Your Manager Age?

Just curious,

Do you use your real age or make yourself younger or older?

Also, does it make a difference? i.e. The players might have a little more respect for a manager of say 40-45?

I still can't choose my real age, but I choose it to be as close as possible. I think players having respect towards you has nothig to do with your age at the start of the game. It has to do with your reputation which I always have on Automatic.

I think players having respect towards you has nothig to do with your age at the start of the game. It has to do with your reputation which I always have on Automatic.

I'm not sure if it still the case, but the starting age and reputation have been linked in the past. Making yourself older has given the manager a higher reputation despite choosing the same past experience.

I'm not sure if it still the case, but the starting age and reputation have been linked in the past. Making yourself older has given the manager a higher reputation despite choosing the same past experience.

First time I hear about it. All I know is that Automatic reputation gives you reputation similar to the club's (level) you choose at the start of the game.

First time I hear about it. All I know is that Automatic reputation gives you reputation similar to the club's (level) you choose at the start of the game.

We noticed it in my challenge a few years ago, some people were getting better reputations than others despite having the same past experience chosen, it turned out to be the age that was causing it. It was a few years ago though, so I'm not sure if this is still the case.

While we are discussing reputation, ive always wondered why we cant have past experience set to none seeing as its tied to reputation this would give a much more realistic view to people just starting out.

That would be the equivalent of a person taking a manager job at a football club without any past history in the sport, which sounds a bit unrealistic. Are there any examples of managers who have not even played at Sunday league level?

We noticed it in my challenge a few years ago, some people were getting better reputations than others despite having the same past experience chosen, it turned out to be the age that was causing it. It was a few years ago though, so I'm not sure if this is still the case.

That would be interesting to have confirmed or denied on FM12 then.

While we are discussing reputation, ive always wondered why we cant have past experience set to none seeing as its tied to reputation this would give a much more realistic view to people just starting out.

I would like this too. :thup: I always set it to Automatic as it suits me the best because I was nothing other options suggest.

Thank you for the information dafuge. That's good to know, but I'm still sticking with the policy of choosing as close to my real age as I can.

That would be the equivalent of a person taking a manager job at a football club without any past history in the sport, which sounds a bit unrealistic. Are there any examples of manager who have not even played at Sunday league level?

As much as it's unrealistic it's also realistic as I wasn't even Sunday League Footballer and I want to manage Manchester United in FM 2012. :D

I always thought of it as the level you attained as a player, but clubs do take managers who retired and didnt go straight into it. i.e Shearer. (though it was only 3 years out?)

Oh...and I dont think Villas Boas played for anyone. Robson hired him as something at 17 years old I think.

I always thought of it as the level you attained as a player, but clubs do take managers who retired and didnt go straight into it. i.e Shearer. (though it was only 3 years out?)

Oh...and I dont think Villas Boas played for anyone. Robson hired him as something at 17 years old I think.

Don't forget The Special One. He was Robson's translator at Barcelona. Never player adult football at any level.

Don't forget The Special One. He was Robson's translator at Barcelona. Never player adult football at any level.

You are wrong. He played senior football at Rio Ave, Belenenses and two other spells at unknown teams. He did play some football.

But André Villas-Boas didn't ever play football, he was hired by Robson at a young age and worked in the coaching staff since then. So it is possible, but very unlikely for a manager to have no on-field experience and become a great manager, although I am sure it happens in low level leagues.

As far as my age in the game goes, I usually set it at 37-38, although I am 20 IRL. But 20 is too young and I wish the game to be as realistic as possible. That is the age that a manager would start.

Literally the ONLY thing I use FMRTE for...

Although FM12 should be the last version where I can't set the correct age in-game.

Same as me, I dont know why they dont just allow the manager to be any age over 18. I admit a 15 year old manager would be pushing it a bit.

Does anybody know what are the exact age limits? I susspect it's around 25-100... am I correct? Anyway, I'm really frustrated with this "feature".

In one of my games, I've searched for the youngest manager in the database, and as I remember he was around 20 or 21. Sure he ran a truly small and obscure club, but that is not the point! Guy Roux took over Auxerre at the age of 23. Andre Villas-Boas was a manager of British Virgin Islands at the age of only 21. I really see no reason that it would be "unrealistic" to start my career in FM at that age.

Always used real birthdate though until last year the age was bumped up (still wasn't quite there but close enough that I think the game kept it as it was anyway). Also real second nationality which will be interesting as I'll be running that nation for the first time on 12.

Archived