Players who will be upgraded/downgraded for FM2010 *player naming*

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upgraded: Yossi Benayoun (Liverpool), Naughton (Sheffield United), Wade Elliot (Burnley), Brian Jensen (Burnley), Shay Given (Man City), Fletcher (Manchester United), Turner (Hull), Vidic (Manchester United), Warnock (Blackburn)

Downgraded: Berbatov (Manchester United), Riera (Liverpool), Downing (Middlesbrough), Santa Cruz (Blackburn), Deco (Chelsea), Newcastle :)

Scott Shearer? Are you serious? He is the worst player I've seen in a Bristol Rovers shirt in years, he couldn't stop shots in a U10s game.

You obviously haven't seen him when he has been playing for Wycombe, he's been awesome :D So much so that he got into L2 TOTY :p

Upgrade: Lennon (Spurs) mental, Arshavin (Arsenal) physical, Murphy (Fulham) technical, Jagielka (Everton) mental, Pato (Milano) technical

Downgrade: Nani (Man Utd) mental, Bendtner (Arsenal) Mental, Veloso (Sporting CP) Everything, Obertan (Girondins de Bordeaux) Technical

Adebayor is the most overrated player I've possibly ever seen in a FM game in 09, no-one in real life has had 6 30+ league goal campaigns, he averaged 45-50 a season in all comps.

Bar that I thought the balance was good to be honest in FM2009

I am not saying that Skrtel should not be upgraded...he should be...what i am saying is that the technical, physical and mental attributes of a player should not be upgraded just because he has had a good season. We cannot say whether Skrtel is the better header of the ball or Agger is a better marker or a tackler. But we know that Skrtel consistently performs better that Agger. So what i am saying is..unless there is a very big mistake in reading a player (by the club researcher)..stats should not be altered based on one season...but should be based on the last 3-4 seasons. Instead the consistency rating should be tweaked...this would mean Skrtel outperforms Agger over the full season and if form becomes the number one criteria for player selection by the AI manager, then Skrtel will be chosen ahead of Agger.

For example, Nani is better than Park Ji Sung in dribbling, pace, creativity and crossing (i am speaking about real life stats rather than ingame). However Park is chosen over Nani because even though he is an inferior player compared to Nani, he puts in good performances consistently throughout the season rather than Nani who blows hot and cold. Same goes for Fletcher and Anderson. I mean if we do increase Skrtel's stats because of last season and lower Agger's stats...and if Agger puts up a better performance than Skrtel next season...should Agger be once again upgraded and Skrtel downgraded?

And if i am not mistaken...Agger was the first choice defender before injury forced him out and Skrtel grabbed his chance with some good performances?

yeah i get what you're saying but i'm not talking about one season Skrtel has always performed better than agger since he arrived at liverpool. The only areas i think agger outclasses him is in terms of that monstorous left footed long shot he has and his speed.

But, correct me if i'm mistaken, wasn't it Skrtel that got injured this season for a long period of time that allowed agger time in the first team but once Skrtel was back agger was out. Skrtel was bought to replace an aging Hyypia because benitez must have deemed agger not fully ready to step into the first team.

I consider xavi as the best player in the world for this season. His Spain won EuroCup and his team Barca won both LaLiga and CL. Xavi was mastermind in both. He stats should reflect his contribution. His team work, work rate, passing, flair, creativity and more could be all 18+ for me.

Ronaldinho and Beckham should both lose their edge. Only thing which stand out with these guys is; they help shirt sales and collect big salaries.

UPGRADE: Modric, Srna, Ribery, Pranjic, Inzaghi,

DOWNGRADE: Pretty much every english player, as they are way overrated.....no offense :)

Like someone else said, upgrading Srna? He's already one of the most overrated players in FM (alongside Veloso :))

I see no one has mentioned Cissokho (FC Porto). He'll get a massive upgrade for sure (Lyon's already offering around $15M for him).

Upgraded:

Dzeko - Amazing talent, terrific season. The head German researcher considers him a massive talent... Will be insane probably!

Stephen Ireland - Again such a good season, and I believe Cartman the City researcher quite rates him... Don't think he'll be unrealistically good as Cartman is a very good researcher.

Brede Hangeland - Should have a massive boost in my opinion, rock-solid season from him. He's a bit of "kick the ball as hard and long as you can" sort of player, but very efficient with amazing positional skills.

Shakthar & Dinamo Kiev - not saying it's entirely justified, but knowing the Eastern European researchers they'll surely take maximum advantage of their runs in Europe this year. Expect massive boost just like Zenit/CSKA Moscow in FM09...

Downgraded:

Newcastle - most of their players to be fair...

Petr Cech - His bravery and ability to handle crosses are getting worse and worse.

Hugo Lloris - just a small downgrade perhaps, I still rate him highly personally but he's had some bad showings this season.

