dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Scoham:

After 3 seasons on holiday, reloading after the 3rd, I've seen Staines, Tonbridge, Ramsgate, Heybridge promoted once or twice, other clubs promoted a lot more often.

Might try an even longer holiday at some point, see if some completely different team can be promoted.

Quite interesting to see lower clubs go up after a bit.

Into the last 5-6 games with Fleetwood Town in my first season. Top by sven points and guarenteed a play-off spot icon_smile.gif

Only just scraped past Kings Lynn 3-2 with to Marvin Robinson goals in the last ten minutes.

Should have finished the season by the end of the weekend as I'm away for a bit.

Originally posted by cpfc207:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

After 3 seasons on holiday, reloading after the 3rd, I've seen Staines, Tonbridge, Ramsgate, Heybridge promoted once or twice, other clubs promoted a lot more often.

Might try an even longer holiday at some point, see if some completely different team can be promoted.

Quite interesting to see lower clubs go up after a bit.

Into the last 5-6 games with Fleetwood Town in my first season. Top by sven points and guarenteed a play-off spot icon_smile.gif

Only just scraped past Kings Lynn 3-2 with to Marvin Robinson goals in the last ten minutes.

Should have finished the season by the end of the weekend as I'm away for a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure its because after a few seasons the big clubs such as AFC Wimbledon have been promoted, so it gives different clubs a chance of promotion, though the clubs that were relegated a year earlier have a good chance of going straight back up.

Originally posted by dafuge:

Thought I'd start the season off with a nice easy tour against some of the weaker teams from Northern Ireland.

Lost 1-3, 0-4 and 0-5 icon_frown.gif

I am starting to think that friendlies against teams of grey players are completely pointless and dont give you any real indication of the season ahead.

I keep losing in friendlies but my league form was fine last season, and should be similar this (once I finish losing in friendlies)

Hitchin. Conference South. August 2008.

So after waiting not so patiantly for the patch I assume that I am gonna romp this league and bla bla bla.

Wrong icon_frown.gif.

Pre-season.

Colchester scored 7 goals against us icon_eek.gif.

Farnborough & Hornchurch both scored 4 against us icon_frown.gif.

Our feeder club Beaconsfield, (I have a very strange memory of playing rugby in the snow there), scored 3 against us icon_frown.gif.

Even our Reserves got in on the action scoring once as we managed at least to defeat them 2-1.

Weymouth also scored once against us, but we somehow scored 3 times to record our only pre-season victory against anyone other than our Reserves.

(H) Hitchin 0 Havant 1.

(H) Hitchin 0 Thurrock 3.

(A) Hitchin 1 AFC Wimbledon 2.

(A) Hitchin 1 Welling 1.

(H) Hitchin 1 Welling 2.

(A) Hitchin 1 Salisbury 4.

We've conceded 3 goals from corners, 2 penalties and had a player sent off.

In return we have hardly won a corner never mind about scored from won, blazed a penalty over the bar and failed to win against 10 man Wimbledon.

With a 16 year old between the sticks, another on the left flank, and a 3rd in central midfield, it looks like it could be a long hard season unless my scout pulls his finger out and gives me some names to check out.

i get this error when trying to get onto thoose rapidshare links..

"Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: ""

The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team. "

not the faintest idea what it means..

but it doesnt matter i decided to go with ilkeston

http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ilkestonprofilepicyw7.jpg

Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Thought I'd start the season off with a nice easy tour against some of the weaker teams from Northern Ireland.

I am starting to think that friendlies against teams of grey players are completely pointless and dont give you any real indication of the season ahead.

I keep losing in friendlies but my league form was fine last season, and should be similar this (once I finish losing in friendlies) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, it was a bug in the beta patch that they said had been fixed. Guess not...

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

I keep losing in friendlies but my league form was fine last season, and should be similar this (once I finish losing in friendlies) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, it was a bug in the beta patch that they said had been fixed. Guess not... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

5 Friendlies, all against teams in lower divisions than the BSS. The results are

Hemel 1 - 4 Marine

Hemel 1 - 2 Chasetown

Hemel 1 - 4 Ramsgate

Hemel 0 - 4 Wingate & Finchley

Hemel 5 - 5 Maidstone

Please note not all the above were home matches, was just easier to write this way.

First 3 results of my new league campaign

Dorchester 0 - 0 Hemel

Hemel 5 - 1 Basingstoke

Eastbourne Boro 0 - 3 Hemel

The friendlies already had quite a few of my loan signings that are too good for the BSS, and a few real signings that are better than the BSS.

Originally posted by Phil1987:

wow is everyone starting a new game or something? I'm in league 2 and don't really fancy starting again, i've just patched so hopefully i'll be fine

Combination of some new people, some that werent happy with the game originally/beta patch and have tried again, and others that have purposefully restarted with the patch for varying reasons.

