Stupidest thing you've done in FM ?

I'm sure not everyone will be willing to admit to doing something really stupid in the game but I'm still gonna try and inspire. It doesn't matter why it happened - lack of knowledge or just stubbornness everything qualifies :D

1. In FM09 I was managing R.Madrid, now they had this team Castille as their "B" team ? You know they are in Liga Adelante (2nd tier spanish league) and it was cool to send players and check the League stats, interact with their AI manager and everything.

However I wanted to make them really strong and started buying super-talent thats around 18-9-20 years old, the likes of Ramsey, Dzagoev and many others! They were worth a fortune but I had a goal so I bought a lot and sent them all to Castille.

As I anticipated Castille won the League - I was super excited.. but.. they did not get promoted :eek:

..then I checked wikipedia and realized how dumb I am :D

2. Buying Rooney for 90mil.euro at 29 years of age, making him captain right away. Then he becoming unsettled and all and removing the captaincy which made him even more ****ed off.

90 million for kaka......... although the 112 million I payed for Cristiano was worth it. FM09, and I made these signings including Benzema before Real did in real life. They were obviously somehow looking at my skillfull management and decided to copy me :D

refusing to sign ashley cole because i hate him tough i had no cover left back and surprisingly he wanted to come an was available for 3 mil in season 2 only time ive ever seen it

also in an older game signed paul robinson and halfway trough the season he became un happy and for the life of me couldnt figure it out had him as captain won treble and everything was unhappy looked seen he was a spuds suporter looked up the editor and turns out he dislikes arsenal

refusing to sign or sell a player to villa and everton after they conned me haven't sold them a player since cm98

refusing to sign ane player regardless of who they are if they support manure spuds

never sell a keeper in the same league or competition

just a few parts of my stubbornness

Bargain, he is a beast on FM10 :eek:

Well he is every time I play against him :(

Well an average rating of 6.9 yet i got van nistler.....etc for i think £6 mill and he bagged 17 goals in 24 matches. Agbon scored 2 il 14 games. I think he is good in real life but on fm10 - id get rid of him again if i was the villa.....

Back on FM09 I signed a bloke called Lutz Fullgraf, a german in singapore who's 54 or something at the start of the game, and played him in my Tottenham team every match, come what may. I finished about 8th. He had an average rating of about 5.70 or something and scored 1 penalty but I persisted with him for no reason other than it made me laugh to play an old man, relentlessly. I'm thinking of going back to do the scenario more!

1. while managing arsenal i accidentally declared interest in the liverpool job, (instead of saying that i wouldnt be interested) then saved thinking how much the board and fans would love me, it turns out that they hated me and i was fired the next month after an average run of games. i ended up having to load a game about half a season back

2. selling adebayor on fm08 for $38 million (i think thats about 16 million pounds) to AC Milan, because of what he did in real life, he went on to score 60 goals in one season and win pretty much all awards that he was up for.

FM07 or 06 when Van Nistelrooy was in his prime at Man Utd and because I has a big first team squad that required to scroll down to see them all, didnt register him for the CL as he was at the bottom of the list. Didnt qualify and got sacked!

I've done plenty of silly things in FM but never stupid. Like signing Messi for 200 million. That was legend/silly, but not stupid. He was 24.

I've often splashed out huge sums of money on players just for the fun of it. I'm At Madrid in my game and I have the best squad in the world. I've over 200m to spend on transfers and I'm 100k under my wage budget.

The only stupid thing that happens in the game is that players running out of contract or have a release fee clause get snapped from under my nose. Not paying attention to news feeds isn't stupid, because sometimes you just miss them as you're on the phone or answering the door or something. I hate when young talent is just whipped up by another team and I don't even get a chance to respond or offer a new contract. Sometimes it happens in the one day as the game auto continues. And you don't have time to stop it.

Usually when this happens the player can't move until about 6 months. So whether they're young or old, I put them on a ridiculous training schedule, new position and stick them in the reserves and hopefully ruin them. I've already got the money for the player. So I just try and wreck them before they move on.

So whether they're young or old, I put them on a ridiculous training schedule, new position and stick them in the reserves and hopefully ruin them. I've already got the money for the player. So I just try and wreck them before they move on.

