Worst Football Manager Ever?

I've just turned the game off for the last time.

I was really looking forward for 2009, but now i wish i had kept the £30 in my pocket, cause this is just the worst football manager game out of all of them. Even Fifa manager is better than this pile of *****.

And before any one mentions that daft TTF i've actually read the damn thing 5 times, and spent hours trying to create a tactic with no success at all. I've never had to do that before on older versions, so why do we suddenly have to become Arsene Wenger just to play the fooking thing?

I'd like to know why SI aimed football manger 09 towards the pro gamers(tactical geniuses), while us casual gamers got the shitty stick waived towards us.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Head over to the tactics forum, loads in there.

Are you saying its the worst FM of all time just because YOU cant play it? THere are thousands who can

I've tried all sorts of tactics, other fm players have posted on the net... none of them have worked.

I'm not saying its the worst because i cant play it, but there are thousands and thousands who are in the same position i am in. The match engine is total crap, and the people who have managed to be ok at it, are either tactical Einstein's or they have just got lucky with the sliders.

If you follow strictly everything TTF says you're screwed.

BTW, the game is still easy, don't forget you're playing against stupid AI.

Yeah i tried too take bits and pieces from it, but the effects ranged from bad to worse. i would try different tactics, and some would end with a 6-0 thrashing, and another would end with a 2-0 beating with me having 0 shots on target.

i really dont understand why si didnt just turn the ass man into a difficulty modifier. casual gamers can then delegate more to the ass man and get more feedback about their tactics, having him take care of OI's etc.

That would have been a big help, cause its irritating having to pause the game every 2 mins to check what the assistant is yapping on about.

I've never had to bother with OI's in the past, so why has it become more important to do so now. its like if you don't listen to him you lose. although you will probably lose any ways.

I'm not a tactical genius and I certainly haven't spent much time reading any tactics advice forums, and I think this is the best FM yet. I'm up now when I have to be in work in less than six hours precisely because I'm having so much fun with the game. I keep saying 'just one more match'. I've closed it for the night now, though. Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow, though.

like already mentioned on forum you have to stick with same tactic

it took me a whole season before i started to get a good run and i was man united for 1st season i did rubbish but stayed with same tactic and 2nd season its working out lot better for me

and also i ignore my ass man i completely shut off to him during game and not read a thing he says and that has worked out better for me also then listening to him in season one

Agree, darkstarr. Just bought myself this game as I have with every CM/FM since 93. Didn't knew that I needed to quit my job and studies to at least be able to stay in PL with Newcastle. And I sticked to my 4231 TTF, with some modifications, all season.

I was really looking forward for 2009, but now i wish i had kept the £30 in my pocket, cause this is just the worst football manager game out of all of them. Even Fifa manager is better than this pile of *****.

And before any one mentions that daft TTF i've actually read the damn thing 5 times, and spent hours trying to create a tactic with no success at all. I've never had to do that before on older versions, so why do we suddenly have to become Arsene Wenger just to play the fooking thing?

I'd like to know why SI aimed football manger 09 towards the pro gamers(tactical geniuses), while us casual gamers got the shitty stick waived towards us.

Hmm, to be frank, wwfan and millie, as well as the other contributors to the Tactical forums, could not have explained the tactical system any clearer. It gives us great insight as to how one may shape the tactical instructions to reflect one's desired style of playing football. To label it 'daft' is just plain unfair and makes me question if you had indeed read it as thoroughly as you had claimed.

Personally I feel that SI should continue developing the sophistication of the match engine and the tactical instructions system. After all, the game is meant to simulate football management close to its entirety. That means reflecting the realism of losing matches due to poor man management skills and incoherent tactical frameworks.

Moreover, SI does not alienate the casual gaming base as you have claimed they do. They have included default formations for those that are apprehensive of creating their own. Those default formations are certainly suitable enough and will guarantee more than your decent share of wins at the very least.

You will find that most people want a game to be challenging and that you are in the minority. Where is the fun (yes fun being the reason why people play a game) in just taking control of a team, taking a really attacking formation, sign all the best players and just waltz through all teams as if they are not there? That is i assume what you want?

It is much better when it is a challenge i assume 99% of the players would agree with me here. Besides in this game the only difference between being a casual player and a hardcore player is the amount of time you spend playing it, it has nothing to do with your tactical nouse, or your signings being great or whatever. I play World of warcraft and i am what you call 'An end game raider' That is i play the game at the very high end. There is a major distinction of being casual and hardcore there on that game being that you NEED to play a lot to be able to get the rewards of the game at the higher level. This game is equally rewarding no matter how long you play it for. There is a difference.