I had no intention of restarting with the patch, until my 18 and a half season career came to an end at Stamford due to poor form (no bugs, entirely my fault).

Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil1987:

wow is everyone starting a new game or something? I'm in league 2 and don't really fancy starting again, i've just patched so hopefully i'll be fine

Combination of some new people, some that werent happy with the game originally/beta patch and have tried again, and others that have purposefully restarted with the patch for varying reasons.

I had no intention of restarting with the patch, until my 18 and a half season career came to an end at Stamford due to poor form (no bugs, entirely my fault). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cool, thats good to hear (not your career ending but you know what i mean icon_razz.gif)

I'm in league one with Bedford and enjoying the game, I had no confidence or stadium bugs luckily so just patched and continued my game.. after the patch I am going slightly better too.. icon_smile.gif

this is way to exiting.

im currently 6th, and have the same amount of points as no 3.

Hopefully i will be able to finish of the season before im to tired.

I Hope for a playoff place, oxford is 10 points ahead in 1st, so im not gonna get promoted straight up.

Never been so tempted to put my fist through the computer screen.

Just managed to take Chelmsford from position 2 to position 15 in league 2 in a matter of 6 weeks or so.

Before saving yesterday I was on fire. Today I cannot even score.

Only thing saving me at the moment is a FA Cup tie at home to Man City which is being televised. Hopefully it will generate some cash.

I'm not going up this season despite having 6 players in on loan from Chelsea. Maybe thats the problem - next season I'll only get 5!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

AND im in the semis of FA trophy. great season no mather what the outcome will be

sounds like you're doing well buddy icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah icon_smile.gif

And the best of it all is, that i only have 1 loan. so even if i dont get promoted i would have a really good foundation to build on.

A little minus about my squad is the avr. age is only 20

Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil1987:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

AND im in the semis of FA trophy. great season no mather what the outcome will be

sounds like you're doing well buddy icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah icon_smile.gif

And the best of it all is, that i only have 1 loan. so even if i dont get promoted i would have a really good foundation to build on.

A little minus about my squad is the avr. age is only 20 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats a good thing, all about having a young squad.. even when i take charge of big clubs i always look for good young players!

Originally posted by kccircle:

FA Cup 3rd Round vs Man City

I could go on an on about how fantastic we were. How we dominated the game and the chances we made.

I wont, we lost. Who cares?

Why?

We generated 155k TV revenue icon_smile.gif

Thats almost as good as winning the cup icon_wink.gif

I know this is nothing related to this challenge but I'm playing as Barrow so it's similar terms with the same rules minus the holiday bit. icon_biggrin.gif

Just to follow up on the grey teams beating us convincingly theme. I just finished pre-season, here are the results:

Eastwood(Greys) - Lost 5-0

Blackpool(Non-greys) - Lost 4-2

Carlisle(Non-greys) - Lost 2-1

Ards(Greys) - Lost 3-1

Salisbury(Non-greys) - Won 1-0

The 2 games against the greys were dominated by the greys, Eastwood being 5-0 up at half time. The other 3 games were quite a lot better, even the Blackpool game who are 4 divisions above me.

These grey teams are quite 'super'.

Thanks for reading. icon14.gif

Whitby Town - 2008/09 - BSN - Mid-season update

Well, now seems as good a time as any to update everyone on the goings-on at Turnbull Road.

After what can only be described as a marvellous start to the season, during which Whitby went on a nine-match winning run in the first 11 games, things took a turn for the worse. After losing the club's three big-name loan signings to two-month injuries within three games, fortunes were shattered by a resounding 3-0 home defeat to Dulwich Hamlet in the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round. League form suffered according, the following seven games yielding just one win, and four defeats. However, early season performances were enough to keep Whitby in the playoff places, and they dropped out for only one game.

A 2-1 win at home to Bath in the FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round signalled an upturn in performances at Turnbull Road, and the returns of Craddock, Goulon and Owens, along with the new loan capture of Hutchinson helped Whitby to refind their goalscoring, and clean sheet-keeping form. The end of November and December saw four wins in five games, including a 6-0 drubbing of then-third placed Hinckley, sees Whitby sitting pretty in second place in the league at the turn of the year.

Whitby Town

Blue Square North: 2nd, P23, W13, D5, L5, F51, A 21, Pts 44.

