Players who will be upgraded/downgraded for FM2010 *player naming*

This year Gibbs has been the best young player to break through in the premiership - he definately needs that shown in a CA increase. Currently he is as good as the other U18's in game, whereas IRL he is as good as most of our first team squad.
Collison and more pertinently Tomkins in dfence have been far better than Gibbs.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very surprised to see people saying Fabregas should be downgraded, I feel if his performances have dropped this season that's due to him not being partnered well in midfield. If Wenger finally brings in a strong midfield presence (here would be a good time to say Felipe Melo needs a slight increase) Fabregas will be back to his best next season.

and no, I'm not an Arsenal fan...

Upgrade

Agbonlahor, Anelka, Villa, Young, Malouda, Alex, Ivanovic, Cole (Carlton), Green, Upson, Michael Turner, Kuyt, Charlie MacDonald, Walcott, O'Shea and Fletcher (both underrated), Beckford, Arteta, Van Persie, Van der Sar(The luckiest keeper in the world due to the fantastic defense he plays behind, a fairly average keeper), Arshavin

Downgrade

Berbatov, Saivet, Almunia, Adebayor, Diaby, Anderson, Clichy, Gallas, Vela, Fabianski, Djourou, Eboue, Afonso Alves, Jermain Defoe, Obafemi Martins

I'm very surprised to see people saying Fabregas should be cheaper, I feel if his performances have dropped this season that's due to him not being partnered well in midfield. If Wenger finally brings in a strong midfield presence (here would be a good time to say Felipe Melo needs a slight increase) Fabregas will be back to his best next season.

Agreed. To trot out the old cliche: Form is temporary...Class is permanent.

Upgrade

Agbonlahor, Anelka, Villa, Young, Malouda, Alex, Ivanovic, Cole (Carlton), Green, Upson, Michael Turner, Kuyt, Charlie MacDonald, Walcott, O'Shea and Fletcher (both underrated), Beckford, Arteta, Van Persie, Van der Sar(The luckiest keeper in the world due to the fantastic defense he plays behind, a fairly average keeper), Arshavin

Downgrade

Berbatov, Saivet, Almunia, Adebayor, Diaby, Anderson, Clichy, Gallas, Vela, Fabianski, Djourou, Eboue, Afonso Alves, Jermain Defoe, Obafemi Martins

Agree with pretty much all of that except for Clichy, Vela and Fabianski. Oh, and Beckford. Distinctly average Championship striker, at best.

downgraded

miguel veloso (SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL)

oscar cardozo (SPORT LISBOA BENFICA)

upgraded

hulk (FCPORTO)

lisandro lopez (FCPORTO)

fernando (FCPORTO)

biased much? Hulk is already amazing he doesn't need to be upgraded, probably downgraded imo.

I'm very surprised to see people saying Fabregas should be downgraded, I feel if his performances have dropped this season that's due to him not being partnered well in midfield. If Wenger finally brings in a strong midfield presence (here would be a good time to say Felipe Melo needs a slight increase) Fabregas will be back to his best next season.

I disagree. His performances in reality (even in top form) are nowhere near as good as in the game. He scores 4-5 screamers per season, is dominant in all the big games, and tackles almost everybody in FM, however I've never seen these things in the real Fabregas's game. The same stands for the whole Arsenal, especially their youngsters, who are prime candidates for the World Player of the Year between 2010-2015. Not to mention Adebayor (one of the best strikers in the game).

This upgrade/downgrade stuff is not a massive problem, though, because everybody can use the data editor to change attributes.

Some more downgrades:

Simon Vukcevic

Fraizer Campbell - England regular in 2010?

Zhirkov

Palombo - one of the best defensive midfielders in the game

Alan Smith - many of us are right, overrated...

Mathieu Flamini - he's a great player, but not top class

I disagree. His performances in reality (even in top form) are nowhere near as good as in the game. He scores 4-5 screamers per season, is dominant in all the big games, and tackles almost everybody in FM, however I've never seen these things in the real Fabregas's game.

Ever actually watched him then? It's his performance in the big games, scoring the goals and charging up and down the midfield that make him the player he is.

Ever actually watched him then? It's his performance in the big games, scoring the goals and charging up and down the midfield that make him the player he is.

He couldn't do anything extra against Anderson. He couldn't do anything extra against Essien/Mikel. He couldn't do anything extra against Fletcher. The top midfielders in England embarassed him, not once. Scoring goals? Maybe, but not 15 a season, and not half of them from 25-30 yrds. I admit he is a world-class passer and user of the ball, good decision making and playmaking attribute, but I've never seen him as a good tackler, regular goalscorer or a as a big game player. He is overrated :cool:

Fabregas is not overrated. He is an attacking midfielder by nature, just like Iniesta en Xavi. But the departure of Gilberto Silva and Flamini has made it impossible for him to play in the style that suits him best.

