dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by timers:

3sixty, would you say your success comes from your TEAM, and thus the players that are a part of it, in each position, or rather your tactics, including your formation, team and player instructions?

I'd say a mixture, i was suffering in the prem until i sorted out a decent tactic and bought in some decent defenders.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2013-14 Season Update.

Chippenham Town, 1st year in League 2.

Final Position: 4th and promoted!

This was the season of comebacks.

Let's start with the league. Having won the BSP title, Setanta shield and FA trophy in my return to BSP the previous year, my reputation shot up to national and players who had previously shunned the club were now eager to join up. I went into a bit of a spending spree signing up no less than 13 players. The wage budget was a massive 20k, 3k over-budget. For the first 3 months, we struggled to find our footing. The gap between conference and league football was apparant immediately. Consistency in results and performances were hard to come by and relegation was an immediate threat.

Then around January, realizing the gravity of our situation, I looked about for players to loan in and surprise surprise, there was no short term loan limit! Kicking myself for not realizing this earlier I immediately went into a loan spree and got a few players in that I felt would be able to add something to the team rather than just provide cover, at zero cost to the finances.

The turn around was immediate. Words do little to describe the nature of our ascendancy to the top. Have a look at this graph.

We stumbled somewhat with 6 games remaining but managed to hold together to have us within shot of 2nd spot with 2 games to go. 2 wins would secure us the promotion.

We stumbled at home and could only draw 1-1. Still, 2nd spot wasn't secured yet and going into the last game a win for us and a draw for the teams above would see us get the promotion. A 3-0 away win was consolation as we missed out on automatic promotion by a point! I was gutted.

Play-off Semi Final

Onto the play-offs then. We were up against Shrewsbury, the fans were pessimistic. 60 minutes into the first away leg, we were down 3-0 and looking incapable of scoring. My 30k signing who had been reliable in patches was shooting blanks up front and he was subbed off for the club's leading goal scorer, a loan from Chlesea who hadn't been at his best in recent games. A minute later, he was on the score sheet and we were given a life line. 10 minutes later, our young target man who had only managed to work his way back into the first 11 got the second to give us a fighting chance in the return home leg.

The home match was an anti-climax as Shrewsbury were surprisingly a shadow of the side that almost eliminated us. We were comfortable 2-0 victors, the 2 scorers in the away leg again on the score sheet.

Play-off Final

So for the third consecutive year, we would be making our way to Wembley for the deciding match against Accrington Stanley, a team we had never beaten. A team with the top two league goal scorers. The odds were against us and the Accrington manager attempted to get into our heads with some comments to the press. I ignored him.

We got off to a bad start, conceding a goal in the 2nd minute. We leveled things 12 minutes later when our loan from Chelsea finished off a wonderful incisive through pass. Celebrations were cut short as we conceded immediately after the kick-off. 5 minutes later, a quick counter attack had us looking at defeat. 3-1 down at the break, we would have to do the impossible.

We went all out for the second half and 5 minutes later, a quick fire double from the Chelsea loan had us back on level terms. Miraculously, we were back in it!

The remaining 40 minutes were as tense as ever. Both teams had their chances, both failing with their final shot. With 10 minutes remaining, the opposition striker made his way into the penalty area and fired home a shot - straight into the arms of the keeper. A quick long kick was met by the hand of god (according to the Accrington players) from our young target man who layed it off for our hat trick hero. He latched onto it, beat the too-slow retreating defenders and fired home the clincher to see us into league 1.

Best Match Ever!

Final League Positions

^^^

Andreas Weimann as actually a loan from Aston Villa! I did have another striker from Chelsea but he only made 7 appearances with a return of 2 goals.

I'm probably going to have to cull my squad next season and get some loans as backup instead.

Well done 3Sixty icon14.gif

First European silverware in this challenge so far.

Congrats to def for getting to League 1. If you thought that the gulf between League 2 and BSP was big then you're in for a shock.

