FM2010 Blogs - Day 12 - Data editor blog pt 2.

Good evening Miles and co.

Good blogs and videos so far :thup:

If I may, I have two questions regarding the editing of cups (unless there is going to be a data editor part 3 blog in the future).

1)By my understand you can't edit existing cups?

Is it possible however to create a new cup and delete an exisiting one, thereby replacing the original completely ? Basically someway of adding all the missing rounds (the Qualifying rounds) to the English FA cup?

2)If Question 1 is possible

Is it then possible to create the full Coupe de France (French FA cup), which is very similar to the English one (but around 7* larger), but has a key difference - it includes clubs from other countries.

Thank you, and I look forward to FM10 no matter the answers!

I have a question for Miles.

Was the bug with "1 striker, 1 ofensive midfielder behind him" fixed this time around ?

I've posted it after I think the 2006 release, and the last FM release, and it still wasn't fixed.

This bug just kills the beauty of watching 4-2-3-1 formation in action.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=43055

ps. Keep up the good work.

Miles, i want to do a question that i've maid also in a topic, but maybe you can answer here, and it doesn't in connection with this blog.

In the db of fm2010, if a player is born in 1993, but he's born in september-october, will be in db, or because they're 15, they cannot take part in the db?

A little question to miles...

I am host of a online game, this editor can change the time of the matches?

For example

Change the hour of 2da B of spanish league Dom 19 hrs to Dom 15 hrs, the same time who the serie c2 league?

Some managers are in Spain and others in Italy and England, if i change the time of the matches, all managers play the games in the same time.

This is possible?

Sorry for my english :p

Miles, i want to do a question that i've maid also in a topic, but maybe you can answer here, and it doesn't in connection with this blog.

In the db of fm2010, if a player is born in 1993, but he's born in september-october, will be in db, or because they're 15, they cannot take part in the db?

Pretty sure August 1993 is the cut off and September or October 1993 is too young.

Youngest new u18 Charlton have is born in August 1993 and he is in FM 2010. Oldest is born in September 1992 and was not in FM 09, but now can be in FM 2010.

Pretty sure August 1993 is the cut off and September or October 1993 is too young.

Youngest new u18 Charlton have is born in August 1993 and he is in FM 2010. Oldest is born in September 1992 and was not in FM 09, but now can be in FM 2010.

ah...i've understand...but this year, will be different?

Couple of questions:

1) Can we create national team competitions?

2) Are the teams that enter the cups you create completely static, or can we have say a competition where the domestic cup winners of 5 or 6 nations gain entry?

One question about the league editor - If someone builds in the leagues below those currently available in England what is the score with the clubs? I know the clubs exist - they have for years - but what about players? I am assuming they will start with random players or no players? Or has SI added players to these clubs in anticipation of users creating the leagues?

I am enjoying the blogs about the editor. I might create the topklasse in Holland if it is possible the let a league start at a future date? (is it SI?)

I would like to know more about adding cups though:

1. Can we add international cup tournaments between for instance the nr's 1 and 2 of the leagues of several nations?

2. Can we set rules such as "at least 10 players under 23" for a cup? I am toying with the idea of creating a youth cup for clubteams, that will help younger players to develop more quickly and get some good matches under their belts. Would such a thing be possible SI?

Miles can you shed your light a little on creating cups?

And still not very clear to me, can we or can we not change the prize money and tv deals of excisting leagues?

I am hoping for some answers. I am starting to get very excited about octobre 30th. More excited than on any of the other FM games so far. :)

Again, very good. The league editor seems a very powerful tool where you can edit more than I thought you'd be able to. The fact it tells you when something isn't working is fantastic as well. Two questions though, how many sub-divisions can you have in a country, and how many levels can you have in a country?

