Group A - Mexico v Uruguay - K/O 3pm BST, ITV4

sean_oc16

mex.pngvsuru.png

Mexico vs Uruguay

Group A - 16:00 SAST Kick-Off

Venue: Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Rustenburg

1073004%5ffull-lnd.jpg

Group A joint-leaders Uruguay and Mexico meet in Rustenburg in an encounter they hope will not only book their place in the knockout stages, but will also give them a better chance of going even further in the competition. Both countries need only a draw to qualify, but in that case the Uruguayans would end up as group winners and Javier Aguirre’s men would in all probability face in-form Argentina, a Round of 16 clash they will surely want to avoid at all costs.

The match

Uruguay-Mexico, Group A, Rustenburg, Tuesday 22 June, 16:00 (local time)

After easily seeing off the challenge of hosts South Africa, Oscar Tabarez’s men come into their final group game in good spirits. The comfortable 3-0 victory over Bafana Bafana saw the South Americans grow in confidence as the match went on, something that was missing in their first game against France.

Mexico used their game against the 1998 champions to find real form. Quick and direct in attack, El Tri showed just how dangerous they can be going forward, but the Uruguayans’ solid defensive unit will provide tough opposition here.

Players to watch

Diego Forlan v Rafael Marquez

Uruguay’s star striker and Mexico’s defensive linchpin are old rivals and have pitted their wits against each other at club level on a number of occasions. Marquez signed for Catalan giants Barcelona in 2003, while Forlan arrived in Spain a year later, making his name first with Villarreal, where he spent three successful years before moving to Atletico Madrid. Both men have been in excellent form in the tournament so far. Forlan has been named Man of the Match in both of Los Charruas’ games, while Mexican captain Marquez has played a pivotal role in front of the back four whilst also weighing in with a goal.

The stat

1 - Both countries need just a single point from the game to book their place in the last 16.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

- In 17 previous meetings, Mexico have won seven to Uruguay's three, with seven draws.

- Mexico's first World Cup clean sheet came against Uruguay, in a goalless draw in 1966.

- A solitary strike by current Mexico coach Javier Aguirre was enough to secure a 1-0 win over Uruguay in April 1986.

Mexico

- Mexico have reached the last 16-stage at the past four World Cup finals. Their last exit at the group stage came in 1978.

- As coach of Atlético Madrid, Mexico boss Javier Aguirre signed Uruguayan striker Diego Forlán from Villarreal in 2007.

Uruguay

- The last time Uruguay reached the last 16 at the World Cup was in 1990, also under coach Oscar Tabarez.

- Uruguay have now kept two clean sheets in a row. They have never kept three consecutive clean sheets at the World Cup.

- Their 3-0 win against South Africa was their biggest World Cup victory since beating Scotland 7-0 in 1954.

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Viktor Kassai (Hungary)

Assistants: Gabor Eros and Tibor Vamos (Hungary)

Fourth official: Martin Hansson (Sweden)

Tournament so far:

Mexico              Uruguay
South Africa D 1-1  France       D 0-0
France       W 2-0  South Africa W 3-0

Group as it stands:

W     D     L     GD    PTS
Uruguay       1     1     0     3     4
Mexico        1     1     0     2     4
France        0     1     1     -2    1
South Africa  0     1     1     -3    1

Two teams basically slugging it out to top the group and avoid Argentina in the next round, with Uruguay needing just a draw.

Possible XIs

Mexico: Perez, Rodriguez, Salcido, Osorio, Torrado, Marquez, Franco, Barrera, Moreno, Hernandez, Dos Santos

Uruguay: Muslera, Lugano, Godin, Fucile, Cavani, Suarez, Forlan, A. Pereira, Perez, M. Pereira, Arevalo

They're based on line-ups from previous match and that both will be looking to win. If you know better post away :)

Hoping for the draw to ensure France are eliminated, but I suspect the prospect of Argentina in the last 16 will spur Mexico on to try and win the match. I think Mexico are the better team of the two, and despite Forlan and his attack-minded team-mates being capable of playing some attractive football, the Uruguayan's were horribly defensive and cynical for the first hour of the French game, so I wouldn't mind seeing a Mexican win as I think they'll be better to watch further on in the tournament. :thup:

Well I think "boring draw" because I have the feeling Mexico will go out on the attack, but can't get a goal and from a counter Uruguay will get one.

