The Official Argentina WC thread. Including the best player in the world.

Rafalution

Argentina's initial line-up in their first training match in Ezeiza against some local team or something was this:

Romero; Burdisso, Otamendi y Heinze; Jonás Gutiérrez, Mascherano, Maxi Rodríguez y Di María; Messi, Higuaín y Tevez

They won 4-0, 2 goals by Tevez, and one by each Messi and Di María.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He won't play a 3 man defence. It will be 4. Jonas offers nothing aside from stamina and running. Thats all he is there for, as a simple workhorse

Well looks like he did play a 3 man defense now :D

Anyway, Who played in the middle of the park alongside Mr.lonelyinthetower, Messi or Maxi?

You have to take into account that he was missing Walter Samuel and Martín Demichelis, besides Milito and Verón.

He played 3-5-2 while missing 2 CBs :D

Unless Clemente is featuring in all matches he'll play the 3-5-2 or heaven forbid a hybrid of 3-4-3 and 3-6-1

Since he doesn't have the full squad yet, including some first teamers, I think he just "played" with the remaining options, it's not certain yet for example if Tevez will be a first teamer. I think it's very possible he just settles with something like the line-up and formation of that 1-0 away victory against Germany in March:

Sergio Romero; Nicolás Otamendi, Martín Demichelis, Walter Samuel, Gabriel Heinze; Jonás Gutiérrez, Javier Mascherano, Juan Sebastián Verón, Angel Di María; Lionel Messi y Gonzalo Higuaín.

Well looks like he did play a 3 man defense now :D

Anyway, Who played in the middle of the park alongside Mr.lonelyinthetower, Messi or Maxi?

It was a training match, its means nothing. Why are you swanning around so smugly?

Israel are in UEFA. But that's mostly so that they don't have to travel to Iraq/Iran/Saudi and vice versa I think.

Also I'm pretty sure Guyana and Surinam are in the North American qualifying, despite being on the South American continent.

Cultural thing.

Cultural thing.

Yes, Guyana and Suriname were British and Dutch colonies, they have so little to do with the Iberian (Spanish/Portuguese, for those who don't know what Iberian means) culture of the rest of South America.

They are also awful, a lot worse than Venezuela and Bolivia, so it's pointless for them to play in South America, and is pointless for us to play against them.

Bah, We beat Canada 5-0 in River Plate stadium. I cant understand why we play against these kind of teams, only to say "ooohh we are good we scored 5 gooals" and after that we come back to Argentina in 1/8.

At least:

1) Unlike other teams (like Brazil), Argentina gave a proper chance for the local fans to watch the national team before going to South Africa

2) Canada are awful, but this is the very start of the preparation and the team have to gel before the WC.

3) This kind of game is good to boost confidence, although again, playing against stronger teams would be better.

Argentina's squad numbers:

1 - Diego Pozo

2 - Martín Demichelis

3 - Clemente Rodríguez

4 - Nicolás Burdisso

5 - Mario Bolatti

6 - Gabriel Heinze

7 - Ángel Di María

8 - Juan Sebastián Verón

9 - Gonzalo Higuaín

10 - Lionel Messi

11 - Carlos Tevez

12 - Sergio Romero

13 - Walter Samuel

14 - Javier Mascherano

15 - Nicolás Otamendi

16 - Sergio Agüero

17 - Jonás Gutiérrez

18 - Martín Palermo

19 - Diego Milito

20 - Maxi Rodríguez

21 - Ariel Garcé

22 - Javier Pastore

23 - Mariano Andújar

I would assume the front 4 will be Jonas, Di Maria, Messi and Higuain. Veron and Mascherano centre mid? Samuel, Demichelis, Otamendi, Heinze and then I know nothing about the keepers but i'll plump for Romero.

I would assume the front 4 will be Jonas, Di Maria, Messi and Higuain. Veron and Mascherano centre mid? Samuel, Demichelis, Otamendi, Heinze and then I know nothing about the keepers but i'll plump for Romero.

That's the team that seems most likely. But then again Maradona played Jonas at RB against Canada so who knows for sure?