Hi Miles, thanks for your commitment to producing these blogs, they are surely building my anticipation for the release day. :)

The new Competition Editor is my singlemost eagerly awaited development, as a player who spends a lot of time on new creations with the editor, the scope of what appears possible to us now, is a dream come true. :)

If I may, I would like to seek clarification on something (two things actually) from the interview with Dave Fairburn:

3. What is your favourite thing about the new Editor?

Other than the league editor, I found being able to add players to teams or teams to divisions en mass very relieving. Being someone who edits a lot, I know how many hours this can shave off of potential league swaps or restructuring.

If this means what I think it means, this is going to be awesome. My main concern with being unable to edit an existing league structure, would be the time taken in removing the old (English, for example) Leagues, and having to manually transfer all those teams into the newly created structure.

Am I correct in my understanding from the above quote, that it is now possible to automatically transfer all the clubs to the new structure?

And secondly,

5. How much has being able to edit competitions added to your FM experience?

Oh, it's fantastic, whether you're wanting to make a real league, super league, a fantasy league or just want a new challenge you can do it with this editor.

It was my previous understanding from earlier comments by your good self (and possibly also from 'Ter'), that creating continental or inter-continental Super Leagues was likely not going to be possible, but then I also recall you saying along the lines of, that due to the high levels of interest from us, that you would see what you could do to get around this. Can I now take from Dave's above quote, that it indeed will be possible to create for example, a European or World Super League Structure?

My ultimate editor's dream, would be to create a World Super League, with a Premier Division of say 18 teams as the pinnacle; being fed by (regional) Continental Divisions below it in a pyramid structure, through promotions. For example:

World Premier Division

European Premier   South American Premier   Asian Premier   African Premier

Euro D1                    SA D1              As D1             Af D1  
          Euro D2 (etc)              SA D2              As D2             Af D2

and so on, with promotions / relegations between each (regional) Continental Division, ultimately leading successful Clubs to the glory of the prestigious World Premier League.

Regardless of the amount of time and effort required of me to create such an endeavor, can you tell me if this will indeed be possible for me to achieve?

Many thanks if you have time to reply to my questions.

Kind Regards,

Benn.

My main concern with being unable to edit an existing league structure, would be the time taken in removing the old (English, for example) Leagues, and having to manually transfer all those teams into the newly created structure.

Am I correct in my understanding from the above quote, that it is now possible to automatically transfer all the clubs to the new structure?

The way it looks to me, is that teams are assigned to leagues in the same way as before (i.e. a competition entry in the clubs bit of the database), so prem clubs will still be assigned to the prem, you'll just delete the prem league rules and replace them with new rules.

Got to say, loved this when it was first announced. Not because I'll ever touch it, I'll just download whatever the editor forum come up with, theres bound to be one that stands out and is pretty much perfect.

Miles, would I be right in assuming people can work together on databases quite easily? Because of the quick saves and reay re-editing of the files.

Just wondering about a few things.

Say if I was to create a super league with all the best teams in from Europe (Liverpool, Barca, Inter, Bayern etc), would all the leagues they came from still be running in the game still? So would the premier league still be running without Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City? It would be a bit silly if that was the case. Is there any way to turn certain leagues "off", or just run your own league, with no other leagues running?

Also, with the super league, I will no longer want to partake in the current champions league, so is there a way I can stop the original champions league from running in the game? Basically, because there will be no good teams entering it, and I don't want it recognised as the best competition in my super league game.

That is all, thanks.

Also, about this.

If I was to edit a few details of the Premier league, and I had to make a new premier league, would I be able to/computer recognise that the new league created is the teams that qualify for Europe, and not the "old" premier league.

I'm not entirely sure how this would work.

Comment about these demo videos. This chalk board thing is pretty boring. Does anybody else think so? Is a narrator too much to ask for? I guess it is cheaper to have some one edit a video together over paying another person to do a voice over.

Comment about these demo videos. This chalk board thing is pretty boring. Does anybody else think so? Is a narrator too much to ask for? I guess it is cheaper to have some one edit a video together over paying another person to do a voice over.

Yes, thats what everyone looks for in the videos, if theres a decent narrator or not.