Was Micah Richards mentioned? He's one of the best defenders in the game - er...

I know alot of people mention him but his stats are about right, physically hes awesome, technically hes OK and his positional skills are not great, hes my only defender who ever makes glaring errors, they are rare but he is prone to being caught way out of position.

I know alot of people mention him but his stats are about right, physically hes awesome, technically hes OK and his positional skills are not great, hes my only defender who ever makes glaring errors, they are rare but he is prone to being caught way out of position.

I've got him in my team and I'd agree with that. What I'm referring to is that after checking with ScoutGenie, I note that he's potentially the 12th best DC in the world (a/c to SG). That's what ain't right!

That reminds me - not that far behind is Djourou! Down, down!! :eek:

I see no one has mentioned Cissokho (FC Porto). He'll get a massive upgrade for sure (Lyon's already offering around $15M for him).

Lyon has supposedly offered around 20Million Euro's for both Lisandro Lopez and Cissokho, Porto told them to double it. :D

Hugo Lloris - just a small downgrade perhaps, I still rate him highly personally but he's had some bad showings this season.

What? Which bad showings? He's had two or three bad games out of about 45-50 games. Even in those bad games he still pulled off good saves. :D I don't think that is enough to downgrade him, but I'd like to know which parts you would downgrade?

He could be downgraded in PA a little yes, as could most of the high ranked PA goalkeepers (Mandanda, Neur and Alder) as they seem a little too high at the moment.

Woop, waiting for Hopey to get to this thread :D

:thup:

I've got him in my team and I'd agree with that. What I'm referring to is that after checking with ScoutGenie, I note that he's potentially the 12th best DC in the world (a/c to SG). That's what ain't right!

That reminds me - not that far behind is Djourou! Down, down!! :eek:

I never use ScoutGenie so I wouldn't know. If what you say is true then yeah that does sound kinda out to be honest, but then I could mention alot of other defenders who are equally overrated.

Gallas, Toure, Evra, WES BROWN, Djourou (as you mentioned)

And yet players like Jamie Carragher who are consistently awesome for their clubs arent that great.

I know its probably logistically impossible but it would be good if we just had 1 person per league who rated the clubs (or maybe division)

Half these over/under-rated issues arise cause ones mans awesome defender is another mans pub team player.

No doubt (for instance) the guy who rated the Arsenal team (a fan) rates them that highly but performances and most other people tell a different story.

Im no Arsenal basher but tbh in all my years playing FM ive never seen a team so overrated. The only players who shouldn't be downgraded imho are Clichy, Sagna and Fabregas, they are genuinely classy, all the others and can happily walk into Man Utds first 11 in FM, which in real life, they couldnt.

But im sure 100s would disagree with me... hence everyon will never be happy, which is why they include the editor i guess :D

I never use ScoutGenie so I wouldn't know. If what you say is true then yeah that does sound kinda out to be honest, but then I could mention alot of other defenders who are equally overrated.

Gallas, Toure, Evra, WES BROWN, Djourou (as you mentioned)

And yet players like Jamie Carragher who are consistently awesome for their clubs arent that great.

I know its probably logistically impossible but it would be good if we just had 1 person per league who rated the clubs (or maybe division)

Half these over/under-rated issues arise cause ones mans awesome defender is another mans pub team player.

No doubt (for instance) the guy who rated the Arsenal team (a fan) rates them that highly but performances and most other people tell a different story.

Im no Arsenal basher but tbh in all my years playing FM ive never seen a team so overrated. The only players who shouldn't be downgraded imho are Clichy, Sagna and Fabregas, they are genuinely classy, all the others and can happily walk into Man Utds first 11 in FM, which in real life, they couldnt.

But im sure 100s would disagree with me... hence everyon will never be happy, which is why they include the editor i guess :D

I think Nasri, Rosicky and Arshavin would all compete for a place too. Van Persie too maybe, when on form.

i know this might sound biased coming from a Rangers fan but Celtic are ridiculously overated in FM09

if anyone has tried managing in Scotland they will see how ridiculously good they are in the game, constantly firing them in from 30yards. Rangers are pretty well rated in the game but celtic are far too good and you just cant compete with them in the game.

I think Nasri, Rosicky and Arshavin would all compete for a place too. Van Persie too maybe, when on form.

Oh I forgot Arshavin, judged purely on the end of last season, then yeah he definately would.

Nasri maybe a sub.

Rosicky I dont think would even make the bench most weeks.

Van Persie on his day is pretty class, but hes HUGELY inconsistent for a striker imo, definately not better than Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo even when hes playing well.

Oh I forgot Arshavin, judged purely on the end of last season, then yeah he definately would.

Nasri maybe a sub.

Rosicky I dont think would even make the bench most weeks.

Van Persie on his day is pretty class, but hes HUGELY inconsistent for a striker imo, definately not better than Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo even when hes playing well.