Stop crying, if FM was gonna remain the same whats the point of 09 being released exactly the same as last year and the year before that. Ive got to games going on in it so far one with Sheffield Wed. and other with Tottenham, i use 2 tactics in with tot which are default ones and with shef wed ive kept the original tactic and guess what you win some and lose some. There is alot more to the game than tactics, or haven't you learnt that due to the fact of focusing on crying instead..

I've tried all sorts of tactics, other fm players have posted on the net... none of them have worked.

I'm not saying its the worst because i cant play it, but there are thousands and thousands who are in the same position i am in. The match engine is total crap, and the people who have managed to be ok at it, are either tactical Einstein's or they have just got lucky with the sliders.

Yeah i tried too take bits and pieces from it, but the effects ranged from bad to worse. i would try different tactics, and some would end with a 6-0 thrashing, and another would end with a 2-0 beating with me having 0 shots on target.

you have to have the right players for the right tactics.list your team and your tactics.or try my formation gk

cb cb cb

dm

rm cm cm lm play a quick passing game with attacking play

(drops deep) st st

i agree it is the best FM to date, the tatics are challenging but as someone previously said constant chopping and changing will not work. You need to pick 1 formation and tweak it in certain areas where required to make it work. Start with a default 4-4-2 and work from there

I'm sorry, but "read the TTF" or "download some tactics" shouldn't be an answer to the question "as a casual gamer, why can't I enjoy this game". What percentage of people who buy FM worldwide, will look at this forum? And why should they have to?

I think everyone will agree that the game is a lot less accessible than it used to be, if that's SI's strategy, then so be it. I'm sure they are aware of their market and target audience. There are other management games out there for casual player, there are older versions of FM that are considerably easier that you can still get data updates for.

Whilst I sympathise with the people who are upset with the increasing difficulty, heavy reliance on micro-management and the need for a lot more tactical tweaking, the game has evolved and you have a choice to make - try and learn and adapt to the new version, or go back to an easier incarnation.

And many people won't like having to make this choice (hence the amount of threads on this forum from upset customers).

You know tactics/game engine is fubared when you see how 1 tactic consistently gives you draws with almost no goals. w-d-l: 1 - 7 - 1, f-a: 5-5. Then move 1 of the 2 AMCs up in attack and the games go 4-3 etc.. That's beyond stupid. Game engine and tactics are crap. But if you don't care much about tactics and just go for one which "works" (wins you games no matter how silly it is) then it's fine i guess.

I prefer controlling my team and fm09 doesn't make me feel like i'm in control.

im sorry gotta also disagree with the OP, it can be frustrating but like people have said dont chop and change tactics, if you stick with one and tweak it you will get a bit more consistancy. You will still lose matches, thats what happens in real life...hey chelsea lost on the weekend!:D

but aren't there posts like this EVERY year when they release the latest version.

the guy who wrote this post is clearly nuts.

In my opinion this is the best fm for many years, i love it.

I have found great tactics through shear hard work, or so it felt. I have been up and down and up again with my reading team.

I have rebuilt my team 2-3 times, with good and bad buys.

I have played it for 50 hrs since release date. This really, for me anyways, is the best yet.

But I dont hav the 3d match engine on, as although I accept si are trying move forward, I think it slows my game down and looks rubbish

You know tactics/game engine is fubared when you see how 1 tactic consistently gives you draws with almost no goals. w-d-l: 1 - 7 - 1, f-a: 5-5. Then move 1 of the 2 AMCs up in attack and the games go 4-3 etc.. That's beyond stupid. Game engine and tactics are crap. But if you don't care much about tactics and just go for one which "works" (wins you games no matter how silly it is) then it's fine i guess.

i disagree i feel you are more in control of your team than you ever have been. In previous versions you could pick a standard formation with everything set to Mixed/normal and you would run away with the league, now you actually have to give it some thought to get yours players playing the way you want them to.

on the tactics thing, I have spent ages trying get tactics working, so they do for a season then I have to change them etc etc. I find it a big part of the game and so great when I get them working. I use pre season to try 5-8 different tacs I have come up with, and I havn't used the tacs forum at all, apart from some help closing the gaps

I'm sorry, but "read the TTF" or "download some tactics" shouldn't be an answer to the question "as a casual gamer, why can't I enjoy this game". What percentage of people who buy FM worldwide, will look at this forum? And why should they have to?

I think everyone will agree that the game is a lot less accessible than it used to be, if that's SI's strategy, then so be it. I'm sure they are aware of their market and target audience. There are other management games out there for casual player, there are older versions of FM that are considerably easier that you can still get data updates for.

Whilst I sympathise with the people who are upset with the increasing difficulty, heavy reliance on micro-management and the need for a lot more tactical tweaking, the game has evolved and you have a choice to make - try and learn and adapt to the new version, or go back to an easier incarnation.