Congratulations on the blogs so far this year - the game is looking very promising and the general feel I seem to get is that things a bit more organised this year ie, blogs going up pretty much on time, site is stable, there is an order to how things are getting released etc.

A question I asked in another blog relating to the competition editor - If you activate or create a new league and there isn't enough real players in for some of the teams does the game create real (white players) at start up or will it just use grey players?

Thanks and Good Luck!

Narrators in videos are usually rubbish and have annoying accents, especially if they are American. Unless they hired Stephen Fry I'm not interested

I'll leave this question in here for one of the lads who is in the know to come back to us with an answer hopefully.

With the new Competition Editor - which is one of the best developments in the game over the past few editions - will it be possible to do the following.

Merge the Northern Irish and Republic of Ireland Leagues into one combined League and replacing the two old Leagues - thereby mixing the teams from both nations in together and having this new League being able to send teams to Europe.

The two old League structures are rendered inactive - with this one single new structure taking over

I love the editor changes for this year, I haven't been so excited since I found out that you could share create boxers online with Fight Night Round 4. Experience of that though leaves me wondering how us forum users will be able to sift through them all to find the best ones. Fight Night has star ratings with every download to help you tell which is good (as judged by the people who have downloaded them) and I can't see this sort of thing being added to this forum software. So will there be any chance of a seperate part of the SI website having a list of them all with the opportunity to rate them or something? If not this then anything else that can help to filter out the meticulous from the sloppy?

The problem I'm expecting is that there will be masses of new leagues created for the likes of Egypt/Qatar/English & Scottish lower leagues with no quick way of deciding which is best. Even if there are strict rules in the Editors Hideaway forum it would help somewhat (with the database creator having to state exactly what has been done with it), but it still leaves you trawling through pages of topics to find the good ones, none of which you can be sure of until you actually view the topic. Call me cynical, but I anticipate for every methodically crafted league, with all the exact dates for the start/end of the season and rules there will be another that is a halfassed attempt from someone that doesn't really know that particular league too well, and no easy way of telling which is which.

The problem I'm expecting is that there will be masses of new leagues created for the likes of Egypt/Qatar/English & Scottish lower leagues with no quick way of deciding which is best. Even if there are strict rules in the Editors Hideaway forum it would help somewhat (with the database creator having to state exactly what has been done with it), but it still leaves you trawling through pages of topics to find the good ones, none of which you can be sure of until you actually view the topic. Call me cynical, but I anticipate for every methodically crafted league, with all the exact dates for the start/end of the season and rules there will be another that is a halfassed attempt from someone that doesn't really know that particular league too well, and no easy way of telling which is which.

Perhaps head researchers could nominate a particular download? I'm part of the Scottish team (Scottish non leagues researcher) and I'm pretty confident my file will be the most accurate that FM allows for the Scottish non-league set-up.

Call me cynical, but I anticipate for every methodically crafted league, with all the exact dates for the start/end of the season and rules there will be another that is a halfassed attempt from someone that doesn't really know that particular league too well, and no easy way of telling which is which.

You're absolutely right.

However, this happens currently already. Its pretty easy to tell how much time someone and effort has put into a database. If their description of the download says something like "i made a super laegue its awsm dl it", then you can tell what is what. Its not always that easy, but when opening the game and looking at things, you can generally get a good idea. If its a league you really care about, you can always do research yourself and see if things line up.

Jack Rudd, me and others have already started a CONCACAF Project that should be pretty realistic: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=143483

When looking through the thread you can see the efforts that people will/have put into the project, and you can generally get a good benchmark.

I imagine that other fan sites will come out with "Official Unofficial Updates" that will probably be pretty accurate.

I'm rambling, but bottom line is its really not hard to tell if a league has been crafted with care.

New leagues have been high on my list for some years, and I'm happy it's easy to put som in, in FM10. But I must say it's a huge problem that I have to do it my self, and do the work for SI. How long can it take for you guys to but in a lot of new leagues? Now we all have to pay money and then spend hours to do the job for SI.

