Your best transfer on FM so far...

Hey everyone,

I'm just curious as to what deals people have made and see as their best transfer so far. Is it signing a big time Charlie for a small club or a player that surpassed your expectations??? Give us an insight into the game that the deal is from...

For me my best transfer has got to be:

Signing Anthony Pilkington for £750k and Shane Long for £500k... both players I expected would perform well in the Championship but what I didn't expect was for them to be still in my side if I made the premiership.

I currently managed Sheffield United and have made them into a side that can survive in the premiership. Long has been my top scorer for the past 3 seasons with Pilkington being the top assister for the past 3 seasons... both are performing consistently better than some household names like Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

So what's your best deal?

Probably this guy, signed for £300k back in 2018/19 season as i thought he looked decent, didnt expect him to do so well though.

Played over 450 games for the club and has recently become captain too. The interest in him has been non-stop too from various top clubs, but luckily i kept hold of him.

i just took a 35 year old Wayne Rooney to Aberdeen, debut hattrick, loving it!!!

My best in this save would be a young american/english regen i bought, cost £2.5m scored 43 goals in 38 league games and Man U gave me £25m for him one season later.

Playing the extended (including fictional) Brazilian leagues as Monte Cristo (GO) and it has to be a striker by the name of Alexandre. 6 starts 10 goals, 6 assists. Cannie argue so far!

As for previous FM's... a faceinthegame by the same of Sandy Pettigrew (JamboLad on here) was outstanding last season for my Real Oviedo side :D

My longest save ever on FM09 included getting Chris Cohen on a free after taking over at a struggling Reading in 2011. Went on to be have top assists year after year, as well as an impressive avg and decent goal tally, also made best player at the world cup 2018

For me it was journeyman striker Lenny Nangis in the 2019/20 season for my Championship Sheff Wed side. Got him on a free from Cardiff after 3 seasons of indifferent form, but the guy had all the things I valued in a striker, pace, finishing and composure. 7 seasons on and he has scored 233 goals and finished top scorer for the last 6 seasons, he has been the catalyst for some stunning success culminating in the Premiership title and European Cup last season after 15 seasons in the game and the first time I have won the EC since FM2008.

This guy for me is my standout signing on any FM ever. Even better than Maxim Tsigalko on CM01/02!

Simon Cox on a free. Regularly scores 15+ a season in my Ipswich side, never seen a match rating below 6.8 and has averaged 7.24 in the three seasons he's been with me. Even scored a wonder goal against Barcelona in the Champions League to get me into the knock outs.

I would probably say the most surprising would be nilmar when he was still in brazil (Im thinking in FM07).

Every time I played him he scored. Be it as a sub or as a starter. Problem was I already had rooney, saha, and RVN.

Eventually I loaned him out because I felt bad not playing him but I didn't want to sell him. He went to Roma and dam near scored every game (including twice in 10 minutes in the champions league semi-final).

Unfortunately once that season was over, I stopped playing that FM and moved on to the next one.

My best transfer on FM11 so far has to be Nathan Delfouneso. I signed him in June 2013 for £1.5million for Bristol City after i had just been relegated from the premier league. He started off slow though as he only got 9 goals in 31 games in the championship when I got promoted but then started scoring prolifically after I got promoted. He has scored 161 goals in 217 league games for me. He has 247 goals in 299 games overall. I'm now in December 2019 and he has scored 30+ league goals in the past 2 seasons and already has 19 league goals in 16 games this season.

Zigic FM07 for Ipswich in Prem, him and Danny Haynes scored about 50 between them. Unfortunately he was about 29 when signed him and only had him for 2/3 seasons but won the Prem in that time.

Villa, signed Balotelli from Man City about 3rd season, I finished 7th/8th first couple seasons, he managed to push me into a top 2 club and then I built from there and went onto win the CL within 5 seasons. Never would have happened had I not spent the £20 million on him, scored about 23 in 20 (signed in Jan) then regularly scored 40 in all comps.

I also had Danny Haynes on an old version. He was a legend. Donal McDermott and David Ball were great for me in FM10.

My best overall would have to be a regen called Clive Stancliffe from Grimsby for $350k. He scored 300+ goals. Another regen called Roger Regis signed from Man City was also amazing.

I FM11 I've only finished one season. I signed Michael Owen on a free for my newly promoted Forest team which I was pleased with. I also signed an awesome looking German winger on a free whose name I can't even pronounce let alone spell. I just missed out on Marc Van Bommell too.

I rarely spend big bucks on players. When I do they invariably turn out to be a disappointment.

