dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by migwar:

scab

can you do a verbal summary? i cant see those links from work. i'm guessing it didn't go too well from the emoticon, but still...

1-3(H) and 3-3(A). Regretting that I decided to go for the 2-2 goal when it was 1-2 at home and ended up conceding 1-3 on a counter-attack instead. :/ We had a pretty good game at St. Andrews with one of Birmingham's goals being controversial and a couple of Luleyski's shots hitting the uprights, not to mention being 2-1 up at half-time, so we would've had a good chance to go through had I just guarded the result in the home leg.

Oh well, it's not that big a deal. To be perfectly honest, this club can't support Premier League-level salaries (again, still 6000 capacity stadium...) and I have a number of promising youngsters 18-to-20 years old in the reserves who I'd like to give a shot in the first team. In short, we're not really ready for the Premiership. I'll spend next season building a better squad and hopefully convince the board to either go for a new stadium or get serious with the expansions (+1000 seats isn't helping...).

I'm sorry to post this here, but I have tried the search without any definite answer... Is it safe for me to ask the board for a stadium expansion? Can someone confirm that the expansion bug is fixed in the

latest update of the "beta" patch?

Originally posted by godemand:

I'm sorry to post this here, but I have tried the search without any definite answer... Is it safe for me to ask the board for a stadium expansion? Can someone confirm that the expansion bug is fixed in the

latest update of the "beta" patch?

The second beta patch fixed it for me. My expansion went through as it should as opposed to screwing up my total capacity as it did with the first beta patch.

Originally posted by ncfcgee:

Dafuge, i'm interested in trying this challenge, what i want to know though is am i allowed to use the editor to move a team in the Blue Square north or south instead of waiting for the promotion/relegation?

No, the use of the editor in any form is not allowed in this challenge. A few other people have asked the same question but we need to be firm with this rule.

What divisiona and how much roughly in the bank do you need for the board to consider giving you an expansion.

I am halfway through my first season in League 1, and am having an average crowd of 4694 out of a max of 5000. It is also an average that is 200 higher than my last season, and I sold over 3000 season tickets.

Think I need an expansion but dont want to bother the board if there is no chance of getting one.

Without wanting to trawl through all 53 pages, is anyone else suffering heavily from high scoring matches. Just beat Lewes 10-0 away on the opening day in the Blue Square Premier. Whilst an awesome result, I can't help but feel the game is flawed if that isn't some kind of bug?

End of 2008/2009 Season Blue Square North

League Table

I managed to finish 2nd with Bedford Town and gain promotion via the Playoffs.

After a shaky start to the season, largely due to trying out different tactics i finally hit into gear Mid October and was able to keep it going until April where i had a bit of a blip. Fortunately i had a couple of easier fixtures before the Playoffs helping me to get confidence levels up. I also managed to avoid Hednesford in the Playoffs who had been a bit of a bogey time for me knocking me out of 2 cups and beating me twice in the league. Hinckley won the league at a canter only losing twice all season, one of which was a 3-0 away loss to me, my best result of the season, ending there unbeaten 25 match start. The cup competitions were a bit of a disaster, suffering a 5-0 home defeat to Forest Green in the 2nd Qualifying round of the FA Cup. Hopefully that will stay my record defeat. The most worrying time was after a board takeover, 3rd in the league but the chairman was keen to bring in a new manager. Luckily a 4-0 win the following game against the bottom side helped keep my job.

Squad

My star player was ex Liverpool striker Jonathan Pringle, who finished top scorer in the league and formed a lethal partnership with Kyle Wilson, whilst my left winger Frimpong, ex Arsenal, was the leading assist holder in the league.

I probably have 4 or 5 players that could be useful in the Blue Sqaure Premier, but the rest need to replaced. Not too condfident about successive promotions but hopeully i can be around the Playoff positions next season.

Originally posted by joshpmilton:

Without wanting to trawl through all 53 pages, is anyone else suffering heavily from high scoring matches. Just beat Lewes 10-0 away on the opening day in the Blue Square Premier. Whilst an awesome result, I can't help but feel the game is flawed if that isn't some kind of bug?

Yea, the Blue Square leagues seem to be very high scoring. It seems to calm down a bit in League Two...

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joshpmilton:

Yea, the Blue Square leagues seem to be very high scoring. It seems to calm down a bit in League Two... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really hope that is the case, currently top of the league after the first two games (both away) with a +15 goal difference. icon13.gif

Well after my laptop breaking about a month ago, armed with a new laptop i have began and finished my first season with my chosen team.

Forgot to take a profile screen shot before i started. So this is mine after the first season.

I chose to take control of King's Lynn because i live around 5miles away.