I'm not sure I'd even call RVP a striker, but I'm not sure where he'd be more suited. Has played all over the place for Holland. On form I'd say he's atleast on par with Tevez; he's just injury prone and a tad slow to react with the ball at his feet. Superb free-kick taker too.

Nasri I'd say is a better player than Anderson; he's as gritty, but has less of an attitude problem, and is better going forward.

Rosicky who knows really; before he got injured he was immense. Great passing ability and excellent from distance. I think his performance against the USA in the 2006 World Cup was a superb display of what he's capable of. Who knows if he'll ever return to that standard; but he should finally be back in August/September after about 18 months out.

I'm not sure I'd even call RVP a striker, but I'm not sure where he'd be more suited. Has played all over the place for Holland. On form I'd say he's atleast on par with Tevez; he's just injury prone and a tad slow to react with the ball at his feet. Superb free-kick taker too.

Nasri I'd say is a better player than Anderson; he's as gritty, but has less of an attitude problem, and is better going forward.

Rosicky who knows really; before he got injured he was immense. Great passing ability and excellent from distance. I think his performance against the USA in the 2006 World Cup was a superb display of what he's capable of. Who knows if he'll ever return to that standard; but he should finally be back in August/September after about 18 months out.

Well as for RVP id personally pick Tevez over him any day, but thats just me.

Nasri is talented but can drift out of games, also seems to get physically muscled out of the game to easily sometimes. As I said i reckon hed make the Man U bench, better than Nani, worse than Ronaldo.

Rosicky well with respect to the USA it was the USA, they are hardly powerhouses of world football. I mean Peter Crouch ripped Trinidad and Tobago apart, doesnt make him world class.

Rosicky has skill no doubt, but enough to get into Man Us first team, i dont think so personally.

Well as for RVP id personally pick Tevez over him any day, but thats just me.

Nasri is talented but can drift out of games, also seems to get physically muscled out of the game to easily sometimes. As I said i reckon hed make the Man U bench, better than Nani, worse than Ronaldo.

Rosicky well with respect to the USA it was the USA, they are hardly powerhouses of world football. I mean Peter Crouch ripped Trinidad and Tobago apart, doesnt make him world class.

Rosicky has skill no doubt, but enough to get into Man Us first team, i dont think so personally.

Obviously the USA aren't great, but just.. the goals for a start. Hopefully the guy will come back strong; I'm sure he'll be eager to do his best.

Every version i've played over the last few years has 'convinced' me that there are a lot of SI developers who are Arsenal fans because most of their squad and particularly their young players are ridiculously overrated (although this is not quite as bad in FM09).

They almost always become a dominant force within a season or two that simply walk the PL at a canter in my versions, when i'm not playing as a PL team myself, whereas of course i'm the dominant force then AND THAT'S ACCEPTABLE! ;)

Vela has to be the most overrated player in FM, followed by Adebayor. Fabregas (this is controversial) is not far behind also. And before all you Arsenal fans get upset, I think Vela is a good prospect and Fabregas is a class act, but they are both nowhere near as good irl as they are on FM. Fabregas, Vela or Adebayor have won World Footballer of the Year so many times on my different versions of the game over the last few years that I have lost count! I also appreciate that Arsenal have some good up and coming talent, but are they really that much better than the likes of the Man U youngsters?... Mecheda, Rafael, Possebon, Campbell (Hull bound), Fabio, Evans and Wellbeck immediately spring to mind? Having said that though Anderson and Nani (definitely) are overrated as well.

Every version i've played over the last few years has 'convinced' me that there are a lot of SI developers who are Arsenal fans because most of their squad and particularly their young players are ridiculously overrated (although this is not quite as bad in FM09).

They almost always become a dominant force within a season or two that simply walk the PL at a canter in my versions, when i'm not playing as a PL team myself, whereas of course i'm the dominant force then AND THAT'S ACCEPTABLE! ;)

Vela has to be the most overrated player in FM, followed by Adebayor. Fabregas (this is controversial) is not far behind also. And before all you Arsenal fans get upset, I think Vela is a good prospect and Fabregas is a class act, but they are both nowhere near as good irl as they are on FM. Fabregas, Vela or Adebayor have won World Footballer of the Year so many times on my different versions of the game over the last few years that I have lost count! I also appreciate that Arsenal have some good up and coming talent, but are they really that much better than the likes of the Man U youngsters?... Mecheda, Rafael, Possebon, Campbell (Hull bound), Fabio, Evans and Wellbeck immediately spring to mind? Having said that though Anderson and Nani (definitely) are overrated as well.

Am I the only one who doesn't rate Campbell or Welbeck at all?

Welbeck in particular I think is pretty similar to Nani in terms of playing style. Good finish, powerful shot, but inconsistant, pretty lazy, and generally rather unintelligent. He has time to learn, obviously, but I don't think he'll ever be anywhere near a top level footballer.

