Group C - England vs Algeria: ITV1 at 19:30

brett.spurs

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am an utter dick. Despite all the build up to this this morning I completely forgot it was on this afternoon and told some girl I've been seeing that I'll see her tonight. ****.

Tell her you are not feeling well...

James

Johnson Terry Carragher Cole

Lennon Lampard Barry Gerrard

Heskey Rooney

Is the team going by SSN.

If this team does not hammer Algeria, I will be very surprised. Should dominate.

Opening post had Green in goal earlier.

Sorry - meant the one at the top of the page (which wasn't the op - but I got mistaken).

Anyways...if James does make a clanger (not hoping...but we all know he can) then it's Hart or nothing after that!

Would have maybe liked to see Defoe instead of Heskey...and even Lampard dropped, Gerrard in centre and J.Cole on left.

3-0 I reckon anyways - early goal...then nothing until last 15 mins where we'll get a couple of cheeky goals...but I don't think we'll play great...just a grinding-out result again...although I'd take that now.

Dawson has had an amazing season and deserves a start...but I think Capello may think he's too similar to Terry (I don't) - Carragher is a bit slow now (as in oil tanker slow) - don't think Crouch is right for the way England wanna play - although he does score - Lampard offers nothing for me unless he's getting on the ball and shooting...which he didn't do at all against usa - and I think Gerrard in centre is the best rather than sticking him on the left which we are doing tonight.

Should be a straightforward win...but England don't do straightforward and we always make it hard for ourselves in the group stages of any tournament!!!

How dare we say we have more quality than someone else, even algeria!!!!!!! But its ok for other countries to say that, yeah? :rolleyes:

Dixon's comments were incredibly dismissive of any chances Algeria have, and of their quality. It's one thing saying that England are a great team, with world class players and in good form, but it's a completely different thing saying rubbish like "you would hope that [the choice of goalkeeper] will not make much difference to the outcome against these opponents" and suggesting that beating both Algeria and Slovenia "should be a formality." Reeks of sheer and utter arrogance.

Where did I ever say that it's okay for other countries to make similar comments? For the record, I don't think that would be acceptable either.

By the way, "even Algeria" ? Classy.

Edit: As it happens, I think England will win tonight, and have stuck a tenner on them doing so.

Algeria aren't too bad and we've seen most teams give a good game to the big teams - main thing in now is to try to keep the ball - I'm not bothered about loads of chances as long as we can consistently pass the ball around and make more than 4 passes in a move...something we need to start doing if we can begin to think we can win the thing...but this world cup is well open and some of the big guns are gonna fall to some dodgy mistakes it seems...just hope it's not us.

Dixon's comments were incredibly dismissive of any chances Algeria have, and of their quality. It's one thing saying that England are a great team, with world class players and in good form, but it's a completely different thing saying rubbish like "you would hope that [the choice of goalkeeper] will not make much difference to the outcome against these opponents" and suggesting that beating both Algeria and Slovenia "should be a formality." Reeks of sheer and utter arrogance.

Where did I ever say that it's okay for other countries to make similar comments? For the record, I don't think that would be acceptable either.

By the way, "even Algeria" ? Classy.

Edit: As it happens, I think England will win tonight, and have stuck a tenner on them doing so.

I think you're misinterpreting things here just so you can shout about your hatred of the english being arrogant and whatever else. But whatever, there's a england match on soon, cant be arsed arguing.

In all honesty, we should be beating teams like Slovenia and Algeria for fun. You'd even expect Scotland to do well against those teams, on paper of course.

It's a funny World Cup so far though so it wouldn't surprise me if we only draw tonight. Wouldn't be disastrous but would spoil my weekend.

In all honesty, we should be beating teams like Slovenia and Algeria for fun. You'd even expect Scotland to do well against those teams, on paper of course.

It's a funny World Cup so far though so it wouldn't surprise me if we only draw tonight. Wouldn't be disastrous but would spoil my weekend.

Agreed with you there we should be hammering team's like this

• Administrators

Confirmed teams:

England: James, Johnson, Cole, Gerrard ©, Terry, Lennon, Lampard, Rooney, Barry, Carragher, Heskey

Algeria: Mbolhi, Bougherra, Belhadj, Yahia ©, Halliche, Boudebouz, Lacen, Matmour, Ziani, Yebda, Kadir

GK - Hart

DR - Johnson

DL - A Cole

DC - Dawson

DC - Terry

MCL - Cole

MC - Barry

MCR - Lampard

AM - Gerrard

FC - Rooney

ST - Defoe

Or something like that. The main thing is Gerrard should play behind Rooney and Defoe or just Rooney

James, Johnson, Terry, Carragher, A Cole, Lennon, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Rooney, Heskey confirmed as the 11.

*sigh*

Gerrard is not as effective on the left, Carragher can't run. I'd drop Heskey, stick Rooney upfront and drop Gerrard behind him, Rooney admitted in an interview he prefers playing up on his own and Gerrard is ace at Liverpool dropping off Torres.

James, Johnson, Terry, Carragher, A Cole, Lennon, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Rooney, Heskey confirmed as the 11.

*sigh*

Gerrard is not as effective on the left, Carragher can't run. I'd drop Heskey, stick Rooney upfront and drop Gerrard behind him, Rooney admitted in an interview he prefers playing up on his own and Gerrard is ace at Liverpool dropping off Torres.

It wasn't effective in the USA game so I don't understand why he won't change it. I mean the USA beat England 1-1

same old ******** tactics

gerrard on left? why are england so afraid to drop either of lampard or gerrard and put j cole on the left wing?

carragher ....... the less said the better

i swear some sort of politics goes on behind the scenes in terms of picking the team, just amazes me how we stick with the same rubbish systems....

Archived