two minor issues SI has ignored YET again...

I still THINK there is an issue with corners. I didnt look into my stats with any detail but all I know is in my first season with Man Utd, I scored 111 (league) goals, a fair chunk coming from defenders and Ashley Young (corner taker) had 29 assists in the league alone.

This is just from using the default corner settings. All I did was make Young the taker, nothing more. Like I say, I didnt check into any detail how the goals were scored but the fact that my defenders scored more than what I would class as an average amount of goals, and the fact that my corner taker had an insane amount of assists leads me to believe there is a problem with corners somewhere. Even with the default settings.

Hi Andy H. Let's say you're playing as an underdoggy-style team - a minnow promoted beyond their usual station - it would be realistic to defend like Billy Ocean and hope to nick a goal from set pieces. Accordingly one would likely spend a lot of time in training working on corners. Without wanting to yank anyone's chain, Stoke spring to mind. As things stand corners *seem* overpowered and I think a lot of us leave them alone so as not to unbalance the game.

1. Don't use it although it is annoying.

That's not an answer. There are issues with team talks and scouting. Are we supposed to not use them, too?

A proper answer would be "yes, you are right they have neglected. I hope it will get fixed soon."

That's not an answer. There are issues with team talks and scouting. Are we supposed to not use them, too?

A proper answer would be "yes, you are right they have neglected. I hope it will get fixed soon."

It hasn't been neglected though has it?

Although there has been a corner exploit of varying success in the last 5? versions of FM it has been different each time. SI have admitted in the past that every time they've closed an exploit another has appeared and its proved to be a very difficult bug to clear totally.

It hasn't been neglected though has it?

Although there has been a corner exploit of varying success in the last 5? versions of FM it has been different each time. SI have admitted in the past that every time they've closed an exploit another has appeared and its proved to be a very difficult bug to clear totally.

Would you agree that the term 'exploit' is to be used when you set up a specific set of instructions for your corners which results in an odd amount of goals? If so, how come im having the same results without 'exploiting' anything? Just using the default corner settings not a unique set of instructions?

Would you agree that the term 'exploit' is to be used when you set up a specific set of instructions for your corners which results in an odd amount of goals? If so, how come im having the same results without 'exploiting' anything? Just using the default corner settings not a unique set of instructions?

No I wouldn't Yay.

Personally I view the term "Exploit" in this context as meaning you constantly score a significant level of goals above the average you should expect from corners irrelevant of the instructions being default or setup by the user.

No I wouldn't Yay.

Personally I view the term "Exploit" in this context as meaning you constantly score a significant level of goals above the average you should expect from corners irrelevant of the instructions being default or setup by the user.

Then its not an exploit, its a fault with the ME. Im not exploiting anything if im using default settings. Exploit means you purposely take advantage (i.e setting up a unique set of instructions to score goals from corners) but by using default settings your not doing that. If people are still getting an unreasonable amount of goals from corners using default settings, it needs looking into.

The corner "bug" works even on Default settings... I wouldn't call it an exploit because I don't even NEED to set up a specific routine to get my CBs to score a ludicrous amount of goals...

Do I need to go out of my way to "unexploit" a bug that has been plaguing the match engine for like three years?!

Then its not an exploit, its a fault with the ME. Im not exploiting anything if im using default settings. Exploit means you purposely take advantage (i.e setting up a unique set of instructions to score goals from corners) but by using default settings your not doing that. If people are still getting an unreasonable amount of goals from corners using default settings, it needs looking into.

I'm not looking for an argument Yay and this is just my opinion.

Playing devil's advocate you could argue by not changing the default instructions when you recognise you are scoring an extreme amount of goals you are also taking advantage albeit by being passive.

At the end of the day Yay its your save and nothing to do with anyone else but reading your responses I feel your not 100% happy with scoring as many goals as you are from corners.

I'm not looking for an argument Yay and this is just my opinion.

Playing devil's advocate you could argue by not changing the default instructions when you recognise you are scoring an extreme amount of goals you are also taking advantage albeit by being passive.

At the end of the day Yay its your save and nothing to do with anyone else but reading your responses I feel your not 100% happy with scoring as many goals as you are from corners.

Im not looking to argue either. Just clarifying that this is no longer an exploit. We have had exploits in the past, like the lurk exploit or the back post exploit, which were specific instructions set by the user knowing what would result. When the issue starts creeping into default settings, thats what worries me.

In the past, people say 'dont use the exploit and it will be fine'. Thats all well and good, but when it happens with default settings and people's answer is 'don't use the default settings then' what really are you supposed to do? You can set up more detailed instructions yourself, but that would probably make it even worse. If the ME cant defend 'default' corners, what chance does it have against detailed corners?

Im not looking to argue either. Just clarifying that this is no longer an exploit. We have had exploits in the past, like the lurk exploit or the back post exploit, which were specific instructions set by the user knowing what would result. When the issue starts creeping into default settings, thats what worries me.