I'm finding life in League 1 very tough, although that might be because I've got a whole new defence and central midfield that need to settle.

Originally posted by SSC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tommy79:

Hi , this is me taking the challenge

Carshalton Manager

How do you get knowledge in 5 countrys to start with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on your nationality, some have set knowledge of various leagues. Check out some Australian scouts, coaches etc & you'll see they all have exactly the same.

First of all congrats. on the European Success!

Secondly, coming to the end of my contract with AFC Wimbledon, and this came up. It's a good thing I think, but with the new patch estimated to be out later today I think it's all going to be irrelevant anyway!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sergent21:

Was just wondering, how many people are restatring when the patch comes out(hopefully today)??

I am icon14.gif

How significant a difference do you think it will make? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I just got sacked for taking AFC Wimbledon to the top half of League Two in three seasons. I now don't really have much of a choice in the issue.

Chippenham Town Season Update

well this is goingto be very brief as it is well disapointing really. spent yesterday playing through my 20/21 and 21/22 seasons finnished 21st in both seasons in the championship. thats now three seasons on the trott that i have narrowly avoided relegation. came down to the last game of the season to save me this time. Unless there are some dramatic improvements in the squad i can see me spenind a very long time propping up the championship.

Originally posted by jsar:

Chippenham Town Season Update

well this is goingto be very brief as it is well disapointing really. spent yesterday playing through my 20/21 and 21/22 seasons finnished 21st in both seasons in the championship. thats now three seasons on the trott that i have narrowly avoided relegation. came down to the last game of the season to save me this time. Unless there are some dramatic improvements in the squad i can see me spenind a very long time propping up the championship.

I've come to the conclusion that sometimes you have to take a step backwards to be able to take two steps forward.

You might find that if you do get relegated then you'll have the opportunity to rebuild your squad from the ground upwards with some decent money to spend from selling those players who want to leave after relegation.

I suspect that I'll have to do the same in my game as I got to League 1 a lot quicker then I should have.

Gloucester City – Season 2008/09 – Blue Square Conference South

A season of hope and fear. Things started with mad transfer market searching. 16 players arrived before the end of the transfer window and another 4 came in mid season, one being a loan player from parent club and hated rivals Cheltenham. Transfer History

Of all the players brought in only one stood out to me as something special at this level, Charlie Henry. Sadly he had a tendency to pick up a lot of injuries which would hinder our promotion challenge. Charlie Henry

Still we confounded the critics who thought we would finish dead last and had a go at winning games. Club Info - Predicted Finish 22nd

The cups were a bust which probably helped with the league form. Non League Yate knocked us out F.A Cup in the second qualifying round 1-0, Welling Utd snatched a late 3-2 win in the second round of the Setanta Shield and lastly non league Brentwood put three past us to dump us out of the F.A Trophy in the third qualifying round of that.

So we had full concentration on the league and actually did well. We started slow but after the first couple of games we just kept on climbing. A mean defence which only conceded 48 goals, the best defence in the league helped us as we only lost 9 games.

We also had a goalscoring machine in Matthew Smith who had a habit of hitting hat-tricks in some cracking games like the 4-4 with Chelmsford, the 5-3 win over Lewes and the superb 5-1 away demolition of Weston Super Mare. In the end he managed to net 27 goals for us. Matt Smith

So at the end of the season we sat 5th and in a promotion spot. P42, W22, D11, L9. Over half of games ended in victory. For a rag tag bunch of nobodies that isn’t too shabby. League Table

The Play Offs would provide excitement and heart break…

Play Off Semi Final Leg 1 – Crawley (A)

Crawley had finished second in the league and beaten us in the away league fixture so we weren’t too confident going into this.

Crawley started well and put us under constant pressure but against the run of play Simon Shepard managed to score from a flowing counter attack. Just as we looked to be in control Brian Dutton tried to cut out a Crawley Cross and put it in the top corner with a diving header. Still we managed to come back and regained the lead when Matt Smith used his pace to race onto a long ball over the top and slot home. Victory wasn’t to be though as Crawley equalised 3 minutes into injury time. Madjo firing in from 20 yards.

