dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by 3Sixty:

More stadium expansion

This will take me to about 26,000 icon14.gif

I've just had one too, will take me to about 20000. In the meantime though, I'm ground sharing with Birmingham, so have 30000 seats till march!

Thing is, the season ticket prediction is 21700, so when my expansion is done and we move back, there'll be season ticket holders without seats.

The club also took out another loan. Monthly repayments now total £160K.

Hmmmmmmm......

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

On a related note, I have found that signing all your players to full time contracts helps the team. It won't help you turn pro but the full time training makes quite a difference.

Yep, that's what I forgot to do in my first (doomed) Bedford game, I had all my players on part-time contracts. So they weren't progressing in training, and gradually got worse. When I started my new game, I remembered and signed nearly all my players to full time contracts, so they were able to train properly and progress.

Even if your player says he wants a part-time contract, an extra £30 or £40 per week usually changes his mind... icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Precisely what I've done with AFC Wimbledon. Got to October, and when reviewing who I probably would and wouldn't be keeping offered all the players I thought I'd like to keep past 09/10 full time contracts & extensions, and those I didn't think would feature beyond June I gave new full time deals, but only until 30th June 2010. That way they will keep fitter in their last stint with the club.

Seems to have helped out, sitting 4th with about 12 matches to go. Now just to sort my defence out!

Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3Sixty:

More stadium expansion

Nice upgrades to training and youth facilities too. What are they up to at the moment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Training: Average

Youth: Adequate

Still need a lot of improving.

Chelmsford City BSP 2009-10

what an awful season started with a win but then it was downhill from ther with us really struggling no matter what i tried and finally finished in 23rd

managed to get a parent club in the form of Charlton Athletic who i managed to loan 3 players from and a few others were sign transfers which meant this was the squad for the season and with the season we had there was no real star player but he was are best

on the good side we made over £320,000 profit this season so i hope the board give me some transfer funds next season as even though i made £200,000 odd last season they never gave me any funds so i could not do much in transfers this season

heres my profile and the clubs confidence

goals for next season

1) get promoted again

2) improve squad

3) get further in Setanta Shield and FA Trophy

Originally posted by 3Sixty:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3Sixty:

More stadium expansion

Nice upgrades to training and youth facilities too. What are they up to at the moment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Training: Average

Youth: Adequate

Still need a lot of improving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those seem good compared with mine of

Training: Fairly basic

Youth: Basic

Originally posted by joshpmilton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

On a related note, I have found that signing all your players to full time contracts helps the team. It won't help you turn pro but the full time training makes quite a difference.

Yep, that's what I forgot to do in my first (doomed) Bedford game, I had all my players on part-time contracts. So they weren't progressing in training, and gradually got worse. When I started my new game, I remembered and signed nearly all my players to full time contracts, so they were able to train properly and progress.

Even if your player says he wants a part-time contract, an extra £30 or £40 per week usually changes his mind... icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Precisely what I've done with AFC Wimbledon. Got to October, and when reviewing who I probably would and wouldn't be keeping offered all the players I thought I'd like to keep past 09/10 full time contracts & extensions, and those I didn't think would feature beyond June I gave new full time deals, but only until 30th June 2010. That way they will keep fitter in their last stint with the club.

Seems to have helped out, sitting 4th with about 12 matches to go. Now just to sort my defence out! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definately something i will take on board, thanks

Im starting to pick up some form with Billericay, just beat Basingstoke 5-2 in the league after a 2-0 defeat to St. Albans, a couple draws to Newport and Ebbsfleet have helped the cause aswell, im looking for a mid-table finish to build upon next season and push for promotion.

Hm, this is the first time I've not gotten a completely positive message in regards to a contract extension. I guess it's because I didn't meet the board's FA Cup ambitions, which feels rather harsh. Not to mention they're contemplating replacing me with a scout that I scouted and signed, and who I now can't seem to convince to extend his deal. icon_mad.gif

Not too worried yet, but I guess there's no more room for underperformances.

Chippenham Town - 2012/2013 - Coca-Cola League 2 - Mid-season Update

The jump to League football has proven much tougher than moving up to the Conference did, as after a quick start in the first couple matches we rapidly fell to the lower half of the table. Some quality loan signings from Premiership sides is probably all that's kept us from being closer to relegation. Still, there's much hope left in this season, as the league has been very competitive, and even though we're sitting 16th halfway through the season, we're only 6 points back of the playoffs, and things could easily swing in our favor. Still, we're also only 9 points off the relegation zone, so I'd like to think we'll end up, at worst, somewhere in the middle, and be able to get set for a better season next year.

Table

Graph

Results p1

Results p2

Its November, I have managed 4 wins in the league all season, and my ridiculously bad form has just been confirmed by a 6-2 loss in the FA Cup first round to a team in the division below me.

My finances are awful due to being £20k over my wage budget (wouldnt have enough players if I stayed in budget), and due to my new stadium being built.

