dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Just played a match where the Weather was 40C and wet icon_biggrin.gif

That means I've just destroyed the highest ever temperature recorded in the UK (38.5C in Kent in 2003) playing ~1 mile away from the Sea in the rain in August icon_biggrin.gif

Which reminds me, we haven't shown off how rubbish our grounds are this year yet:

Marine's Ground

At least that explains my attendance problems - there's no where for any one to park, also not that much room for expansion, though it does appear that Marine have renamed their staduim since 2006 it's now called The Arriva Stadium" icon_rolleyes.gif

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Annihilator666 - Merthyr Tydfil - Season 16/17 - Championship

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Top Scorer - Kamil Nemec

Fans' Player of the Year - Alan Neilson

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

A difficult season, and an obvious step up in class from League One. Made a lot of new signings, and brought in four good players on loan but I still struggled, and finished in 17th place.

Unfortunately, the council blocked planning permission for my stadium. This was my first attempt at expanding, so I'm pretty bummed that it's been rejected... icon13.gif

Originally posted by michaeltmurrayuk:

Just played a match where the Weather was 40C and wet icon_biggrin.gif

That means I've just destroyed the highest ever temperature recorded in the UK (38.5C in Kent in 2003) playing ~1 mile away from the Sea in the rain in August icon_biggrin.gif

Which reminds me, we haven't shown off how rubbish our grounds are this year yet:

Marine's Ground

At least that explains my attendance problems - there's no where for any one to park, also not that much room for expansion, though it does appear that Marine have renamed their staduim since 2006 it's now called The Arriva Stadium" icon_rolleyes.gif

Think I would stand behind the goal at your games! You'll double your attendance if you charge the homeowners icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

Annihilator666 - Merthyr Tydfil - Season 16/17 - Championship

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Top Scorer - Kamil Nemec

Fans' Player of the Year - Alan Neilson

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

A difficult season, and an obvious step up in class from League One. Made a lot of new signings, and brought in four good players on loan but I still struggled, and finished in 17th place.

Unfortunately, the council blocked planning permission for my stadium. This was my first attempt at expanding, so I'm pretty bummed that it's been rejected... icon13.gif

How big is your ground? No increases when in CCC is a shock. As Chelmsford in Lg3 with a 3k ground I have the 2nd worst average

Chippenham Town - 2012/13 - Coca-Cola League Two - End of Season Update

Going into the year I expected to end up somewhere in the lower half of the table, and that's about how the first half of the season played out. Around January, however, our fortunes began to change, and we started to make slow but steady progress up the table. The signings of Lee Bowyer, and later Celestine Babayaro, bolstered weak points in the hopes of giving us a chance to sneak into the playoffs. Unfortunately, with a month to go in the season, our star striker Tommy Jones, on loan from Manchester United, got injured for the month, and while we had a great unbeaten run going into April we couldn't sustain it, and ended up 9th on the year. On the positive, we did much better than expected going into the season (Media Prediction: 24th), but the hopes of making the playoffs in the latter half of the season didn't bear out and it actually feels like a disappointing season.

Looking forward to next season, most of our goals came from Tommy Jones, so if we can't get a similarly qualified striker in, we could still be looking at a relegation battle. Fortunately, we've got a little money in the kitty now, so player quality should rise all around, and I think we'll easily stay up, and hopefully contend for promotion.

Final Table

Graph

Results p3

Transfers

The season hasnt quite started yet, but I am already predicting a strong relegation battle on my hands. We barely avoided the drop last season, have lost some of our good players due to me not being able to offer them good enough contracts.

I havent yet managed to sign anyone to try and strengthen the squad and the board still doesnt see the point in giving me a parent club (surely with our lousy finances some extra yearly income would be a good idea?).

I have had to state that my minimum expectations were respectable league position and I'm scared if i dont match that for the second season running, my challenge attempt will be over.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&...003583&t=k&z=18&om=1

Thats my pitch, notice i didnt say ground, i said pitch. Well one of them is anyway.

How do i get my form graph on, can i do it in the BSS?

I've won 6 on the trot including wins against teams in the play off spots, Ryan Wignall has been the best player, and my goalkeeper is a revelation.