Play Off Semi Final Leg 2 – Crawley (H)

The confidence was back following the result of the first leg and if we couldn’t win here then it just wasn’t meant to be.

2-0 down after 27 minutes, it just wasn’t meant to be. We couldn’t string a pass together and the hairdryer treatment was out at half time. As good as the team talk was though it was Ryan Cresswell of Crawley who changed the game on the 50 minute mark, a two footed lunge and they were down to 10. Pettefer pulled one back with a stunning free kick and then sub Neil Robinson, who was on the bench because he could only manage 2 goals from 14 starts, did the rare thing of scoring. It was a tap in but they all count. Back level and to Extra Time it went.

Robinson managed to light up extra time too, a far post header doubled his tally for both the match and the season. We only needed to see out the last 8 minutes of extra time. No sooner had Crawley kicked off from our goal had they scored their third. Damn my team of idiots switching off. To penalties we would go.

Dale Roberts in the Gloucester net saved 3 and we were through to the final. 5-5 and 3-1 on Penalties.

Play Off Final – AFC Wimbledon (N)

I’d love to give a detailed report but the pain still lingers. We were battered from pillar to post, like the previous two meetings we had in the league and like those we lost this. By some miracle though we only lost 1-0 to a heart breaking 83rd minute strike as my defender seemed to stand and watch their forward pick his spot. Play Off Final

Still 5th a great achievement and this team can do it again, I hope. They aren’t the best but they seem to fit my tactic well and should Charlie Henry manage to stay fit enough to pass the thirty game mark then we could match this seasons great performance and maybe we wont be favourites to finish bottom. End of Season Squad

It's still early in the season, but I'm rather worried about my Premiership future. We even drew against Nottm Forest. Scoring doesn't seem to be that big a problem, but defending... Lost 3-5 to Crystal Palace, 0-5 to Chelsea and 2-4 to Sunderland, to pick some of the worse results. Seems my defenders just aren't cutting it at this level, not to mention Mills getting 5's and 6's.

Next up, Liverpool at New Anfield. /o\

Originally posted by def:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3Sixty:

Can i really turn this down?

icon_eek.gif

I'd take it, unless you're financially secure or he's some kind of god. How good is he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I turned it down, they offered me 18.5m a few weeks before, I'm holding out for 35m before i even think about selling him.

Scab - I struggled until i got some good defenders, i had the 2nd best defensive record last season, they are seriously worth spending a lot of money on.

Gloucester City – Season 2009/10 – Blue Square Conference South

12 in and 5 out and some good depth and strength was added to the squad and £14k to the coffers. Not much but money is money. Transfers

The Pick of the players coming in were centre half Chris Kamdjo who was released by Reading, Philip Harvey released by Alfreton and Kyle Wilson snatched from Barrow after scoring 40 goals in 82 games for them over the last couple of seasons.

Chris Kamdjo Phil Harvey Kyle Wilson

Maybe it was last season’s performances, maybe it was the summer’s signings or a combination of both but the media had us pegged for a 10th placed finish this season. So they didn’t expect us to be whipping boys but doubted our ability to match last seasons highs, we’ll show them. Club Info - Predicted Finish 10th

Again we bombed out of all the cups at the earliest stage but that only sat well with me and our challenge for promotion. A cup run might get the fans on side but promotion should always be the main aim, unless you have no chance and nothing to play for.

Our League Form was great from the start and we were always in the top 7 all season. We may have conceded 3 more than last season but we scored 10 more and cut out all the draws we were getting a year ago.

Towards the end of the season things were very hairy with us jumping each week between 3rd and 6th which would see us fall short of promotion. Thankfully wins in our last two games of the season saw us finish third. The league performance had improved but could we manage to go one better in the play offs? League Table

First up in the play offs were Merthyr Tydfil, a side who had done the double over us this season.

