Group C - England v USA Match Thread - ITV 1 7:30PM

Rhino

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as Algeria play like they did against slovenia it would perhaps be wise to rest rooney if he has a knock, england could still win the game. Apparently USA has a fairly poor record against central/eastern European teams which bodes well for England.

Why would US media portray Robert Green as a villain? Perhaps a comedy hero.

because they're not just looking at it from the USA point of view and are trying to be a neutral observer?

I also disliked the swipe at US TV for calling it a tie as opposed to a draw :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with being less familiar with a sport. What does annoy me is completely ignorant people shouting their opinion to everyone thinking they are some sort of expert.

You also get people watching for years who are obviously clueless.

In the US, these people are typically sportswriters. (oh hai, Jay Mariotti and Tony Kornheiser)

The New York Daily news hailed the 1-1 result as one of the greatest ever for the US team.

Its report said: "If the world needed any more convincing that the U.S. team was for real, it got its answer Saturday night.

"Playing one of the World Cup contenders even and taking advantage of a gift goal, the Americans walked out of Royal Bafokeng Stadium with a stunning 1-1 draw against highly favoured England in the Group C confrontation before 38,646 enthusiastic fans."

NY Daily News clearly clueless. England came in about as much of a contender as Mexico.

Think he's referring to the ITV HD picture being rubbish the rest of the game after the goal/ad. Was noticeably bad. Not quite as bad as SD, but definitely not HD. It seems like the captioning was fine, but the play definitely wasn't crisp.

I know,

He said his dad didn't realise that it was in SD and not HD, hence my post.

Already on top of that one earlier in the thread :) Cited Monmouth as a better example lol"

The battle was a tactical British victory, as the rearguard successfully covered the British withdrawal. However, strategically it was an American victory, as they were ultimately left in possession of the field, and had, for the first time, demonstrated that the Continental Army regiments could stand against British regulars.[5]

Archived