Now that's just being a sore loser :D But you brought a good point I remember - STUPIDEST thing I do is while overexcited about signing some big star or super-talented kid is in the whole euphoria thing I miss to set a min.release clause and go with the default which is pretty low most of the times -_-

Signing James Beattie on a free for my Italian Serie B side, after selling my leading scorer for a pittance!

Beattie hit three goals in thirty seven games averaging 6.34.

But I still love James Beattie.

Hardly being a sore loser. The game is like a tiger, lying in wait waiting for you to be off guard then it pounces and signs a player under your nose. Always goes for a player that you don't have much cover for. I had to play 6 months of ball without cover for left back, luckily Veloso was able to play there sort of. So that helped.

The game is sneaky. And I don't agree that you can't offer your players new contracts when the computer decides to make a move for them.

Same with coaches and staff. You don't get a chance to offer them contracts and they move on.

So I don't see it as being a sore loser, I just see it as my way of tackling the flaws in the way the game works.

No skin off my nose if a good young player doesn't make it another club. It's actually better for me in the long run.

Yes but ruining or trying to ruin a young lad's career just because YOU remember to renew his contract when it was too late sounds like a pretty unprofessional thing to do :D Or any player for that matter.

Well it's one of the many crappy things I do, because I play the game the way I want. You don't get any points for being nasty or nice. So it really doesn't matter in the game.

I even bought a young Irish lad from Sligo, and he was good. Then all of sudden he was in the England setup. So I ruined him too. All I wanted to do was bring up good Irish players, but England snapped him up so I really had no choice to make the former left back a goalkeeper and then put him on crappy goalkeeping training and let him rot in the reserves. England had enough left backs and I don't know why the game won't call up players properly for international duty.

I once had the best striker in the world that was never called up to play for Italy. World Player of the year for 3 years in a row. At the age of 30 not a single international cap.

Yes but ruining or trying to ruin a young lad's career just because YOU remember to renew his contract when it was too late sounds like a pretty unprofessional thing to do :D Or any player for that matter.

He could of used FMRTE or just go back to a older save.

But thats why players should be able to 1) refuse to train in a new position or play in it (Sergio Ramos for example even though he can play DC). And 2) players like that would train on their own and separate from the squad.

And "fixing the flaws in the game"? You pretty much sold them a donkey. You conned them thats what.

I once had the best striker in the world that was never called up to play for Italy. World Player of the year for 3 years in a row. At the age of 30 not a single international cap.

That sounds buggy. Fair enough though you play as you see fit, I'm not saying to get over-realistic in the way you play or too involved it just seems exploitive to do that and like you are afraid of something? I'm never afraid of losing my young talent if they snap him - bad luck, if I need to sell him get a 50% future profit and live happily.

It's just AI anyway, how would u feel if it started doing the same thing and when u successfuly steal someone they purposely injure him say for a year or 5-6 months just as you are about to get him :D

Well if the game recognised I was doing it and players and PFA and all got involved and things like that then that would be better. But the game doesn't have that built into it.

And I'm not afraid of losing the players or anything. I just think it's stupid that you don't get the chance to offer them a new contract. Can you imagine Sergio Aguero arriving to the bosses office, "Boss, I'm off, signed for Arsenal", or if Wilshire rang Wenger, "Bolton matched my release fee and I signed for them, toodles"

It doesn't happen in real life. So in the game, the game shouldn't continue until you've offered a new contract to the player. Just like it won't let you continue until you've answered a transfer query.

I don't really care if I lose good young players. I just ruin them and that gets me the money. Especially when Man City are knocking at my door every transfer window constantly trying to buy half my team. When they sneakily steal away a youth player, it does annoy me. As I've told them umpteen times to bugger off they're not getting him.

Then when he does sign for them and I miss the news reel for that day for whatever reason it does annoy me.

So I do ruin the player just so Man City who are trying to buy half my team, don't get their way.

There's not even a way to refuse any offer from Man City or even report them for trying to sign the same player about 20 times in one month.

That's something that annoys me about the game. And when a player I'm developing goes for a min fee release clause because I had to take a dump, well yeh I'll take a dump on the player too. And on Man City, take their moneys and hand over a ruined player.

There ya's go jerks, take that!

Perhaps that is a stupid way to play the game and a stupid reason. But I find it funny.

yea ive done that a couple of times, never with someone as big as teves though

That's what I'm saying. The game shouldn't do this. Any manager would be able to offer a new contract. The game should pause until you've dealt with the contract, like it does with the transfers pending queries.