As Dartford, I was working my way up the leagues, and I picked up an average looking left midfielder who was released by Man Utd. He got a reasonable amount of game time due to the terrible standard of my players, and, coupled with years of dribbling focus training, he became a pretty decent player, and is still first choice left midfielder in the premier league. His greatest achievement so far is probably his MotM performance in last years FA Cup Final win against Bolton.

Granted, I could go out and get someone better, but I really don't want to, and an average rating of 6.97 (I think) last year means he doesn't need immediate replacement. I know that isn't the best average rating, but for a team who is in their second premier league season, I think that is good for what is all but a local boy, seeing as he's been around forever :)

And the fans love him, before I forget. I think he's had fans player of the year for 4 of the last 6 years. Which brings me on to...

Nikola Kalinic. Signed him on a free last year, at the age of 32. Strikers have always been a problem for me, with inconsistency or just generally being awful, and so when the croat joined, I was sceptical. This was mainly due to my worst ever signing, Carlos Tevez, who played 24 league games in his only season for the club, scoring a solitary goal and getting an average rating of 6.51. This was less down to 'keeping the faith', more down to having very little choice.

However, back to Nik, he scored 12 goals in 27 league games in his first season. Now that isn't an amazing tally, granted, but those goals helped propel us to 10th in the table, a good finish for a fairly weak side. All in all, a really useful signing on a free, and he was rewarded with fans player of the year.

this guy cost me 8 million around his 18th birthday. He's one of many superstars I grabbed for a similar price, but his form this season has made him stand out as quite possibly the best player I have ever managed. Those goals... From the AMC slot.

I'm thinking about handing him the captain's armband at the start of next season.

Haven't had a real stand out player sign for me on FM11 yet but from previous versions Pato for Celtic on FM10 after he got transfer listed by Milan is one and on FM09 with a sugar daddy chairman at AC Milan I had Benzema, Laurito, Messi and C. Ronaldo all playing in the same team.

I was managing Leganes a way back and signed a chap called Cedric Baseya on a free - a striker. In his only season he got 32 goals as we finished only midtable (rest of the team was bum). I got an offer of 2.8m from DC United at the end of the season and chairman accepted. I was gutted, but at the end of the day that money allowed me to buy the players to get promoted and establish myself as a mid table Liga Adelante club.

My best signing(s) in FM11 are as follows:

Diego Nunez- An Argie regen who I signed for £2m from Boca and after just 9 matches for me sold to Man City for £14m---Financially thats my best deal.

Christian Benitez-From Real Madrid for £4.5m after 21 goals in 42 matches, he went to Man City (again) for £10m.

I also have 2 regens. 1 English lad, signed from Leicester for £1.2m compensation, an AM/LC, dubbed the next Gareth Barry (which isn't that impressive) but has Man Utd/City/Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea/Tottenham ALL offering £6m+ for him and he is only 17.

My fave REGEN is Gaucho- A 19yr old Brazilian Striker who I have just purchased for £17m with an amazing record of 45 goals in 50 matches for Flamengo.

My best signing is probably Zander Diamond, a Scottish defender for my Barnsley side. Signed him on a free and wasn't expecting too much but after 4 season with his rating being 7+ he has become an Icon and the heart of my team

Zander is a warrior in the game, he has been my aberdeen captain for 10 seasons now, still averaging over 7.3 for a season and he is 37, i think ill still get another season out of him.

I'm on FM10 still, but I think 800k for Barry Ward was an absolute steal. He was already good when I bought him, and then he turned into THIS. Unfortunately he didn't want to renew his contract at some point so I had to sell him. City forked out 70 million. Pretty nice profit margin. He was listed as the best player in the world in the World tab, so probably had stupid potential ability.

Zander is a warrior in the game, he has been my aberdeen captain for 10 seasons now, still averaging over 7.3 for a season and he is 37, i think ill still get another season out of him.

Signed him from Queen of the South, they got him on a free also. I can see him being my Barnsley captain for a few more seasons. He is 34 will be 35 later this season, should be able to keep him going till he is 37 as, touch wood, his stats haven't dropped .. although don't know if he will cut it in the Premiership if I manage to get promoted this season

Signed him from Queen of the South, they got him on a free also. I can see him being my Barnsley captain for a few more seasons. He is 34 will be 35 later this season, should be able to keep him going till he is 37 as, touch wood, his stats haven't dropped .. although don't know if he will cut it in the Premiership if I manage to get promoted this season

what role do you use him in, i have set as a stopper and it seems to work well. It will be a very sad day when he decides to retire, he now has the most ever appearances for aberdeen and is a legend, i cant request a new stadium as it says it is being actioned, i so hope they name it after him, if they dont i will re name it anyway!!!!

what role do you use him in, i have set as a stopper and it seems to work well. It will be a very sad day when he decides to retire, he now has the most ever appearances for aberdeen and is a legend, i cant request a new stadium as it says it is being actioned, i so hope they name it after him, if they dont i will re name it anyway!!!!