And many people won't like having to make this choice (hence the amount of threads on this forum from upset customers).

Got to say (Captain Planet) I have found the tactics easier in this version, I play 442 sometimes switiching one midfielder to DM and the other to AM and tweak attacking, width and closing down before and during a game but not much else.

Personaly, what I like most is I can see exactly my changes working on the pitch for example, close the gap between midfield and attack.

Did you try this guys? Download V2 (bottom of the page) and stick with the "standard" tactic for a while. You should see at least a little improvement and then you can switch between "attack", "control", "defensive" etc... once you get the hang of it.

I am not sure what to pick and when?

Use this as a rough guide, once you become familiar use you own knowledge to decide what to use and when, i don't know how good your decision of team talks and player abilities are.

Playing against a side 3 or 4 leagues below you Control

Clear Favourites Attack

Very Close Odds Standard

Underdog Defensive

Extreme Underdog Shut Up Shop

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2175617&postcount=295

Does that mean real life is "fubared" when you see Arsenal lose to Hull one week and beat Man united and Chelsea soon after?

Some of you are just bad loses, it's as simple as that

I bet you'd rejoice if SI went back to the days where you could download a Diablo tactic and win with zero effort

I've used my successfull fm08 tactic and in 2 seasons at liverpool I've won 8 trophys. Not exactly hard to say the least, infact I think it is even easier than FM2007. It's fact that some people just plain suck at certain pc games. Just like not everyone can be a footballing superstar, nor a legend at cricket.

4-4-2 does seem the way to go in FM09

in all fairness the chap who has started this thread is correct, i am finding this game extremly(and annoyingly) hard to handle, i still keep trying and prefer not to play with these super tactics that people seem to have. the features in this game are absolutely amazing and i am enjoying every part of it, bar the matches! which IMO are the key feature to the game obviously. but it has gone too far down the tactic road.

the person who posted this isnt a sore loser and has stated his dissatisfaction much better than the thousands who have also been unhappy.

i know 6 other people with this game who all have the same problem. it is a bad ploy by SI to aim it at hardcore fanatics and they risk losing business to CM when it comes out.

Its really not that tricky to get it to work nicely, It took me about half a season of tinkering with things to hit on upon a formation and settings that had my team playing how I wanted and winning games. I never look at the tactics forum, its simply not required and I would much rather win with my own tactics.

my two cents... I am currently playing with Arsenal (always start a game with a big club to get tactics right, but usually this game would last 2 or 3 days) I have been tweaking my tactics for 2 weeks now and somehow I cannot manage to have my players scoring enough for my taste (main striker has bagged 5 goals and I am currently in december) I am not asking them to score 50 a season but ther current return is to low.

What worries me is that when I browse the forums I see a lot of people reporting similar stories and yet there is no official stand from SI on this yet. They could at lest say it's a bug and that they are looking at it for patch 2

Alternatively, if they do not think it is a bug, they could probably provide some guildelines about strikers settings with the new engine.

I think the importance of tactics in FM is massively overstated and can only agree with those who say don't chop and change.

I've adopted the "if it aint broke..." approach to playing - I took the default 4-4-2, read through TT&F and made a slight tweak from the default in accordance with their principles whenever we lost a match or under-performed.

Whenever I made a new signing intended to go straight into the first team, I'd hold off messing around with tactics completely until the new guy had been allowed some time to bed into our existing system. One change at a time...

I've now got a previously average Carlisle side motoring at the top of League 1. I'm no tactical genius, and I would say most of our success is down to two or three shrewd signings, solid man management and a very simple way of playing where every player knows his job. Yeah we lose games, and sometimes we lose games that the opposition has absolutely no right winning, but hey that's football.

"It's your tactics" has to be the most annoying phrase I keep hearing on these boards, because the game is so much more than that.

Winning games takes more than tactics indeed Ferrari but you can see even with rubbish players if your tactics are working as such. If they're getting in the right positions, playing the right kind of balls and things even if they screwed up their touch, blasted it over the bar and gave the ball right to the opposition for them to score.

For everyone who can't play the game cos it's "too hard" there's someone who finds it "too easy".

QUOTE]

I beg to differ mate. No way is it split 50/50, I know a lot more who have played FM in the past who have stopped buying just because of the difficulty, more than currently still play. In fact, there were a loa dof us at one point who used to play on regular intervals - I am the last remaining player.

I haven't given 09 a fair shot yet and only played a couple of league games into my 1st season - going ok to be fair, but I just know it's all gonna come crashing down. I find the game very disheartening when you put so much effort in to get nothing out. When I play, it's my leisure time - I want to have fun in my leisure time, not feel like throwing my pc out of the window (also I recently got an xbox and addicted to Fifa on Live ;-)

Archived