Group C - England v USA Match Thread - ITV 1 7:30PM

Rhino

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't unless I stick my arm out of the window and try to film them. My head half fits the window gap so can just see them. Don't want to walk out and point my camera phone at them as the they'll deck me in :D

At the moment they are going back and forth the road booing the houses with England flags.

they sound delightfully charming

well yeah, but with all due respect the the us, we should't be worrying too much about defending against their right back, but trying to take our left side foward and to him. ashley cole is an excellent defender by himself and i'm sure joe cole can follow simple instruction to help him out.

Wasn't suggesting it was the right move. Cole would have been a better choice although out on the left in a 4-4-2 isn't the place to get the best out of him.

Disappointed with the result, but decent performance to be fair. Big improvement from the last few friendlies.

Thought Heskey and Gerrard played well especially, although Heskey should have buried his one-on-one.

Green ****ed up big time, anyone know how big James' injury concerns were/are supposed to be. Surprised he overlooked experience for such a high-pressure match. Green evidently not used to this kind of situation, so not surprised he ****ed up.

Carragher also looked quite dodgy after he came on.

He was mainly troubled by Lennon in his Arsenal days. Since going to Chelsea he's been a lot more solid against Aaron but has still had trouble. He seems to play a more restricted role against Aaron aswell but sitting back a lot more.

Eh? Lennon only had 1 season at Tottenham while Cole was still at Arsenal and Cole was injured for pretty much the entire season :/

Don't know if it's because i'm getting older and have been there before with England, but tbh that was a perfectly decent performance to open a tournament. First half was very even, second we got control of the game in midfield and pretty much dominated. Wasteful finishing and poor final balls were the biggest issue for me today. Green (if he plays) is unlikely to make such an error again, in fact he's already atoned for it with that save in the second half.

Johnson was excellent btw, Heskey very effective in what he was asked to do, same about the 1v1 of course, Rooney struggled to make any impression until the latter stages, but yeah, we always start slowly. I feel confident enough that if we continue to create like that we will hopefully be good enough for the quarters, maybe an outside shot at the semis with a bit of fortune.

I think it would have been perfect for England if you had won, but you have only 3 games in the group stage, and finishing first is important to avoid Germany, but now the first position is very open as you couldn't beat what is supposed to be the best rival in the group.

• Administrators
He was mainly troubled by Lennon in his Arsenal days. Since going to Chelsea he's been a lot more solid against Aaron but has still had trouble. He seems to play a more restricted role against Aaron aswell but sitting back a lot more.

Well yeah, that makes sense tactically more than anything, you don't want to let a quick player into the vast space you vacate by going forward when your DM is Mikel or Ballack, who are slow and can't cover. Arsenal have tried the same to some effect by putting Walcott out there, but there's not that many other players who have the sort of pace to leave Cole floundering to get back (since he's supremely fit too).

:thup:

This is one of these cases where you can guess Crouch would never come close to her if he was not a famous footballer. :D

It's funny you mentioned that. And you know what Peter Crouch thinks about your view?

(Asked what he would be if he wasn't a footballer.)

Peter Crouch replied "a virgin"

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/816967-peter-crouch-virgin-jibe-wins-funniest-one-liner-vote

I think it's funny the way there is a huge divide, Heskey was either MOM contender, or useless.

Personally I didn't see anything special from Heskey and I never do either. The commentators on the other hand almost orgasmed every single time he touched the ball and made countless excuses for his misses

It's funny you mentioned that. And you know what Peter Crouch thinks about your view?

(Asked what he would be if he wasn't a footballer.)

Peter Crouch replied "a virgin"

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/816967-peter-crouch-virgin-jibe-wins-funniest-one-liner-vote

:D

He was certainly brave and sincere to say something like that. I don't like him much as a player, but I think he is really :cool:, probably one of the coolest players in your team. :thup:

I think it's funny the way there is a huge divide, Heskey was either MOM contender, or useless.

Personally I didn't see anything special from Heskey and I never do either. The commentators on the other hand almost orgasmed every single time he touched the ball and made countless excuses for his misses

I think it's like Diaby yesterday for France. Yes, Heskey was probably England's best player - but that's more because everyone else was so bad - and this is the type of performance you get when Heskey is your best player.

Amazing frango by the English goalie.

Assuming this had happened during a match against Brazil: What are the chances there'd be a Frango Robert Green made available in Brazilian restaurants as well? :D

Feel a bit sorry for the guy, mainly because of the inevitable tabloids crap that is about to follow. His life will never be the same. Maybe he'll be forced to move to Australia. Or Scotland. :(

Eh? Lennon only had 1 season at Tottenham while Cole was still at Arsenal and Cole was injured for pretty much the entire season :/

I'd forgotten when Cole left Arsenal, thought it was a season or 2 later :thdn:

Well yeah, that makes sense tactically more than anything, you don't want to let a quick player into the vast space you vacate by going forward when your DM is Mikel or Ballack, who are slow and can't cover. Arsenal have tried the same to some effect by putting Walcott out there, but there's not that many other players who have the sort of pace to leave Cole floundering to get back (since he's supremely fit too).

I wasn't saying anything against Cole. It is sensible to play deeper or stay back against a quick winger, but he has still struggled with Lennon's pace from time to time.

With Heskey, he did ok. Nothing spectacular, but he should have had a goal and should learn to read the line a lot better. Lost count how many times he was offside tonight.

:D

He was certainly brave and sincere to say something like that. I don't like him much as a player, but I think he is really :cool:, probably one of the coolest players in your team. :thup:

He does seem to come across as someone who doesn't appear to take himself too seriously. Seems like a pretty down to earth guy. True story - I actually ended up throwing up in his toilet at his house once (long story) and he was actually pretty cool about the whole thing.