I also think that Tevez will find his way into the starting XI

Anyone reckon they can second guess Maradona and name Argentina's starting XI?

Romero; Heinze, Samuel, Demechelis, Otamendi; Mascherano, Veron; Di Maria, Messi, Jonas; Higuain

Milito may start in place of Higuain, but aside from that, I think its pretty cut and dried

Anyone reckon they can second guess Maradona and name Argentina's starting XI?

What UTT said except Maxi for Jonas. Knowing Maradona's infatuation with Jonas you could say it could go either way

Oh and he could revert to 3-5-2 and put in a striker (tevez/Militio) in for one of the defenders

I don't think you can read too much into the squad numbers but Diego Pozo has been given the #1 shirt - could be significant?

Don't think Pozo will be 1st choice gk. 99% sure of it

Most people are expecting Maradona to pick a sane, sensible 4-4-2 formation.

I think he may do something crazy, like play with a 3-4-3 formation that in reality will look something like this with Jonas playing as a defensive winger/full back and Messi playing wherever he likes.

1276024088851671.jpg

I watched most their games in qualifying, he never used the same formation, nevermind same players.. from what ive seen, I'm likely guessing 3 at the back with only 1 real centre half, the other 2 as sort-of-attacking full backs, mascherano and veron in the middle, then your tevez's and messi's up front for Veron to play the long balls up to

Also, if how they played in qualifying is anything to go by, they wont even make it out the group stage, they barely even made this world cup.. if it wasn't for Martin Palermo scoring the vital last minute goal against Peru of all nations, at home, they wouldn't even been here

P.s., Argentina Vs. Peru - probably the funniest game of football i've ever seen, mainly for the freak weather conditions that came out of nowhere, the fact Peru battered Argentina most the game in a game they desperately needed to win and Maradonna's epic bellyslide when Palermo scored his jammy goal.. instant classic :D

Yes Di Maria will start, not sure on Tevez and Higuain/Milito playing.

Still think he will go with the lineup that took on Germany.

Wouldn't consider Heinze as an "attacking fullback"...

I would expect something like:

Romero

Otamendi Demichelis Samuel Heinze

- - - - - - - Mascherano - - - - - - - -

Jonas - - - - - - - - Veron - - - - - - -

- - - - - - Messi - - - - - - - - Di Maria

- - - - - - - - - - - Higuain - - - - - - -

So therefore, because I expect it, it's the last thing I expect :rolleyes:

I watched most their games in qualifying, he never used the same formation, nevermind same players.. from what ive seen, I'm likely guessing 3 at the back with only 1 real centre half, the other 2 as sort-of-attacking full backs, mascherano and veron in the middle, then your tevez's and messi's up front for Veron to play the long balls up to

Also, if how they played in qualifying is anything to go by, they wont even make it out the group stage, they barely even made this world cup.. if it wasn't for Martin Palermo scoring the vital last minute goal against Peru of all nations, at home, they wouldn't even been here

P.s., Argentina Vs. Peru - probably the funniest game of football i've ever seen, mainly for the freak weather conditions that came out of nowhere, the fact Peru battered Argentina most the game in a game they desperately needed to win and Maradonna's epic bellyslide when Palermo scored his jammy goal.. instant classic :D

Didn't Peru also hit the crossbar right after kick-off from Palermo's goal?

Maradona all but confrims Tevez will be in the starting XI

Argentina coach Diego Maradona has confirmed that Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez will be in the first XI for his country’s opening World Cup clash against Nigeria on Saturday.

Argentina are blessed with a wealth of attacking talent, including Barcelona's Lionel Messi, Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain and Champions League-winning Inter forward Diego Milito.

But Maradona has revealed he will start with Tevez is likely to get the nod ahead of at least one of those three big hitters.

"Carlitos cannot be left out of the team. He is an idol of the people, more than me and Lionel Messi, so I read," Maradona told TyC Sports.

The former Napoli legend, who is aiming to become only the second man to win the World Cup as both a player and a coach, also brushed off any lingering doubts over the fitness of key player Messi.

He added: “Everything is good with Messi. There are no problems."

Looks like its going to be 4-3-3 then

Archived