And no I can't just download a file that someone else have put out. I only play with the original database, then I'm sure the job is done well. Im not interessted in spending days on a game and then see teams from andorra wins the Champions League every year, becourse somone had set the prize money way to high, efter five years

You're absolutely right.

However, this happens currently already. Its pretty easy to tell how much time someone and effort has put into a database. If their description of the download says something like "i made a super laegue its awsm dl it", then you can tell what is what. Its not always that easy, but when opening the game and looking at things, you can generally get a good idea. If its a league you really care about, you can always do research yourself and see if things line up.

Jack Rudd, me and others have already started a CONCACAF Project that should be pretty realistic: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=143483

When looking through the thread you can see the efforts that people will/have put into the project, and you can generally get a good benchmark.

I imagine that other fan sites will come out with "Official Unofficial Updates" that will probably be pretty accurate.

I'm rambling, but bottom line is its really not hard to tell if a league has been crafted with care.

Sure, I understand what you are saying but before creating (well, replacing) your own leagues didn't seem to be overly simple (trying to avoid errors from swapping teams about) and somewhat time consuming (not that I ever tried myself). With this new competition editor which makes everything so much simpler (as the consensus suggests with the Q&A session in the blog) the volume of databases floating around this year are going to be massive in comparison to previous. That is what I am worried about, but I guess reading the replies in the thread (if not how the user actually posts it in the first place) will help a lot to see just how good it is. Months down the line however there is the possibility of all the information/threads becoming scattered on the forum as it tends to and trawling through everything might become a bit of a nightmare with all the duplicates. You have got me thinking though, on the flip side with it being on the forum maybe it won't be so bad, and that once a perfect recreation of a league is around everyone will accept that there's no point in adding their own attempts.

Regardless, it will be free and to my benefit, even if I have to dig a little to find what I want I suppose. I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to add new leagues anyway :thup:

New leagues have been high on my list for some years, and I'm happy it's easy to put som in, in FM10. But I must say it's a huge problem that I have to do it my self, and do the work for SI. How long can it take for you guys to but in a lot of new leagues? Now we all have to pay money and then spend hours to do the job for SI.

And no I can't just download a file that someone else have put out. I only play with the original database, then I'm sure the job is done well. Im not interessted in spending days on a game and then see teams from andorra wins the Champions League every year, becourse somone had set the prize money way to high, efter five years

If Si where to add new leagues, they would need the licenses. To get the licenses, they would either need to win them from EA (Fifa) or Konami (Pro Evo), or buy the the free ones (when some countries refuse to sell the rights, this is impossible). So now, we can easily add our own leagues. Hopefully the beta testers will be allowed to talk more about the editor, so that people like yourself can realise just how simple it is to make these new leagues.

I love the editor changes for this year, I haven't been so excited since I found out that you could share create boxers online with Fight Night Round 4. Experience of that though leaves me wondering how us forum users will be able to sift through them all to find the best ones. Fight Night has star ratings with every download to help you tell which is good (as judged by the people who have downloaded them) and I can't see this sort of thing being added to this forum software. So will there be any chance of a seperate part of the SI website having a list of them all with the opportunity to rate them or something? If not this then anything else that can help to filter out the meticulous from the sloppy?

The FM communities that create good quality kits, badges, player faces and skins will undoubtedly also create good quality leagues. Not to mention the editor forum on here is full of people who are more than adept at creating good leagues. It's really not a problem.

Why Should SI add leagues for your benefit, you can now did it yourself

If Si where to add new leagues, they would need the licenses. To get the licenses, they would either need to win them from EA (Fifa) or Konami (Pro Evo), or buy the the free ones (when some countries refuse to sell the rights, this is impossible). So now, we can easily add our own leagues. Hopefully the beta testers will be allowed to talk more about the editor, so that people like yourself can realise just how simple it is to make these new leagues.

Yes it could cost a lot to buy licenses from some leagues, but I'm sure you can buy rights to add, faroe islands, Andorra, lower div. in Denmark, Estonia ect. for a small amount of money. But I admit that I don't know how many £ and if it is worth it contra the prize for the leagues and so on.