It is also contract renewal year. I am already doubtful how I can turn this around and keep a job. Due to the new stadium and loan repayments we cant afford to be relegated, but if the players dont figure out how to play soon we probably will be. icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

I know the feeling, first season in the Championship, played 10 games so far and only have 7 points... icon13.gif

I wouldnt mind so much but its our 3rd season in league 1, and both the other seasons have been top half finishes, inclusive of just missing out on playoffs last season by 2 points.

And as I write this, we have just lost in the paint trophy too, so at least we dont have any more cups to worry about.

Stamford - Mid Season Update - League 1 2025/26

At the half way point of the season, I think I should give up and go home!

We are currently in 23rd position and have just lost 3-2 to the team below us. We are 7 points away from safey, with 1 game in hand.

The board are very disappointed with my current league position and not overly happy with my control over wages or finances.

Originally posted by michaeltmurrayuk:

My Keeper's just scored from his own area icon_biggrin.gif was only ~85 yards due to my small pitch, and it's his sixth goal of the season (4 pens and a free-kick) which is actually more than one of my strikers and not that far from my top scorers at Frickley in FM2007.

Nice one. There was actually a guy who posted in the General Forum a couple of weeks ago whose GK had scored 51 goals in a season... icon_eek.gif

AFC Wimbledon - Blue Square Premier - 2009/10 - End of Season Update

So, the lads had to step up to the next challenge of playing in the Blue Square Premier. Having walked the league last season, I was quietly confident of performing quite well, and potentially finishing top half. My confidence took a knock when I looked at my squad once all my loan signings left for their clubs and realised I had a first team squad of about eight players, and half of those weren't up to scratch. So I went out and spent most of pre-season desperately trying to sign some players, with a lot of players coming and going.

A fantastic start to the season set us on our way to what ultimately was a great season for us. The lowest place we sunk to all season was when we slipped down to ninth, as shown here. As said, first half of the season was decent given my pre-season expectations, however we tried our best to screw it up at the end of the season, with four consecutive defeats before beating Newport Co in the run in.

We eventually finished in a brilliant 4th place in the league, pairing us up with Oxford United in the play-offs. It was a shakey affair in the first leg where we actually trailed twice, before taking the game to Oxford and stealing a 4-2 win. For the second leg, we went slightly more defensive and were able to manage a 1-1 draw, sending us through to the play-off final. We, once again, trailed twice against Stevenge Borough, before on loan subsitute Charlie Sheringham added another dramatic final win to the family name by grabbing a brace to give AFC Wimbledon promotion.

Delighted with our squad, primarily made up of youngsters showing great maturity. Needless to say, confidence in my abilities is high as I led them to consecutive promotions. Star player of the season was free signing, Jay Rodriquez, who somehow managed to be even more ruthless in front of goal than Victor Moses last season. Even after paying the squad for their final league position, our finances look very promising as we move into the Football League.

Some more club records broken this season with record scores and scorers. I'm pleased with my profile page, as my reputation now up to regional. My information page shows I've now managed over 100 games and almost earned £50k so far at AFC Wimbledon.

We are going up, say we are going up! icon_biggrin.gif

Plus I noticed Newcastle made it to the FA Cup Final only to lose to Championship Fulham on penalties, which made me chuckle.

This is not good my assistant manager is being linked with my job and when I asked the board for a new contract they said "They hope to be in a position to make you an offer in the very near future" is that a good sign or a bad sign?

They seem happy with me apart from our exits from the Setanta Shield and FA Trophy a round early - Hopefully FM2009 will let us say how seriously we are going to take the cups, as I use them for my second string/youngsters (whenever I play a first teamer they either get injuried or play rubbish and we lose anyway).

Originally posted by michaeltmurrayuk:

This is not good my assistant manager is being linked with my job and when I asked the board for a new contract they said "They hope to be in a position to make you an offer in the very near future" is that a good sign or a bad sign?

They seem happy with me apart from our exits from the Setanta Shield and FA Trophy a round early - Hopefully FM2009 will let us say how seriously we are going to take the cups, as I use them for my second string/youngsters (whenever I play a first teamer they either get injuried or play rubbish and we lose anyway).

Twice I had to wait until one month before my contract expired before the board offered a new one, even though they were pleased with my performance. So, hopefully you'll get it at the end of May... icon14.gif

Season 2014/15 Review - Hendon in the Coca-Cola Championship

I feel like the margins were a lot smaller this year, often winning by the odd goal or drawing because the opposition equalized in the dying minutes of the game. Sold a lot more of my first team players in the pre-season than I expected, but opted to give some of the younger talents the chance rather than spending on a whole set of new players, which is probably the main reason for the less decisive matches and lack of goals compared to what I'm used to. Ended up strengthening the team with a couple of new strikers in January, but they had minimal impact on this season's results.

League Table

Villa were comfortable winners without anyone ever really putting on a challenge. My own record ended up almost identical to last season (22-10-14 vs 20-12-14).

Past Positions

Off to a slow start due to injury problems from the pre-season games, but got it together after 10 rounds or so and stayed in the playoff section for most of the season.