Top bloke actually. :thup:

As one, I respectfully disagree.

Can't say so much for the Evra ones but don't agree with Cole, I've never seen him truly worried by Lennon. Maybe one or two moments but nothing match-defining.

Apart from his game winning goal against you by cutting inside Cole in our 2-1 win, and beating Cole and laying it back to Modric in our 1-0 win.

Love the idea that Heskey was MOM. He was constantly offside, missed a sitter, and apart from one pass i'd love to be talked through what he contributed to the team. He was a battering ram yes, however the USA centre back dealing with him had an awesome game imo. Heskey did alright, especially compared to what he's done for England before, but Rooney was pretty quiet and seeing as Heskey is only in the team to get the best out of him surely there is yet another case for dropping him now?

Just let Rooney do what he does for United. Let Gerrard do what he does for Liverpool and let Lennon and whoever on the left have a bit of freedom to supply Rooney.

I'm Heskey's biggest hater, but I thought he did alright tonight, however to claim he was MOM is just absurd.

Our problem was that all our wingers were pretty terrible. Lennon was probably the best of a bad bunch but he still managed to muck up a couple of good chances. Green is terrible.

Capello got it horribly wrong today. Starting Green, starting an unfit Milner, bringing on Wright-Phillips when Cole is on the bench and having Carragher replace King to form the slowest central defensive partnership the world has ever seen.

Gerrard was MOM by far, and this is coming from a United fan. Heskey was good also, held the ball and linked up well. Rooney was largely anoymous but still managed to create more chances than any other player. Had a good 20min period in the second half where he stepped it up.

Don't know if it's because i'm getting older and have been there before with England, but tbh that was a perfectly decent performance to open a tournament. First half was very even, second we got control of the game in midfield and pretty much dominated. Wasteful finishing and poor final balls were the biggest issue for me today. Green (if he plays) is unlikely to make such an error again, in fact he's already atoned for it with that save in the second half.

Johnson was excellent btw, Heskey very effective in what he was asked to do, same about the 1v1 of course, Rooney struggled to make any impression until the latter stages, but yeah, we always start slowly. I feel confident enough that if we continue to create like that we will hopefully be good enough for the quarters, maybe an outside shot at the semis with a bit of fortune.

I agree with this. Basically was just a case of getting the Sweden game out of the way. We were the better side against a decent team, we'll do alright.

Assuming this had happened during a match against Brazil: What are the chances there'd be a Frango Robert Green made available in Brazilian restaurants as well? :D

Feel a bit sorry for the guy, mainly because of the inevitable tabloids crap that is about to follow. His life will never be the same. Maybe he'll be forced to move to Australia. Or Scotland. :(

I think/suppose they are referring at that restaurant to the goals Kahn conceded in the 2002 WC final, but I doubt they would do the same with Green, he doesn't have any reputation here, unlike Kahn.

By the way, Brazilian sports news site Globo Esporte called Green's mistake an avestruz (ostrich, while frango means chicken outside football, in football it means howler by a goalie). :D

He does seem to come across as someone who doesn't appear to take himself too seriously. Seems like a pretty down to earth guy. True story - I actually ended up throwing up in his toilet at his house once (long story) and he was actually pretty cool about the whole thing.

Top bloke actually. :thup:

Yes, this is exactly the kind of footballer I like, not the stupid prima-donnas they normally are.

People thinking Heskey played well :D

He was one of the worst players on the pitch which was quite impressive as there was a number of them out there which could be labeled as such

Glen Johnson by an absolute distance was the MOTM for England

• Administrators
Apart from his game winning goal against you by cutting inside Cole in our 2-1 win, and beating Cole and laying it back to Modric in our 1-0 win.

The first was a cross which landed to him rather than him doing anything and he went onto his hitherto useless left foot, and the

is a bloody loose definition of 'beating' given he's still with his man and has forced him inside, which was my question in the first place, since he doesn't seem to have a different option other than to lay it back. That goal was Ballack's fault for totally going missing.

I thought it was pretty obvious why Capello brought SWP on? That American winger was outpacing Milner every attack so we needed someone who could keep up with him, Joe Cole isn't fast enough so he brought SWP on.

Exactly and at that rate, Milner was going to get sent off.

People thinking Heskey played well :D

He was one of the worst players on the pitch which was quite impressive as there was a number of them out there which could be labeled as such

Glen Johnson by an absolute distance was the MOTM for England

Actually laughable.

Exactly and at that rate, Milner was going to get sent off.

Not arguing that he got subbed off, he shouldn't of been starting in the first place. He's been suffering from illness and it was obvious he hadn't fully recovered. I can see the logic behind putting Wright-Phillips on, but it didn't work. I have no doubt that Cole would've been more effective when going foward.

I think/suppose they are referring at that restaurant to the goals Kahn conceded in the 2002 WC final, but I doubt they would do the same with Green, he doesn't have any reputation here, unlike Kahn.

I'll never forget that final, it was brilliant all round. Kahn had a great tournament and was so unlucky in the final. Only 2 players scored against him in the entire tournament too.

Is there any official word on Milner btw? Was it fitness/illness or precautionary because of the yellow card and poor tackling? SWP was very poor i thought, would've much preferred Joe Cole.

Yeah sorry you're right, constantly offside throughout, missed England's best chance one on one with Howard, but hey he passed the ball to Gerrard for the goal :thup: x100

Yes he missed the chance (which granted was a bad miss) but he won countless headers, set up numerous attacks and held the ball up on his own really well. To say he was the worst player on the pitch is nothing short of laughable.

Archived