I dare say that if you would put a defending midfielder like Mascherano or Cambiasso behind him he would be elected the best midfielder in the world in 2010.

Well put Schotsmannetje. Although i feel he underperformed when played in the hole.

Collison and more pertinently Tomkins in dfence have been far better than Gibbs.

I assume they are WHU kids? i guess we are both going to be biased, having seen more of our own players. Although, Collison and tompkins aren't in the england U21 squad are they?

Well put Schotsmannetje. Although i feel he underperformed when played in the hole.

I assume they are WHU kids? i guess we are both going to be biased, having seen more of our own players. Although, Collison and tompkins aren't in the england U21 squad are they?

Collison is a Welsh international and Tomkins is in the England U-21 squad. Tomkins is only 3 days older than Gibbs aswell. :)

Yeah when Wenger played him on the "number 10" position (as we call it in Holland) he didn't play as good as usual. I guess Fabregas is the kind of player who needs to have the space in front of him, instead of being in the space himself, if that makes sense.

We have the same "problem" with Jonathan De Guzman here at Feyenoord. He's a player with great technique, great passing and he has a fabulous shot in both legs. So all the coaches we have position him either on the wing or as a second striker, because they seem to think that that's the position his qualities come out best. I disagree. He is at his best when he plays in the center of the midfield, whilst having the space in front of him, in which case he's able to dictate play.

Same thing counts for Clarence Seedorf, Xavi and Wesley Sneijder, in my opinion footballers who are very similar to Fabregas in terms of positioning. They should play with the space in front of them, not behind or around them.

He couldn't do anything extra against Anderson. He couldn't do anything extra against Essien/Mikel. He couldn't do anything extra against Fletcher. The top midfielders in England embarassed him, not once. Scoring goals? Maybe, but not 15 a season, and not half of them from 25-30 yrds. I admit he is a world-class passer and user of the ball, good decision making and playmaking attribute, but I've never seen him as a good tackler, regular goalscorer or a as a big game player. He is overrated :cool:

He has been hampered by mulitple factors those being lack of decent player to play alongside him, the injury, tired from euros. anyway his p.a. will be coming down for different reasons. How is almunia overrated if anything he is underrated.

Tomkins is in the squad and should have started against Germany over the the oafs Pearce picked.

Collison is a key member of the full Wales squad and probably our most progressive midfielder at West Ham.

In FM, he plays alongside the same players as he would do in real life. His partners are an average Song and Denilson, but he still dominates all the games, despite being "alone".

I think you misunderstood. I see Fabregas as a great player, as I've said his footballing brain and composure on the ball are unique, but if you compare him to Xavi, Iniesta or the Paul Scholes (3 years ago), he is still just one good player.

In FM, he plays alongside the same players as he would do in real life. His partners are an average Song and Denilson, but he still dominates all the games, despite being "alone".

I think you misunderstood. I see Fabregas as a great player, as I've said his footballing brain and composure on the ball are unique, but if you compare him to Xavi, Iniesta or the Paul Scholes (3 years ago), he is still just one good player.

He's probably about as good as Xavi, tbh. Iniesta is a class above them both though.

Fabregas as good as Xavi?

Almost, and in future almost certainly.

In terms of passing and vision I'd say so. Xavi is excellent at controlling the midfield and has a great record of assists. He's also very good at going back when needed, but so is Fabregas if you actually watch his game. Fabregas' scoring record is (I think) better from playing pretty similar roles*, and I'll be controversial and say that these days Xavi is often the weak link in the Barca central midfield, and easily substitutable for Fabregas in the national side.

I was pretty shocked when he won the Euro 2008 Player of the Tournament when he looked distinctly average compared to Iniesta, and on more than one occasion it took the inclusion of Fabregas to spark new life into the team.

I think Xavi is a more naturally talented footballer, but only just, and too often he seems to only show what he's really capable of on a less-than-regular basis. He is very injury-prone and I don't think he's anywhere near the player he could've been, and seems rather inconsistant to me.

Xavi also has the greater confidence, but that comes with age, experience and success. As has been said, Fabregas needs a world-class partner in midfield, and a world-class team around him. No point being able to play great passes if there's no one getting in the right place to receive them or do anything with the ball after.

*Correct me if I'm wrong. I know Xavi's scored a fair few in the last few years, but who at Barca hasn't? :p I might be wrong, and sorry if I am.

I'll also clarify that I do think Xavi is the better player, and on his day is superb. BUT his lack of consistancy in particular means that he often doesn't perform as he could/should, and while the same can be said of Fabregas, who knows how well he'd do, or how consistant he'd be, in a world class side?

He has been hampered by mulitple factors those being lack of decent player to play alongside him, the injury, tired from euros. anyway his p.a. will be coming down for different reasons. How is almunia overrated if anything he is underrated.