In the past, people say 'dont use the exploit and it will be fine'. Thats all well and good, but when it happens with default settings and people's answer is 'don't use the default settings then' what really are you supposed to do? You can set up more detailed instructions yourself, but that would probably make it even worse. If the ME cant defend 'default' corners, what chance does it have against detailed corners?

This is where your train of thought falls down.

Its usually specific orders to specific types of players that cause the exploit, for example something like having a tall DC on "Attack Near Post". By default a DC might be given that instruction but by simply changing it for a different one you can usually avoid exploit territory.

• Administrators

Bit convoluted but the 'disappearing manager picture' can be fixed by the following:

1:

- In-game, go to preferences -> display & sound-> select "show unique IDs" and ensure "use skin cache" is unticked & "always reload on confirm" is ticked.

- Next, go to your manager info and you'll see a long number by your name - something like "139456789123"

2:

Save your chosen manager picture as this long number (making sure it's a .PNG file) into the following folder:

my documents/sports interactive/fm2011/graphics/faces/me

(You may need to create the last 3 folders)

3:

- Next, open Notepad and copy the follwing text into a new notepad document:

<record>

<!-- resource manager options -->

<!-- don't preload anything in this folder -->

<boolean id="preload" value="false"/>

<!-- turn off auto mapping -->

<boolean id="amap" value="false"/>

<!-- picture mappings -->

<!-- the following XML maps pictures inside this folder into other positions

in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any

place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics

files from the correct places

-->

<list id="maps">

<record from="XXX" to="graphics/pictures/person/XXX/portrait"/>

</list>

</record>

- Replace the two "XXX"s with the long number from before.

- Save this notepad document as "config.xml" into the same "me" folder as your manager picture.

4:

- Go back to your game preferences and untick "Show unique IDs" -> Click confirm and your picture should then load up (and not disappear every time you reload the game from now on).

This is where your train of thought falls down.

Its usually specific orders to specific types of players that cause the exploit, for example something like having a tall DC on "Attack Near Post". By default a DC might be given that instruction but by simply changing it for a different one you can usually avoid exploit territory.

I see where your coming from. So if SI program those instructions in as default, you would assume that the default setting is a reasonable every day set of instructions that any normal person would consider good practice for a corner. So shouldn't SI test this set of 'normal' instructions so that at least the default setting would give a realistic return from corners?

I see where your coming from. So if SI program those instructions in as default, you would assume that the default setting is a reasonable every day set of instructions that any normal person would consider good practice for a corner. So shouldn't SI test this set of 'normal' instructions so that at least the default setting would give a realistic return from corners?

In general I would agree however FM overall and the ME specifically is a huge game with an infinite amount of inputs which means its impossible for SI to test everything. Having millions of users playing the game every day its only natural for them to find something that the SI testers didn't. On top of this you also have things that testers find but programmers either can't or don't have time to fix.

In terms of the corner situation and again using a tall DC on "Attack near post" orders as an example the exploit probably wouldn't occur all the time but would be dependent on a number of factors, some of which could be:

A) DC attributes - Jumping, heading, strength, anticipation etc

B) Corner takers attributes - Corners, crossing, passing, decisions etc

C) The opposition markers attributes - Jumping, strength, positioning, marking etc

I don't know why you think the first issue is 'minor'. Set piece defending was utterly deplorable on FM11, and is just as bad in FM12. I've pretty much just accepted that they can't fix it at this point without screwing up something else.

It's kind of like the "goal kick - header - striker clean through" issue. Brought up millions of time on FM11, so blatantly obvious to anyone who plays longer than five minutes, yet it remains.

I'm not going to lie, I cried a little inside when I read "we felt the FM11 match engine was polished enough to not have to make any major changes this time around."

I wasn't even aware there was a corner exploit in this version.

I've read that someone's worked out how to set one up. Doesn't bother me because I won't use it. I don't see a need to overachieve massively using exploits just because other people claim the game is too easy, while I can't keep up with their extraordinary *cough* achievements.

It's kind of like the "goal kick - header - striker clean through" issue. Brought up millions of time on FM11, so blatantly obvious to anyone who plays longer than five minutes, yet it remains.

Actually I swear this is happening less than 10% of the time that it was occuring in FM2011 - I can't even remember it happening once, either for me or against me, in my current save. Don't know if it's because I'm playing with a different tactical setup this version, or if they actually tweaked something to make it less frequent.

I've read that someone's worked out how to set one up. Doesn't bother me because I won't use it. I don't see a need to overachieve massively using exploits just because other people claim the game is too easy, while I can't keep up with their extraordinary *cough* achievements.

You really should take something for that cough. I'm sorry to hear that you are not very good at this game, however don't despair, there is a lot of help and advice in the Tactics & Training section.

Actually I swear this is happening less than 10% of the time that it was occuring in FM2011 - I can't even remember it happening once, either for me or against me, in my current save. Don't know if it's because I'm playing with a different tactical setup this version, or if they actually tweaked something to make it less frequent.

