Average size for a senior squad?

mine usually hovers at a bit over 20, but lately i've seen that balloon a bit, so i ended up sending a few of the younger ones out on loan. even so, one or two (usually GKs) get sick of not playing so i'm constantly selling good squad players, and the odd big name to balance the books somewhat. i try to promote from within, which is why i have a squad of about 30ish for my current season.

Playing a 442 formation I would tend to have:

1 or 2 GKs

2 DLs

2 DRs

3 DCs

4 MCs

2 MLs

2 MRs

4 STs

GKs are difficult one to call, if I only have two decent GKs I leave one in the reserves and just add him to the bench. If with a bigger club I tend to have 2 in the first team with a 3rd choice in the reserves.

Depends on what level you play, the senior squad size would differ a lot between a club like Aldershot and one like Arsenal :)

For a EPL team that's active in Europe I try to have around 20 players in the senior squad itself, and have about 5 youngsters or backups in the reserves/U18 at a level that can fill the bench in in extreme injury cases.

I play 433 and have;

- 3 GKs

- 4 FBs (2 left, 2 right)

- 5 or 6 CBs

- 2 DMs

- 4 or 5 CMs

- 6 wingers (2 Left, 2 right, 2 flexible)

- 3 or 4 Strikers

- One or two versatile players (DM/CM/AM or RB/LB/CB etc)

Which is about 28, and far too many (about 5 of them never play first team and are always available for reserves)

And generally my backups are between 17 and 23, so i count them as youth

23 for me, just i'd pick for internationals

3 x Gk, 2 x RB, 2 x LB, 4 x CB, 2 x RM, 2 x LM, 4 x CM, 4 x CF/ST in a 4-4-2

3 x GK 2 x RB, 2 x LB, 4 x CB, 2 x RM, 2 x LM, 5 x CM, 3 x ST in a 4-5-1

depends what formation you play, i usually have promising players as the final choice most positions except the wide areas.

1 GK

3 FB

3 CB

3 WG

3 MC

3 FC

They are my world class players. I then have at reserve/youth level

2 GK

4 FB

4 CB

4 WG

4 MC

4 ST

These are younger players ranging from the ages 15/22. If a player doent look good enough to be a 1st teamer by aged 22 he is sold. If they are good enough the older 1 st teamer is sold and a new youngster brought in. so 16 world stars and 22 between backups and youngsters.

Twenty five usually. Normally about eighteen who are proven and kept for senior games only, and the rest up and coming young players who are too good to loan out, but not automatic match day squad. These players get a lot of cup exposure, dead rubber european games, games against very weak opposition in the league and any games after i secure the league (if it happens). They are also allocated to the reserves to keep them fit in case of emergency.

I have 3 keepers too and none of them are unhappy.

My second keeper plays some minor game while my 3rth doesn't play any game. And he's happy with it.

He played 1 match in 2 seasons and his happiness is: "Enthusiastic about his future at the club".

And they're not obscure keepers btw, my first keeper has a worldwide reputation, while my 2 other have a continental reputation.

I have 25 players btw and that is more than enough. Certainly because I have quite a few players that play several positions.

2 GKs

2 DLs

2 DRs

4 DCs

4 MCs

2 MLs

2 MRs

4 STs

........and an extra bunch of promising ones on their teenies who play every now and then to build up their bones and minds.

This approach IMO is valid for all the levels, from Premier to blushield

Not too many, I'm perfectly happy with 20 players in my squad. You can always save on a spot by buying a versatile defender , DM/MC, AM/FC and such. I tend to buy a lot of young players for my U18's so they often get some first-team action, and they rarely disappoint.

I play a 4-4-2 and have.

GK x 2

DL x 2

DR x 2

DC x 4

CM x 4

RM x 2

LM x2

ST x 4

I also have one player that can play both fullback positions and one that can play DR, DC, DMC and CM. I will sign one more before the season starts as you can register 25 players in your Spainish first team so I want the full amount allowed. Although my RB and two of my strikers and one LM are all pretty young and so is one CM.

i found the best team size is when you dont have to scroll down lol.

Agreed, 26 players should do the trick. I usually start selling of "dead wood" in the coming transfer window when this (edit; 27 or more first teamers) is the case.

I always have 2 GK, and at least 2 players for each position (Some backups might cover for more positions - depending on the size of the club). Most of the time I tend to have more strikers than I need; around 5.

I've got a slightly larger than usual squad then, I guess. I've got 33 in my first team squad, although 17 of them are marked to play for the reserves. For my 4-2-3-1 I've got

2 GK + 1 yth GK

2 DR

3 DL

4 DC + 2 yth DC

3 DM + 2 yth DM

6 AM + 3 yth AM

2 ST + 1 yth ST

I play 4-1-3-2 with Leeds and I have:

2 GKs

2 RBs

1 LB (but 2 of my CBs can play left)

4CBs (with 2 youngsters coming through)

2 DMs

6 CMs

4 STs

______

21 players with 2 youngsters coming through with the occasional bench appearance, and also a few regular reserves

Archived