Group C - England v USA Match Thread - ITV 1 7:30PM

Rhino

England.jpg v USA.jpg

This is the big one then, the match that many people, including myself, believe will determine who wins Group C.

Underneath all the Anglo-Scots bravado, I'll be cheering on the English this afternoon. I'm sure that comes as great relief to you all. ;)

The teams are expected to be announced "2 hours before kick-off" according to the BBC, so here's the latest news:

Latest Team News

Milner to start? (BBC)

Line-up Predicitions featuring Heskey and Milner (Guardian)

Just how excited are you?

Venue: Rustenburg

Date: Saturday, 12 June 2010

Kick-off: 19:30 BST

Coverage: ITV and BBC Radio 5 live, live text commentary and video highlights on the BBC website (UK only)

TEAM NEWS

England manager Fabio Capello knows his starting XI for Saturday. Joe Cole is expected to replace the injured Gareth Barry in midfield, with Ledley King and Emile Heskey also in the side.

Rob Green, David James and Joe Hart are all vying to start in goal.

USA coach Bob Bradley has confirmed that Jozy Altidore will start up front after the striker recovered from the ankle sprain that kept him out of his team's 3-1 friendly win over Australia last Saturday.

The in-form Edson Buddle, who netted twice against the Socceroos, could partner Altidore in attack, with Robbie Findley likely to have to settle for a place on the bench.

Key defender Oguchi Onyewu remains a fitness concern for Bradley. The AC Milan player ruptured a knee tendon last October and only made his comeback on 26 May.

MATCH PREVIEW

It is 60 years this month since a part-time dishwasher named Joe Gaetjens humiliated England and gave the United States the most famous victory in their history.

His winning goal in a World Cup group match helped eliminate an England side that, like now, was among the pre-tournament favourites. There is little danger of England underestimating the opposition on Saturday.

The Three Lions under Fabio Capello's supervision know they must be wary of an American side that continues to be adept at big game hunting. Just ask Spain, who had set a world record of 15 consecutive victories before being beaten by the US in South Africa at last summer's Confederations Cup. The US then nearly overcame top-ranked Brazil in the final, leading 2-0 before succumbing to a cruel defeat.

US goalkeeper Tim Howard has promised his side "are going to fight and claw" on Saturday. Capello will demand that England respond by baring their teeth, as he himself has done in the dressing room and on the training pitch in recent weeks. Players and photographers alike have incurred his wrath.

England are the seeded team in the group and start as favourites, although several players are still auditioning for a regular starting role this summer.

The same can be said of the USA, who have failed with a cheeky bid to psych out England. The USA's new first-choice kit is based on the white one worn in the 1-0 victory over England at the 1950 World Cup, but they cannot wear it on Saturday as England are officially the home team and will play in white.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• The USA won 1-0 in the only previous competitive meeting between the two nations, at the 1950 World Cup in Brazil. The USA's only other win against England was a 2-0 home victory in June 1993.
  • England have won seven of their nine matches against the USA, including the last three.

England

• England have won all three of their internationals in 2010. They twice came from behind to win, against Egypt and Japan, having not previously managed to do so in four years.
  • England are unbeaten in their last four opening matches at the World Cup.
  • They have been held to more goalless draws than any other side in the history of the World Cup finals: nine of England's 55 matches have finished 0-0.
  • Fabio Capello's side averaged 3.4 goals per game in the qualifying campaign, more than any other nation.
  • Ledley King is poised to start a competitive England game for the first time in three years since he partnered John Terry in a 3-0 win against Estonia in a Euro 2008 qualifier.

USA

• The USA's victory over Australia in their final warm-up match ended a run of four straight defeats against other nations competing at this summer's World Cup.
  • They have gone 10 games without keeping a clean sheet.
  • They have conceded at least two goals in all eight of their previous opening World Cup matches.
  • The United States were top scorers in the World Cup qualifying campaign with 42 goals in 18 games.

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Carlos Simon (Brazil)

Assistants: Altemir Hausmann & Roberto Bratz (both Brazil)

Fourth official: Eddy Maillet (Seychelles)

CLICHE SWEEP - WINDSCREEN WIPERS TO BE WON

How long after kick-off will it take for the commentators on ITV to mention 1966?

00:02 - Bomma123

00:09 - robin trott hoof

00:20 - djstu23

00:45 - el sid

00:50 - aggressive minor

03:27 - standard liege

06:47 - Rhino

They won't!! - brett.spurs (crazy fool)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England should win this for easily outclassing the US on all positions, but for reasons of a lifetime of watching general England-fan-mongery, hooliganism and arrogance, as well as the USA simply being the underdog, I will be cheering for the USA! USA! USA!

For those of you interested in Rooney's temperament, I read yesterday that he's not been booked in his last 17 England games, but his last booking was against the USA.

BTW, if you have anything you want added to the OP just let me know. :)

So excited for this one!

Fully expect England to beat USA today though, and also go on and win the group at a canter - Need to get off to a good start.

I'll predict a nice 2-0 win for England, goals from Rooney and Gerrard.

I think we will win. I will stick my neck out and say 3-1 but tbh I would be happy with 1-0, 2-1 etc. Gutted I have been disorganised and not had time to get a new England shirt :( however I still have an old one (which I think a mate left at mine about 3 years ago) and tbh that looks pretty :cool:

While we're waiting for kick off, let's run a little sweep: How long after kick-off will it take for the commentators on ITV to mention 1966?

Take a guess at the time, including seconds, and closest wins...*looks around*...some Windscreen Wipes*

I'll get the ball rolling at 6 minutes, 47 seconds.

*P&P £3.50

For absolutely no logical reason i keep thinking Capello is going to start with Hart. Should be a good game though this, expecting England to slowly splutter into action like in every tournament but hopefully sneak a win.

This is going to be about 5-0 to England. USA team are rubbish.

You do know they're ranked 14 in the World, don't you? As good as England? No. Rubbish? Certainly not.

I've gone for a 1-0 England win. Just.

45 seconds imo

That's you added to the list in the OP now and hopefully we can get some more participants.

Hell, if we can run a sweep for the length of the pause before announcing the winner of BGT then we can surely do it for this! :D

So, for the rest of you, in minutes and seconds, How long after kick-off will it take for the commentators on ITV to mention 1966?

James Milner could be a surprise name in contention to start England's opening World Cup game against the United States on Saturday.

Milner is battling for a place with Joe Cole for a place on the left flank.

Great work by the BBC there. :D

Alternatively Jamie Carragher could be partnering Wayne Rooney up front.

Archived