dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Maidstone Save

This save is after 2 seasons of holiday so you'll start a season after everyone else in gametime but it doesn't really matter as the challenge basically evolves around regens for anyway, I'll upload a few more later on also. (does anyone know how long a rapidshare link stays live before it gets deleted?)

Amazing... I dont know what to do now though, I am flying with Tonbridge Angels but Maidstone are my local team... I think I will the download the save and play either when I am bored/sacked by Tonbridge.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mag man:

Dafuge is it ok to holiday for 2 seasons? I have done this and a few different teams have been thrown up such as Tonbridge? There still allowed by the rules but I dont see people holidaying for 2 seasons.

Yes, that's fine.

You might need to contact Allan to adjust your starting year on the website though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just added update for a couple years so that the start date was correct.

Excellent idea by mag man & Spurs1979 to holiday two years. I've thought of doing it before but never carried it out.

Spurs1979, if you still have that Staines save could you send me it as I really wanted them. Also if either one of you get Frickley to come up then could you let me know as they were part of my 4 teams I wanted to be.

Chippenham, Boreham Wood, Staines or Frickley.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Just got Staines icon14.gif

Please refrain from using filthy language like that in this thread icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should be seeing a lot more of that word, I'll try to refrain but I can't promise. Meet their new manager. icon_wink.gif

Heybridge Swifts 2018-19 League 2

The swifts first adventure into league football was always going to be interesting. The close season succesful Henry leaving for 500K to Ipswich and Brown to Wycombe for 250K, in there place came midfield dynamo Tucker, creative Swift, utility Mcdonough, and cover full backs Miller, Vaughan and Burns. Up front Gus Speight arrived to add a 4th striker to the ranks even though only 1 target man led the line. Also returning for a second season was super keeps Robinson and wing wizard Eustace from parent club Fulham.

All in all i was happy with my squad but two games in and two defeats as opposition strikers scored 4 and 3 in consecutive games to leave us struggling at the foot of the table.

We improved nicely and despite going out of every cup at the first stage(two of them on penalties) after 17 games we were nicely placed in the play-offs. A tough run pre christmas against top sides saw us falter slightly and then came some tough decisions. Striker Young definately my best player statistically if not in terms of performances was allowed to leave for 500k+add ons.

transfers

With this income keeper Robinson signed up for 160k and Pratt bought in more midfield cover. The second half of the season continued apace and the swifts cemented themselves in the promotion positions, and with 8 games to go the team were in 2nd 7 points clear of 4th place Luton. However our next 4 games were against the sides place 1,3,4,5 in the table. Victories were now in short supply but defeats were also few and far between and victory in the penultimate game of the season gave the swifts fans back to back promotions, despite getting a massive 20 points less this season.

table

graph

Next season proves to be tough despite a fair amount of money available our wages at 15k will exceed our income available from the paltry 3000 capacity ground. The board have promised to do something about it and continue to improve the training and youth team potential. Lets hope to achieve something and we'll see what continues to happen.

team

finance

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Excellent idea by mag man & Spurs1979 to holiday two years. I've thought of doing it before but never carried it out.

Spurs1979, if you still have that Staines save could you send me it as I really wanted them. Also if either one of you get Frickley to come up then could you let me know as they were part of my 4 teams I wanted to be.

Chippenham, Boreham Wood, Staines or Frickley.

Thanks.

Don't worry about either of these anymore. I decided against it. I'm just going to stick to the original regulations. Thanks for the help though. icon14.gif

My contract is running out and i have had a piece of news saying the board are contemplating if they should offer me a new contract, with the media listing possible replacements. I'm achieving higher than expected.

What do i do?

Anyone had this and kept their job?

Originally posted by Matt6:

My contract is running out and i have had a piece of news saying the board are contemplating if they should offer me a new contract, with the media listing possible replacements. I'm achieving higher than expected.

What do i do?

Is this with the patch?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Just got Staines icon14.gif

Please refrain from using filthy language like that in this thread icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In his defence, I don't think he was around last season so he may not know the story icon_biggrin.gif.

Yes i have installed the patch.

Ahhh, I dont want my challenge to come to an abrupt end!