The Squad

Would've liked another strong striker next to Luleyski, but no one quite delivered. Jack Baker cost me a fortune but is rather inconsistent. Lethal when he's got a good game, though.

Transfers

Loads of people left Hendon this season, both from the reserves and from the first team. Decided to splash some cash on a good forward (Jack Baker).

Star Player

Yeah, him again. He's having an increasingly hard time burying his chances though, often getting up to 10 shots off per game, but rarely scoring more than 1. If we end up going up, I'm thinking I might just try to cash in on this guy. I'm thinking we'll need someone more clinical to survive the Premier League.

Jon Mills

He's still developing nicely compared to previous seasons, though the agility/balance part is slightly concerning. A couple more years and I'm hoping he'll be good enough for the Premiership.

Random Stats

Balance: £28,188,827

Wages: £103,280/£158,399 (The board is insane, I'm losing money as it is.)

Average Attendance: 13764 (14939 in the league) (Still comparatively low and all thanks to grounds sharing. The expanded Claremont Road is only a 10518 capacity site.)

Media Prediction: 13th

Squad Average Age: 22

Training Facilities: Average

Youth Facilities: Good

Merthyr Tydfil Halway Season 2008/2009

Okay so just going to post a few screenshots of the first half of my first season as well as my Manager Profile finally.

So hope these work

Manager Profile - profileday1bp3.th.jpg

League Table - leaguetablehalfwaygr8.th.jpg

Squad - firstseasonhalfwaysquadmd0.th.jpg

I just hoped this worked and that we can build on our lower midtable posistion, a few points in this league means everything as most teams are so close.

Forgot to add that we are already out of all cup competitions, both the FA Cup and FA Trophy got knocked out by Ilford who don't even have a league, in the FA Cup it was the 3rd qualifying round and in the FA Trophy it was the first round qualifying round (if they have qualifying rounds I can't remember, if not the first round.) and in the Setanta Shield we got to the 3rd round before being thrashed 5-0 by Dorchester.

Hitchin Town League 2 - 2010/1011

After winning the BSS and BSP I suspected that my players may be out of their depth playing in League 2.

They yet again surpassed my expectations with the third successive league trophy. It was actually won with a game to go as I was at that point 3 points clear with a superior goal difference.

Overview

As can be seen we were crap in the cups and got knocked out of all of them very early. Which probably helped with the league form.

The most shocking thing is that I had no player sent off this season and only 30 yellow cards.

The core of the squad that won the BSP remained in the starting 11 and they were amply aided by 3 loanees including a pair from Man City.

Transfers

Chedwyn Evans - joined on loan from Man City. At first I thought that I had brought in a dud striker as he didn't score his first goal until his 6th game. So his scoring record is actually 29 goals in 32 appearances which is impressive in anyone's book.

James Cronesberry - also made a preyy good impression on the team. altough he was used mainly as back up for the wingers. He also was Hitchin's first domestic international although with the U21s.

Joanthan Patterson - is a DC I got who I suspect has got good potential. I do need to loan him out to get a lot more first team football next season.

Keith Gilroy was yet again the fan's player of the season. My ass man doesn't rate him but the average rating and 15 assists means that he'll be keeping his starting place for a while. He has also now been my first player to make it on to Hitchin's favoured personnel list.

Hitchin also got 4 players into the team of the season for League 2.

Russell Martin also got the 2nd best boal fo the season

At the end of the season the board have actually spent a little money to improve the facilities at the club.

Future aims:

1. Stay up - it won't be easy though.

2. Rebuild the squad. I have a number of players just not good enough for League 1, in fact some of the struggled in League 2. I'll need to sell some to get some transfer money in as, yet again, the club just refuse to give me any funds.

3. Eventually get a stadium expansion - the average for this season was 2628 and the capacity is 3800.

4. Get another feeder and parent club. QPR have been good to me but I do need other options. Fisher are not in a playable league and so I'm reluctant to loan players to them.

Stamford - League 1 - End of Season Update 2025/26

Well I thought the pre-season got off to a great start when the board announced the £10Million new 10,728 capacity stadium that will be built within a year. Although with already a dodgy finances, and now a bank loan, and high wage bill I was a bit worried.

The season then started properly and all I can say is how does a a team go from being a promotion candidate last season, to finishing 1 point away from relegation this season?

If I can hold onto my job over the summer, I will be doing a lot of rebuilding and hopefully sorting the squad out, but since my wages are being limited and I fear my expensive players will have to be sold, I am doubtful about my chances for next season (if I am still in charge).

I was no higher than 16th all season, and am too depressed to give more than this 1 screenshot for this season.

Table - 20th Place

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Looks like Dorchester have been doing their very own dafuge's challenge. icon_wink.gif

Thats not the only surprising team in a divsion.

Its 2026 and:

Everton have been in league 1 for at least 3 seasons.

Liverpool and Newcastle are currently in the Championship

Man Utd, Aston Villa and Leicester are the relegated teams from the Premiership this season.

Last season Liverpool were almost relegated to League 1, where they would have been able to resume their local derbies with Everton!

Archived