I just hope that SI, researchers, or someone close to SI can come up with an idea how it can be done to leak out an "official" database :)

Why Should SI add leagues for your benefit, you can now did it yourself

Becourse I pay for the game. I could srew up my game by not doing it proberly. SI have the knowledge how to do it right. The SI people can do it in no time. There is a lot of reasons.

I'm not against that it is possible to add new leagues your self, I'm just wondering why I have to do the work. I'm not saying that SI should make every single league in the world playable, but it have been the same leagues for many years now, and it could be nice to see SI throw in a new one once in a while.

So will there be any chance of a seperate part of the SI website having a list of them all with the opportunity to rate them or something? If not this then anything else that can help to filter out the meticulous from the sloppy?

The problem I'm expecting is that there will be masses of new leagues created for the likes of Egypt/Qatar/English & Scottish lower leagues with no quick way of deciding which is best. Even if there are strict rules in the Editors Hideaway forum it would help somewhat (with the database creator having to state exactly what has been done with it), but it still leaves you trawling through pages of topics to find the good ones, none of which you can be sure of until you actually view the topic.

I was also a bit concerned about this, although I'm sure the many unofficial FM sites will have file repositories with star ratings and comments. I do think the Editors Hideaway should get a sub-forum for user uploads though, with a sticky topic linking to the best ones as voted by the community (same system as is currently used in the Tactics and Training Forum).

The Competition Editor is my most anticipated feature of this year's game, I'm really pleased that SI have decided to focus more on polishing the game than adding a plethora of new features too, its a brave decision commercially but I'm very glad they took this path. Very impressed with the blogs so far and very much looking forward to release day!

Becourse I pay for the game. I could srew up my game by not doing it proberly. SI have the knowledge how to do it right. The SI people can do it in no time. There is a lot of reasons.

I'm not against that it is possible to add new leagues your self, I'm just wondering why I have to do the work. I'm not saying that SI should make every single league in the world playable, but it have been the same leagues for many years now, and it could be nice to see SI throw in a new one once in a while.

Many of the leagues not in the game aren't fully researched due to a lack of researchers. They also won't add leagues for countries in which it's not going to sell too well. Each league and cup they add needs coding, testing, bug fixing, testing etc. SI can't "do it in no time".

So what you say is that if I add a new league with the editor ther will be a lot of bugs and no players in the league? Dosn't make sense to spend a lot of time to but in this feature in the editor would it?

Lower div in Denmark are well researched and I'm sure it's the same for many other nations

Great blog again.

I plan to make a restructured Scottish system, and have been waiting for ages for something like this to come around. Glad SI have included it.

As for people producing not up to standard leagues and competitions, that will be weeded out very quickly I think. Generally the cream rises and soon everyone will know which editors will be producing well thought out, planned and tested competitions for the community. Just like when everyone started producing skins, people who didn't make the effort quickly got bored and stopped quite quickly.

You'd be able to tell how well stuff is done by a simple loading of the file, since as they stated in the blogs, the files are simple XML changes files, the downloads should be nothing even to a 56k'er. Download it, load the game, have a quick scan of the rules and scheduling. You've wasted not more than 10 minutes right there, 20 if you're on a slow computer.

We can create league's!! that's great.

can we also create: cities, stadium?

Because i want to make a fake league what I want to add in fm10

Fake league:

I want to chance the name of Liechtenstein in my own create country name (and free all there players, than delete all the liechtenstein teams) I hope, when I chanced the name of liechtenstein ,all the players from Liechtenstein have automatic the nationality of my new country (so my country have a filled national team)

I want to make 4 division with 8 teams (2x home 2x away) so 28 games a season (first 2 promoted, last 2 degrade)

all 32 teams are added in the national cup.

I want to make 32 fake teams all player less, with funny names, all with there own stadium and city.

I hope the new young players in the teams have the nationality of my own created country.

All this, is this possible?

I'm dutch so I hope you understand my english.

Thanks

Archived