Play Off Semi Final Leg 1 – Merthyr Tydfil (H)

To say this went the way of the league games was some what right but not quite. We were under extreme pressure and conceded a penalty after 12 minutes and then again on 32 minutes. We should have been done and dusted but Super Luke Baxter as I had christened our Keeper, saved them both. To add insult to injury Kyle Wilson headed a last minute winner and some how we had won the game.

Play Off Semi Final Leg 2 – Merthyr Tydfil (A)

How have we managed this? Merthyr had 19 shots in the match and us 8. Yet somehow we drew first blood and although pegged back when they equalised from a flowing move we held strong and came out of there with a draw and we had moved into the Final for the second season running, could we manage to score this time?

Play Off Final – Salisbury

They were relegated from the Conference last season and were odds on to win this match and go back up at the first time of asking but my lads were determined to not let that happen.

Salisbury finished 2nd in the league and were top for the first 30 games of the season but when they came ready to win promotion we said “NO!â€.

Matt Smith bagged a double inside 12 minutes and Lee Ellington notched one in between those to give us a 3-0 early lead. That seemed to knock the heart out of them, well wouldn’t it you? And although the netted late on we scored a comfortable 3-1 win and we were going up. Play Off Final

The lads did well, the defence just as solid as last season and the attack just as devastating. Matt Smith again the Supporters player of the season after going 2 better and netting 29 for the season. Lee Ellington managed 17 despite playing in midfield for the majority of the season and Kyle Wilson a superb 18, even better when the job I had given him was to come deep, hold it up and link play. Matt Smith

My star player though was Charlie Henry. He still had his fair share of injury problems but he adjusted well to me moving him to the left of a midfield three compared to his role behind the front two last season. 31 games, 10 goals and 12 assists just superb.

Hopefully the move up a division will allow us to attract better players because I really do fear for us at this minute. Our squad was nowhere near the best in the league and although tactics and players giving 100% has served us well I don’t believe it will serve us as well next season, although I didn’t say that to the press. “Onwards and Upwards!â€. End of Season Squad

what a play off semi-final, 1st leg finnished 2-2 after a late come back from leyton orient and the second finished 2-2 and went to extra time. leyton orient scored in the first half of extra time on for it to cancelled out in the second half, and went on to finish 2-0 on penalties for chippenham. Play off finals here we come

Is this normal? I have a Belgian feeder club for work permits specifically to send players like Zaric to, and he only needs 159 more days in Belgium to get a passport. I was under the impression I would be allowed to sign players like this and then send them off to clubs like Kelmis when they're my feeder team? What am I missing here? :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sergent21:

Was just wondering, how many people are restatring when the patch comes out(hopefully today)??

I am icon14.gif

How significant a difference do you think it will make? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to think quite a bit. The morale was a huge problem, even after being undefeated for 14 games, my squads morale was only okay, which is surely not right.

Also the confidence, even with the updated 'beta patch' still found that whilst I was over achieving, my confidence bar was right at the bottom. It started okay and it corrected itself, but after a while it just dropped, like it did the first time icon_confused.gif

Anyway, roll on the new patch, feel like a kid at christmas icon_biggrin.gif

Chippenham Town End Of Season Update Season 22/23

After 3 seasons propping up the bottom of the Championship Chippenham town fans expected another tough season with every possibility of going down to league one, but through some outstand performances from existing players and some enlightend signings from long serving manager James Leedham Chippenham Town managed to beat all the odds and find them selves spending the 23/24 seasons in the premiership for the first time after 3 nail bitting games in the chamionship play offs.

League Table

League Graph

Tactic

Much of this succes can be attributed to these two Greek players that Leedham bought in from his fathers homeland.

Toursounidis

Sidiropoulos

This performance also won james Leedham the Manager of the Year Award and a new contract from the board.

Manager of the Year

New Contract

Other points of interest from the season below.