Am I the only one who doesn't rate Campbell or Welbeck at all?

Welbeck in particular I think is pretty similar to Nani in terms of playing style. Good finish, powerful shot, but inconsistant, pretty lazy, and generally rather unintelligent. He has time to learn, obviously, but I don't think he'll ever be anywhere near a top level footballer.

The harsh cold truth is about 80% of youngsters from teams like Arsenal and Man Utd never make it at those clubs and end up as just average players at best...

Anyone remember when Hoyte and Aliadiere where apparently Arsenals 'next big things' and look what happened to them :(

Macheda i think is rated pretty fairly i mean he hasn't shown much promise yet tbh, same goes for rafael just because he scored an amzing goal against arsenal doesn't mean he's anything special. I'm actually happy that liverpool youths have actually gotten some better ratings on the latest patch seeing as liverpool have been in 3 of the last 4 fa youth cup finals winning twice in that time, yet on the last few versions of fm liverpools youth have all had poor PA with the exceptio of Bouzanis on fm 2008.

Agreed, is just too good in FM09.

Tbh though, I think Vagner Love has a fair case for being considered the best Brazilian striker.

Ronaldo's past it, Adriano's gone sour, Robinho's hardly an out-and-out striker, Pato's not quite the finished product, and out of the rest (Jo, Fred, Amauri, Sobis, Luis Fabiano, Nilmar etc) he's probably the best.

He's still probably over-rated, but not by that much.

Macheda i think is rated pretty fairly i mean he hasn't shown much promise yet tbh, same goes for rafael just because he scored an amzing goal against arsenal doesn't mean he's anything special. I'm actually happy that liverpool youths have actually gotten some better ratings on the latest patch seeing as liverpool have been in 3 of the last 4 fa youth cup finals winning twice in that time, yet on the last few versions of fm liverpools youth have all had poor PA with the exceptio of Bouzanis on fm 2008.

Fair point, but what has Vela done? He's scored a few cracking goals, but usually against crap League Cup opposition. At least Rafael and Macheda have played for Utd's 1st team a bit more against good opposition. I've not seen Vela do that much in the PL.

Fair point, but what has Vela done? He's scored a few cracking goals, but usually against crap League Cup opposition. At least Rafael and Macheda have played for Utd's 1st team a bit more against good opposition. I've not seen Vela do that much in the PL.

That was exactly my point earlier, same goes for Wiltshire and some of the other insanely overrated Arsenal youth players.

They may be promising but as yet they havent produced anything brilliant at a top professional level.

I personally feel it's unrealistic that Arsenal starts to dominate the EPL and European comps myself, but come on people :( Does every single thread that has to do with players ability in FM have to descend into a discussion about Arsenal?

There's no point moaning/greeting/discussing it, the only people who can change it is the Arsenal researcher(s) and the Head England researcher...

Tbh though, I think Vagner Love has a fair case for being considered the best Brazilian striker.

Ronaldo's past it, Adriano's gone sour, Robinho's hardly an out-and-out striker, Pato's not quite the finished product, and out of the rest (Jo, Fred, Amauri, Sobis, Luis Fabiano, Nilmar etc) he's probably the best.

He's still probably over-rated, but not by that much.

Ronaldo isn't past it; I take it you haven't seen any Corinthian games then? He's been amongst the goals and he's looked sharper and leaner (although he still looks a-bit fat but that is just how he is) then he has for a while. In fact it’s even possible should he continue his form he could well be called up for the Seleção.

Luis Fabiano is a very good player, Nilmar has been in good form this season and is currently in the Brazil squad. Sóbis is out injured with a knee problem but he’s hardly a terrible player. Fred has been finding his goal scoring form that he lost near the end of his Lyon career. While Adriano is finding his feet at Flamengo but has already scored for them with a lovely header; Adriano will be back to his best soon.

So while Love is over-rated at the moment, to say Ronaldo is past it is wrong. :D

I personally feel it's unrealistic that Arsenal starts to dominate the EPL and European comps myself, but come on people :( Does every single thread that has to do with players ability in FM have to descend into a discussion about Arsenal?

There's no point moaning/greeting/discussing it, the only people who can change it is the Arsenal researcher(s) and the Head England researcher...

I think the reason they get brought up alot is purely cause its easy to pick so many of them in relation to overated players. Its not cause people hate them particularly its just its easier to discuss them.

If i picked Liverpool or Man Utd while I dont agree with ever players attribute ratings I do think the overall ability of the team is about right, where as Arsenal clearly are overpowered so obviously when discussing overrated players they are going to get mentioned.

Just like if we had a discussion about teams who spend to much money on players teams like Chelsea and Real Madrid would also get mentioned alot.

Archived