Not a fixed draw at all,

Can't see this being a draw for a minute, neither of them will want to face the Argies.

I think you go out with a nod to caution for 60-65 minutes, keep an eye on the France game. If France look like winning then come an hour whoever is winning is 'the winner' and the other day doffs the cap and says 'alright, you did us ... now calm down and we both go through' ... something like that anyway

I think you go out with a nod to caution for 60-65 minutes, keep an eye on the France game. If France look like winning then come an hour whoever is winning is 'the winner' and the other day doffs the cap and says 'alright, you did us ... now calm down and we both go through' ... something like that anyway

Why would Mexico allow that to happen? They really won't want to face Argentina when they can face South Korea.

Yeah, so they have 60-odd minutes or so to play the game as normal before they both take their foot off the pedal. They don't want to play Argentina but they also don't want to risk a -2 in goal difference when attacking too much and France sneak in the back door by hitting a few against South Africa.

Hence keep an eye on the other game. I expect proper football for at least 45 minutes and then maybe around 60 mins everyone starts wondering how to approach the final part of the game.

I remember that South Korean bloke in 2002 saying Figo approached him in their group game and said 'calm down, we're both through' and he ignored him and they went on to hit the winner :D

I didn't say that though.

I said they'd be 'proper' football for 60 minutes or so, that is they are both trying to win (with a little caution). No one is making sure it's a draw, I said make sure there's no -2 goal difference and give France the chance to sneak in.

If Mexico are leading at 60 mins are Uruguay gonna go mental and risk conceding a 2nd? May as well take the foot off a little with an eye on the other game to see how many France have scored.

If Mexico are leading 1-0 then so be it, they deserve to win but don't expect hammer and tongs until the 93rd minute. If *shock* my some magical coincidence it's a draw by 60-65 minute mark then I'd imagine that foot will come right off the pedal.

Does either team want to risk conceding an extra goal which could be vital vs going mad to chase an equaliser? You're still through to the next round, anything can happen.

Can you imagine if pushing to equalise the other concedes again and perhaps again in the last 20 minutes and then France win and get through on goal difference. Better to qualify then go mad risking that ... after a certain point in the game imo

Boring draw my ass...

The 2nd placed team gets Argentina, so it would be stupid for Mexico just sit back and accept the draw.

Also, I really doubt France will work that hard to beat South Africa... The players don't give a crap about the Cup anymore, and I bet they'd want it to be over ASAP, as they already know going through and getting demolished by Argentina won't make a lot of difference when they'll come back home and will get lambasted.

Mexico should, must and will try to win it

Blanco starting? :eek:

He looks like a guy wearing a comedy Richard Nixon mask to me

Runs about as well as Richard Nixon does too. Seriously, I know he's 37 and the legs have gone, but I don't think I've ever seen a professional footballer so immobile, especially one playing international football. I'm older than him, have barely broken a sweat in 20 years, and he makes me look like Usain Bolt! :D

Except that was 1-0 to West Germany but I get what you mean ... nothing can beat that!

Yeah i know that game was 1-0, what i meant was it will be a result that see's them both through. Its was one of the most shamefull things ive ever seen in football. The German commentator actually stormed out in embarrassment with 20 mins still to go.

The bookies are having none of this, a draw is 10/11 and Mexico/Uruguay are both 11/4, those are pretty big odds for a win for both teams to be honest

This is because of what is imo a huge over reaction to the draw on betfair. Bookies won't arb so have to set their prices in line with betfair.

Archived