Season Summary

Players Select

Player Stats

Player Confidence

Fans Player Of The Year

Confidence Summary

Visiting International Manager

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scab:

Oh, I see what's up now. Interesting that you have to appeal for it to work.

Probably because there's a chance the appeal might succeed and you can sign him normally... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I guess that must be it.

Originally posted by jackyb1989:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jackyb1989:

Could I just ask how so many of you got/are getting Andy Caton to score so many goals? All he seems to do for me is sprint through the defence continually but never score!

What am I doing wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have a look at the Tactics & Training Tips forum.

Also bear in mind that everyone's game is different, so his attributes in your game probably don't match up to those in other people's games.

Annihilator666 - Merthyr Tydfil - Season 19/20 - Premier League

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Other Info - Club Information | Manager Information

Top Scorer - Christian Leblanc

Fans' Player of the Year - Christian Leblanc

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

A good first season in the Premier League where my only aim was survival. I managed to do this with a game to spare. Also, I won the FA Cup and so qualified for the UEFA Cup! If you look at the results above, I did have a pretty easy run to the final. Played Championship teams in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and a League 2 team in the 5th round. In the Semi-Final, I rode my luck a little against a superior Everton side and ended up winning on penalties, and I went through to the final against Portsmouth. The final was a more even contest, but the team prevailed 3-2.

My board still sucks. Still no feeder clubs after a year in the Premier League, and still a 10k stadium after the council refused planning permission. With £25mil in the bank I figured they would finally build a new stadium, but it didn't happen.

Annihilator666 - Merthyr Tydfil - Season 19/20 - Premier League

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Other Info - Club Information | Manager Information

Top Scorer - Christian Leblanc

Fans' Player of the Year - Christian Leblanc

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

A good first season in the Premier League where my only aim was survival. I managed to do this with a game to spare. Also, I won the FA Cup and so qualified for the UEFA Cup! If you look at the results above, I did have a pretty easy run to the final. Played Championship teams in the 3rd and 4th rounds, and a League 2 team in the 5th round. In the Semi-Final, I rode my luck a little against a superior Everton side and ended up winning on penalties, and I went through to the final against Portsmouth. The final was a more even contest, but the team prevailed 3-2.

My board still sucks. Still no feeder clubs after a year in the Premier League, and still a 10k stadium after the council refused planning permission. With £25mil in the bank I figured they would finally build a new stadium, but it didn't happen.

Great 1st season, congratulations on winning the F.A Cup as well. Staying up appears to be the way to go in the first season, not wanting to get too far ahead of yourself and perhaps think your team are better than they really are.. I'm patiently waiting for the patch now so I can restart this challenge icon_biggrin.gif

Note to add, its my birthday today icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by sergent21:

Great 1st season, congratulations on winning the F.A Cup as well. Staying up appears to be the way to go in the first season, not wanting to get too far ahead of yourself and perhaps think your team are better than they really are.. I'm patiently waiting for the patch now so I can restart this challenge icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks mate, and happy birthday! icon14.gif

Also, I noticed you're from Newport, Merthyr Tydfil's fiercest rivals... icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by ChelseaDaft:

Patch is out !!!! Downloading now. Will also go on holiday and set my game up in the morning when i wake up!!

I'm leaving it to download overnight and will holiday and start reloading in the morning. May not pick a team until I have finished work.

Thanks mate, and happy birthday! icon14.gif

Also, I noticed you're from Newport, Merthyr Tydfil's fiercest rivals... icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, but seeing as, I don't think, that they have played a competitive game for a while, I'm not sure how fierce it is. Be nice to see how it would pan out.

How you get on against the County when you played them all those years ago, and what league they in now??

Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChelseaDaft:

Patch is out !!!! Downloading now. Will also go on holiday and set my game up in the morning when i wake up!!

I'm leaving it to download overnight and will holiday and start reloading in the morning. May not pick a team until I have finished work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck with this new patch after what happened to you before!!!

Archived