I just play him as a a Central defender set to defend. He is a beast of a defender, I want him to become a barnsley legend before he tires and hoping he gets some good staff attributes as I need a new Assistant manager in a few seasons and would love him to say on. Got him tutoring his centre back partner at the moment so hopefully when he retires will have a good replaces lined up and trained to take over

I just play him as a a Central defender set to defend. He is a beast of a defender, I want him to become a barnsley legend before he tires and hoping he gets some good staff attributes as I need a new Assistant manager in a few seasons and would love him to say on. Got him tutoring his centre back partner at the moment so hopefully when he retires will have a good replaces lined up and trained to take over

yeah im doing the same i want him to take over as assistant when he retires, hopefully he has good enough stats! he has tutored all the three other central defenders i now have and pretty much most of the team has him as fav person.

This was his stats up to the start of the season im just starting.

zanderdiamondhistorycar.png

Signed a newgen Aday Santon to my Levante team for 4mil DKK.. roughly £400K.. sold him a few years later for 300mil DKK ~£30m - to Roma. BY FAR my best transfer ever! - I'm now managing Real Madrid and working to signing him for me now! But as he just won WC, EC and was world player of the year AND topscorer at WC he might cost me alot ! :D

But another contender was a young irish DC I signed to Leeds for £50K.. he played over 400 league matches for me in the PL over the next 13-14 years! - He wasnt amazing, but he did good and the last 3-4 I used him alot even though he wasnt very good anymore and I had better players, but as a tribute I played him every game I could! :)

for the 11.3 patch i started a new challenge as Blackpool, from the start of the game they Kornilenko a striker from belarus on loan from Zenit and he is awesome !

he played 49 games in all competitions and scored 32 goals ! so i brought him in the transfer window the following season for 7.5 million and hes scored 24 goals in 31 games with an average rating of 7.77 !

definately my star player.

picking up wellington silva for € 1.1 million. He's an absolute beast, topscorer every season, wins tons of awards an made it to clubicon status

so I'd have to say him, and possibly picking up Dzeko on a free transfer.. which I still believe to be quite amazing ;)

Nialle Rodney - a striker I picked up on a free in the BSS after being released, and 4 seasons later is still good enough for the Championship due to 17 pace and acceleration. Has scored well over 100 goals for us now.

Best signing is dzeko on a free, shame he has had major injuries problems but still beasts the scoring charts when he does play.

Stekelenburg on a free was nice too actually.

Bargain hunter for united here :p

Definitely this guy. Picked him up on a free transfer in June of 2012. (I use a randomly generated database, no real players.) This guy costed me literally nothing, and in about two years, he's going to be first team and probably the best goalie I've ever had. Until then I'm going to loan him out or play him as a sub. I have one goalie who's 35 and has done great for me over the last few years, so I want to keep him until he retires and perhaps take him as a Coach on my team.

2011040700001.jpg

For me, probably this guy. A keeper I picked up on a free from Man Utd as he had my top attributes for keepers in LLM (Jumping, Aerial Ability, Reflexes and Handling), and he just kept getting better. The first time I actually bought a keeper was my 2nd year in the EPL. If the game had any realism he'd be a club legend by now.

2w6gnb6.jpg

Well, I've got 4 I guess, all from FM10. The first two were a partnership, Febian Brandy and Marlon Harewood for Chelmsford City in the Blue Square Premier, both on free transfers They got us all the way to the Premiership as a deadly partnership, with Brandy getting most of the goals and Harewood most of the assists. Brandy got over 150 goals for the club before I let him go.

The second two were both on the same save as the first, both regens, one called Tony Spearing and the other Jonathan Hawkins. I've mentioned them on the forums before, but sadly I have no screenshots. Spearing was a commanding centre back, strong and quick, and even with a decent bit of skill too. Signed from Liverpool for just £2m, he went on to be worth more than £30m, captained the club to the Champions League and became England Captain at 23. Hawkins was a deadly striker, the best I've ever had on FM, broke all club records for appearances and goals, and became a club legend. He was signed from Newcastle for a nominal fee as he had just entered the game. Both great players. At some point, I'll re-install FM10 and find them so I can post screenies.

Archived