Three games into life in League Two and I'm certainly feeling a bit better about our chances of avoiding the drop. 2 draws away from home against two experienced league sides and a 4-1 hammering of Bury at the Kingsmeadow Stadium have placed us nicely in mid-table. Add to that a rather nice cashcow in the form of Southampton away in the League Cup 1st Round (we lost 4-0, but was only expected to enjoy the competition anyway!) and things are looking good early days.

Well it was inevitable after 6750 days (18 years) in charge of Stamford FC, I have been sacked.

A run of bad performances, issues with finances and my luck generally running out has lead to the sacking.

Well that was probably one of my best games of FM for years, and it was my 4th attempt at this years challenge (and only one that really got going).

I will now wait with the rest of you on this thread for the patch (hopefully soon) before I try again.

Originally posted by Gilbster:

Well it was inevitable after 6750 days (18 years) in charge of Stamford FC, I have been sacked.

A run of bad performances, issues with finances and my luck generally running out has lead to the sacking.

Well that was probably one of my best games of FM for years, and it was my 4th attempt at this years challenge (and only one that really got going).

I will now wait with the rest of you on this thread for the patch (hopefully soon) before I try again.

Bad luck. I fear i may be joining you in the dole queue. playing really badly and unable to find a workable tactic. I'm also far too far in debt for a BSP club and after 2 seasons in this league and currently 21st, not looking good.

Hardluck Gibster,

i enjoyed reading your posts, good luck for next time!

Damn, that sucks... icon_frown.gificon13.gif

Originally posted by smithers08:

dafuge ,

i have ended my current game as i am going to wait until the patch is released and start a new game in this challenge . so will you be able to delete my challenge with afc wimbledon , therefore i can begin a new game icon_smile.gif

thanks icon14.gif

If you go to the Options section of the website, you can end your game.

Bedford - Year 10/11 - Coca-Cola League Two - End of Season Update

I have always been from 3rd or above in blue square south and blue square premier but this season was different. I think I never was 3rd or above, although I always was near the playoff region. Finished 7th, the last playoff position. This position was above my expectations because I didn't think I had a squad to challenge for the playoffs.

I had captured 3 players on loan and I must say they made the difference.. I did it to the playoff final which was a thrilling encounter. I got promoted and now my main objective is to have my own squad and not rely on many loans anymore.

Final Table

Playoff Semi-final Leg 1

Playoff Semi-final Leg 2

Thrilling Playoff Final

Chippenham Town 2008-2009 Blue Square South

End of season update

Media prediction: 21st

Because of a lack of players the pre-season was only 2 matches. Won one 1-0. Lost the other against Hull 0-8. We started the season with only 4 points from the first 4 matches. After that things started to get better and slowely we did go towards a play-off position. My 2 loanplayers (Frankie Artus - AMC and Alex Nicholls - AMR/ST) from Bristol City carried the team most of the season. What worries me the most is that if Alex Nicholls was injured, the other players didn't score goals. Together they scored 47 of my 77 leaguegoals. This must gonna give me some trouble next season. I hope I can sign some decent replacement.

Anyway, we ended 3th in the league and won the Play-off semifinals on penalties. The final we won 3-2 against AFC Wimbledon. Ryan Beswick is player of the year.

table

last matches

Unlucky Hitchin go down at Kingsmeadow

Despite taking a 1-0 lead, and creating the better of the chances, we found ourselves 3-1 down at half time.

Tyrone Thompsons goal after 48 mins made it 3-2, but against the run of play, Wimbeldon went 4-2 ahead.

After a late onslaught, Andy McIntosh scored in the 86th minute to give Hitchin some hope.

AFC 4 - 3 Hitchin

Well after the attendance bug that hit me which i told you all about, i decided to carry on playing to see what will happen!

It went down to the boil on the last day of the season, i had to beat Accrington and Tranmere to lose for me to finish 3rd in Lg 2 and go up.

And you guessed it, that happened.

I am now Billericay in Lg 1, with a 1535 stadium!

However wonder news happened.

The board agreed to expand the stadium by 900 seats! haha!

But that is not the great news.

This is.

I get to groundshare with Gillingham for half the season.

Being sensible, i arranged 5 friendlies against good teams, and each time they sold out, earning the club 100k a pop.