I'll agree fabregas hasn't had class players around him but pretty much all the spanish side was tired from euro 2008, yet xavi and iniesta still performed sensationally for barca, and would have done so even without the likes of messi and eto'o up front. Torres (when fit) was superb for liverpool and david villa and david silva have been in great form - so that's not really an excuse.

However i will say that Fabregas imo has made Adebayor look like twice the striker he is at times with defence splitting passes and great vision from Fabregas makes Adebayor's job much easier.

There is no doubt in my mind though that if Fabregas gets a better partner in the centre of midfield he will be able to develop into the best midfielder in the world, he is still so young.

Lastly i definently agree that alumnia is underrated, not a very consistent goalkeeper but on his day he is as good as any other.

In terms of passing and vision I'd say so. Xavi is excellent at controlling the midfield and has a great record of assists. He's also very good at going back when needed, but so is Fabregas if you actually watch his game. Fabregas' scoring record is (I think) better from playing pretty similar roles*, and I'll be controversial and say that these days Xavi is often the weak link in the Barca central midfield, and easily substitutable for Fabregas in the national side.

I was pretty shocked when he won the Euro 2008 Player of the Tournament when he looked distinctly average compared to Iniesta, and on more than one occasion it took the inclusion of Fabregas to spark new life into the team.

I think Xavi is a more naturally talented footballer, but only just, and too often he seems to only show what he's really capable of on a less-than-regular basis. He is very injury-prone and I don't think he's anywhere near the player he could've been, and seems rather inconsistant to me.

Xavi also has the greater confidence, but that comes with age, experience and success. As has been said, Fabregas needs a world-class partner in midfield, and a world-class team around him. No point being able to play great passes if there's no one getting in the right place to receive them or do anything with the ball after.

*Correct me if I'm wrong. I know Xavi's scored a fair few in the last few years, but who at Barca hasn't? :p I might be wrong, and sorry if I am.

I'll also clarify that I do think Xavi is the better player, and on his day is superb. BUT his lack of consistancy in particular means that he often doesn't perform as he could/should, and while the same can be said of Fabregas, who knows how well he'd do, or how consistant he'd be, in a world class side?

tbh he is in a world class side. Spain is one of the worlds best international teams and imo he doesn't seem as strong next to Xavi and Iniesta, Xavi definently deserved player of the tournament for Euro 2008 he was sensational for spain. We must be watching a different Xavi because i haven't seen major inconsistencies in him and i believe him to be much better than Fabregas although one day Fabregas could surpass Xavi's ability.

Marchiso will definetly improve and become more chiseled as a player, instead of being super-versatile and moderately good at everything. The same applies to D'Agostino and Motta who had fine seasons this year. Quaresma will most likely drop into a demise of mental attributes as he showed out to be a downright stupid player when exposed to the pressure of a big league.

Antonio Valencia will definetly improve, but only because he's an addition to United. Edin Dzeko and Grafite will improve in order for them to score a rl-similar massive amount of goals. Pavlyuchenko and Dos Santos will decline.

I'll agree fabregas hasn't had class players around him but pretty much all the spanish side was tired from euro 2008, yet xavi and iniesta still performed sensationally for barca, and would have done so even without the likes of messi and eto'o up front. Torres (when fit) was superb for liverpool and david villa and david silva have been in great form - so that's not really an excuse.

However i will say that Fabregas imo has made Adebayor look like twice the striker he is at times with defence splitting passes and great vision from Fabregas makes Adebayor's job much easier.

There is no doubt in my mind though that if Fabregas gets a better partner in the centre of midfield he will be able to develop into the best midfielder in the world, he is still so young.

Lastly i definently agree that alumnia is underrated, not a very consistent goalkeeper but on his day he is as good as any other.

I have noticed that the others weren't tired but this tournement affect has happened to arsenal before so I am starting to believe it may have something to do wit our style of football.

He's probably about as good as Xavi, tbh. Iniesta is a class above them both though.

Comparing to fabregas is very harsh as iniesta is a different type of player, less of a deep playmakerlike fabregas and xavi and more of a dribbler than both of them.

You must remeber that cesc is much younger than xavi so he has time to improve to become as good or even better.

I have noticed that the others weren't tired but this tournement affect has happened to arsenal before so I am starting to believe it may have something to do wit our style of football.

How was torres not tired? He struggled with fitness and injuries throughout the entire season as a result of euro 2008 but when he played he was still great, so the euro tournament is not an excuse for fabregas not performing as well as other spanish players, i think its more to do with the players he has around him at Arsenal.

