Great Britain U23

• 4 weeks later...

After Team GB won gold I got the news that Hodgson had stood down. I wasn't asked to apply but I assumed that was the expectation since I hadn't subscribed to the news. I didn't bother, but it does raise the question, what's the point? Team GB is created just for the Olympics in London; after that there is no plan for them to compete. So if you do manage them, won't you just be playing friendlies and annoying club managers?

After Team GB won gold I got the news that Hodgson had stood down. I wasn't asked to apply but I assumed that was the expectation since I hadn't subscribed to the news. I didn't bother, but it does raise the question, what's the point? Team GB is created just for the Olympics in London; after that there is no plan for them to compete. So if you do manage them, won't you just be playing friendlies and annoying club managers?

After the Olympics finishes the game automatically resigns you.

• 3 weeks later...

I also got this job, but I feel the preassure for getting at least a medal. Do you guys run with whatever formation/tactic you use for your main team, or did you build something completely new for this specific team? Am I able to arrange a friendly or something with the team? Kinda hard to find my best 11 when I go straight into the group stages of the Olympics, and results HAVE to come from day one.

I picked the following first XI:

GK Joe Hart

DR Kyle Walker

DL Matthew(?) Briggs

DC Chris Smalling

DC Phil Jones

MR James Milner (not an obvious choice, but he'd been amazing for my City side)

ML Gareth Bale

MC Aaron Ramsey

MC Jack Rodwell

FC Theo Walcott (just about underage!)

FC Wayne Rooney

My subs were all just England U21 players. Beat a Brazil side with Neymar and Hulk, among others, in the final.

It worked out fine. I used the same tactics as with my main team, and won the tournament.

Used Joe Hart, Cary Gahill and Wayne Rooney as the old three.

Only regret I have is bringing Kieran Gibbs with me. He was horrible. Should have used the right back from Chelsea (can't remember his name).

Even had Goodwillie score a hat-trick! haha. Fun tournament to build my reputation, but it kinda messed up my pre-season with Blackburn.

Just finished my fist season with Wolves (finished a respectable 7th behind the 6 big boys and got into Europe!). Had a message stating Team GB were after a manager, I applied, and was accepted. Anyone know if my taking this job will have any impact with the Wolves board/players/fans, and if this job automatically expires once the Games are over, or, as someone posted above, you stay as the manager (kind of in the background) until the next Games? Cheers

I am not sure if the team can run in 2016 and onwards. Most nations in Europe qualify by reaching the semi-finals of the UEFA Under-21 European Championship, but obviously Great Britain can't do this and in the past when Egland have done well enough to qualify, Great Britain has not entered anyway. There's been no announcement of a change to this because of us entering as hosts in 2012, so if SI go by the normal policy and stick to the status quo the opportunity will only arise again if somewhere in the U.K. is chosen to host a future Olympics in game.

I am not sure if the team can run in 2016 and onwards. Most nations in Europe qualify by reaching the semi-finals of the UEFA Under-21 European Championship, but obviously Great Britain can't do this and in the past when Egland have done well enough to qualify, Great Britain has not entered anyway. There's been no announcement of a change to this because of us entering as hosts in 2012, so if SI go by the normal policy and stick to the status quo the opportunity will only arise again if somewhere in the U.K. is chosen to host a future Olympics in game.

This is a good point :p Will have to run with the Games and see how the Wolves board react. Wish me luck!

I got the job and went with this:

GK: Hart

RB: Smalling

CB: Caulker

CB: Bartley

LB: Cole

RM: Walcott (although he got injured so Cleverley deputised)

CM: Ramsey

CM: Lampard

LM: Bale

ST: Welbeck

ST: Sturridge

I also took Dale Jennings and he netted 5 times! Wayne Rooney was injured though and Bale picked up an injury in the first game, so Danny Rose ended up on the left.

I came third.

On my game I started off at Arsenal with sunday league rep, got sacked in the first season so my rep wasnt high enough to get GB job but managed to get New Zealand for the Olympics. Had a half decent team but was knocked out in the group stage by Brazil and China. Even with New Zealand who can compete at the Olympics in 2016 I was automatically resigned

Is there anyway to get the gb team to be permanent?
Anyone know if you can manage GB in 2016? i missed out on my long save, probably due to the fact that i started off managing in the BSP.