F.A. Cup: Lost in 2nd Qualifying Round (Dulwich Hamlet)

Setanta Shield North: Lost in First Round on penalties (Marine)

F.A. Trophy: Won in 3rd Qualifying Round (Bath), lost in First Round (Salisbury)

Not to bring up a subject probably dead, but was there ever a ruling on using a retain file or not? If there was, I apologize, I haven't checked the forum in a while. If its OK, I think I'll use the retain file I made for the 3 lower leagues. I'm going on holiday now, but I can always start over if need be. If anyone wants the retain file I made, I'll add it here:

England Lower League Retain File

I hope I got it right, I haven't tried it yet.

Originally posted by Burto1945:

Not to bring up a subject probably dead, but was there ever a ruling on using a retain file or not? If there was, I apologize, I haven't checked the forum in a while. If its OK, I think I'll use the retain file I made for the 3 lower leagues. I'm going on holiday now, but I can always start over if need be. If anyone wants the retain file I made, I'll add it here:

From the first post:

"No additional players from any nation should be loaded"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Burto1945:

From the first post:

"No additional players from any nation should be loaded" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did read that, but I'm not including any addt'l nations, just the players on the teams that should be there already. We had a retain file for last year's challenge, I just didn't know if dafuge had decided if a retain file is needed, as so many teams don't have any players to start.

Annihilator666 - Merthyr Tydfil - Season 20/21 - Premier League

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Other Info - Club Information | Manager Information

Top Scorer - Gareth Mitchell

Fans' Player of the Year - Gareth Mitchell

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

Premier League:

After an up-and-down start to the season, and a big slump in November/December, the team's performances picked up after the new year and we comfortably finished in 9th place, a big improvement on last year's 15th place finish. Gareth Mitchell finally hit goalscoring form in his 2nd season at the club, and those goals helped a lot. However, we also leaked a lot of goals so I'll be strengthening the defence during the pre-season

UEFA Cup:

I was really disappointed with our UEFA Cup run. After easily making the group stages, draws against Bezanija from Serbia, and Grasshopper Zurich cost us dearly. icon13.gif

FA Cup:

A reasonable run in the FA Cup came to an abrupt halt with a 6-0 thrashing at home by eventual Premier League winners Middlesbrough. I have no idea where the hell this huge defeat suddenly came from, as we had beaten West Ham 4-0 the week before.

League Cup:

We did a bit better in the League Cup, making it to the Semi-Finals. But, once again, we ran into Middlesbrough but this time went down to a creditable 6-5 agg defeat.

The Board, etc.:

I hate my board. I'll be going into my third season in the Premier League with absolutely no feeder clubs, and still a 10k capacity stadium. I had a bit more money in the bank at the end of this season than I did last year, but they still won't build a new stadium. I was hoping that this was maybe a bug and that the patch had fixed it, but no dice.

Welp I was unable to play for about 3 weeks due to lack of time. But now Im back. Although 1 hr back into my Matlock save I was sacked lol. Reloaded up a clean Matlock save and started over tonight. This game is rolling so far. Undefeated the first 10 league matches so far and sitting atop of the table. There was a real crazy match. Here are a couple screens:

Game Overview

Game Ending Tactic

Down 1 man 1 minute into the match along with going down 1-0. Tie it up and then have another player sent off 3 minutes later so I am down two men. Manage to take the lead. Hold them off for 30 minutes. Lose another player in hte 90th. Heatbreak though as they score with the last kick of the ball to draw. I also had to sub my main central midfielder in the 12th minute due to injury. Winger was also injured in the 70th but had to stay on due to lack of subs. Down 5 starters the next match. Luckily able to draw that one.

Originally posted by Burto1945:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Burto1945:

From the first post:

"No additional players from any nation should be loaded" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did read that, but I'm not including any addt'l nations, just the players on the teams that should be there already. We had a retain file for last year's challenge, I just didn't know if dafuge had decided if a retain file is needed, as so many teams don't have any players to start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Retain player files have never been allowed for the same reason as the editor. I know there is a good reason for using it, but it is much easier to have a total ban on stuff like this.

Originally posted by stuartuk75:

After 17 games in the 2010/2011 season in the BSP i'm lying in 15th place on 21 points. I really wanted to push for a playoff place this season, but unless form improves dramatically it'll be a mid table finish at best.

Maybe this will help. icon14.gif

Nice one. icon14.gif

I just beat Cambridge 6-0 in the League Cup 2nd round, my team had 50 shots!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stuartuk75:

After 17 games in the 2010/2011 season in the BSP i'm lying in 15th place on 21 points. I really wanted to push for a playoff place this season, but unless form improves dramatically it'll be a mid table finish at best.

Maybe this will help. icon14.gif

Nice one. icon14.gif

I just beat Cambridge 6-0 in the League Cup 2nd round, my team had 50 shots! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had 23 shots in that game. I won my next league game 2-1 away to 4th place Rushden. Maybe it is turning around.

COME ONNN YOU WOOOOODDDD!!!

Archived