I have just played by 1st league game at home to port vale at preistfield and yes to my horror...

it was a sell out!

fantastic!

there is life in this challenge yet! icon_wink.gif

(sorry, no screenshots, cos im not great with that sort of thing!)

Oh and a quick tip to anyone struggling. I was really struggling in season 4, my first in League 2.

Then i turned it all around signing a handful of guys by:

Going to view a European Under 21 team.

Then flicking through them all.

Signing a few randomers (your obviosuly not going to be able to see their stats.)

Bit of a gamble, but it worked for me.

Got 4 players that Ade Akinbyi (by great Ass man!) tell me are Premiership standard.

And a whole host of clubs chasing them.

Hope this helps icon_cool.gif

Thanks to this dramatic penalty shoot-out, we face a money spinning tie against Manchester City! The best bit about that though is in the first game, we were 3-0 down, and losing 4-2 with about 5 minutes to go, but thanks to Sheringham (again), who scored 4 times, we snatched a replay. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Boycey1987:

Oh and a quick tip to anyone struggling. I was really struggling in season 4, my first in League 2.

Signing a few randomers (your obviosuly not going to be able to see their stats.)

Got 4 players that Ade Akinbyi (by great Ass man!) tell me are Premiership standard.

I might be wrong ere, and correct me if I am, but aren't you supposed to have to be able to scout them before you sign them, because of the randomer player making the game too easy, with all the Poles and Slovaks etc that people were signing.

Originally posted by Boycey1987:

Signing a few rand

Hitchin Town in the BSS - Season 2009/10

A disappointing season in so many ways.

The season started with a 2-0 home win against Boreham Wood, in a 10 game stretch which yielded 8 wins 1 draw and 1 defeat. Despite a disappointing 4-1 defeat in the FA Cup 3rd Qual round, October was a decent month.

19 games into the season we sat proudly on top of the league, despite a couple of defeats on the trot.

However, our poor form ran through November and December going 5 games without a win.

The new year started poorly with a 4-1 home defeat to Ebbsfleet, and we continued with inconsistencty and the form of a playoff side for the rest of the year, needing a win on the last day of the season to guarentee the playoffs.

We did indeed beat Basingstoke at home, and finsihed the season in 4th, and into the playoffs.

Final League Table

As above, we lost 6-4 on aggregate, to eventual winners AFC Wimbledon.

First Leg

Second Leg

As the graph shows, we slipped from 1st to 4th eventually. Graph

Our top goal scorer from the season was Pierre Joseph-Dubois

I am, strangely it may sound, satisfied that we did not get promoted, beacuse I do not believer we were good enough. Despite having great strikers, our defence is simply not good enough, and will be the area I address for next season, and perhaps some more muscle in midfield.

Our finances are looking bad, despite me shipping out Alan Stubbs for 5k to Stafford (he performed very poorly).

Lets hope we can achieve promotion next season!

Originally posted by sergent21:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boycey1987:

I might be wrong ere, and correct me if I am, but aren't you supposed to have to be able to scout them before you sign them, because of the randomer player making the game too easy, with all the Poles and Slovaks etc that people were signing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, those rules were put in place to make the signings of players a bit more realistic.

Originally posted by spankie:

Hitchin Town ground apparently.

I have no idea where they can fit in 3800 people.

As someone who lives in Hitchin, I'd point out that that image belies the amount of standing room there is at Top Field. And FM08 got it wrong, Hitchin's capacity is a bit over 4,000, at least according to every source I've been able to find.

I noticed for the first time in all my time playing FM that Hitchin got promoted after one season in my current game (have been playing as Man City otherwise). I decided that out of loyalty to my hometown I should take them on as a second manager (spotted them in mid-October) but since I don't rate my managerial ability, I won't embarass myself by posting my results here :p

Wow, that sucks. Unlucky. icon_frown.gif

I hope you'll be back once patched. I've been following your updates. icon14.gif

Just one last thing before I let you get back to your challenge posting. Just noticed that people seem to have quite club badges for the promoted teams as well as the playable ones at the start of the game. The one thing I thought was missing while playing as Hitchin was a proper club badge. Could anyone possibly link me to a badge pack with it in?

Archived