Wondering about this, myself. Is the position only available due to England hosting the Olympics? Why would this be when soccer is played at all games?

Totally wrong Alex. The reason is, that there is no Olympic team called England. It's Team GB and NI. London is hosting the Olympics, the team GB and NI football team has been created so that GB and NI have a football team at the Olympics, however only the English FA have backed the idea so the British Athletic Association have basically handed over the team to the FA who have picked their own coaches and will run the team.

Nowt to do with stadiums.

Anyone know if you can manage GB in 2016? i missed out on my long save, probably due to the fact that i started off managing in the BSP.

No you can't. After London 2012 they're unplayable and do not take part in any further games, friendlies or otherwise.

This is despite the job being 'available' in the job centre but permanantely unapplyable. It's something that annoys me, frankly and I hope it's fixed in the patch. If I can't manage them, get rid of the icon from the jobs screen!

• 2 weeks later...
Totally wrong Alex. The reason is, that there is no Olympic team called England. It's Team GB and NI. London is hosting the Olympics, the team GB and NI football team has been created so that GB and NI have a football team at the Olympics, however only the English FA have backed the idea so the British Athletic Association have basically handed over the team to the FA who have picked their own coaches and will run the team.

Nowt to do with stadiums.

This actually follows the process that other sports use whereby the highest ranked individual association takes control of the GB team come the Olympics....I presume they have followed on from this coupled with the fact that the other FA's are worried about their individuality even though FIFA have clearly stated it will not be affected!!

Calls my attention that only one person here called Giggs to the team. I can't since I'm already in a national team. Speaking of that, If my national team qualifies for the Olympics, can I take the U-23 seat without losing my place as the manager of the main team?

Calls my attention that only one person here called Giggs to the team. I can't since I'm already in a national team. Speaking of that, If my national team qualifies for the Olympics, can I take the U-23 seat without losing my place as the manager of the main team?

Yeah you get the option shortly before the Olympics asking you if you want to manage the team for the Olympics or delegating it

My 3 old players were Hart, A Cole and Rooney. Non-English were Bale and Ramsey. Had some fun managing this team, smashing NZ 8-0 in the group stage, Brazil 4-0 in the semis but lost to Spain in the final.

Then resigned before they had chance to force me to resign.

• 4 weeks later...

Here was my squad for the Olympics. I tried to mix it up nationality wise as much as possible.

Bale was out with a dislocated shoulder.

GKS

Jake Kean - Blackpool (England)

Chris Maxwell - Wrexham (Wales, Scotland & England)

Defenders

Kyle Walker - Fulham (England)

Jordan Spence - West Ham (England)

Craig Cathcart - Blackpool (N. Ireland)

Danny Wilson - Liverpool (Scotland)

Kieran Gibbs - Arsenal (England)

Aaron Hughes - Fulham (N. Ireland) *

Midfielders

Jack Rodwell - Everton (England)

Marc Albrighton - Aston Villa (England)

John Fleck - Rangers (Scotland)

Aaron Ramsey - Arsenal (Wales)

Tom Cleverley - Man Utd (England)

David Beckham - Unattached (England) *

Ryan Giggs - Man Utd (Wales) *

Strikers

Danny Welbeck - Man Utd (England)

Leigh Griffiths - Wolves (Scotland)

Jay Emmanuel Thomas - Ipswich (England)

* Three players allowed over the age of 25

Jake Kean was injured during the games and was replaced by Alex Smithies

Rodwell was injured during the games and replaced by Jonjo Shelvey

Welbeck was injured during the games and replaced by Daniel Sturridge

Lost to Spain in the Semi's and settled for third place with a win over Brazil.

you can have wayne rooney you know.

i had

ST

rooney

welbeck

walcott

MF

Bale

wilshire

cleverly

m phillips

henderson

s sinclair

ramsey

young

rodwell

DEF

gibbs

smalling

jones

g johnson

GK

steele

kean

lost walcott early on.

i had some relacement call up problems though (something about represeting U21's so cant call up)

so got wilfried zaha

My squad dominated at the olympics!

-------------------Hart---------------------

Walker ------ Jones ---- Smalling ---------Gibbs

----------Rodwell ---------Ramsey------------

Walcott --------- Rooney ---------------Bale

-----------------Sturridge--------------------

Bench:

Stockdale

Kelly

Wilson

Wilshere