I would have made every attempt to ruin tevez before signing for Real. Revenge is sweet.

No training, in the reserves, playing as defender or goalkeeper.

Went slightly askew there topic-wise.

Stupidest thing I ever did in FM was to sign a young striker for €50m. Then he only managed to score 10 goals in 3 seasons. I sold him off for 5m.

Pretty silly really. He was young I could have loaned him to see if he was any use first.

Eugene I agree with you on this point, I lost some of my staff in this way - the game continues and Im just presented with - X offers Y contract, Y accepts, Joins.

But this should be battled in a different way - for example when concerning 1st team players the media should be booming about how you have not renewed this guy's contract and he can sign and talk with whoever he wants. The player has to show some initiative either ask for contract or comment on his status and desires.

For the youth team - the role of the media must be played by your assistant manager telling you in advance that these contracts will expire.

But in all honesty - at the beginning of each month you are presented with a statistic about whose contract is coming up and when. I guess you just need to think more in advance and check regularly like in a 6 months interval everyone's contract and calculate which ones to renew.

I do. It's once in a blue moon that a player gets swiped from under my nose. And it could be that I signed them on a long term contract but the min fee is set to 5 m. They're worth 25 mil at the age of 24, and have 2 years left on contract. Team comes in with offer for 5m, offer accepted, player joins, and I didn't even get the chance to respond. Sometimes it takes the game a few seconds to break out of auto continue.

I just don't want the game to auto continue when players and staff have other offers.

And I'd like some sort of heads up from the Ass Man regarding a players price exceeding their current value, and for the game not to auto continue when you get this junction.

And when a team continually hassles me to sign players and eventually get in there because I simply forgot about it, then I think it's only fair that I ruin the fecker and take their money.

Well fair in my book. I'm happy to do it and couldn't care less.

forgetting to renew Tevez contract and he signs for Real madrid for free.

I have never failed to renew any contracts of players I want to keep. It's just bad management.

On topic - Playing drunk is about as stupid as it gets for me. I've done some very silly things that I just can't remember doing!

Probably not the stupidest thing I've ever done but when I was playing yesterday I changed to a 3-4-3 to try to get an equaliser late in a cup game but subbed my best striker instead of the defender I'd pushed up to be replaced!

Probably not the stupidest thing I've ever done but when I was playing yesterday I changed to a 3-4-3 to try to get an equaliser late in a cup game but subbed my best striker instead of the defender I'd pushed up to be replaced!

Oh I've done that. For some reason or another you go to grab your sub striker but from some oddity in the game you've actually grabbed your sub keeper, you end up playing playing 30 minutes with your sub goalie up front because all your subs have been made.

Went on Holiday for 9 days cause we didnt have a match , when i came back Macheda has agreed to join Milan on a bosman :( Also inadvertantly started a Champions league semi final with one of my no name strikers in goal , 4 nil down after 20 mins

Substituting an outfield player with a sub goalkeeper without realising only to sub him a minute later, still won the game though.

Can't think of anything else stupid enough but as Leeds boss in FM2009 which still am, was signing Kris Boyd from Rangers for my first season in the Prem. He was CRAP and Leeds got relegated. Got rid off him straight away back to Scotland, can't remember which team.

'nuff said.

:(

Managed Norwich...

You poor thing.

For me its one of 2 things. One is forgetting that the transfer window is occasionally extended by a day or 2 and being without one of my best players for half a season as he went at the beginning of february when I thought it would go through in the summer. It would be going too far to suggest I lost the league and CL (to the team I sold him to) because of it as his replacement did very well, and in the latter case he couldn't play against me, but it wouldn't have harmed my chances. I did feel a complete idiot when I found out.

One of my better early jobs came to an end when I didn't check my assman's contract and returned from holidaying through to preseason (which I did at the time), having set contract renewals to be done by the assman, and found out half my team (including a few of my best players) had gone on frees. I tried my best to rebuild but I could have told you before the first game that I was going to fail to match up to my previous exploits and get fired. Taught me quite a few lessons though about dealing with contracts (which is always done manually now) and holidaying (which only became standard between matches, and aside from international-only games which I don't do any more, I hardly ever even do that). At the time I was hardly ever at a club long enough for staff contracts to be an issue.

Archived