I totally disagree :rolleyes:

Xavi's game is not as spectacular as Iniesta's or Fabregas's. His job is always the same, he bosses the midfield while making very simple, "obvious" short passes. IMO Xavi is the strongest link in the Barca midfield. He is not a great dribbler (not a bad one, though, he would be a decent one in the Hungarian national XI:)) as Iniesta or Zidane was, but he is much more patient and careful, level-headed on the ball than Ini or Cesc. He makes the team play, and I think he makes things "easy" for Iniesta. That's the beauty in Xavi's game: he makes things look simple. And all the games I've seen him, he didn't give the ball away as many times as Iniesta vs Barcelona. He's quite consistant.

You must remeber that cesc is much younger than xavi so he has time to improve to become as good or even better.

He has time to improve, but I'm talking about the overrated Fabregas in FM 2009. He's as good as Xavi at the beginning.

I think the reason Xavi makes things look simple is, by and large, because they are. In a team such as Barca, the players around him are working for space well and are very good running off the ball, and consequentially Xavi's job is made somewhat easier, playing almost as a holding player. This is often in contrast to Fabregas who himself is often the one alongside such a holding player, and also while Xavi maybe does his job better, the team he's playing in has an undeniably huge influence on this.

He's not a hugely hard working player, but doesn't need to be, and the reason he can remain level-headed is often because he's playing a role where he has no need to get tired, himself not moving into space so much, and relying on Toure to do the defensive work. For this reason, when Xavi is out injured Barca often see little change in their approach or the results, because other players such as Bisquets can come in and, although less talented, can thrive on the influence around them and the hard work of their team mates.

Reading that back, it seems I'm being overly critical of Xavi, which was not my intention. He's undeniably an outstanding talent. My point is that a comparison of the two is hard, because all they play different roles, it'd be interesting to see how Fabregas performed in Xavi's role, and the reverse scenario. I'm of the opinion that the team around you as a CM is hugely important on how well you perform, and the fact that Fabregas is so highly praised and compared to Xavi despite a significantly inferior side around him surely speaks a lot for the talent of the lad.

With Fabregas, as you say, being more 'spectacular' I'd argue that if placed in Xavi's role in the Barcelona side, the team would certainly not suffer. Maybe it could even thrive, as would the player's performances, gaining the confidence to play the level-headed game, but also being more ambitious in his passing, which he is evidently capable of. For that reason, although not perhaps of the same ability just yet, I'd argue that in a quality side they are both somewhat interchangable.

How was torres not tired? He struggled with fitness and injuries throughout the entire season as a result of euro 2008 but when he played he was still great, so the euro tournament is not an excuse for fabregas not performing as well as other spanish players, i think its more to do with the players he has around him at Arsenal.

What does torres have to do with what i said?, I said it may have something to do with arsenal's style of play.

I feel that Fabregas scores too many goals, he's not known as a goalscorer but he's scored more than Lampard and Gerrard on my saves, and he scores a large proportion from outside the area. He needs to have this area rectified as he is not a goalscoring midfielder in the class of Lampard and Gerrard.

What does torres have to do with what i said?, I said it may have something to do with arsenal's style of play.

You said that Fabregas was more tired throughout the season than other spanish players, possibly because of the way Arsenal play. However i would argue that Torres was one of the more exhausted players due to his obvious struggle to stay fit which was down to inadequate rest, yet Torres performed sensationally when he was fit so it is no excuse for Fabregas not being brilliant over the past season.

Personally i think we should keep this in perspective, relating to Fabregas' CA at the beggining of the game he is sensational for Arsenal even though he isn't that good for Arsenal irl. This may be because he needs some stronger teammates but then why is he that good for Arsenal in fm 09? Sure Arsenal have other players that are arguably overrated but that shouldn't make a massive difference like we see between Fabregas' performances for Arsenal irl and on fm 09.

• 2 months later...
BS fabs is best cm in england. Ade should not be downgraded, im an arsenal fan but it really annoys me that people call ade crap.

almunia sucks,

song upgrade

adebayor is lazy, he isn't in a game for the whole 90 minutes, if he wasn't so lazy he could be one of the best strikers in the world.

Some of the younger Arsenal players (except Vela and Ramsey) need reputation boosts. When the AI manager has control of Arsenal, players like Wilshere, Bartley and Gibbs rot in the reserves until 22/23 until they leave the club with practically the same ratings they start the game with.

The set PA's are fine, maybe even too much for some of them, but the only younger players that ever become Starting IX worthy are Vela and Ramsey because they receive more first team football.

What players do you guys think will be upgraded/downgraded quite substantially attribute-wise in FM2010?

I'll name a few to get the ball rolling:-

Upgraded

Glen Johnson

Clint Dempsey

Sone Aluko obv cos your a Don

Mehdi Taouil

Wilson Palacios

Downgraded

Emmanuel Adebayor???????? He's scored in every game he's played!?!?!?!?

Salomon Kalou

Roman Pavlyuchenko

Nani

Albert Riera

I know everyone isn't going to agree with my choices but it's personal opinion. Let me hear some of your suggestions. :)

Most of them yes but those two?

Archived