It's the tactical changes you've made - certain systems make certain types of goals/events happen more often because of weaknesses in the system.

I absolutely agree with you. Default corner routine is it self an exploit(/bug) for past two versions and this is really annoying. On top of it minor user input can make it even worse:

target far or near post + set forward to mark goalkeeper

If you tweak corner routine to reduce number of goals it will unbalance the game as AI will continue to use it (most of the goals that AI scores against me come from corners). Not to mention that unrealistic amount of goals from corners gives certain tactics unfair advantage (for example: attacking mentality + long shots set to often). Human managers that favor defensive counterattacking tactics can partly compensate through match preparation (set to defensive set peaces), but I don't know is AI smart enough to use the same trick. So this issue (exploit/bug) unbalances the game and thus needs much more attention from developers for next release.

Unwillingness of forwards to pass or cross the ball to partner (when 2 v 1) during counterattacks is irritating as well.

Odd thing here and I'm far too lazy too do any research on it:) but I used a certain default tactic (completely unadjusted) which really did produce an unhealthy number of corner goals from my DC's, using a different (unadjusted default) tactic made these goals completely dry up.

Conclusion? component parts of a default tactic can have an effect on what your team do at corners.

I'm not going to lie, I cried a little inside when I read "we felt the FM11 match engine was polished enough to not have to make any major changes this time around."

+1 :thup:

It was worse on FM10 but looking at my FM11 save after 10 seasons of experience I can safely say I maybe see this once every 5-6 matches and even then it doesn't register as a CCC and I would say I maybe see 2-3 goals scored a season this way.

Its does stand out, more so because of what you read on the forums but in truth it has very little impact on game play.

Odd thing here and I'm far too lazy too do any research on it:) but I used a certain default tactic (completely unadjusted) which really did produce an unhealthy number of corner goals from my DC's, using a different (unadjusted default) tactic made these goals completely dry up.

Conclusion? component parts of a default tactic can have an effect on what your team do at corners.

The default tactics tend to have different set piece setups as default to match the tactic.

Its does stand out, more so because of what you read on the forums but in truth it has very little impact on game play.

The countless headers from corners that go over the bar have 'very little impact on game play' but it is still extremely irritating to see little to no marking being done, despite tactical instruction to do so.

The countless headers from corners that go over the bar have 'very little impact on game play' but it is still extremely irritating to see little to no marking being done, despite tactical instruction to do so.

Do you get irritated when this happens in real life football then?

I don't know if there are any statistics but it would be interesting to see what % of corners are won by attackers/defenders and if they are clean/contested. Further to that what sort of % of attacking headers are on target/off target and how FM stacks up to the real life stats.

EDIT

Just because you don't see the marking doesn't mean it isn't happening, its just the graphics highlight isn't showing it partly due to the number of animations available.

right well done for answering mate but-

1. for flocks sake sort it out with a patch!!! how many years do you need it to be demonstrated that this works!

all you weirdos that say, "dont use something that beats the game" need shooting. why would you completely ignore a tactic that works??? its like neglecting to press 'fire' in space invaders..

2. yes! i know how to get my profile face back! but why should i dick about with your wanky way? in the words of roy walker, its good but its not right.

Well that's the answer I gave. Sorry it doesn't live up to your expectations.

Not seen any issues regarding team talks or scouting as all my scouts seem to be working the way they should. I send them on assignments they come back with recommended players although I would like the option of telling them to scout only players with 3.5 upwards potential.

right well done for answering mate but-

1. for flocks sake sort it out with a patch!!! how many years do you need it to be demonstrated that this works!

all you weirdos that say, "dont use something that beats the game" need shooting. why would you completely ignore a tactic that works??? its like neglecting to press 'fire' in space invaders..

2. yes! i know how to get my profile face back! but why should i dick about with your wanky way? in the words of roy walker, its good but its not right.

Your comparison is not right. You need to press 'fire' in space invaders. In FM you do not need to use the corner exploit.

Your comparison is not right. You need to press 'fire' in space invaders. In FM you do not need to use the corner exploit.
Technically, you don't have to press "fire" in Space Invaders (i.e. the "default")... The natural comparison to Space Invaders is that without pressing "fire", your spaceship somehow still takes out half the enemies...

If you are using the default settings your not really exploiting are you? So your saying that people shouldnt use the default settings that come with the game? If the default settings are indeed exploiting the ME, this is a fault on SI's part and should be looking to fix it.

That's funny I have default corner settings as well but score no more than I would normally expect.

As Man Utd first season using default settings.

Ashley Young - Corner taker - 29 assists

Nemanja Vidic - 8 goals

Rio Ferdinand - 6 goals

Chris Smalling - 5 goals

phil Jones - 6 goals

Jonny Evans - 6 goals

Nani also got 14 assists

Archived