in the national team tbf...he was always this bit part and his selection has always seemed forced upon coaches by public and press...:D

----------------Buffon

Maggio --- Ranocchia --- Chiellini --- Santon

(Motta)----(Bonucci)--------------(Criscito)

--- Aquilani/Poli --- De Rossi --- Montolivo/D'Agostino ---

------ Rossi/Balotelli --- Cassano/Giovinco ---

------------ Pazzini/Balotelli

or

------------------- Buffon

--- Maggio --- Ranocchia/Gamberini --- Chiellini --- Criscito

-------------- De Rossi --- D'Agostino

-------- Aquilani - Cassano - Montolivo

----------------- Balotelli

I'm sure though that during to 10/11 season there will be some emerging players and players who actually turn out to be turnips (D'Agostino? Ranocchia?)...so at the minute I would go with the above...

Archived