With a bit of luck it is just a bit of media speculation. I'm sure that new contracts for good managers was something that was looked at with the patch.

What do i do?

Yeah i had this but managed to keep my job.

They offered me a new contract on the last day of my original contract, thank goodness.

Hopefully it is the same for you to.

Originally posted by Spurs1979:

More various saved games

These are also 24 months worth of holiday but it is easier to get a few smaller sides pop up.

AFC Hornchurch

Heybridge

Ramsgate

Staines

Tonbridge

Good to see that reputation must be able to grow.

Going to test this out as a new version of FMM is available that works with the patch.

Would love manage Hastings United, haven't got a game going on FM 08 yet.

Its October 2007 and Hastings reputation has gone up by one point icon_cool.gif

Is 850 the lowest a club has been promoted with, or is it 900? Its probably too low to start with, not sure any club will improve its rep by a few hundred points icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Scoham:

Is 850 the lowest a club has been promoted with, or is it 900? Its probably too low to start with, not sure any club will improve its rep by a few hundred points icon_frown.gif

I'm Hemel Hempstead which is 800 rep (1 year of holiday), and I know PoypleMonkeys got Harrow Borough at 750 rep before the patch.

Well after holidaying about 50 times i managed to get saves with Whitby, Hornchurch, Hendon, Ilkeston and Prescot Cables, but i'll try holidaying 1 more year and seeing if i get anyone more interesting, otherwise i think i'll go for Hornchurch or Prescot Cables.

I was failing miserably in my Halesowen game so thought i'd start again with the new patch.

Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

I'm Hemel Hempstead which is 800 rep (1 year of holiday), and I know PoypleMonkeys got Harrow Borough at 750 rep before the patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Into the second holiday season now, reps don't seem to change very much.

Maybe the bigger clubs being promoted is giving the smaller clubs more chance of promotion?

Or maybe its just luck?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

I'm Hemel Hempstead which is 800 rep (1 year of holiday), and I know PoypleMonkeys got Harrow Borough at 750 rep before the patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the bigger clubs being promoted is giving the smaller clubs more chance of promotion?

Or maybe its just luck? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it is partly down to luck. Remembering that in a second holiday season there may not be 6 eligble clubs each time to chose from, as clubs that were relegated in that first season could bounce straight back up, and could also have had even higher reps than the ones that came up in the second season. (If that didnt make sense I will try again!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

I think it is partly down to luck. Remembering that in a second holiday season there may not be 6 eligble clubs each time to chose from, as clubs that were relegated in that first season could bounce straight back up, and could also have had even higher reps than the ones that came up in the second season. (If that didnt make sense I will try again!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even into the third and fourth season when I was holidaying there were different teams coming up each time, so I think it does depend on the reps of teams left in the bottom league and the reps of teams relegated.

I think it is partly down to luck. Remembering that in a second holiday season there may not be 6 eligble clubs each time to chose from, as clubs that were relegated in that first season could bounce straight back up, and could also have had even higher reps than the ones that came up in the second season. (If that didnt make sense I will try again!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funnily enough it was quite rare for the originally relegated teams to come back up, more often you'd get the next tier of teams i.e. Billericay, Margate, Methyr Tydfil.

From what I can see rep only changes when the club plays matches, which means just a few FA Cup matches each season.

Hastings have gone back down to 600.

So could going on holiday for say 10 seasons make a big difference?

Hemel Hemstead started with 800 and are now down to 796, so I don't think rep changing is going to make the difference, it'll depend on if there are any big clubs in the division that get promoted 95% of the time (AFC Wimbledon etc)

Hope this works...

The patch is updated, so I'm off to Cossham Street, Mangotsfield (commonly known as "Field"! Big Grin )

Manager Profile

Let's take the new Man(gotsfield) Utd off to take on the big boys... eventually.

Well, no players and no staff meant I needed to go on a (free transfer) spending spree, and it seems to have worked

3 wins

This made it 3 wins in a row, after a decent set of friendy results (mostly draws and wins against non-league sides)

From what I can see rep only changes when the club plays matches, which means just a few FA Cup matches each season.