Blue Square North final standings

Squad

Transfers

Martin, my star player obviously

End of Season Finances

Club Confidence

Lets hope i can find someone else of Martins calibre to loan again or possibly bring him back, although the likes of Liverpool have been alerted by his success.

Annihilator666 - Merthyr Tydfil - Season 13/14 - League One

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Top Scorer - James Dunn

Fans' Player of the Year - James Dunn

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

Another excellent season, with basically the same squad from last season. Got in a new left winger and a good centre-back, and loaned a nice attacking midfielder from Chelsea who played well all season.

Got to the playoff finals after finishing 5th in the league, but lost 3-2 to Coventry after extra time icon_frown.gif. I'm now 0/3 for playoffs so far in this challenge... icon13.gif

Stamford - League 1 - 2023/24 End of Season Update

After a promotion last season with a squad I knew wasnt really good enough for league one, a lot of changes happened in the summer. Going into the start of the season I still wasnt happy with the quality of players in the squad, but at least its getting easier to loan players.

A rocky start to the season followed by a bad patch of form, lead me expecting we would match all predictions and get relegated. However we found some form and figured out how to win in the second half of the season and finished up a respectable 16th place.

Our average attendance was just 200 less than capacity so I'm hoping I can persuade the board for a stadium expansion as I have one of the smallest stadia in the division.

Aims for the next season:

Stay in league 1 and any improvements would be better.

I expect another relegation battle, unless I can get in some top quality players

Table

Graph

Confidence

Transfers

AFC Wimbledon - Blue Square South - 2008/09 - New Years Day Update

Well, what a difference player instructions make. This is the first time I've actually bothered to tailor player instructions to individual players for every match. The results so far have been staggering. I should add, that I am essentially the Crystal Palace C team, loaning most of their players. Maybe not good for the long term, but if I can get into the Blue Square Premier, I might actually be able to sign players.

League form as been fantastic, with my club stats looking awesome, almost averaging three goals a game. Only two teams have been top of the league. I've been on the rampage in the cups, all except the FA Cup, where I've beaten all the (in my opinion unrealistic) aims of the board. Most pleasing was putting 2nd place Havant & Waterlooville out of the Setanta Shield at Havant.

Player of the season so far is Victor Moses on loan from, inevitably, Crystal Palace, notching up 28 goals in 25 appearances in all competitions.

Needless to say I'm enjoying my second attempt at the challenge on FM08 a lot more than I did with Margate. My success is reflected by the happiness of the board and their current confidence in me.

I to am AFC Wimbledon and have victor moses he has scroed about the same for me, 27 now and its january, only have 3 loans from palace tho icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by michaeltmurrayuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rashidi1:

michael just had an xml parsing error on team screen line 13....should i be concerned?...

No, I think that is something to do with the patch, I get it occasionaly but after clicking OK nothing seems broken. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks mate...its sorted now.

Gloucester City Tigers Last 4 games

With only 3 points separating the top 3 sides in LL2, things are setting up for a climatic finish as Rotherham travel to Gloucester City in what must be the clash for automatic promotion spot. Neither team will want to lose this match, a win today for either side would guarantee them a finish in the top 3.

Gloucester City Tigers have had quite a season, after starting out with a 22 match unbeaten run, the preseason relegation favourites made eyes turn when they sat astride the top of the league. Late in January things went very wrong with the season, as they struggled to find the back of the net, needing 2 games to find a goal. At least their defense held shape, and it was only their determination not to concede that did not see them plummet down. Instead they dropped to 5th spot momentarily. Riddled with injury they somehow managed to survive a 6 game winless streak by coming back from a goal behind to Northampton to win that match 4-1.

A new attacking spirit underpinned their desire to find the net more. They continued to entertain their legion of fans with 5-5 scorelines and 4 nil trashings. They've now won 5 of the last 7 matches and find themselves in an automatic playoff spot.

Aldershot have turned a disappointing season into one to be remembered. Sitting at the bottom of the table after the first month, they've rattled off an amazing string of 14 wins to become another side breathing down the Tigers. Gloucester fans are glad they don't need to play Aldershot again.

For now the attention turns to the New Lawn, at Forest Green for the table top clash. Both sides the best attack in the league...will this game produce another highscoring game?

After all that drama...we performed like wimps..we had a paltry 30% possession in the first half...and went down by a goal.

I made changes during the break and at least we managed to get an equaliser with 2 mins on the clock. The season is almost done...all we need now is 1 point to guarantee promotion. Looks like Gloucester, Rotherham and Aldershot...are going to be the ones going up.......

Dafuge, hate to post this here but not sure what else to do, i tried signing up on the website but have recieved no validation email, even tried resending but it says it can't and to contact you but the contact link wont work either, it just sends me back to the validation page, any help would be appreciated. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

One of my players just scored an overhead kick own goal... icon13.gif

I had a keeper score a goal 2 seasons ago..I just sold him off in the summer..oh it was probably the longest goal in FM History...from inside the penalty area!