Hemel Hemstead started with 800 and are now down to 796, so I don't think rep changing is going to make the difference, it'll depend on if there are any big clubs in the division that get promoted 95% of the time (AFC Wimbledon etc)

I think another reason Tonbridge Angels were promoted was due to the fact that Gillingham were there parent club and sent them players which could have helped.

Originally posted by mag man:

I think another reason Tonbridge Angels were promoted was due to the fact that Gillingham were there parent club and sent them players which could have helped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems after 2 seasons a lot of clubs have parent clubs, but most are BS Prem or N/S clubs which probably won't help much.

Hemel Hempstead - BSS - 2008/09 End of Season Update

Well I was appointed manager to a club with a few under 16 players and a want away chairman. It took 2 takeover attempts before the takeover was completed and my new chairman in december gave me Crystal Palace as a parent club. I only loaned 4 players from them, and already had 3 loans in from elsewhere.

I decided to take a different approach to finding my players by trialling a ridiculous amount of unattached foreign players, and also signing everyone's favourite Bulgarian coach, to get the Bulgarian knowledge.

I ended up with a team made up of next to no English footballers although I think most must have had English as a second Nationality.

The start of the season, I was predicting to be hard, after a 3-8 and a 3-14 defeat in pre-season, however I was pleasantly surprised with winning the first 2 games of the season, and then hitting varying runs of form throughout the season.

We ended up eventually in 7th place just 3 points off the playoffs.

Table

Graph

Confidence

Squad

Transfers

Aims for next season

1) Sack existing ass man and find a better one

2) Get at least 1 momre better scout

3) Remove most of my deadwood from the squad and sort out wage bill

4) Sign some good players

5) Raid parent club for more loans!

6) Finish in top half again ideally

Matt6 Season Review - Hitchin Town - 09/10

The tricky second season

Pre-Season

A few new additions. These included the signing of goalkeeper James McKeown who was on loan the previous season. Also Lino Goncalves joined on loan from Fulham for a second season. A slightly higher profile signing was winger and forward Trevor Benjamin who was signed on a free transfer.

Media Prediction: 24th

August

Not a good month at all, this could be a very hard season indeed. Staying up this season would be a real achievement.

Stats: W0 D1 L5

Position: 23rd

September

The bad run rolled over into the start of this month, however a change of tactic brought a change of fortune, with a run of wins including a 9-2 victory over Dorchester.

Stats: W4 D1 L2

Position: 17th

October

A very inconsistent month with big wins and big defeats.

Stats: W3 D0 L4

Position: 16th

November

A horrible month.

Stats: W0 D0 L3

Position: 19th

Awards: 2nd Place Player of the Month, Lino Goncalves

December

The team is really struggling to get a run of form going, a bad end to the month with a record 6-0 defeat to Rochdale.

Stats: W3 D0 L3

Position: 18th

January

Another inconsistent month

Stats: W2 D2 L2

Position: 18th

February

A month with patchy form again. The month ended with two loan signings, both from Crystal Palace, Jamie Smith and David Pilgrim.

Stats: W3 D0 L4

March

A brilliant month, including a 4-3 win over arch rivals Stevenage. A clean sweep in the awards for the month summed it up. Jamie Smith had a brilliant first month at Hitchin, scoring 5 goals in 5 games with an average rating of 7.80.

Stats: W4 D0 L1

Awards: Manager of the Month

Player of the Month: Jamie Smith

Young Player of the Month: Lino Goncalves

April

An indifferent month. Hitchin’s position was confirmed as 17th with one game to go. With goalkeeper Dean Lyness having a particularly good month, with an average rating of 8.00.

Stats: W2 D0 L3

Awards: Player of the Month: Dean Lyness

2nd Young player of the Month: Sean Taylforth

3rd Goal of the Month: Lino Goncalves

May

With one game left and Hitchin’s league position already confirmed this month wasn’t too important.

Stats: W0 D0 L1

After much speculation in the media, I signed a new two year contract.

Summary

Final League Position: 17th

Fan’s Player of the Season: Sean Taylforth

League Table

League Positions

Transfers

Season Review

After 3 seasons on holiday, reloading after the 3rd, I've seen Staines, Tonbridge, Ramsgate, Heybridge promoted once or twice, other clubs promoted a lot more often.

Might try an even longer holiday at some point, see if some completely different team can be promoted.

Archived