Gloucester City Tigers Update

The Tigers continue their merry romp this time they're in League One..the premiership isn't too far away is it?

Well we're amongst some illustrious company..we've been made 70-1 favourites for the drop..and will have to square off against Bradford, Hartlepool and Norwich who are the favorites, not forgetting Millwall and Swansea as well..and did I forget to mention Southampton.

The days of playing beside Ebbsfleet are long gone. During the summer I cleared out my team..17 players walked out of the door for a total of 375k. Amongst them Captain Fantastic Plummer and his Vice Captain..both of whom were central to our drive up and will always be remembered fondly by the fans. The vice-captain was unhappy and wanted more challenges, as if the Dafuge challenge wasn't enough. Having offended Dafuge I promptly accepted ANY offer for him. My captain on the hand filled our coffers with 300k. The coaches were of the opinion that he was already playing at peak potential, I also felt my new formation was now built for speed and destruction, neither attributes were his strengths. Yes there is a hidden attribute called destruction, look under D section 6 part 6 line 6 of the manual.

Well 300k in the bank, and my board give me 30k in wages..after juggling things around I discovered I could have as much as 800k in transfer spending; well I didn't take that route, having my lesson in BSS, I decided to use 200K+300k...in the end I've only spent 75k...and have brought in 10 players. 2 new keepers..2 strikers 2 wingers and 2 defenders. A pace injection is needed in the team. We're woefully slow.

As usual I didn't bother much with preseason, leaving that in the handles of little john, who won 1 out of 5. Our opening match was against Brentford, which we dominated and won 2-1; we then travelled to Watford (Championship) for our League Cup tie which we narrowly lost 2-1 and then went on to hammer Walsall 3-1.

We haven't played a home game yet and the fans should be eager to see the new strikeforce that's been assembled.

League Table after 2 matches as if any would be interested

Mini update Mangotsfield Utd League 1

Well with 10 games remaining we're currently sitting in 4th. Sadly we're 7 points adrift of automatic promotion, so it may be play-offs this time round.

Should finish the season off tonight after work icon_cool.gif

Fingers crossed, Championship here we come icon_wink.gif

Currently suffering from a horrible case of inconsistency. I'll either win or lose, just one draw in 18 matches so far.. Still, 7th in the league in my first season in the Blue Square Premier, can't complain too much seeing as I signed my entire squad in pre-season!

heybridge swifts 2016-17 mini update

fantastic season from swifts as team took on board last seasons experiences and new 4321 formation to new level, despite losing star striker Park for 500k +20% future.

Anyway not concentrating on cup runs was key as lost in 4th qual of fa cup and 3rd round of Vase, but then the silly idiots defended the Setanta Shield providing more celebrations amongst the fans.

Still back to serious matters with 2 games to go team had fallen to 5th and faced 6th placed Billericay in penultamate game of season a 3-2 victory secured play off place, but no chance of title and the goal of promotion. Here's table at end of season, as you can see really close thing was nip and tuck the whole way!

table

Bring on the Bury.

play off semi leg 2

gutted

outplayed them for most of match, had super penalty taker on bench in case, finished with 10 men because of injuries and no chance of bringing him on.

When we scored with 10 men in 92nd minute of 4 minutes i thought we'd done it. They scored their second with clock on 96.39 and there we still had another chance after that. 8minutes injury time played, Fergie would have been having kittens, i'm just dumfounded icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by rashidi1:

Gloucester City Tigers Promoted!

How's this for the last game of the season

Oxford v Gloucester

League Table

10500 at Oxford icon_biggrin.gif for a match that doesn't mean anything given their league position.

That's double what they got last time they played a similarly local team in League 2.

Hard luck mate, that's got to be close to a new latest goal scored record I'd think. Not that it makes it any easier on you at all.

On a side note, it's good to see Gillingham languishing in the Blue Square Premier!

yes i've had better moments thank this

late late show

always next season but i've just made first major decision, selling my top keeper for 1mil+25% to championship side leicester, having told my board i'll get promoted this season! Oh well time will tell

Annihilator666 - Merthyr Tydfil - Season 14/15 - League One

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Top Scorer - Alan Neilson

Fans' Player of the Year - Alan Neilson

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

A somewhat disappointing ending to the season, after being in-and-around the playoff spots for long periods. Had a run of 13 games unbeaten near the end of the season, and with 10 games left to play it looked like I might be able to attain automatic promotion. Alas, my players decided to play like garbage for the final 10 matches. Didn't have any notable cup runs either.

Going to get rid of a couple of players during the pre-season, and hopefully bring in a few new first team players. I have a transfer budget for the first time (£1.7m), so I'll be spending a good chunk of that.

Archived